Sarah Michelle Gellar Says That Motherhood Was Well Worth The Wait

People Sarah Michelle Gellar Freddie Prinze Jr

Sarah Michelle Gellar recently explained why she waited so long to start a family with her husband, Freddie Prinze Jr.

“I always say, the minute you start dating someone, people ask, ‘When are you getting engaged?’ And the minute you get engaged, they ask, ‘When are you getting married?’ ” Sarah Michelle told People magazine. “And then the minute you get married, they ask, ‘When are you having a baby?’ ”

Sarah Michelle, 32, and Freddie Prinze Jr., 33, waited seven years before welcoming their daughter, Charlotte Grace, on September 19th.

“Becoming a parent is the most selfless act, and you need to be at a point in your life where you can give up anything and everything for a child,” Sarah Michelle said of waiting to start a family. “I don’t know if you know how to do that when you’re in your 20s.”

Her husband agreed: “I’m so happy we didn’t have kids in our 20s – I just didn’t know a thing. You have so much more patience in your 30s, and I feel like I appreciate this so much more.”

Charlotte, according to her mom and dad, was well worth the wait. “Every day I look at her and I am in awe,” said Sarah Michelle. And Sarah Michelle knows the question that she will now be asked. “The minute you have a baby, everyone asks, ‘When are you going to have another one?’ ”

Comments

1. Analyse says

Very pretty name they chose. I doubt they were intending to speak for “everyone” who has had or plans to have a child in their 20’s. It probably just came out wrong. Clearly they do know, however, what was best for them.

2. Lizz says

Karen and Dnice~
    Just thought you might want to know that they showed off Charlotte in the most recent People magazine with Tim McGraw on the cover. They look like great parents already!! By the way…she’s precious!

3. LaurenofWestlake says

I’ve always been a fan of theirs, but I completely disagree with her comment about having children in your twenties. Just because they weren’t ready, doesn’t mean everyone else in their 20’s isn’t ready as well. Some of us have a more eternal perspective, and were very ready in our twenties.

4. sarah says

i think she was speaking for herself and her husband – it just came out wrong. Obviously there are many women ready to be mother earlier than their thirties. Maybe she wasn’t – and maybe part of the reason is that they’re both famous. I don’t know – but I love them both and they sure have a cutie!!!! charlotte grace is a gorgeous name and she’s a gorgeous lil girl

5. Tempany says

Tia, I couldn’t agree with you more – I thought exactly the same thing when I read her comments. I had my first baby (planned) when I was 23, and my husband and I are just thinking about trying for a second – I’m 24 and he’s 26. I think it’s pretty arrogant of her to assume that nobody out there is capable of doing something (being selfless in their 20s) that she personally wasn’t able to do. We are not all the same as her. I was more than ready to be a mother when my son was born, and I don’t appreciate her telling me I wasn’t , just because she feels she wasn’t mature enough at the same age. It sounds like she is trying to convince herself she’s not alone in feeling the way she does (which she’s not). But she ought to be comfortable enough in her own decision that she doesn’t feel the need to speak for everyone else.

6. Tia :) says

“I don’t know if you know how to do that when you’re in your 20s.” (being selfless)

Maybe SHE didn’t know how to do that, but she shouldn’t put that on every twenty-something out there. I was 24 when I had my first..im now pregnant with my 3rd at 28 and I wouldn’t trade this for anything! My children were planned miracles, I was ready to be selfless. My age had nothing to do with it.

7. Halloween says

I don’t think they knew if they wanted to have kids so they are justifying this comment with why they had kids in their 30’s.

8. Karen Browning says

I been fans of both of them for years, even though I’m not very old at all. I’ve watched so many movies and tv shows with them in it, and I’ve always thought in the interviews for those shows they seemed so different than other stars. Now I really believe it. They seem like two very happy, grounded people who will make great parents. I can’t wait to see pics of them with the baby, but I don’t want to push them either. I just hope they decide to share with us soon.

9. chrissi says

that is going to be one loved baby. great interview as well, shes so honest. love her. Charlotte Grace is adorable as well

Trackbacks