Moving Video Of Salma Hayek Breastfeeding An African Baby

Salma Hayek let “Nightline” and Cynthia McFadden follow her on a goodwill trip to Sierra Leone a few months ago, and while there she breastfeed a newborn baby boy whose mother had no milk.

Salma’s own daughter, Valentina, turned one just before she took the trip.

She spoke of the incident recently, and it turns out “Nightline” aired video of the feeding.

“The baby was perfectly healthy, but the mother didn’t have milk. He was very hungry. I was weaning Valentina, but I still had a lot of milk that I was pumping, so I breast-fed the baby. You should have seen his eyes. When he felt the nourishment, he immediately stopped crying.”

That is so beautiful!

1. mez says

this is sooo good. a famous mother who breastfeeds and didnt think twice to feed a hungry baby. she had just what that baby needed. GOOD JOB!!

2. len says

for all those so concerned with “well what about tomorrow?”… so what she should have just let the poor baby cry of hunger because she should have thought “oh well, poor kid, I’m leaving tomorrow”. What’s with people always looking for a negative point in a situation? What she did was selfless… What if, just what if someone else saw her charity and did something to help that child out for the long run? Point is, she did what she could do which was very sweet of her.

3. patty says

I haven’t seen such an unselfish act like this in years!!! High Five !!! to her for the courage to do something like this.

4. claudiazz says

I am concerned if she was moved enough by this experience to make some sort of provisions for him and his mother after she left the scene. It’s kind of like the old give the man a fish and he eats for a day adage. I hope Salma made some specific provisions for help for this particular family after the cameras were turned off. This gesture means nothing tomorrow for this little one.

5. yayaya says

catsue…….. I think that if u be sutup it is very good……..
    and when I see your name I remember cat.
    maby really u are a cat.
    if u don’t leave comment I don’t remember cat too………hahaha

6. exactly says

As if one meal will save this child. He’s not even getting Colustrum. What happens when Selma goes back to Hollywood? Who is going to feed this hungry infant? Nestle! That’s who!

7. Renata says

I don’t think I would have done it.I would have been afraid of being passed a disease from the baby then passing it to my child just been honest.

8. tdot says

I am sso happy that Salma had the nerve to do this on TV…Many women find themsleves in desperate situations and she is just bring attention to how natural and EASY it is for one mother to lift up another mother…I fell very ill when my baby was four months old and was hospitalized with heavy antibiotics…they were dangerous for my child an dstarted to dry up my milk…my loving sister had offered to breasfeed my son, who at that point had never had a bottle…just like this baby….you cant just throw a baby as bottle when its never had one before…long story short,my sister managed to fufill my sons needs for three weeks, as well as her own child while I was recovering and tryign to build up my deminshed milk supply…KUDOS to all women who can do this!!!

9. chi says

Kudos to Salma for being a human first, celebrity second. I’m surprised that she did it on camera and even more surprised that it was aired. People (read: uptight men in positions of media power) get so freaked out about breastfeeding when it’s the most natural thing in the world. Until we knock down that stupid taboo, it’s going to shortchange our children. You go Salma!!

10. duh says

Catsue…not worth the space you take up on earth, not worth the air you breathe when you make such hateful comments.

Susie…it’s unfortunate that you’re so ignorant about cultures abroad and yet feel comfortable making such accusations. First of all, it’s not that they don’t care, it’s that they are uneducated and believe that condom use is a way of wiping their culture out…it’s a religious/spiritual factor. Secondly, having numberous children isn’t about looking virile. They have so many because they have to assume 1/2 will die, and they need the extra hands to help them hunt, build, etc. The more children they have, the more help they have and the more likely they’ll be taken care of in their old age.

Kellie…I was thinking the exact same thing. Wet nurses have been around for centuries…why is this something that shocks people? Sure, Salma isn’t getting paid for it, but it’s not hurting her image either (not that she’s doing is for the publicity). All the same, it is a wonderful gesture on her part. Maybe it’s only one meal, but it’s probably the biggest meal he’s had in his entire year of life.

11. Kelli says

Haven’t you people ever heard of a wet nurse? Since the beginning of time the very wealthy and royalty have had hired help or slaves not only care for the babies, but nurse them too. So it is not a new or foreign concept for someone to nurse somebody else’s baby.

That said, it’s pretty amazing for a celebrity to spontaneously nurse a starving child because she herself had only recently given birth and the child’s mother cannot do it. Salma is good people. Beautiful inside and out.

12. Niloofar-1993 says

BRAVO, SALMA 🙂 🙂 🙂

TO GOD-thanks alotttttttttt for creating these type of people 🙂

CATSUE, you showed that you don’t know anything about diseases, special AIDS!…AIDS virus wouldn’t contagion with breast feeding, it wouldn’t contagion with kissing, or even eating in the same plate!!!

How could you be so CRUEL??????

“she better get her nipples tested for AIDS”…is it the most important thing for you,here, you don’t see?, or you can’t see?, or you DON’T WANNA see? , anything else, which is more important???? How could you be so CRUEL???????

13. Susie says

Aids is rampant in Africa, the men don’t care that their children die as long as they look virile by having a bunch of kids. What a careless thing to do.

14. RachieUK says

What a lovely gesture. There was a tv show on recently about other women breast feeding someone else’s child and i admit at the time i thought it was a little strange, but in a situation like this one i think salma is an incredible role model.

15. Kan says

While I agree it is an awesome thing to do, how will one meal save this child? What is going to happen next time he is hungry?

16. Nikki says

I think that’s incredible and truly inspiring. Such a great example of humanity in general. I am due to give birth to my 2nd baby in April and plan on breastfeeding whereas the first was bottle fed because I did not give nursing a fair chance. I have had some anxiety about it but this story makes me that much more determined – to know there are children all over the world (including the US) who don’t even have the option to nurse from their mothers.

17. shelley says

a breast pump probably didn’t even cross her mind, she had a starving baby infront of her and did what came naturally to her. She is a wondeful role model.

18. Maria says

Um Kelly, I don’t think that she readily brought a milk pump with her. I feel it was most likely a impromptu breastfeeding. She just met the mother and right then and there, decided to help her. It was a beautiful sight and a beautiful gift.

19. KELLY, uk says

Am sorry but i wouldnt have done that for many reasons, i would have pumped it in to a bottle for him i would have been very happy to do that but i just couldnt feed someone elses child like that.
    it was very touching and it was just was incredible for her to do it.

20. Jessica says

“She better get her nipples tested for AIDS”

That is without a doubt the most insanely stupid comment I have ever seen left here, and I’ve seen some pretty bad ones.

21. Keltie says

WM – please delete comment #7.

That video was incredible. I was almost immediately brought to tears – and that her great-grandmother did the same thing is so neat.

22. Nicki says

It’s nice to see 99% of the people commenting have a Mother’s natural instinct!
    Salma has always been an amazing woman, and very beautiful. Inside and out. Her daughter is adorable and I’m sure she will be very proud of her Mom.

23. Kierstin says

Wow!! That was so moving to see. The baby was so content finally getting some nourishment. That honestly moved me to tears…Selma is now one of my hero’s too!!

24. url says

That is really caring of her. But I wonder if she had the mother’s permission. Maybe the full tape will show.

25. fire fly says

What a touching, beautiful true story! If all of us could do something for someone in need like this just once, the world would be a better place. Selma is now one of my hero’s. God bless Selma’s baby girl always.