Doctor To Tom and Katie: "Wean Suri Off The Bottle!"

suribottleopt

(In the above pic Suri was snapped (sans bottle!) modeling a Halloween costume in Boston on October 26th)

On Wednesday Katie Holmes, 30, was photographed bottle-feeding daughter Suri on the New York set of her new movie, The Romantics.

According to the experts, Suri, 3, should not still be hitting the bottle. (Suri will celebrate her fourth birthday on April 18th.)

“She should have been weaned off the bottle by the time she was nine months old,” Dr. Jennifer Shu, a pediatrician and co-author of Food Fights, told Us magazine. “By the time kids are nine months old, they have the physical development and mouth coordination necessary to be able to drink out of a sippy cup or a cup with straw. That development comes pretty early.”

Dr. Jennifer Shu says she doesn’t “know why” Tom Cruise and Katie still allow Suri to use a bottle. “You don’t force kids to crawl when they can walk,” Dr. Jennifer Shu told Us magazine.

Dr. Harvey Karp – a pediatrician, child development specialist and creator of the DVD and book, The Happiest Toddler on the Block – doesn’t think it’s such a big deal.

“Sucking is normal for kids when they are tired or bored — as long as kids aren’t keeping the bottle in their mouths for hours” he told Us magazine, adding that it may serve as an emotional security device. “Thumb-sucking is more damaging.”

But Dr. Jennifer Shu told Us magazine that if Suri is using the bottle out of comfort, her parents should “transition her to a different security object that doesn’t cause cavities,” such as a blanket or a Teddy bear.

Splash News Online & Source

Comments

She is a very cute little girl and much loved, I am happy about that. I have no doubts she is a big brat but so are lots of kids, and they aren’t all celeb children either.

2. sidjazz says

Everyone has an opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinion. However I’m so happy that Suri belongs to Tom and Katie so they can raise her however they like. Guess what, so can you guys….when it comes to your own children!

3. Sara says

Nicole- Here’s the official statement from the Academy of Pediatrics:
    “Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child. […] There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.”
    You might want to get your facts straight before calling someone a pervert for doing something that’s perfectly natural.

4. jo says

This article isn’t about breastfeeding! Its about an almost 4 yr old still on the bottle. I’m not a part of their household so I don’t know about Suri not having any rules. But a bottle… at 4? Not worth it! She’s even too old for a sippy cup!

5. Nicole says

Breast feeding over 1 year of age isn’t even recommended by the Academy of Pediatrics people!! I can’t believe that none of you see something wrong with that. Children do not need breast milk after the age of 1…period. If it’s all about bonding, there are plenty of things that you can do with your child (not baby)!! And if you can’t think of anything, then you don’t have that great of an imagination.

6. Kelley says

I only come on this site, every now and then, even though at one time I was on it all the time. The one thing that never changes is the debate with each other and the attacking of other people views. Can’t people just make a comment about what they read in the article and leave the sniping at each other out of it?

7. Sara says

Nicole- No, that’s called “extended breastfeeding”.
    Would I want to nurse a 6yo? No, not really. But I nursed my eldest until he was 4y1m old, and if she’s okay with it, what’s the problem?

8. amber says

Nicole,
    For more information on extended breastfeeding I would recommend this book

Breastfeeding: biocultural perspectives By Patricia Stuart-Macadam, Katherine A. Dettwyler

It really gives an understanding about extended breastfeeding.

Up until the 1900’s in the US the average weaning age was 2-4.

9. ok says

Nicole, plenty of cultures breast feed until age 5 or older. I’m not saying I completely agree with it or that I don’t think it’s a little creepy, but it’s not child molestation and it doesn’t make her a pervert.

10. starshine says

I think 9 months is too soon to get most children off the bottle. I’ve heard the rare story of a five month old that switches to a sippy willingly, but it’s not the norm. However, almost 4 years old is too old for it. I want to have my daughter off the bottle by two at the latest. We just broke her of the pacifier recently, at 7 months, but every time I’ve offered a sippy, she can’t seem to figure it out and gets nothing from it. So, clearly not ready for that yet.

11. RubyJackson says

My co-worker’s sister is still nursing her child at SIX YEARS OLD!! It’s creepy… he walks up to her, lifts her shirt, and asks for ‘booby.’ Yuck!

12. Jools says

Bottle at nearly 4 – ridiculous, she is NOT a baby . Kitten heels at nearly 4 – bordering on abusive. Her feet will be ruined.

All those of you who say its hard to wean – whos in charge? You or the child? Take control and sort it.

13. KMS says

The bottle is a little odd, I must admit. I understand parents who say that 9 months isn’t a “magic age” but going on 4? I’m sorry, that is way too old.

14. amy says

It is not so much that she is drinking from a bottle, what bothers me is that she is being fed the bottle by her mom, like a baby!

15. foxy says

yep i have two children 12months apart so know how difficult it can be, mine have given up bottles with ease and my youngest i dummy. Its only hard if you let it be and drawn out the process by giving in!

My daughter had her dummy until she was over 2 she didnt “need” it, it was easier to let her have it then have to deal with her crying e.t.c but once that first day is over its a breeze! bottles were done one at 22months i just threw it away gave him a sippy cup to have his milk time milk in and that he was a big boy few tears yes but it wasnt hard at all.
    Not all people find being a parent hard or breaking habits hard consistancy is the key to breaking habits, i imagine Suri doesnt get much of that in her life.

16. jello says

Very disturbing that they let Suri be the parent and make the decisions. This is so wrong. Parents need to be the parents. She is going to end up being a lost and very spoiled child.
    They need to read Baby Wise.

17. Sara says

Helen- Seriously? I mean, seriously? How is being a tomboy AT ALL comparable to letting a 3yo wear heels and still drink from a bottle (which doesn’t bother me all that much)?
    And even if Shiloh were transgendered, what’s the big deal? If that were the case, I applaud Brad and Angie for letting her be who s/he is and not try and mold her into this stereotype of what a girl should be like. THAT is gonna cause some trauma.

18. okaaaay says

Nicole Kidman’s baby, Sunday Rose, is 15 months old and was pictured last week with a sippy cup. Tom should know better. Maybe Katie is trying to keep Suri a baby because she can’t seem to get pregnant again.

19. amber says

Helen- I have never noticed that Shiloh is a “tomboy” I have seen her wear dresses and play with dolls. I just don’t think that her parents fall into that “princess” type or maybe that is just “her” personality. Personally, I would rather my daughter be like that then this “princess” Disney mentality where the girls grow up thinking that the world revolves around them and that they need a man to take care of them.

20. Helen says

She is their child let them raise her. I am more worried about Shiloh Jolie Pitt’s gender confusion and extreme tomboyishness that her parents seem to foster and bloggers call creativeness.

21. samsmom says

Foxy you seem to contradict yourself. First you say it is easy to give up the bottle and then that the reason the child still has a bottle at a certain age is because the parent does not want to deal with the crying. The fact is, toddlers are very trying no matter what their level of discipline. The key is sticking with the rules all of the time. I wonder if you are parent, because no parent I know would say that changing any habit of a child’s is easy.

I do not disagree that at this age Suri needs to give up the bottle, but like others have said she is allowed to do what she wants. If Tom and Katie tried to instill rules now, it would be very difficult. I do hope that they will attempt to put some stability in this little girl’s life, but I doubt it. And sadly, little Suri probably needs that bottle to fill a void.

22. foxy says

It isnt difficult to give up a bottle
    step one- throw bottle in the bin
    step two- give the kid a train cup
    easy! the reason children have bottles/dummies at pre-school age is because they dont want to deal with the crying e.t.c
    Over 2yrs old is too old for a bottle imo

23. morvicaud says

It’s not so much that she is still drinking out of a bottle that bothers me, it’s more the fact that Katie gives it to her that is odd. The mum needs to grow up too. Suri is not a doll.

24. Dagmar says

I have children myself and I know that children have the desire for weaning, either at her mothers or at the bottles, for a much, much, much longer time than 9 months! That an „Expert” says something so unreasonable and medically absolutely not at all proved things should astonish me very much. I think every mother (and father) is much more expert than these so-called „experts”. Just wait until the doctor has a kid of herself, than she will have quite different oppinions. Weaning is a process between mother and child and should not be something to be commented on at all. Well, people in Europe seem to have a quite much more relieved and relaxing relation to weaning.

25. Dagmar Kaindl says

26. Denise-Switzerland says

well, i don´t think the bottle is that big of a deal. it´s not like she doesn´t eat real food and lives mainly from sucking on the bottle.
    the heels are a much bigger deal to me. i hate seeing kids in heels, even if it is for a halloween costume.

as for their child rearing, we don´t know much about it, but what we do know is that suri obviously sets her own rules. it will be interesting seeing her in 10 years.

27. Niloofar says

I’m sick of hearing more news of this family, their deeds always sound abit weird to me…love to hear of OTHER celebs!

28. anonymous says

suri is the boss in the cruise-holmes household. she’ll tell her parents when she’s ready to do away with the bottle. spoiled little brat.

29. Amber says

What is the big deal…so she still drinks out a bottle. I don’t get why there is a “magic” age. 9 months…you have got to be kidding me. I have never heard 9 months that is way too early. Every child is different. I highly doubt she will be heading off to college with a bottle in her mouth.

30. Elizabeth says

It is all very disturbing to see, the high heels seem to be a reoccurring theme now. Paired with the bottle it just seems like borderline kiddie p o r n. And I’m sure I will receive plenty of flak for my opinion.
    Look at what Leah Remini ended up with by following the child rearing priciples of Scientology. She had an obese, tempermental, bottle sucking 4 year old princess who slept in bed with mommy & daddy every night. I hope by now that child is off the bottle and has some structure in her life.

31. California Grammy says

Scientology parents are not supposed to have any kind of expectations for normal childhood development???? Three and 1/2 year olds use bottles, baby blankets and diapers? I wonder what Tom and Kate will do when Suri wants to use drugs at 12 or 13. Since they will never have established any kind of parental authority (kind, respectful, quiet – but authority) — will she listen to them?

32. Kassie says

The 3rd comment is very interesting and quite true. She is a teeny little toddler, yet is allowed to do very grown up things such as wear heels and make her own decisions all the time which is probably why she still has a bottle at her age and rarely is seen wearing a coat even on days where it is cold and she is outside.

33. Barb says

It’s utterly irrelevant what any pediatrician, blogger, child psychologist or gossip columnist has to say on this subject. The fact is, it’s irrelevant what Tom and Katie have to say on it, too. SURI is the boss of Suri, just as $cientology preaches it should be. She will be allowed to wear what she wants, eat what she wants, set all her own rules. The really amusing thing is to listen to $ci parents talk about their kids – “he/she is just so EASY! we never have any tantrums!”. Well, of course you don’t! When a child is given total control, what is there to fuss about? It’s weird, and sad, and having the bottle is probably the least of the unhealthy things going on in Suri Cruise’s life.

Suri will still be on the bottle when she is 15 if she wants to be. I don’t think Katie is a good mother at all, too big of a puppet.