Nicole Richie & Joel Madden Welcome A Son!

Nicole Richie and Joel Madden have welcomed their second child, a boy.

“In the middle of night, the very early hours of September 9, 2009, Sparrow James Midnight Madden was born to Nicole Richie and Joel Madden,” she announced on her website Wednesday. “He weighs 7lbs 14oz. Nicole, Joel, Harlow [their 19-month-old daughter] and Sparrow are all doing well. Thank you for all of your good wishes.”

In February, Joel, 31, took to his band’s blog to announce that he and his girlfriend, 27, were expecting again. “What’s better than winning an Oscar?” he wrote. “I am so happy to tell everyone that Harlow is going to be a big sister!”

Splash News Online & Source

1. Niloofar says

Exactly Cindy, this baby name business is getting so ridiculous, there is something going on about names between celebs. they are kind of desperate to find the most weird name! 🙂

Denise- “Suri” is very old fashioned, I also found out that, people picked this name in 1950s!
    how about my name? it’s very nice, always fashionable and it’s a flower too! hahaha 🙂

2. Cindy says

Very interesting comments about the names. Neat.
    Niloo – I agree with you. The name thing is getting a little out of control. 🙂

Congrat’s to Nicole! I love Nicole and I can’t wait to see her new little child. I am sure he will be as adorable as his big sister.

3. Caelin says

Ah geez…this is actually GRACE and so was the post above this, number #37, but my sister was still logged on when I posted and I didn’t realize.

4. Caelin says

RomeoBlue–Why don’t you go back and re-read my comment b4 u leave remarks back to them that make no sense? I SAID it was fine to dislike the name. What I was criticising you for is for judging them as stupid PEOPLE when you don’t know them. (not for the “stupid” NAME.) I even said “Wow, dislike the name, that’s fine, but i think it’s crossing the line to call them “ridiculous”, “a bunch of morons”, “stupid people”. ” I did not say it’s crossing the line to call the name stupid however, so please don’t start with me on that. Read the comments fully and then respond. Dont accuse me of saying or implying things that I didn’t.

5. denise says

ha ha, funny what different meanings the name suri has.

it actually was one of my top three names on my list while we were expecting our second daughter.
    hubby is persian and i got it out of a persian baby names book. he wasn´t too crazy about it. so, off the list it went.

I don’t come on this site much anymore because in my eyes it has gone down hill since all these weirdos started to come on here pretending to be someone they ain’t and all the bi*hing is ridiculos.
    and it seems all of this has driven others away too sad really it was a good site at once but hay guess it had to happen some time.
    Anyways….. congrats to the couple i think james Midnight Madden would have been very nice more manly i think!

7. Niloofar says

Ava- Pashto ( Dari Persian) is the old fashioned way of speaking Persian. “Suri” is originally an Iranian name.
    Hey and your name means a beautiful melody in Farsi! 🙂

i like sparrow james midnight it goes well with harlow winter kate..

and if harlow or sparrow dont like thier names they could be called james and kate its not of a big deal

my aunt has kids and she named them her 3 boys otto lucas and henry and named her new baby girl rosie

9. honey says

The next would be a Crow for sure! Harlow, Sparrow, Crow…Perfect!
    btw, Suri means “a penis” in my language!

10. Dnice says

I am thrilled for this couple. I am glad they have a boy. I don’t dig the name but it’s their baby and they can name him whatever they want. Congrats to them. Can’t wait to see his pictures.

11. Niloofar says

Denise- I didn’t know that! Persain people don’t use the word “Suri” at all, I think it’s an old fashioned word…I just check in the dictionary and found out that you are right, it exactly means red rose! 🙂

12. denise says

niloofar – i´m surprised that you find the name suri to be a stupid name. considering that suri is a persian name meaning red rose.

13. Trisha says

I have to say, I couldn’t believe my ears when I heard that name. I agree, James Sparrow would have been better but whatever…these poor kids with ridiculous names, I feel for them. I think it’s a game with celebrities…who can come up with the most obnoxious name for their child! Ugh…congrats to them anyway.

14. Romeo Blue says

Felicia – why don’t you learn how to spell.
    Grace – I don’t have to “know” them to voice my opinion on a stupid name, and yes it is a stupid name. To name your son after a bird is ridiculous. There are odd names and there are stupid names and Sparrow is a stupid name. How about Ostrich or Peacock? Would that have been better? Get it???

15. Lila~*~ says

Hmm,,,I have to wonder if ‘Sparrow’ was inspired by “Jack Sparrow” of the “Pirates of the Carribean” movies.

Maybe they just like names that end in “ow”. Their next child could be a “Rainbow” or a “Willow”.

Hey,if they named him “Pillow, he could colaborate with Blanket Jackson- “The Pillow and Blanket Tour”, heh heh

Okay, I’m being silly.

Congrats on the healthy,beautiful boy Nic,Joel + Harlow!!

16. givenchance says

well, if they are celebrities they can not think about giving a normal name for their kid? ))) Sparrow… Strange name for me. so, this is a problem for all famous people: they can not live without all these photos, cameras, articles in newspapers about them… everybody knows everything about their lives.

17. morvicaud says

09/09/09 well, that’s a date that won’t be difficult to remember :o) Wouldn’t be surprised to hear that was planned to :))))
    I don’t care about the name … they had to find something that hadn’t be done before … mission accomplished! lol

18. felicia says

I think i go with Grace comment, in the sense that the couple knows the best for their baby. so Nosoupforyou,RomeoBlue you guys should stop critising the luvly couple with luvly baby. meanwhile congratulations Nicole.

Sparrow James Midnight Madden ??
    Strange name !!
    I think Sparrow is fine~~
    But the idea is from Pirates of the Caribbean Captain Jack Sparrow ???????

20. L.Lodhi says

silly silly name poor kid. I dont like it Harlow is nice and different but not silly Sparrow absolutly rediculous!

21. Niloofar says

Add “Sparrow” to the list of Apple, Suri, Rumer, Ever, Honor, Sunday, Zuma, Bronx Mowgli, etc.
    Although they can name him whatever they want, but there is a child behind the name who will grow up to be an adult in this world. I think some times is better to find the balance and stop trying to be so cool !unique names YES, stupid names NO! BUT actually, it’s NOT the worst celeb name!
    Back to the baby!
    Congratulations to both of them…He will be a cutie for sure.

22. oasis says

i do think harlow got the better end of the deal name wise but at the end of the day, sparrow isnt the worst name around and realistically, employment will always be an optional thing for this child so who cares.

23. Grace says

Wow, dislike the name, that’s fine, but i think it’s crossing the line to call them “ridiculous”, “a bunch of morons”, “stupid people”, etc. And whether or not they decide to marry is really no ones business but their own. Grow up. Such rude and judgemental comments. I think it is unfair to judge someone without really knowing them, and no…watching them on tv does not mean you know them.

24. denise says

first up, congratulations to the two of them on the arrival of their baby-boy.

i´m not too crazy about the name sparrow, but it is not the worst celeb name out there.
    i really like the name james, so he can just go by his middle name, when he is older.

25. Kelsey says

I think “James Midnight Madden” would have been better…skip the Sparrow part! But I’m sure he’ll be a cutie 🙂

26. lola says

Sparrow is not the best name ever! bet he will be gorgeous thought!

but romeo blue why are they a bunch of morons? coz they’ve had 2 kids out of marriage? big friggin deal!

27. Romeo Blue says

Another stupid name by 2 stupid people. These people really are ridiculous. They should focus on getting married instead of producing illegitimate kids. They are a bunch of morons.

28. Lurker says

Well, congratulations, of course, I’m sure he’s beautiful, but.. “Sparrow James Midnight”…really?

What oh what are these celebs thinking..?

29. Sammie J says

Sparrow, really? I’m all for creativity but come on. Sparrow sounds so feminine. Can you imagine him trying to get a job and the hiring manager seeing Sparrow Madden on the resume? Or Grandpa Sparrow….I’m sure he will be gorgeous but the name is not the best, sorry to say.

30. uk critic says

Thats a first then….mmm’Sparrow’ – Sorry but l just love the old fashioned names for boys… such as David my son. But hey congrats!!! l’m sure she’s thriled its a boy..