Guy Ritchie "Saddened" That Madonna's Adoption Request Was Rejected

Guy Ritchie has expressed his sadness over Madonna’s failed attempt to adopt 3-year-old Chifundo “Mercy” James from Malawi.

“Madonna is a fantastic and loving mother who cares deeply about her own children, and children who may need additional help and support,” he said in a statement Friday.

“I fully supported Madonna in her decision to apply for this adoption, and I am saddened that her application has been rejected. She is motivated only by being a caring parent who seeks to share some of the advantages and opportunities that her life has given her,” he said of his ex, who has appealed Friday’s surprise ruling.

“This time it did not work out, but there will be other opportunities and I wish her well in them,” Guy concluded. “She is a great mum.”

Madonna and Guy, who divorced last year after eight years of marriage, adopted David Banda from Malawi in 2006.

1. Miapocca says

2. Miapocca says

Its the activist who think they know what is best for the child. They however sit no thier behinds and criticize while they make no move to adopt themselves.
    So far David seems happy with his brother and sister, and she takes him around everywhere. Whatever her motivation, its a lot better than growing up in an orphanage in any country wether the US or Africa

I support her adoption , not because I am a fan, but anywhere is better than an orphanage.

Was Audrey Hepburn a freak? I think not. She married a man much younger than her, Demi Moore, Courtney Cox, many celebs dating younger men, I don’t see anyone up in arms about it either, they still have their fans.

4. Cindy says

I think it sucks for poor little Mercy…I have been re-thinking things. I suppose any life is better than the one she would have staying where she is. I just don’t like the rule breaking for rich celebrities and no one else. Change the laws Malawi government, there aren’t enough rich celebrities out there to break the law for and all the children need homes.

PS. What a little cutie David is!

5. Granny says

I personally don’t think she is too old to have another child to raise, especially since she was hoping to take care of a child already born – not bearing another. Health and financial circumstances usually weigh more heavily that age, especially when that someone is extremely healthy.

And age doesn’t have anything to do with love. A man doesn’t have to be the eldest and the age doesn’t necessary have to be close for a loving relationship to exist. Love is love.

We really don’t know what kind of relationship she has with her children. We don’t live in the home and we certainly don’t go everywhere she does. I notice that often on this site people declare a child not seen in every picture they must be ignored, seen in a lot of pictures and they are being pimped, not held then unloved, held then over protected. Pictures just don’t give accurate pictures.

But if the law is 24 months then this country may need to consider if that is a law truly working for their children’s best interest. I do believe that it was a marvelous opportunity for Mercy’s future.

I myself married a younger man than me and we have been happily married for ten years. Nothing wrong with a older woman dating a younger man, and I wasn’t trying to act younger, I was wanting to be HAPPY! The men have married younger women, dated younger women for years (Bruce Willis just proved that) and I didn’t hear anyone screaming over that! The bottom line is, this child is going to be missing out on a life, a education and an opportunity to be able to help others when she gets older!

Wake up you Fools!

7. Cindy says

Jem, yes she is. There are a few to watch out for, especially oriana, carleigh, and rainne. I stupdily get into arguments with them because of it, but it is so not worth it…

8. Jem says

Sue, was there really any need to call me an “imbecile” for gods sake woman i’m expressing MY opinion, what I personally think, disagree all you want i couldn’t care less. No need to be rude about it!

I have my opinion about the woman, you have yours. I just think she needs to accept her age and stop trying so hard to be young. It would be nice to see a picture of her playing with her kids in the park rather than the nanny.

Is sue usually this rude people?

9. sue says

“She hardly spends time with her kids. She does not take them to parks, spend time with them, or play games with them.” Wow. So, do you live with them?? Too funny how “we” think that actually know these people and what they do! Sad actually. “Seducing guys have her age.” It is called dating you imbecile. Oh, so only men can date younger??

10. Jem says

I’m not suprised she was turned down, i for one am relieved the adoption didn’t go through, it baffles me why Madonna wants another kid when she hardly spends time with the one’s she’s got. The only family time they have is at a Kabbalah center, and i don’t think Madonna is the sort of mother who will sit down on the sofa with the kids and watch tv, play games or take them to the park which is what any loving hands on mother would do. Paparazzi is no excuse, other stars take they’re kids to the park and have fun while the Paps are snapping away and they seem to manage! I think Madonna needs to lighten up and have some fun with her kids, but of course she’s too busy at the gym, on tour and seducing guys half her age to spend quality time with them….That’s just my opinion.

11. Sarita says

I do agree with the ruling because it is the law, if Malawi wants to start allowing foreign adoption without foreigners having to live in the country for a certain amount of time they should first change the law.

I am sure there are many more orphans in Malawi that could benefit by being adopted by foreigners. Why should only the children Madonna picks get the chance?

This is the country’s chance to change the law and give all the children (not just David and Mercy) equal opportunities for a better life, in Malawi or elsewhere.

12. Dee says

Unfortunately adopting from other countries is extremely difficult, almost impossible, which is such a shame because there are so many kids wasting away in orphanages or worse. There are countless families desperate for a child in the US and it’s a shame the process is the way it is.

However, Madonna needs to get over herself and face that she is not above everyone else because she is famous and has money. She thought she was going to just waltz in and out of Malawi and get special treatment.

13. sue says

Eaxctly Oriana! I love these people that act like living in poverty and having no chance of a future is sooooooooo much better than having Madonna as your mother. Give me a freakin’ break. She may be a lot of things, but she has NEVER been accused of being a bad mother! Lordes is an amazing young woman, and her other kids seem very, very happy. So what that she is 50 and has a 28 year old boyfriend. Men have been having kids at that age for centuries while they are dating 18 year olds! Some women LOVE the hate on other women! So sad.

I doubt there are many long lines waiting to adopt a child from there, and I certainly wouldn’t want to live in that country for 24 months. If the government can afford to pay for all the orphans in their country then let them. I think Madonna was wanting to save another child from poverty and squalor, good for her! I am not a fan and never have been but I applaud her in this effort.

Guy did an honorable and decent thing by making the statements he did. Good for him!

15. suki says

l totally agree with the judges ruling, they wavered the first time with the rules, if it had been you or l we would not have been allowed to adopt David-What makes Malawi any different to say, uk rules about adopting! Good on the judge for doing this, Madonna needs to go away and rethink she has to abide buy rules and is not above them!

16. eyesofpearls says

Kay #2 – You call Madonna a HAPPY, HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT???? And you think that little David is happy? He went back to Malawi, didn’t recognize his biological dad and spoke to him through interpreter!!! And you think that a 50 year old woman who lives with a 28 year old boyfriend, who is totally self-centered and runs around the world is a better chance for that girl? YOU THINK MONEY AND USA PASSPORT IS EVERYTHING????? Well, thank God the Malawi court agrees with me!

17. cheetah says

There is nothing wrong with that picture. Her donating money isn’t a guarantee for a child. You dont BUY children no matter who you are or how much money you have! period.

Every other average person would be denied to in her position. Giving her that kid because she donates isn’t right and isn’t fair. She has to follow the rules just like everybody else.

18. sharrie says

what a nice guy…. Seems the Malawi gov’t has no problems accepting her money…but won’t let her adopt…whats wrong with that picture?

19. LadyOne says

I am glad it was rejected!! Children are not put here to make celebrities look like shining knights in armor!! Stars clearly think it’s some sort of “fad” to adopt a child from a third world country. What about the bzillions of kids right here in the USA?? With all that money and power I’m sure they can cut through all the red tape to push an adoption through right here in America!!!!!

20. Kay says

I too cannot believe that the adoption was rejected! Based on the fact that she doesn’t live in the country? It’s ridiculous! That little girl deserves to be adopted by someone who can raise her in a happy healthy environment where she’ll thrive, just like Madonna’s other adopted child. There must be another reason that it was rejected.