Scarlett Johansson's Mother Adopts A Baby Girl From Ethiopia

Scarlett Johansson’s mom, Melanie Sloan, has adopted a baby girl from Ethiopia. Melanie missed her daughter’s Iron Man 2 premiere because she was en route to Ethiopia to pick up her daughter, Fenan, who is 19 to 20 months old. (Scarlett also has a older brother, Adrian, a twin brother, Hunter, and an older half-brother, Christian, from her father’s first marriage.)

Melanie was stranded in Germany for several days while traveling to Ethiopia because of the volcano ash cloud. “The volcano put the whole adoption process in jeopardy due to time constraints,” a source told Us magazine. “But it worked out in the end.”
A rep for Scarlett, 25, had no comment.
Scarlett and husband Ryan Reynolds, 33, may soon be following in Melanie’s footsteps. “I have every intention of adopting at some time,” Ryan told UK Glamour last summer. (Ryan’s older brother is adopted.) “I’m very grateful for having my brother in my life. I couldn’t be more pro-adoption. There are plenty of kids in the world that need it.”

1. M says

D your absolutely right. When people adopted or fostered before. The child and the prospective parents were both carefully compared, do they have the same religion, nationality and yes most importantly race- today none of these characteristics seem to apply. The reasons for having these simalarities are v. important, because you want the child to fit in- but that is no longer considered important anymore.

2. D says

There is a lot of corruption in international adoptions. In all honesty, it’s a big money making trade at the moment – and with all the celebrity international adoptions, it’s become even bigger (or trendier, depending on how you look at it). There have been many kids even STOLEN from biological parents to be sold in international adoptions. There are hundreds of thousands of children in the US waiting to be adopted. Although every lonely child in this world needs a safe home, when you adopt an international child, there is more risk of the child losing their heritage, language, culture, etc. (no matter how hard you try to keep them rooted or teach them about their culture). Many people want to adopt from the US not because they are uber-patriotic and only do things in support of their home country, but because there is something nice in taking care of your own community. It makes you more involved in the community around you. Many times, you can adopt in your area and the child can still occasionally visit with their biological family, almost like one big extended family (not always likely or good, but it does happen). It’s also been a proven fact that adoption rates have gone down because the majority of kids are black. That’s really sick, and also highlights problems within the Department of Children & Families.

Consider becoming a foster parent or adoptive parent in your community! It’s not right for everyone, but it’s worth considering…. for the children. No matter how many hoops you have to jump through and outdated laws you have to deal with! Testing your patience and being frustrated with those things for a short period of time… can end up changing a child’s life for the better, giving them the permanency and love that they so deserve! Think about it…

I’m so thankful that people who can adopt children. I don’t think it matters where they adopt as long as they do it legally. Many children need loving homes. I hope I am able to do it someday.

4. Nilo♥far says

And you must be surrounded by some unintelligent people, M! Not gonna call you unintelligent, but you’re not intelligent too, for sure!
    And oh “dear pet” thanks. That’s lovely!

5. Cindy says

And that’s fine to me Niloo if you adopt a child from your own race. That is ok. You don’t see anything wrong with people who adopt out side of their race, which makes you kind and reasonable. You have a good open mind. 🙂

6. Nilo♥far says

And I somehow agree with Cindy! The “Why is that black child, calling that white lady mum?” part, was somewhat ridiculous. It doesn’t even need to be intelligent to know why the kid is calling the woman,‘mom’!
    black orphan children need more care I think. Not saying that white children don’t need as much care as the blacks but there too many who will go for adopting whites but not many of people adopt a black. Like myself if I want to adopt someday, I won’t adopt a black I certainly will adopt a kid from my own race, well there are too many who are like me abit selfish! But again I’ll do appreciate it if someone takes care of a poor orphan black child.

7. Cindy says

M – I could not disagree with you more. Only an ignorant person would look away and wonder why that child is calling that woman mommy. An intelligent person would know that that kind woman took that child into her home to mother him/her. There is a lot more to being a mother than expelling it from your own body. In fact that is the least important thing to being a mother. Anyway, to each his own…but your comments shock me.

8. M says

Cindy Im sorry but to adopt is to take make that child feel comfertable and blend into your home and life with you. Parenting isnt just bonding- can you imagine saying to your own flesh blood, ‘I think I can bond with you?’ Its much more, it is ‘pretending’ that you are their mother when REALLY HELLO your not. So to have a different coloured tone and say I AM YOUR MUMMY, is not right.
    When you have cousins over, family gathering, or other outings to the park and shops and its plain as ‘black and white,’ how can people not look away and wonder ‘why is that black child, calling that white lady ‘mum?’ Really these celebs are being selfish and not thinking about the social side of adopting at all.

9. Nilo♥far says

I agree with the statement that loving the child is the most important thing going. Also, given the way the media dogs celebs, think how fast they’d be after anybody who worked in an adoption agency to buy info on the birth parent(s) and then track them down for “important to know info.” Gimme a break, who wants to go through that crap? I hope Sandra Bullock made sure no one at the adoption agency she used will sell her out.

10. Jus' Me says

Her mother should not have adopted a is simply mockery of law.there should be at least difference of 21 years between the two persons otherwise is not appreciable.

11. Cindy says

And I don’t know about adoption being natural or not, but to imply there is something not good about it isn’t right. Poor orphan children of the world, I am glad most people don’t feel that way.

12. Cindy says

M – Your experience is yours, doesn’t mean it will be the same as another. Maybe the problem you had with bonding was to do with you and not the race.

13. M says

I dont agree with adopting from a different race. Adoption isnt natural anyway, chn will find making that bond even harder- i know from experience

14. EmmaGrace<3 says

That is wonderful. Congrats to Melanie on her new baby girl! ScarJo finally got the little sister she’s wanted! Congrats to them both!

15. Cindy says

I was wondering how old her mother was too.

Also, not to go against you Niloo, but I think Bethany was more trying to say help those close to home first and not that one child is more deserving than another. I also agree with you 100%, it’s too hard to adopt a child from the US. PS> Hope you are well. 🙂

16. M says

I dont get how she was ‘route to Ethiopia to pick up her daughter, Fenan, who is 19 to 20 months old.’

17. Nilo♥far says

And if you remember it took Sandra Bullock 4 yrs to adopt. Yes, there are plenty of needy children in the US. But US agencies put people through hell to do it I guess. That’s why so many go abroad. And Bethany why do you think an American baby is more deserving of a family than a baby from another country? All babies are equal, IMHO.

18. Bethany says

Note to all celeb’s and their mother’s: 3rd world country babies are not the new fashion accessory,just like Jolie wearing her kids for photo ops. There are plenty of U.S children to adopt, ask Sandra Bullock, she knows! Why do stars get foreign kids fast? MONEY stop stars from child trafficking, buying and selling of humans is illegal.