Madonna & Family In Malawi

(In the above pic Madonna and her children were snapped visiting a childcare center in Lilongwe, Malawi.)

Madonna’s attempt to adopt a second child from Malawi is expected to be ruled on by a Malawian court on Friday. Madonna’s petition to adopt a 4-year-old girl, Mercy James, could be opposed by some human rights groups, who were also critical of Madonna’s adoption of her Malawian son, David Banda. The groups said government authorities had given Madonna special treatment by skirting laws that ban nonresidents from adopting Malawian children. One of Madonna’s lawyers said in comments outside the courtroom that the singer was asking the court to grant her an interim adoption of about 18 months. A local newspaper quoted Madonna, 50, as saying that her Malawian friends had told her that David needed a brother or sister.

In an article in the New York Post titled “SHOPPING MALL-AWI: MADONNA BUYS BABIES AS BAUBLES” Andrea Peyser writes, “The baby monster must be stopped! Stuck in a midlife crisis, Madonna is hoping to soothe the pain of being 50, manless and well past her freshness-expiration date by taking home a Third World daughter to match the last baby she bought like a human trinket.”

She continues, “There, she’s desperately seeking new ways to find attention and affection not seen since the time she simulated intercourse onstage and publicly tongue-kissed a young Britney Spears — in front of her daughter, Lourdes. Which just goes to show that when you’re rich and famous, you have nothing to fear from the child-welfare apparatus.”

Though the little girl that Madonna hopes to adopt doesn’t have a mother, she does have a devoted grandmother and a living father. The little girl’s grandmother said that taking the girl was “stealing.”

It certainly does seem odd that Madonna is adopting children that are not orphans…

Splash News Online & Source

1. Cindy says

…and before you chastise me for it I will say: Yes, I will find out my facts before I say anything in the future…

2. Cindy says

Like I said, I didn’t know everything and I am obviously not as devoted to celebrity gossip as you are to be reading it more. I have an actual life. Getting digs in at you, yes, because I think you are an idiot…and considering that I think I was pretty polite.

Cindy, you stated that from everything you had read the little girl did not live in an orphanage and lived with her grandmother, and that you thought I was mistaken. So it is apparent that you perhaps need to read more, and No, I was not mistaken. At least not on this subject, many others I have been and we both know you were getting some digs in at me!

4. gigi says

I can’t decide who is to blame more. The Malawian Government for literally selling off their children under the loud protest of their living relatives or the selfish freak who thinks she is above any and all law? malawi is supposed to be very Cathlic and conservative when it comes to their adoption rules, Yet they are willing to hand Mercy over to a single mother with 2 kids from two different fathers, freshly divorced, dating married men with small children, or small children( JESUS?!), galavanting and gyrating on stages around the world at 50.

5. Cindy says

Oriana…I was just asking questions, I wasn’t pretending to know everything. And obviously I meant kids are better with family provided the family is competent, for goodness sake. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to pick up on that, no one else had a problem. I was more pointing out that money isn’t everything…

Being with family is NOT always better when the family isn’t involved or competent. Mercy has not even seen her father in over a year. My opinions are from what I have seen on TV, not TMZ either! And she does not live with her grandmother either.

7. Meeee says

This woman makes me want to puke. Attention seeking granny crotch flasher.
    It;s pathetic, ensuring the paps get snaps of her… snatching children and palming them off with a nanny but *oh what an amazing woman she is! adopting these poor babiesand giving them a better life!*
    BS!! She simply cares for the attention, that is all

8. maya says

The girl is in an orphage and up for adoption, Where is her so ‘caring’ grandmother? I am not Madonna’s biggest fan but she seems devoted to her kids. David was up for adoption, so is mercy and she is doing her best to even let the children keep their roots. Whatever her reasons, those children will atleast have better lives.

9. Cindy says

Daze #19, that makes sense now that I think of it. But I wonder why the press makes it sound as though the girl is in her grandmother’s loving cutsody when, yes I now agree, that she must not be in order to even be adoptable. I guess it makes for a better story or maybe there is more to it. I don’t know but I hope whatever happens is best for the child.

10. Daze says

Wait a minute. I don’t agree with the article. If the little girl has a “doting grandmother and living father”, then why is she available for adoption. Apparently, they are not taking care of her and put her up for adoption, which means they no longer have any rights to her, nor are they taking care of her. It would be like an American child who is adoptable, and has a parent who is incompetent, but living (substance abuse, prison, mental insane, etc. ) and the child has been taken away and the relationship severed and the child put up for adoption. If Mercy’s family was taking care of her and she was in their custody, she would not be adoptable by anybody. I see no wrong in what Madonna is doing.

11. Bella says

Wow, I just realized it says she also has a living FATHER in addition to her grandmother!!! Why the F*** is Madonna trying to take her away from her family when there are so many other children that desperately need to be adopted?! Certainly Madonna should be able to adopt any other child!

12. Cindy says

Oriana – From everthing I have read the girl does not live in an orphanage and lives with her grandmother. Where have you read that she does? If she does then of course Madonna should adopt her but I think you are mistaken. Not to mention, just because she will now live with money does NOT mean she will have a better life. I think that little girl would sooner be with her familyt than have expensive clothes and big trips. Being with family is always better when possible.

13. Bella says

Why is she so set on adopting this particular child, who has FAMILY that want her?!? It certainly seems unfair, and I would think that Madonna should have NO TROUBLE at all adopting from anywhere considering her situation! Why can’t she adopt another child if this ones not even an orphan? I really do not get it. How sad for the little girls grandmother to have her taken away from her against her will….whats next? Next thing you know, she’ll be adopting OUR children without us having a say in it. She sounds very selfish.

It’s obvious the grandmother can’t take care of her, if so, why is she in the orphanage instead of with the grandmother? I don’t care for Madonna but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know the child will have a 100% better life with her, I hope the adoption goes thru and I think the child will be welcomed and loved. Hurray for Madonna!

15. Cindy says

I totally agree samsmom, but I would still really like to know if there is an explaination. Surely to God no one would be that cruel as to take a child away from it’s family if it’s not entirely neccessary.

16. samsmom says

Doesn’t anyone have compassion for this little girl’s grandmother? I don’t know all the details of this story, but it seems to me that if a child has a living relative, that child should be able to stay with that person if they are willing to take on the responsibility. Money should have nothing to do with it. No parent or family member should have to fear losing their child because they happen to be poor and some rich person sets their sights on that particular child. Madonna is taking this little girl far from her home and people she knows, I think it is disgusting. If she wants to adopt, she needs to go to an orphanage!

17. Cindy says

Does anyone know the reasoning behind Madonna not adopting orphans? It just doesn’t make sense to me. I hope there is a good reason, otherwise I cannot respect it. There are so many children who don’t have any parents at all, why would she not want to take one of those little souls?

18. Chris says

I find it very disturbing that Madonna is standing in a war torn country wearing camouflage pants. Does she not have any respect for the soldiers who wear these pants as part of their defence while they fight for our country? My brother-in-law is a Marine and nothing irks him more than people wearing camouflage clothing and trying to pass it off as a fasion statement.

19. what? says

Her cheeks are uber poofy in that last pic. Looks like she smuggling orphans. LMAO……awwww, that’s funny.

20. Dnice says

I think it’s noble but I do think Madonna is someone who is obsessed with image and shock value and I do think this is something she is doing to “Stay in the headlines”. First with A-rod, then the boytoy, and now the adoption. I am all for children in need being helped, but yes why would you take a child that is not an orphan. I think she is trying to stay busy and really she may need to take some time to get over her divorce before making such major decisions. And on a side note I am now convinced she is getting injections and work done. Her face is starting to resemble Wildenstein. She looks awful.

21. Wow! says

I think it’s nice that people with lots of money adopt, they give those children a better future. But I also found weird that she adopted a boy that wasn’t orphan and now she wants to do that again. There are lots of kids that are victims of war without any family or are just abandoned, I would prefer to adopt those children instead of the other ones with parents. I think you also can have problems when the parents suddenly say they changed their minds and they want the child back.

22. jmee says

Wow her children look so healthy and happy. I remember when they announced that she had her daughter. what a total knock out. Her sons are also georgous.

23. Aimee says

I don’t understand what the problem is…she has plenty of resources and finances to adopt a child. At least she is psychology sound, unlike some parents. Congrats to Madonna, hopefully all will go well, and she will get a new daughter. I like the fact that her son will have a sibling from the same origin…that will be nice. Good luck!