Duggar Baby "Doing As Well As Can Be Expected"

Michelle Duggar told People magazine that she is cherishing every moment with her premature 19th child, Josie Brooklyn, who remains hospitalized at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock.
“Josie is doing as well as can be expected for a baby at her age. We are taking each hour as it comes,” said Michelle, who has been released from the hospital. “We feel so blessed that God has given us to her and are cherishing every moment with her.”
Josie was born on December 10th weighing 1 lb., 6 oz. Michelle, who had been in the hospital recovering from a gallstone, was taken to the OR for an emergency C-section. Her husband Jim Bob Duggar remained by her side.
Michelle’s doctors said the baby was born prematurely because Michelle suffered from preeclampsia, a rare condition during pregnancy that causes high blood pressure.
Jim Bob says the family is “very grateful” for the support, love and prayers they have received from around the country.
“God’s will is what we would choose if we knew all the facts. Our children’s spiritual maturity is going to deepen so much through this, in a way that couldn’t happen any other way,” he said. He added, “This is so difficult, but I know that we are leaving this in God’s hands.”
Best wishes to the Duggar family during this difficult time.

Comments

1. kelly says

i wish everyone would stop arguing, we are talking about a child ere. not merry christmas or happy holiday’s and religion’s. this is about a family going thru a crisis. the duggar’s aren’t living off the state. we are not supporting them. they are just a family,like mine your’s and so on. they can have as many children as they like. they do such wonderful thing’s,work in soup kitchen’s going to a country and helping the less fortunate have a xmas and brought gift’s. there children are such great inspiration’s to our children. please let’s get back to josie. she is in my thought’s and prayer’s..bless the duggar family. i watch them all the time.and it is amazing to see what a loving family is. if there were more family’s like this,it would be a better place. bless you josie,and the duggar family.

2. suvi says

1- While many celebrate Christmas, NOT everyone does. Saying ‘Happy Holidays’ is a simple way to encompass many faiths that celebrate their own traditions during that time. Rather than seeing it as either/or (‘Christmas isn’t included in Happy Holidays’), consider it as both/and. …And for those that feel chided for saying it, then say it to those you know who ARE Christians and DO celebrate it– not assuming that everyone believes as you do (which I don’t). Religious freedoms, remember??

2- I agree with nosoupforyou. To me, her point was inclusion, not exclusion.

3- Amazing how people enjoy such division in “God’s” name. Offering to pray for those that don’t believe as you, etc. etc. For many that espouse Jesus’ teachings, they don’t live by them…and truly, if anyone has religious views, it’s in the DOing, not the preaching.

4- Do I think she should stop having children? Yes.
    Do I believe that’s her decision to make? Yes.
    Do I agree with all of their religious views? No.
    Do I believe that it’s their decision to make? Yes.
    Do I believe that everyone should be Christians? No. Do I believe that that’s everyone’s PERSONAL decision to make? Yes.
    Do I hope for the best for that baby? YES.

Sheesh.

It is surprising and sad to see so much controversy over the birth of a tiny baby. Congrats to them, and I hope that the little one grows healthy and strong.

4. Lark says

In China there are spring festival in December. Children get toy & gift.
    Now live in Boston, we have christmas tree but we are not christian. Is OK to say mARY christmas! Most peopel don ‘t care!

5. carol says

These people are drab and boring, please take their picture of of this site. Don’t want to look at the broodmare anymore. They need to go with god but just go away with him or her and we never have to look at them again or their kids.

6. Dr. Alexandra Jacobs says

I didnt spell or punctuate correctly because I was doing paper work. I do hope that the child is healthy. As every child deserves health, happiness and love.

7. Dr. Alex....yeah right says

To the “Dr. Alexa..whatever the” – if you are so “educated” why on earth can’t you spell, or punctuate correctly?

8. nosoupforyou says

Teresa, I am a Jew. My bible is not Christian nor has anything to do with Jesus, church or the New Testament.

Educate yourself.

9. Dr.Alexandra Jacobs says

1, how in the hell can they look after there children. Children need parents even if their siblings care for them it does not give them the love that a parent SHOULD(the duggars are clearly not!)
    2, not putting your children into gives them social disadvantages as well as they are normal not as clever and acheive less as an adult. I am a psychotherapist and part time social worker so this is fact not my beliefs.
    3, my sister is a gynocoligst and says michele duggar is likely to die early from liver failure or cervical cancer from carrying all those children.
    4, as a mother myself who has three children. I will always put my children first they don’t which is completely irrisponsible.
    5, by making all their begin with j they take away a sense of identity that every one needs. It in my view discriminates nearly as bad as Hitler with the holocaust.

In conclusion they have ruined their children lives as well as their own.
    As I see it they should not be parents at all.

10. Amber says

Ok, so explain this to me, since I am agnostic, if the baby lives it is a blessing, right, and it’s god’s doing? If the baby dies, then what is it? I am not being condescending, I just can’t wrap my head around it. And yes of course, I know that any woman can have a baby with a disability, but it’s a lot different for a family 18 children already to take that risk vs. other families.

Sams mom- I am not foolish, I don’t believe in god. So, how could I say that I would leave it in his hands? Without doctors and medical technology she would die, you can’t argue that point, no matter “how/why” the technology/doctors exist in the first place.

And everyone saying it is her choice to decide how many kids she has, don’t you think it is a selfish choice to the children who don’t get to have the relationship with their parents that most children do? It is impossible to have that many kids and spend one on one time with them on a regular basis.

11. Analise says

I have had two preemie babies. One, born very early and weighing under 1 lb didn’t survive. The other born at 31 weeks and weighing 3 lbs at birth is healthy, active and advanced in all areas not just for her age (nearing 3 years), but older children 4-5.

Those of you claiming this baby for the Duggar’s being a “sign from GOD” to stop having children need to leave in reality. God may or may not exist, but the baby was born due to the Mom’s medical condition. I had preeclampsia with both girls and HELLP syndrome as well with the first. Is that a sign from God I shouldn’t have more children? Because logic dictates the medical specialists who exam and run tests on me are the people with the qualifications to assist in that decision should I attempt another pregnancy.

While her choice to have so many children isn’t something I personally want, it’s still HER choice to make. I realize that choice means only abortion to the rabid right as well as the abortion supporters on the left, but it’s none of anyone’s business how many children this woman has. Except her, her spouse and her doctor’s.

And those of you claiming that Christians haven’t suffered need to watch more than Katie “objective” Couric and her ilk for news. You’re on the internet, use it for something useful for a change.

• Angel says

Analise, did you have HELLP Syndrome with the first, but not with the second? Did the doctors say you would get it with the second baby? Are both babies from the same father?

I ask because I delivered at 37 weeks and developed severe HELLP Syndrome. I was told that my chances for survival for a second pregnancy was not good. I’ve been told to not have any more children.

Just so very curious about your situation. So happy that you have your little child!

12. samsmom says

What, no references to Brad and Angie? They will probably have at least 10 before it is all said and done. But no matter, they don’t call themselves Christian, so they can do whatever they want!

I hope the Duggar baby makes a full recovery. And contrary to a comment above, this baby does not need more than God. God is the giver of life, this baby’s fate rests completely in his hands. How can people be so foolish to think that any man or doctor can do more than God?

I’ve never watched the show, but 19 kids is absurd. Who is really raising them all? The other kids must be heavily involved because there’s no way only 2 adults could do it all. I guess there are benefits to a large family, but I think that’s just too much. I hope their newest baby is okay.

14. Tam says

lol #42 the dad has actually said he hopes to have 350 grandchildren one day.. i saw him say that on an interview..

15. morvicaud says

Think for a second what would happen if everyone of their children had 19 small Duggars on their own too … Oo

16. carol says

Well I say it’s about time the Highter Power sent them a mesg to stop having kids. Why is it that the Gosslins get slammed for putting their 8 kids on TV, and let me remind you they only had to pregnancies, but every one seems fine that these strange people put thier 18 on TV. I have only watched their show once when it was a special and they talked how the support their family by being frugal and buying used clothes and Mom makes many of them. Now they are capitalizing on the kids with a new house that TLC finished building for them and nice trips and cars. What happened to there minimalist life style. These people remind me of Extremist Mormans but with one wife. What a crock.

17. Anna says

Doesn’t matter how many children they have. The point is, this one is in serious danger so I will be thinking of them all and praying often during this very difficult time.

18. Dnice says

I’m not a bible basher,but I believe 50% of our own success is in faith and the other 50% lies in ourselves. Their reasoning for continuing to have children is so ridiculous to me. See below:

Michelle got pregnant, even though she was still taking birth control pills. We thought that was impossible, but we were surprised to find out different! Between her second and third month, Michelle miscarried. When the doctor told us the miscarriage probably happened because she had conceived while still on the pill, we were devastated. To us, it meant that something we had chosen to do—use the pill—had caused the end of the pregnancy.

As conservative Christians, we believe every life is sacred, even the life of the unborn. Due to our lack of knowledge, we destroyed the precious life of our unborn child. We prayed and studied the Bible and found a host of references that told us God considered children a gift, a blessing, and a reward. Yet we had considered having another child an inconvenience during that busy time in our lives, and we had taken steps to prevent it from happening.

We weren’t sure if Michelle could have any more children after the miscarriage, but we were sure we were going to stop using the pill. In fact we agreed we would stop using any form of birth control and let God decide how many children we would have. Just a couple of months later, Michelle became pregnant with twins. A double blessing!
    At first our families had a lot of concerns for Michelle’s health and how would we be able to take care of and support our family. But over the years they have warmed up to the idea and have been understanding about our heart commitment to love children like God loves children.

19. tina kearney says

Poor little thing. By the time the baby comes home it will be time for Michelle to pawn her off on one of the older “buddies” like she always does.

20. Amber says

Dee—-you are Catholic…it’s different. I find Catholics usually to be way more tolerant than Evangelical Christians. There is a difference, FWIW.

21. sususu says

Dee: That is because in New York most people are tolerant of other’s beliefs. It is one of the great things about living in New York as oppossed to say Kentucky. New Yorkers do not get involved in others business. Jews live next to Christians who live next to Catholics who live next to Muslims. New York is a melting pot and much more tolerant of differences.

22. Dee says

“Christians do try and shove their beliefs down everyones throats and those that do not believe are shunned.”

Not in NY where I live. People seem to be very tolerant of all the beliefs that are around. I am a Catholic and I certainly never shoved anything down anyone’s throat.

23. morvicaud says

I get annoyed by this God stuff too. Come on! You have 19 children, Duggar! Get a life on your own and leave God alone. It sounds like kiddies who can’t make it without their mums … really pathetic!

24. Dbacker says

Okay, there are christians and jews and catholics and everyone on this siote debating over christians and Happy Holidays vs merry christmas. It is true, Christians do try and shove their beliefs down everyones throats and those that do not believe are shunned. It is true. I used to live in the Bible Belt. I worked as a software engineer for a while down in Georiga. It was the worst 2 years ever.

Anyway- I wnated to know how Josh Duggar the car uses car salesman can balkance the task of being a holy, godly , goodie goodie christian while being a two headed snake used car salesman? Either he is really bad at his job or he is like most other christians and waits until nobody is looking before he choses to sin.

25. jules says

This is NOT a religious debate but a story about a little girl fighting for her life. I hope little Josie is okay but I do think it is time for the Duggars to think about whether they should have more children. This is probably a sign that enough is enough – a woman’s body was designed to have children, but not 19 of them!!
    Duggars cherish and love the ones you have but NO MORE!!!

26. sarah says

I believe in a higher power, i go to church and i pray and have faith. that doesn’t mean i bash people who don’t. i have TONS of friends who are muslim and hindu. and yes, everyone knows about the holocaust, but catholics are being attacked too – in fact, there have been many recent attacks on them in india. that doesn’t mean i go and tell people i have such a big burden and am suffering. nosoupforyou – you’re the one who sounds like you didnt make it outta high-school

27. Dee says

And one more thing-Jewish people are not the only people to have their house of worship vandalized. I am Catholic and unfortunately we had something happen to our church around Christmas actually a few years ago.

Again nosoupforyou-you are not special, your hardships are not unique.

28. Dee says

Hey soupforyou, I have a Master’s and very nice job, as does my husband, and don’t need a lecture from you. You were not personally in the Holocaust so don’t act like you are being put upon, Jews are treated just like everyone else. They were also not the only people killed and affected by the Holocaust, so maybe you are the one who needs an education. Thankfully the Jewish friends I have are not as ignorant and small minded as you are. Merry Christmas to you!

29. gawani says

look, i will say merry Christmas. i don’t care if that is offensive. i wasn’t put here to please anyone of you. i hate when people push their ideals on everyone else. i don’t care if you say happy holidays i don’t care if you don’t want to have any kids i don’t care what you want to do with your own life and beliefs but you better back up when you think you will have an effect on mine!

30. Jennifer says

I think the Duggars are amazing! The Lord has blessed them with a beautiful family. I will be praying for all of them!

31. Teresa says

notsoupforyou: if the Bible has nothing to do with the church then why are there Bibles in the church and all the priest, pastors, ministers, etc. read from the Bible and talk about the scriptures. As for everyone breeding to capacity, not everyone can have children, and some of us can only have 3 or 4, and with all the diseases, wars, and starvation going on in parts of the world I don’t think the earth will collapse.

32. Amber says

A 1lb 6oz was probably born around 24 weeks which makes her a mirco-premie not just a regular premie. There is a big difference. Premies born around 28-29 weeks usually have it much easier then these guys. I work with children with developmental delays and disabilities and have seen what 24 weekers go through. I have also seen two of them end up with severe mental retardation because of their prematurity. I have also seen many others with life long medical issues because of it. Retinaopothy of premaruity, pulomonary issues, etc.

I really wonder how this child will do in the long run,if she makes it.

33. Niloofar says

They believe in ‘Quiverful’ which says children are a blessing from God!
    They’re nothing more than psychotic religious fanatics. Maybe God will call ‘em up real soon and tell ‘em to shut down their baby factory and stop using society! Religious freaks have ruined this world.

34. Michaela says

“Christmas” may be celebrated by Christians, but it is not the ONLY religious celebration occurring during this time of year. In fact, it wasn’t even the FIRST. That’s why saying “Happy Holidays” is tolerant and polite. Christmas does not OWN this time of year. Don’t assume everyone celebrates or that everyone should. You believe Jesus died for our sins — people who are Jewish, Muslim, Hindi, or flat-out atheist do NOT necessarily believe that and some people of other faiths DO find it offensive for you to insist that he did.

35. nosoupforyou says

Nicole, it’s a free country. If someone does not want to abide by their employer’s wishes, they are free to leave. Didn’t you know that?

I do know the word “ignorance.” That’s why I used it. I teach comparative religious classes for adults, along with having a graduate degree. When I see ignorance, I call it as it is.

Teresa: I have a bible. Mine has nothing to do with “church.” If we all were to breed to our capacity, the earth would collapse.

Dee: My people have had centuries of burden and it continues. About a month ago my house of worship was fire bombed.. again. Have you ever heard of the Holocaust? How long ago do you think that happened? I lost family members. Know before you speak, then you won’t appear as if you were not able to complete high school.

36. sususu says

nosoupforyou: Yes, having faith does not make the Duggars freaks; it is the having 200 kids and talking about God every other second part that makes them freaks.

37. Dee says

“Discrimination against Christians? When your people have gone through what mine have for centuries, then you can talk about discrimination.”

Please. There are many people who have and do suffer, you don’t need to act like you are taking on some century old burden.

And I think it is not doing her body good to have more kids at this point. I read somewhere her doctor had advised her to stop. Does she want to leave all her children motherless if she dies???

38. Teresa says

I think some of you need to pick up a Bible and read it. I’m not a religous freak but I do enjoy going to church and hearing the good word. The Bible says be fruitful and multiply and that is what the Duggars are living by is the Bible and if we all would do that maybe the World would be a better place to live and we wouldn’t be in the crisis we are in right now. God is telling us all something and maybe we should listen. Children are a blessing from God and if you can afford it have as many as you can. God Bless the Duggars and all their children especially little Josie.

39. Nicole says

#11- then tell employers to quick forcing their employees to say “happy holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas.” Not everyone is an atheist either. Also, what are we going to start calling Christmas? Christmas is the celebration of Jesus birth-period. Hence the word Christ. Get over it.

40. Tony Peek says

I am praying for Baby Josie and the rest of the family, may she be able to come home soon. I admire the Duggars very much for their faith in God and also for their patience with the children I love to see large families. If everyone would except GOD into their family as the Duggars have this world we live in would be in much better shape, as anyone should be able to see the more people have takin GOD out of our lives the worst shape this world is getting into. Merry CHRISTmas to all. and GOD bless.

41. Lisa T. says

Um, I was a preemie FORTY years ago. No, I wasn’t as tiny as Josie, but the neonatal care was not as advanced then, so it was touch and go on my survival for several weeks. BTW, I am the firstborn. Complications can occur with any pregnancy.

42. nosoupforyou says

Michaela, please.

God does not = Christians.

Sususu: Because someone has faith does not make them a “freak.”

Nicole: Wishing someone “Happy Holidays” does not mean that Jesus is “offensive.” It just recognizes that not all people are Christians, celebrate Christmas or have any faith at all.

Ignorance abounds.

43. Amber says

I don’t think that people don’t like “god”. I think they(Duggars) are religious fanatics and I know plenty of Christians that think these people are over the top as well. If they were Islamic, Jewish, whatever….and said that Allah, God, or whoever told them to have as many babies as possible I would think that they are crazy. I also think that it is crazy and selfish to say that god will take care of it. No, god isn’t the one taking care of it. The doctors are taking care of it as much as possible but it’s going to take more than god to help this child. With a 1 lb 6oz birthweight she will most likely have serious long term issues.

And I hate that Christians get in an uproar because people say happy holidays….Not everyone is a Christian. So, it is a polite thing to say. I once said Merry Christmas to a child that I use to work with and she quickly said…I am Jewish, I celebrate Chaunakah(sp)…I always remember that. So, I say Happy Holidays to include everyone and because it also encompasses the New Year. Don’t take it so personal. It’s not that Jesus is offensive, it’s just all emcompassing to say Happy Holidays

44. Nicole says

Kristy- I totally agree with you. People are offended by God for some reason. Just like everyone keeps saying “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas” because it might be offensive. How in the world is Jesus Christ offensive? What, because he loved people and ultimately died for them? Wow- how offensive. Sususu and Michaela- you both need to grow up.

45. Bridget's Mommy says

Love AZ

my aunt had a baby (her first) and she only weighed 1lb 3oz
    may god bless the duggars

46. Kristy says

Michaela – sususu:
    so just because you choose not to believe in God….why is ok for you to say “psycho God freaks?” These days people are allowed to say anything against God/Christians……just imagine if someone had said “psycho Islam freaks”??? (or any other non-Christian religion) then the comment probably wouldn’t have been allowed to be posted.
    For some reason it’s ok to discriminate against Christians!!!

47. adysmom says

i love how they put the baby’s life in god’s hands…god will take care of the baby…i will pray for them too

48. Michaela says

You choose to believe. Others choose not to. Feel free to pray for us, but please don’t assume that a lack of belief in your god = hatred.

49. shocked says

How could you talk of God in that way? If it wasn’t for him you wouldn’t be blessed…Such as living, family, etc. I am shocked to hear that there are people out there with such hatred.
    I will pray for you!!

50. Love AZ says

One word – STOP!

This is a sign Duggers – her body is getting tired of making babies. Hope the baby is OK but 1.6 lbs. is incredibly small!

Trackbacks