Swine Flu: Confessions Of Paranoid Mom

Ok…I feel a little ridiculous, but I kept the kids home from school today. They are outside picking flowers together instead right now. Our school had a vacation week last week and today would have been the first day back to school.

St. Francis Preparatory School In New York had its school vacation week the week after Easter and I worry that the pattern could repeat itself at our schools with many children and teachers returning from vacations. St. Francis Preparatory School is closed today and tomorrow.

Canada also has four confirmed cases of swine flu aquired by student travelers in Mexico and New Zealand said 10 students who took a school trip to Mexico probably had swine flu, and today it said three students in a second group just back from Mexico probably have it as well.

I may even keep them out for the whole week. This whole thing is so depressing and stressful!

Did you decide to keep your children home from school today?

1. Laura M says

I think is okay to be a little paranoid, because I’m sure those mothers, or people in general, who got the swine flue did not think it was that bad, and we’ve known some of them have died. My brother had the swine flu, and he told me he litterally felt like he was dying, he said he felt so weak and he is paranoid for us, because I have a 20 month old, and he knows she won’t be able to explain her symthomps if she was to get it..But yesterday she got her shot, but I’ll still keep her away from big crowds, I try not t o let her touch everything at public places. I wash my, and her hands often..I am a paranoid mom, and I’m proud of it, becaue it only means I care enough about my child.

Keeps washing your hands and stay away from big crowds

2. Paul says

to this idiot:

7. mslewis | April 27th, 2009 at 4:07 pm

“So, will you keep your children home for the rest of their lives??? Just close the doors and lock the windows and keep them away from all humans, animals and pork!!! That way they will always be safe from harm.
    This is ridiculous. A few cases of flu in the entire United States and a few in other countries. That is NOT a pandamic!! You can’t stop living because you MIGHT get sick. This is not 1918. We have antibiotics and other medicines that will keep people from dying from flu. ”

It good to be careful but not over do it, but learn a little..
    antibiotic don’t to crap for a virus infection and there is not cure for this … oh oh oh and this has very little to do with pork.
    Keep this in mind, think before you type people.

3. Maria says

I just had my baby, and we already went through a cold. Catching it was so easy. I was coughing and sneezing, and my baby got it , too.
    If Swine flu is around, catching it would be just as easy!

Why shouldn´t I worry?

I am also sad about how helpless I am. I can stay at home, but my husband couldn´t….

I realize that as a society, we have no proper hygene habits – especially here in Spain. We kiss for hello, we hug, we speak close, and no, we don´t wash our hands efficiently – there is no hope !

Maybe we learn something from this, and
    somewhere in the distand future we could succeed in educating our children into healthier behavior .

4. Kristen says

I have a 2 month old baby and this swine flu breakout is really scaring me. We live in Texas, so we are #2 on the list of most cases. I am extremely worried about this flu. I have no problem staying home with my daughter 24/7 while this whole thing is going on. However, my husband has to work and go shopping for groceries. I am worried that he will bring the virus home to our baby. If it gets serious enough, my husband might go stay with his parents while I keep myself and the baby inside and he occasionally drops off groceries. It might sound crazy but at 2 months old, I’m afraid there would be nothing they could do for her if she got this virus.

5. Craig says

I hope the moderation delay for my comment above is in relation to item 2a…and I hope that you find evidence to prove that assertion wrong.

6. Concerned Mother in Florida says

At this point I am not sure how I am suppose to react… I feel very worried and to decribe it best scared. I as well have a 3 year old and a 4 month old baby. They are my world and I can’t describe the damage it would do to me and their father if they should catch this Swine Flu. It is very true that this is not just a common flu but this is a seriously contagious virus. And the worst fact about this for those who have babies that are as young as mine there really isn’t anything that the doctors can give to help prevent or treat this virus. That’s the SCARY part! 2nd everyone that has been commenting about teach you children good hygeine. That’s absolutely true but, even though the most of us (parents) do keep on our children with washing there hands and covering their mouths while coughing there still is a large majority of parents that don’t even bother and some adults. And that it what makes us concerned and scared parents that panic. I pray to God he gives us all strength during this terrible time… And I wish all good health!

7. Geenzie says

I am scared also. I have a 3 year old and a one month old. I am not sending my three year old to school next week, and I am going to order groceries via peapod and stay inside. My husband goes to school and he will be working from home until we know more. I just think it is the responsible thing to do.

8. traveler says

-People send their kids to school when the regular flu is going around.

-People send their kids to school on buses that have no seat belts.

-Children play on playground equipment that they could easily fall off of and hit their head.

-People feed their kids mercury laden fish.

-People take their children on vacations via airplanes.

All of these actions (and more) are far likelier to cause a child’s death than the swine flu. Just because the media has nothing better to do than stir up trouble for ratings, doesn’t mean you have to fall for it. If you’re worried about getting sick, improve your hygiene and make sure your kids know not to share food or drink. Otherwise, just go on living your life. In my opinion, staying holed up inside without any social interaction or any recreation is no kind of life to lead. You might as well be dead.

9. MLW says

I have a 4 month old baby too…and i”m very scared….his little body wouldn’t be able to handle this flu.

10. michelle freeman says

I have a 4 month old baby. As a parent you cant help but worry as there is no medicine for them at that age. To be honest im afraid.

11. new mexico mom says

whatever! i can only speak for myself and i must say my children are my biggest asset. as a mother i feel it is my job to protect them the best that i possibly can. i will keep them out of school this week and possibly next, until i am assured it is safe for them to return. you don’t have to have symptoms to be contagious. no matter how many times we tell our children “wash your hands” schools remain a petri dish of germs. ask your child’s school to prove to you how they can assure your children’s health and safety. the truth is this is serious and no one is quite sure what is going to happen. i for one would rather be safe than sorry

12. Marzipan says

I’m keeping my child out of school this week, too and there haven’t even been any cases in my state yet. But I live in a wealthy neighborhood and most of her classmates were away last week plus the train takes a lot of people to NYC right by our house so I’m concerned. And since a 2 year old has just passed away I’m starting to panic a little.

13. BBB says

OK for those who don’t have anything good to say or productive just don’t say anything and respect good and responsible mothers that are concerned about it, that’s what is expected.
    If you are not then that’s your problem, but the numbers are increasing, it is spreading and it can kill you. Now, the whole world is worried about it for some reason, because who likes to be sick??? if you can prevent it, then do it, if youdont mind then go ahead and act like if there’s nothing is happening. I personally wouldn’t like to get it! We should put on the shoes of those who lost their loved ones because of this virus, if we have the opporturnity to avoid it then lets take care of ourselves and our children.

14. EB says

36,000 people a year – or 92 people a day – die from the regular flu just in the U.S. alone. It is far more deadly than swine flu. It’s just old news.

This is something new to report. With a nee sexy name that the public is unfamiliar with.

The media fails to provide context – always. If they report that its weaker than the regular old flu that went around earlier this spring, you won’t pay attention (it is).

The general public get scared, blogs, takes kids out of school, calls each other names over it but, most importantly, they keep listening, keep watching and keep those ratings up.

I know. I’m in the media. I play this game, too. And you all take the bait. You always do … well, some of you any way.

15. catcat says

What the heck does this have to do with celebrity babies? NOTHING! Please don’t post junk like this. Swine Flu is absolute rubbish and just hysteria because the media has nothing else to report than a bad economy every day. They just do it for ratings. Out of 340 million people in the US, what, like 80 got it because they stupidly went to Mexico.

16. BelindaG says

If you are truly worried about your kids, you would be wiser to go to get your carseat checked for proper installation vs. keep them home for fear of swine flu. Odds are staggering more possible that you will be in car wreck than even have a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend who would get this illness.

How about we not let the media spread fear like it is a pandemic?

17. Janet Feeney says

I live in a state where they are requiring flu shots for anybody over 6 months just to go to daycare or pre-school.

As in, we don’t even have a choice. That is how much they worry about a regular strain of flu that has been around for awhile (not even a new and more virilant strain). Of course those shots only protect you from like 3 strains of flu. That’s why my family doesn’t get them.

The best way not to get the flu is prevention. Hand washing, not going out if you have one, keeping your younger kids out of school if it is going around, having what you need at home if one of your kids gets sick.

There’s nothing douchebaggy about prevention and preparedness. I already had a flu that was going around this year and I was hella sick for days. I’m going to try not to get another one, especially this one.

It takes a douchebag to know a douchbag.
    Douchebag ; ) (try to be nice, for once)

18. xenoarrives says

I’d probably pull them once there were cases of swine flu in more than one school, especially if my kid’s school had some kind of joint event with an infected school. Before then, probably not.

19. Janet Feeney says

Also, I’m not getting any crazy immunizations or giving them to my son!! I don’t care what they say!!

Those things are scary.

20. Janet Feeney says

My dad is in the disaster recovery business and he’s been saying the WHO has been worrying about a pandemic for a few years now.

I thought he was over reacting, but just to be safe stock up on food and medicines for you and your family and pets in case there is an outbreak in your area and you are recommended not to go out to school or stores, ect . . . or god forbid somebody in your family gets a flu and you all can’t leave the house.

That’s what I’m going to do.

I am going to keep my son home from pre-school this week because he is only three and doesn’t have to go to school. If he was older and would miss lessons, I’d send him. Once they see if there are more outbreaks in more U. S. dtates, then I’ll decide what to do from there.

Plus I have a heart condition and can’t affford to get the flu. Best wishes everybody. Being prepared never hurts!!! ; )

21. denise says

nope, i´m not worried about it, yet.

i live in switzerland and so far we have no cases of the swine flu over here.

i will keep my eyes and ears open to the news though.

22. mom says

Scientists are concerned whenever a new virus is able to jump from an animal to a person — and then spread from person to person. When the flu spreads person to person, it can continue to mutate, making it harder to treat or fight off.

The World Health Organization has said the current outbreak has “pandemic potential,” and has urged governments to take precautions to prevent its spread. If the virus continues to mutate, drug makers won’t be able to come up with vaccines fast enough.

23. kaycee says

there might be anti virus drugs been released now, there may be only a few cases, is it spreading fast? yes!
    is it harmful to little kids, specially babies??? YES so why be irresponsible and not worry about it at all just because there are a few cases here or is not where you live yet? why wait until one of yur kids get it? I have a little baby and I rather worry and protect my baby than act like if nothing is happening! he can’t even have drugs yet! little kids are not that strong to handle this virus! we MUST becareful especially with our children…

24. BelindaG says

This is crazy. There have been only 40 cases in the US (28 of those are in NY) out of 306 million people. And people are seriously worried? You are more likely to get struck by lightening than get it.

Get the facts straight: there are TWO antiviral drugs to treat it if you get it. Come on people.

25. Brad says

I absolutely agree with the reader who said it is a big deal. Pandemics (which this may yet be declared as such) typically come in three waves. The first is usually a milder form, then it mutates and becomes a more virulent strain the second time around, as it did with the Spanish flu. If anything we have more reason to worry about its spreading, with international travel such a huge part of our lives.

As for anitbiotics, they have no effect on viruses. Also, if the numbers affected grows as much as a pandemic illness is known to do, many hospitals will quickly become overwhelmed and unable to cope with the influx of very sick patients. It is a fact that most every hospital in the U.S. and Canada has a protocol in place should a pandemic occur, and such protocols dictate who will be treated, with regards to acuity. SoOme very sick individuals will be turned away, if their chance of survival is low, and that doesn’t just relate to those infected with the particular virus causing the illness.

Absolutely, if this virus continues to spread and grow in severity, I will pull my kids from school. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. Apparently, according to the WHO, they will know more within the next couple of weeks.

26. Angela says

wow…it seems like it is a pretty serious thing.The truth is, is spreading and when it comes to infectious diseases outbreaks, the most vulnerable are the young, the elderly and the sick, and the “hot spots” for outbreaks are daycare centers, kindergartens, schools, and dormitories.

27. Momoftwoboys says

I might keep my son home from preschool tomorrow. I don’t think it’s wise to send our children out there if they don’t really know what’s going on. These things can spread quickly and become harder to treat. I think it’s best to stay out of the public as much as possible to keep the risk of spreading it much worse.

28. Momoftwoboys says

29. SRydalch says

Swine flu is a contagious respiratory disease that usually affects pigs. It is caused by a type-A influenza virus. The current strain is a new variation of an H1N1 virus, which is a mix of human and animal versions.

When the flu spreads person-to-person, instead of from animals to humans, it can continue to mutate, making it harder to treat or fight off because people have no natural immunity.

The virus spreads when an infected person coughs or sneezes around another person. People can become infected by touching something with the flu virus on it and then touching their mouth, nose or eyes.

30. MWilkinson says

Nobody is saved by ignorance. It is better to know what is going on first before talking. This is not something ridiculus it is serious. First of all it is VIRUS is not a simple flu. THERE IS NO CURE, NO MEDICINE, NO SHOTS for this virus that’s why there are more than a 100 deaths in mexico. It is now spread in 5 states here in U.S and they are preparing as it will be a pandamic. So it is serious!! why don’t you read the news on the internet for those who say is ridiculus?? ponder on you words before saying crap like that! I have lived outside the US in Canda, mexico and other countries in Central America and there is nothing like like being “more crowded together” compared to new york or other big cities like that here in the U.S. So you do have to worry!!!! watch read the news!!!

31. kf uk says

all cases outside of Mexico have been VERY mild and Tamiflu is very effective anyway

DON’T PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. mslewis says

This is ridiculous. A few cases of flu in the entire United States and a few in other countries. That is NOT a pandamic!! You can’t stop living because you MIGHT get sick. This is not 1918. We have antibiotics and other medicines that will keep people from dying from flu. I have no idea what is going on in Mexico but I would venture to guess that their healthcare is not as good as healthcare in other countires. Also, I believed people are more crowded together there than here in the States or Canada.

My advice . . . stop being ridiculous and send your children to school; tell them to wash their hands often and don’t eat food or candy that others have eaten. Keeping your children safe is important but you can’t hide them away to do it!! Be sensible.

33. Craig says

I too kept my children home today. 10% mortality in Mexico…that is twice the rate of the 1918 Spanish Flu. And the government says to remain calm and there is nothing to worry about? Does anyone believe that…is the government acting like there is nothing to worry about?

Mexico’s government reacted the same way, initially. Now, they are closing everything down and have troops patrolling the streets.

Better safe than sorry.

34. Missy_D UK says

It’s all over-reacting hype, so far in the UK we’ve had, BSE, Foot and Mouth, Bird Flu and now this codswollop……..what ever next?

You are more at risk of getting run over by a bus that developing this so called swine flu!

35. theresa says

I’m just glad I’m not traveling anywhere anytime soon – not until July. Hopefully it’ll be over by then. I feel bad for people who work in the airports/airplanes that have no choice… worse yet, how about that guy and his kid in the photo? Rough! My 6 year old would freak out if he had to wear a mask all day. Poor kids!

36. tammy says

I agree with the others I think that it’s to early to act this way. I live in Canada I think when things are as scary as they were back when SARS broke out then I will worry.

37. Keltie says

Absolutely not! My DS isn’t in school, but he attends daycare. 6 cases of this flu in a country of 4 million (in Canada) are certainly not high enough odds for me to even be concerned.