Top Ten Baby Names For 2008!

Baby Names

(Miley is now is the #127 spot!)

Below are the top baby names for boys and girls for 2008, as compiled by the Social Security Administration.

1. Emma/Jacob

2. Isabella/Michael

3. Emily/Ethan

4. Madison/Joshua

5. Ava/Daniel

6. Olivia/Alexander

7. Sophia/Anthony

8. Abigail/William

9. Elizabeth/Christopher

10. Chloe/Matthew

Emma’s surge to the top in 2008 ended Emily’s 12-year reign as the No. 1 baby name for girls.

Jacob held onto the boy’s crown for the 10th straight year.

Barack moved up a record 10,126 places to No. 2,409. Elvis slipped from 673 to 713.

In the midst of last year’s election, Isha Kallay of suburban Washington wanted to name her newborn son after the future president. But she feared that Barack would become too popular, especially if he won.

“That’s why I named my baby Obama because I wanted my baby to have a special name that other people don’t have,” Kallay said from her home in Lanham, Md.

Though Miley, as in popular teen singer Miley Cyrus, moved up 152 spots to No. 127, her stage name, Hannah — as in Hannah Montana — fell from No. 9 to No. 17.

Michelle continued a steady 20-year slide, falling from No. 94 to No. 103. But that could change now that Michelle Obama is first lady. The names of the Obama daughters, Sasha and Malia, were in the 300s.

The top five boys names remained unchanged from 2007. Jacob was followed by Michael, Ethan, Joshua and Daniel. Alexander joined the top 10 at No. 6 while Andrew dropped out.

New girl names in the national top 1,000 included Isla (623), Mareli (718), Milagros (731), Dayami (750) and Nylah (821).

Debuting among the boys were Aaden (343), Chace (655), Marley (764), Kash (779) and Kymani (836). Beckham debuted at 893, perhaps a nod to the British soccer star, David Beckham, who now plays for the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Click here for the top ten baby names for 2007!

Anyone who names there children something odd are very selfish. They are dooming there kid for life unless they introduce them as a nick name and get others and the child use to the nick name early.
    Sorry people money and celebrity doesn’t make your kid immune to teasing.

2. Emma says

I love reading about names, too. Here is the top ten for Sweden in 2008:

1. Maja/Lucas
    2. Emma/ Oscar
    3. Julia/William
    4. Ella/Elias
    5. Elsa/Hugo
    6. Alice/Alexander
    7. Alva/Erik
    8. Linnea/Isak
    9. Wilma/Filip
    10. Klara/Emil

Anybody interested?

3. Zbella says

I love reading about names. My 3 children all have classic names, but not common names. We know one other boy with a similar name to our son’s. The girls don’t have any peers with their names, so that’s cool.

4. KINA says

We named both our daughters classic names: Charlotte and Émilie. Our younger daughter has a very common name however we found that it meant something. I have two great grandmothers that had that name and one great grandfather that was named Émile. I don’t think you should look at lists when naming your children, the names come when you see their little faces. Also, I am a high school teacher and most girls I have taught with the name Émilie were great kids and very nice personnalities, that does influence my choice of names.

5. Cocoa says

I named my son James, common but strong. I don’t regret it at all. Some really lovely names people are mentioning above.

I was also going to say that this is the first time I have ever seen a string of comments here where people weren’t fighting and saying nasty things…but then #18 came along to ruin it.

6. Ashley says

Being a child who had a name in the #1 spot when she was growing up…along with my middle name being the 2nd….i’m just gonna say it sucks……i work with 7 other Ashley’s……..i love some of the common names but i dont think i want my child to have to use their last intial because someone has the same name… are the names i like…nostly the middle names are traditional and i only love Chloe and Olivia on the list. btw i am obessed with the show Charmed…..

Boys: Wyatt Matthew
    Cayden James
    Logan Alexander
    Rowan Lucas

Girls: Chloe Paige
    Aubrey Sophia
    Haven Nicole
    Piper Michelle

Talia- I like YOUR name! 🙂
    Freya- You picked cute names for your kids, but I agree that Declan is unique and very neat.
    Zuuu- Thanks for sharing Germany’s list! Very interesting.

I always have kept my distance from common names, particularly ones that make the top lists. We gave our kids unique names, but they’re not SO off-the-wall that people look at our kids cross eyed when they introduce themselves…lol. In fact, we frequently get compliments on their names.

8. Talia says

I like the name “Avery” for a boy or a girl. That is what I will name my son or daughter one day.

9. Freya says

Well I do admire more unusual names-for the longest time I was going to name a son Declan, but then I met my husband who was set on more traditional names. We ended up with an Olivia and a Benjamin and I do have some regrets, but at the same time we always get compliments on their names!

10. Zuuu says

LOLA, Aimee is such a sweet name and I love the meaning so much

@Chloe Lucas and Max are cute too 😉

11. LOLA says

hey #1 I have two daughters, my olderst is Sofia and my youngest is Aimee!!! I just love it! it’s not so common anymore, so i know there’s no other Aimee’s in her pre school class.

12. Tiaamii says

My son was born 13thfeb09 hes names alexander-wyatt.

alexander after naomi watts son

and wyatt after my favorite show charmed

by the wai im 16

13. Could it Be says

Olivia isn’t exactly unique- there are at least 4 of them in our neighborhood all under the age of 5!

14. Chloe says

My name’s Chloe and my sister’s name is Emma.
    My nieces are called Olivia and Amelie.

But seriously naming your child just ’cause it’s the same as a celeb is just sad. You should give him/her a name that’s special to you or one that has a nice meaning.

By the way Zuuu, my fave boys names are Lucas and Max 🙂

15. Romina says

Love Chloe, Olivia [my daughter’s name!] and Ava.
    But i just DETEST Emily!!!
    Why would you name your child something so… common?

Im not telling you to call your child Madame Chanel Beyonce [i actually know a ‘young mother’ who named her daughter that!] but come on; the name emily just drives me crazy!!!!!

16. Zuuu says

I like Joshua, Madison and Ava.
    If you’re interested,here are the Top Ten Names in my Country (Germany),do you like some of them?

1. Hannah / Hanna

6. Luis / Louis
    7. Jonas
    8. Felix
    9. Paul
    10. Maximilian

17. Beth says

I agree with the comment above.I gave both my kids common names (beautiful classic names but way too common)I did it because my husband ONLY liked traditional boys names – maybe partly because I was a pushover being a young Mom way back when.I do remember I kept tossing out different names I liked but he wouldn’t budge.
    The day I looked in the nursery with my first child there were sooo many with his same first name.I should have known then!
    (And I do bring it up to him sometimes!)

18. morvicaud says

That’s where you understand why Hollywood celebrities have so strange names sometimes … I gave a very common name to my second son just ’cause I loved it and I will regret it for ever … even if I still love it!

19. Aimee says

well I wont be naming my children any if these names I grew up in the 80’s and 90’s so there was always another girl in my classs with my name.The spelling was just different…My niece has about 6 Emily’s/Emmas in her class