Gisele Bundchen Thinks That Mothers Should Be Required To Breastfeed For At Least Six Months By Law

Gisele Bundchen, who returned to modeling swimwear just six months after giving birth, has some very strong opinions on breastfeeding. Gisele, 30, proclaimed that there should be a ‘worldwide law’ requiring all new mothers to breastfeed for six months.

Gisele famously regained her flawless figure just days after welcoming son, Benjamin Rein.

She said, “I think breastfeeding really helped. Some people here think they don’t have to breastfeed, and I think, “Are you going to give chemical food to your child, when they are so little?”

She continued, “There should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months.”

Gisele gave birth at home and shared that she meditated throughout her labor.

She told September’s issue of Harper’s Bazaar magazine, “Not for one second did it cross my mind that I was not going to have my baby at home. I am not the first person to give birth naturally. Billions of other women have come before me and have done this  –  so why can’t I do it?”

Gisele practiced kung fu for two weeks before the birth, did yoga three times a week and meditated every day in preparation.

“It prepared me mentally and physically,” she said. “It’s called “labor”, not “holiday” for a reason, and I knew that. You want to go into the most intense physical experience of your life unprepared? That doesn’t make any sense to me. Then I was ready and I thought, “OK let’s get to work”. I wasn’t expecting someone else to get the baby out of me. I had to do it together with him.”

Gisele also shared that she dreams of living on a farm with Benjamin and husband, Tom Brady.

“I want to get a farm where I am going to live for the rest of my life. I like the idea of a secluded place,” she said.

She added, “I will have horses, my kids will be riding, and there will be chickens and ducks. I don’t know where it will be, but I have the vision of trees and a lake and mountains in the background.”

Comments

1. Bridget's Mommy says

Lauren——-i have a 3 year old who is tongue tied. When I had her I tried breast feeding but with a tongue tied baby it is impossible because they can’t latch on. So if there was a law that says you have to breast feed for 6 monthe or 2 years what would the law be for mothers with children like my daughter or babies who can’t suck, have a cleft lip or the milk makes them sick? Then what would we mothers be jailed or fined? Do research before you open your mouth

• AUNTY says

when someone makes a comment it cant possibly apply to everyone…there are exceptional cases lyk urs..its a birth porb..which we cannot control..what she meant was we should breast feed them for 6months within our power..dont rely on chemical foods or powder milk..breast- feeding is the safest ..she doesnt m,ean u harm dear

2. Niloo says

I was joking…! Mothers are the most fabulous creatures in whole world. Not everyone deserves to be a mother.
    Good for you Susan. 🙂

3. susantray1 says

*Niloo i’ll come clean and let you know once my son turns 7, how about that.

Until then i’ll have to figure out a way to get milk going through my sucking tits again! Since I stopped beastfeeding three months ago…hmmm

Don’t think you and Dmean will be poping out babies anytime soon due to the lack of not being able to adjust to all of the motherhood needs. There’s a lot more to it ladies. If your only concern now is about breastfeeding then youre in a whole lot of trouble. Make sure to do lot’s and lot’s of research and most importantly needed much more growing up to do. Take tips from a real mommie! Good luck/

4. Niloo says

LMAO Susan come clean, you probably are one of those moms who love their 7 yr old suck their tits! At least Dnice and I won’t make babies just for that!

5. susantray1 says

Geez oh weez Dnice-youre not so nice anymore! Don’t you tell me to shut the hell up. Now that’s a wrap.

Why don’t you make a baby first then come back on here and we’ll have this chat once again.

See ya Dmean!

6. Dnice says

Susan – shut the hell up. You don’t have to have a kid to have an opinion on it. I know when I do have kids once I feel the teeth, that’s a wrap.

7. Niloo says

Actually people can stop commenting at what I said about child molestation if they like! Cause I’ve already clearly had admited that I shoudn’t have mentioned it.

Have a nice day! 🙂

8. susantray1 says

*Niloo child molestation, what? You were way out of your mind to comapre it to such extreme measures.

*Dnice you obviously can’t speak from experience. Makes you sound ignorant.

*Kellie I agree majority of women need to grow up or if you don’t have kids then rather don’t comment at all.

*Kassie you’re probably a child yourself. You sound dumb! Get your facts straight my child.

9. Evie says

Dnice-I don’t care either cause that’s just your opinion. Both of my eldest never ever came up to me in public or whatever and bagged for it, EVER!!! Like I had mentioned before after they had turned 1 “it was more like snack-time for them” 2-3 times a day. Besides, I am a stay at home mom, that’s why I chose to BF a little after a year. Sounds like to me you don’t know what you’re talking about and probably aren’t a mother to really understand the beauty of breastfeeding a baby. Also, my oldest daughter right around the time she was potty trained was when I stopped BF her. And no, they are not “practically a little adult” Now that’s creepy and weird to me for you to be calling them adults. It’s not like I am BF a 7 year old, now that I agree is completely weird/sick. But a 2 year old is completely natural.
    In my opinion if you can produce enough BF and it works out for both you and your baby then I think every mother should be able to at least BF up to a year or so. Anything beyond that age is up to you and your child:)

10. Dnice says

@ Boo I agree with you on that.
    @ Evie – It’s creepy to me, because my 2 year old nephew has complete conversations with me, knows how to ask for food, and is potty trained. To breastfeed a child that is that knowledgeble is to me creepy, he’s practically a little adult, lol. If he can ask for a drink he doesn’t need a breast. And I also detest when I see kids past 1 or 2 coming up to a mom in the middle of a conversation and tugging at the mom’s shirt because they want to feed when he is perfectly capable to request juice at that age. It’s wierd i don’t care what you say.

11. eyesofpearls says

I can’t believe you girls, fighting over some idiotic statement of even more idiotic woman who thinks she is the only one that has given birth and even “meditated” during the process! Raise your kids the way you want, Gisele is just another empty headed bimbo!

12. amanda says

see see see officer i am breast feeding. r u happy now.. home births r not safe. hospitals r more cuz there cleaner and wat if ur baby is breech

13. Granny says

Sorry, we all agree that breast is best but always isn’t possible. Some jobs just don’t work well with pumping – law enforcement, some teaching positions and so forth. As in my case a room was provided but the nature of the job just didn’t make it work. Plus all kinds of other reasons for formula use. We all want the best for our babies but if not for formula many of us wouldn’t be having children. Each woman just needs to do the best she can for her family and not be so judgmental of others.

14. *~Boo~* says

110% agreed!!! My oldest child is 7 and just the thought of him still “nursing” is disgusting, disturbing and all around nasty!!!! As far as I am concerned when they are old enough to ask for it, their too old!!

15. Kim says

Bethany- you’re mentally disturbed if you think that BF a seven year old is OK- that’s called child molestation. Lay off of the seven year old sucking your tits and ask your husband too sweetheart. You’e sick.

16. Niloo says

You can’t be serious Bethany! Breastfeeding a 7 yr old is “perfectly natural” ? Give me a break.

17. Bethany says

Niloo – You’re just an ignorant little girl who needs to GROW UP. Breastfeeding can be continued beyond 1 year for as long as mutually desired by mother and child. There’s no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.
    You might want to get your facts straight before calling someone a pervert for doing something that’s perfectly natural.

18. michele says

eveie you tell em sister! I know i don’t understand what the big fuss is either! It’s not like your breastfeefing a 12 year old. I have a niece who was breastfed up to 29 months and she is a very sweet little girl, not spoiled or rude at all. My sister never breastfed her in public and if she did she was always covered up. We are trying to get pregnant and I know for a fact I want to breastfeed my child at least for a year in a half if not more.

19. Evie says

Oh, and one more thing…People that are “creeped” out or disgusted by a 2 year old being Breastfed are the one’s who are the creeps!!!
    For goodness people they are still babies!! I’m sorry but what has society come to. A 2 year old should not be treated like they are some toddteens. Excuse me for not allowing my child to grow up a few years beyond her age, wow!

Let me correct Gisel-Maybe what she ment to say was if a mother was to give birth and was producing a good amount of milk-then she should BF rather than formula feed. Only if she were to have enough milk-Why not! Also, here in America mother’s have so many easy push buttons, as of course I am one of those mother’s-there’s nothing wrong with that. Coming from Eastern Europe myself, born and raised expectations were a lot higher and harder. Breastfeeding what seemed like to most mother’s was the only option. So people please don’t point fingers and judge. Judging someone else describes the person you are.

20. Evie says

23.Dnice-Didn’t you read…I did have to end up pumping and throwing away my milk…I don’t think there’s anything wrong with going as far as breastfeeding up to 2 years of age. Even my Doc said that, that was even much better for both my child and I and that it was ok. Almost as though it was like a “BONUS” at the end of a sentence! Of course I think now if my child was 3 and over, now that is a whole different topic/story! Besides, it’s not like I breastfed her all day and all night at that age…After she had turned 1-BF was more like a snack before and after bedtime-NOTHING wrong with that;) And it’s not like I forced my kids upon my breast. I look at it this way. As long as my kids are happy and whatever works in every family is best for both you and your children, that’s all that matters in life.

Also both my sister and I were BF up to 2 years…Nothing wrong with us. I like to think we truned out just fine!:)

21. Dori says

any doc will tell you 6-12 months is all the baby needs of breast milk.. 2 years is not neccessary and Giselle should keep her opinions to herself. being in the spotlight and having 1 child does not make you an expert at anything..so shut up and eat

22. *~Boo~* says

7 years old is DISGUSTING, that I do agree with!!!
    But 2 years old is NOT 7!!

No there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding past a year!!
    My initial plan with my youngest child was to BF til they were 12 mos old, and when 12mos came I was still in a good routine, not too mention that my youngest baby was to be my final baby so I had a hard time putting an end to it knowing that I would never experience the bond of breastfeeding again… I started weaning around 12mos cutting back to 2-3 feedings a day and was fully finished by 15mos!!

Anyone who chooses to breastfeed later then a year, Good For them!!!
    The lady breastfeeding her 7 year old, may want to seek some therapy because when your child who is in Grade 1 and is starting to lose baby teeth is still allowed to suckle at your breast, that is disturbing and could require some help!!!

23. Niloo says

Boo, I admit I shoudn’t have mentioned child molestation, but “literally” my post was all about what Dnice said.
    I can’t believe you don’t see something wrong with breastfeeding over 1 year. It should be continued for the first year of life but beyond is certainly not essential.
    My mom’s co-worker is still nursing her son at SEVEN YEARS OLD! Freakin pervert!

24. Kellie says

Geeze.. I have seen worse comments on this blog than any other celebrity gossip site I’ve been to. I cannot believe that most of you are parents. I have to wonder what kind of bitter, negative ignorance you are passing along to your own children.

The majority of you need to grow up.

25. *~Boo~* says

@Dnice, Thanks, But I will take posts as I see them, and too me she was stating that she does FEEL that Breastfeeding past 1yr is Child Molestation… As she made it a point that it,

“Seems like she enjoys her nipples being sucked 24/7! Wonderin’ if she’s going to keep on breastfeeding over 1 year, then that’ll be child molestation”

What about that post doesn’t say her feelings shouldn’t be taken literally???. My apologies that I feel it was a little ignorant and rude!!!

@Samsmom, I’m with You!! I to feel like my children got more nutrients from me as opposed to baby food, and I chose to breasfeed my youngest til 15mos at which point I felt it was time to put an end to it…My OWN personal choice!! Not everyone sees it that way and that is OK!!

IMO 18mos is a good cut off if anyone wants to go past 12mos, When you see a 3, 4, or 5 year old running up to Mommy and pulling up her shirt to Suckle THAT to me is Disturbing! 2 years old is still young enough that its not bad at all! But for me personally, I would not go past 16-18 mos!

26. samsmom says

Yes, Shout it Out. I have never heard of Gerber, I don’t own a food processor. I have never even seen a produce department. Any other milk? What is that?
    I am so dumb I couldn’t even read your post.

Don’t over generalize my post. You don’t even know what you are talking about. Sorry you couldn’t bf your baby past 2 months. Don’t hate on everyone else because of it.

For your info: I wouldn’t give my 11 month old cow’s milk. It is not recommend by health professionals before the age of one anyway. Look it up. I wouldn’t give soy or rice milk to my dog.
    My baby does eat baby food, but in my opinion, she does not receive enough nutrients like DHA from those foods. Breastmilk is the best source of DHA for an infant. Once again, look it up.

You are ignorant. Period.

27. Shout It OUT says

1. Gisele is an idiot.
    2. Anyone agreeing with her is as well.
    3. How one chooses to feed their kid (breast or bottle) is their choice.
    4. Sorry, breastfeeding past 1 year is not needed. Even a few weeks they benefit from it, the bonding excuse is just that.
    5. I couldn’t breastfeed past 2 months. Couldn’t produce enough, nothing helped. I bonded with my child just fine. Many, MANY women did/do the same with imagine that! And with that horrible formula. She’s healthier than all of the kids in her play circle including breastfed and kids filled with toxic shots. One ear ache, 2 colds in 3.5 years. Oh she was premature as well. How can it be!?
    6. The person saying her 11 month old won’t have enough to eat without her boob because the kid only has 4 teeth apparently hasn’t heard of Gerber or doesn’t own a food processor. I guess they don’t have produce departments in her area. Or any other milk. No praise for the wonderful, media hyped soy? Rice?
    #25 isn’t even worthy of response.

Flame on! Since this pathetic site isn’t updated but every 2 months now basically I’ll likely never see your ignorant comments.

28. Wow! says

WHO Recommends 2 years of breastfeeding: six months exclusively then complimentary. Usually you breastfeed a 9 to 12 month old baby three times a day+what they need and mom decides during the night. After 12 months twice or just once a day is enough. That means you don’t breastfeed your todler all the time like an infant, just maybe once in the morning and maybe once in the evening. Breastfeeding a todler was totally normal until the formula showed up in the market. And doctors who are sponsored by formula brands recommend of course formula. And companies of course pay a lot of money for their marketing. If you feed your baby with formula, she is not going to die or turn stupid. We all know that. But I think we all have to admit that human milk is the best for humans! Unfortunately we don’t know much about it and when we suddenly have a newborn in our arms we have no clue how to cope with breastfeeding. We need more professionals around to help us with that. I’m also currently breastfeeding my second son and is great that it works so well. I find it easier than having to wash bottles. Formula is out if needed but we should support breastfeeding first. Gisele with those unfortunate comments is not helping to support that, people will hate her instead.

29. samsmom says

All the “doctors” on here amaze with with their advice. Only breastfeed for the first 6-9 months? After one year of age is enough? Maybe even considered molestation? Oh how the ignorance abounds!
    I am sitting here right now nursing my 11 month old, she has a total of 4 teeth, all in the front! How the heck is she supposed to eat enough table food that will support her nutrition? Even if I did quit now she would have to go on formula or cow’s milk. Her main nutrition is breast milk. She gets more nutrients from that than any other source! Ever heard of DHA people? Also many pediatricians recommend breast milk until 2 years.
    I nursed my son until he was 2, anyone care to report me to child protective services?
    To breastfeed or not is a personal decision, but people need to get off of their fixation with the breast being only a sex object.

30. Dnice says

@ Boo, stop taking things so literal. That was Nilo’s way of saying breastfeeding after a year is ridiculous and I agree. I understand it’s a bonding period but in my opinion 6-9 months is sufficient. And Evie, if you have that much milk, you can pump and dump or hell even sell it on ebay – they have fetishes for stuff like that – but to still be breastfeeding your 2 year old is absurd and slightly creepy.

31. Kassie says

I’m with Niloo. Children do not need breast milk after the age of 1…period. If it’s all about bonding, there are plenty of things that you can do with your child (not baby)! It isn’t even recommended by the Academy of Pediatrics.

32. scarlett says

Who in the world would breast fed there kid until they were 2 yrs old. Give me a break. What working women have time for that. After a year the should be eating solid food or even before. People are crazy.

33. Evie-mommyof3 says

Ok what was she thinking…That sounds so ignorant!!!

I have three children myself and Breastfed all three of them and am currently breastfeeding. My oldest daughter up to 2+ years and son 16 months and now my youngest daughter who is 4 months right now. I always had so much milk that I literally had to breastfeed other babies, mostly family babies and produced so much milk that I had to pump and throw away due to over producing. Now, if that was not the case I probably would be formula feeding my kids instead. There is nothing wrong with that if you can’t produce enough breast milk. I think that is her way of trying to get mediate-media attention and in some way or another bragg alittle:( To me that is pretty pathetic!

34. *~Boo~* says

You consider breasfeeding over 12 mos Child Molestation?? How ignorant of a person are you??

35. Niloo says

LMAO “Worldwide Law”!? She’s just got carried away, don’t mind it!
    Seems like she enjoys her nipples being sucked 24/7! Wonderin’ if she’s going to keep on breastfeeding over 1 year, then that’ll be child molestation.
    Now that she’s given birth to a baby and “is breastfeeding”, she thinks it’s just all about her and says stupid things from time to time…Enough is enough, Keep your comments to yourself Gisele, you’re not Ban Ki-moon for goodness’ sake, you’re just an OVERATTED model.

36. Sara says

I’m a very tolerant person and I tried both ways of feeding my son! I dont consider my response a defensive attitude.

My objection comes from people insisting there is only one option that is right……….my attitude would be the same if someone suggested they made bottle feeding law! It is an individual families choice and shouldn’t be questioned.

37. *~Boo~* says

Why on earth do my comments always await moderation?? This site is ridiculous!! Perhaps you should moderate ignorant posts from ignorant people and not have me wasting my time typing out a perfectly good post, only to have it moderated!!

38. *~Boo~* says

I breastfed all 3 of my kids, The first for 4 mos, the second for 9 mos and the third for 15mos, each child I was able to feed longer as I knew what to what to expect!!
    I do feel that breastfeeding is the Best choice, Not only is it healthy for the baby but it has other benefits like it helps your body get back in shape ( in some cases), It is FREE, and there is no need to pack Bottles and formula as your Breastmilk is Meals on the Go!! That being said, I could NEVER judge a person who chooses not to breastfeed, it is each indivdual Mothers choice! Some try and baby just won’t take, some can’t handle the pain of breastfeeding(it is tough in the beginning, espcially with your first baby) and some would just rather bottle feed…Period!! I don’t think anyone has the right to judge, you do what you feel is best for YOU and YOUR Baby… and leave everyone else to do as they see fit for THEIR own Child!!

39. *~Boo~* says

40. Sara says

Also – I couldn’t have my son naturally………..he was stuck in my pelvis and was in distress. I would have loved a natural labor and birth but each person is different and should be accepted for their individual circumstances.

I’ll stop preaching now and calm down!!

41. Sara says

For those people who think that everyone should breast feed without thought or understanding – SCREW YOU!

I have struggled with multiple miscarriages and 7 years of infertility before I fell pregnant!

I had my son, 8 months ago and tried breast feeding – I hated it but did it for him for 3 weeks – then I had to stop so that I could take my rheumatoid arthritis medication that enables me to care for him and play with him – without it I am completely crippled!

Breast feeding is a choice – if you can do it great, if not then it doesn’t matter……..my little boy is absolutely fine, healthy and far exceeding all his milestones without breast milk.

People are so ignorant and arrogant and disrespectful…….especially Gisele! Shut up and sort your own lives out before criticising others.

42. Laura says

I have 2 children, bottle fed the first tried breastfeeding the second, was the worst 4 weeks of my life…..

whether you’ve had 1 or 10 children it doesn’t matter, breastfeeding just doesn’t work for some people. So no, this is NOT our future and my kids are doing just fine…thanks, breast or no breast!!!!!!!

43. lauren says

I have had five …..5…. !!!!! children…… plus a miscarriage.

None of you have written your true experiences or feelings…… just expectations,
    I don’t care where you are in life… I was by my self alot! and working to support!
    YOU SHOULD BREASTFEED!!!!! NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!!
    I DID FOR AT LEAST 2 YEARS!!!
    BREASTS ARE NOT SEX OBJECTS!!!!! THEY ARE FUNCTIONAL FOR A REASON,,, ( I’M SORRY) YOU DUMBASSES!
    HAVE WE BECOME THAT DETACHED?! YOU PEOPLE ARE AMAZING!

SHE IS RIGHT!!! AND….. IT SHOULD BE MORE LIKE 2 YEARS! WHERE ARE YOU PEOPLE AND WHERE OUR KIDS ARE GOING!
    THIS IS OUR FUTURE!

44. alauren1 says

i agree with kim. this is so sad and completely insensitive. AND…..most women in america have to work. they cant spend 30 min., much less multiple hrs a day doing yoga, etc. would that be nice, yeah. is that reality…no. she needs a reality check, or at the very least, needs to keep her opinions to herself!

45. cate says

That is the stupidist thing I have ever heard. She had a baby she didn’t create the world. I couldn’t breastfeed because of medications that I take. So I should feel that I hurt my child, that I love it less? She acts like she is an expert about childbearing. She should just keep herself busy with her son and let someone else do the lawmaking PLEASE. What a just uneducated thing to say,

46. Another Brazilian girl disgusted by Gisele says

Oh.my.god! What words of wisdom! How could we live till now without this guidance??? Please Gisele, stfu already! Who the hell are you? Who cares about what u think? U’re irrelevant. U have never been and will never been a person of opinion. U are a bimbo who bares some naked skin and steals people’s men…. Nobody is interested on what u have to say, so, cala a boquinha!

47. Amber says

I am an avid supporter of breastfeeding and think that all moms should try but a law seems outrageous. Everyone should be free to choose what is right for themselves and their family situation.

48. Kim says

Here’s a thought- I wonder if Gisele thinks it’s OK to go to an abortion clinic and murder your baby… but yet she wantst to make breast feeding a law???

49. Selena says

And if they don’t what??? They should be jailed? I used to like Gisele until she became a mother and a know it all.

50. Dnice says

Breastfeeding is a personal choice and no one, let alone the government should be dictating if one can and how long they should be doing it. My sister can only breastfeed for 2 weeks and then she dries up, will all 3 of her boys. Love Gisele, but I hate when women become new mothers and think they are the experts. It’s not an experience you can generalize.

51. Kim says

I think it should be a law that Gisele should stick to just standing there and looking pretty and shut her mouth. What an ignorant thing to say!!!

Trackbacks