Yummy Mummies Vs. Slummy Mummies?

slummyopt

(In the above pic Elle Macpherson was snapped dropping off her children at their school in London on September 10th)

A funny article in the DailyMail explored the issue of yummy mummies vs slummy mummies! It is true that while some moms wear skirts with tights and trendy heels to school drop-off and pick-up, some wear sloppy gym clothes. But do you notice any sort of competition?! I certainly haven’t, but I guess it could exist in some people’s minds! 🙂 After looking at how perfectly chic Claudia, 39, and Elle, 46, look, maybe I should start making a little more effort from now on!

Unfortunately, the only people I ever manage to shop for are my kids. I have a hard time justifying buying new clothes for myself.

Splash News Online & Source

Comments

1. whyamievendoingthis says

Haha I’m definitely a slummy mummy. And I DON’T have time, or the desire to primp and preen at 7 a.m. But it’s not because I live only for my kids, or because I don’t take care of myself. I sleep, I eat well, I practice proper hygiene (I’m not crusty lol.) And the rest of my time and energy goes toward other aspects of my life. It’s not all about how you look, ladies. What are you reading? How are you contributing to society? How do you feel about yourself? Jennifer Garner looks terrific. She’s one of the few stars who seems to be actually RAISING her children, instead of strapping them on like accessories for the public eye, and sloughing them off on nannies the rest of the time, spending hours and hours at the gym and shopping so they can look “presentable.” You know what? KIDS DON’T CARE. They love YOU, not your hairstyle. Do an experiment– for a week, put your hair in a ponytail, skip the makeup, and spend that time reading to your children. Want to take care of yourself? Meditate. Get a massage. LAUGH. Sing. Roll down the hill with your kids and don’t worry about grass stains, or what people will think of you. Do it, and see how you feel, and see how your kids feel.

2. theresa says

thanks everyone for reminding me that I am no where nearly as vapid as the majority of women who comment on this site!

3. Granny says

Agreed, we all have our own style. I have never understood why some people feel that a celebrity should always look “on” even during their down time. They don’t owe us that. I certainly have been known for going out it casual attire and without makeup plenty. I am always clean, but don’t always feel that I want to be glamorous for every occasion.

4. ShinyHappyPeople says

I agree that women need to care about themselves, that it makes for happier moms and is a good example for the children.
    But I also think that some people have a more relaxed sense of style and have no personal need to set their hair and wear lots of make-up or the latest in fashion. If someone is wearing work-out clothes and no make up to drop off her kids, how does that mean she doesn’t care about herself? Maybe she is on her way to the gym or grocery store.
    If someone wants to live in jeans & t-shirts, that is their personal style but it certainly doesn’t mean they are a slob or don’t care about themself. Everyone on this planet is going to have their own idea on what is fashionable anyway – so please yourselves ladies. Wear what you want to wear.

check our our forum for mom’s and moms-to-be….we talked about a similar issue asking if parents dressed up. I don’t know if you’ve seen that show “what not to wear” on TLC but there are so many mom’s who say the same thing “all my time goes to my kids”. I think you can look presentable and spend time with your kids…it’s just as easy to put jeans on as sweat pants.

6. Cindy says

I totally agree with these comments too.

btw, it’s confusing to have two Cindys here. I think I will go back to being Cindyo. 🙂

I agree with all of the comments. I don’t find competition
    from women doing school drop offs regarding clothes, but
    it’s true that you have to think of yourself too, because you
    are a person. When will you start doing things for yourself?
    When the kids are gone. That is when a hubby goes too.
    I have a friend who doted on her kids every turn, helicoptering etc., that now with the last of her kids out of
    the house she doesn’t even know what to do with her
    husband. So sad!

8. Cindy says

Like Jen Garner…Surely, her kids are ashamed of seeing their mom around the kindergarden with those sloppy clothes!

9. morvicaud says

In their pj’s! God no! I mean, if they can’t do it for themselves since they don’t seem to care, they could, at least do it for their children. Can’t imagine how a teen would feel having such a mom showing up near her school! Even if the mum doesn’t get out of the car, I mean … no, no, no! Even my 8 year old boy would care … I don’t remember how many times he told me I was pretty, and my 4 year old is the first one to notice when I get a hair cut. THEY do care! <3

10. phnxgirl says

I agree with all comments so far. I drop my kids off AFTER having taken a shower and dressing cute. It makes me feel better about myself. There are many, many Mom’s who show up in their pajamas, no less, to drop off their kids!

11. morvicaud says

I wouldn’t drop my kids at the kindergarden without having set my hair first. I don’t have any girls so there’s only me I can play dolls with and I definitely do not want to look like a soccer mum … ’cause we ‘re worth it girls! 😉

12. Mami says

i agree with number 1, i think we all should spend a little time and money on ourselves from time to time. If we’re happy and content our kids will also be happy. We are human beings NOT machines, and we need to take care of ourselves as well as our family.

13. Kasha says

Wow, Elle looks amazing!

And webmistress; your attitude is the exact thing that bothers me about women; you need to find time for yourself! All this, “It is just about the kids and they should get everything….I have no time for myself thing” is ridiculous. You are paying NO service to your kids by playing the martyr role and acting like their is no time for yourself or how you could not possibly dream about spending money on yourself. Your kids need to see that you care about yourself and it is not all about them, them, them, them and what they need; it makes selfish kids.