John Travolta 'Heartbroken' Over Son's Death

johnjettopt

John Travolta broke a two-day silence over the tragic death of his 16-year-old son Jett on Sunday, saying he and his wife, actress Kelly Preston, were “heartbroken” by their sudden loss.

Jett, who had a history of seizures, was found unconscious in a bathroom at his family’s home at the Old Bahama Bay resort on Grand Bahama Island on Friday morning.

He was pronounced dead after being taken by ambulance to Rand Memorial Hospital in Freeport and an autopsy to determine the cause of death is due to be performed in the Bahamas on Monday.

“Jett was the most wonderful son that two parents could ever ask for and lit up the lives of everyone he encountered,” Travolta said in a statement posted on his official website.

“We are heartbroken that our time with him was so brief. We will cherish the time that we had with him for the rest of our lives.”

The statement did not refer to Jett’s medical history or possible cause of death. But John’s lawyers, Michael Ossi and Michael McDermott, were quoted on Sunday as saying Jett apparently suffered from grand mal, a type of epilepsy marked by convulsions and loss of consciousness.

He was on an anti-seizure medication called Depakote for several years, Ossi and McDermott said.

They said the drug was suspended after it lost its effectiveness amid concern about side effects, however, and Jett had been suffering about one extremely serious seizure a week.

John and Kelly have said previously that Jett became very sick when he was a toddler and was diagnosed with Kawasaki disease, which leads to inflammation of the blood vessels in young children.

Comments

1. hellorazzi says

this is beyond tragic.
    to loss a child before parents is way scrutiatingly painful.
    why people have to blame on their belief,we know nothing about.
    why can’t they grief without scrutiny and negativity from the public?besides we were not there during this tragedy.
    give them peace and time to say good-bye.
    just back off unless you were actually there and witness all details that happened.gosh…people have some heart and compassion,they just lost their son.the pain that caused this is unimaginable.you will never recover or get over it.

Dee I agree. It is the family’s business regarding health issues, and they didn’t owe any of us an explanation. It is their business whether they keep their childrens’ lives private or on display. Whatever, unless it was child abuse which I doubt, they didn’t owe the public any information.

As to stopping the medications, do we know for certain that they did. And it is common practice to discontinue medications that do not work. If they discontinued one, they most likely replaced it with another. Don’t know, though, since it is their own private affair.

3. Jenna M. (UK) says

I’m not a fan of Scientology (at all), but everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. If Jett was autistic and the Travoltas hid it for any reason, especially Scietnology-induced shame, then that is very, very sad.

However I think that is all irrelevant now. This is a tragedy, and although they will never read this, my condolences go out to John, Kelly and the rest of the family.

I can’t pretend not to be a bit incredulous that they took Jett off his epilepsy medication. Especially if he was having regular Grand Mal seizures (Which I think are quite rare and the most severe?). Of course, he may have chosen to come off it himself as he was 16. Sorry I’m rambling on a bit but epilepsy deaths scare me, my best friend has epilepsy and my step-grandad died after a seizure (before I was born).

This is a comment to all the mothers out there. When your child falls down and skins his/her knee, I would think the majority of you cleanse it, apply a bandaid and maybe even kiss your child and soothe him.

The Scientologs believe in taking him back to the rock or stick he may fall down on and press his sore knee back against it to project the bad energy back into it, now, I would think if there is an injury, wouldn’t it hurt it again to be putting pressure on a sore or a cut? To me, Rocks don’t have souls and spirits, they are ROCKS! Again, more hocus pocus!

5. Analise says

Kay: You are absolutely correct the only reason we hear of this is because of John Travolta. BUT, if this brings more attention to the dangers of Scientology, regardless of whether or not it played a part in this boy’s health through the years, GOOD.

6. Analise says

Hey Dee? Scienobot much? Unless you can prove they didn’t take care of him (and you are either a cult member or ignorant of Scientology), you are only speculating. Pot meet kettle. Why would they keep him away from scrutiny unless there was something WRONG? Unless they were ashamed of him? Scieno’s don’t believe in Autism, Aids and other disorders/illnesses. They don’t believe in certain treatments and medications.

Your rock is missing you.

7. Aliciasweets85 says

whatever the case may be. he probaby did what HE THOUGHT was best for HIS son…and now his baby is dead and he is hurting…while everyone gawks at him and his family…its sad anyway you spin it.
    hopefully the grief doesnt overtake him and his family…**shaking my head**

8. catsue says

They showed a clip of John Travolta on Larry King a few years back discussing Jett. He said that Scientologists don’t believe in a lot of pills/medicines. He said that to get better you should sit in a hot sauna so toxins will be sweated out. Good God! I wonder if they gave poor Jett ridiculous Scientology vitamins.
    Possibly nothing could have been done about Jett’s violent, weekly seizures, but to first lie to the public about Jett having Kawasakis, and then to spew garbage like hot sauanas on Larry King is silly. Scientology is a dangerous cult!

9. Dee says

“Perhaps if nothing else, other parents who deny their children life saving drugs will learn from this tragedy.”

Oh, you know that as a fact?? PLEASE-it was not up to them top disclose that boys medical to the public. Perhaps they kept him out of the spotlight to spare him scrutiny.

10. Dee says

People should mind their own business. It is not up to anyone to speculate Jett’s treatments, disorders, etc. I’m sure his parents took excellent care of him, they obviously loved him very much. Shame on everyone for being so disgusting and judgmental.

11. Analise says

My dislike of the Travolta’s and their idiotic cult, they still lost a child and no parent should have to go through that. Yes, they are possibly to blame for it, possibly not. Yes, because of their beliefs, that boy didn’t receive the proper treatment and education he should have had as a child, but the loss of a child is an immense pain no one can possibly understand unless they have suffered it themselves.

12. Kay says

I’m only saying that the media is all over this story because John Travolta is a celebrity. Teenagers die every day and their stories aren’t published all over the news and on the net. Now the media is showing photos of him more than ever when before no one ever saw him. I am not being disrespectful, just pointing this out. I admit it is very sad to hear but the media is going overboard, as usual.

13. starr says

Scientology does not believe on drugs such as anti depressant or psychiatric drugs,they are very specific on what types of drugs they take.They do not agree on these kinds,however,they are strongly involve in medical treatments.They go to regular doctors like normal religions do.They get medical treatment more than normal people actually.They just don’t like anti depressant medications. Sometimes,you have to put it this way,why do you want to take such drug,if you know you already depress?To be honest,just my own opinion,excuse me if I offend someone.
    Sometimes in order for a non anti depressant treatment works,you have to have a very strong support from your love ones,as well as friends.

14. Anne says

They chose the scientology way after they discontinued the drugs because they weren’t working. Surely, there must have been a different drug as a replacement.

15. catsue says

Jett very obviously had Autism (which causes seizures) NOT this Kawasaki baloney (which causes heart problems in young children). Jett barely spoke and John always held him when he was younger and held onto him tightly as a teen. This is also NOT Kawasaki disease. Scientology denial as usual.

Either way- it must be devastating to lose a child and awful that he had horrible seizures on a weekly basis. I was actually watching Saturday Night Fever on DVD when I saw that Jett died on my laptop.

16. Lauren says

How incredibly heart-breaking. I pray that John, Kelly, and Ella can find the strength to endure those horrible times.

17. Dnice says

Stephanie, my condolences about your loss. I can’t even imagine. My aunt lost 2 children within 3 years and she has shared with me that it is absolutely the most unnatural feeling to have your child go before you. My heart goes out to the Travolta family. What a sad way to start the new year.

18. Niloofar says

I became soooooo sad 🙁 he was as old as me, God bless him,….now I can really believe that,maybe I wouldn’t be alive tomorrow!!!

we are escaping from death, while we are getting nearer to it….

19. Stephanie says

It doen’t really matter if Jett was autistic or not. There is nothing more sad than a child dying. My heart goes out to the family. It will take a very long time to heal. It has been 4 yrs for me and I still haven’t healed. It still feels like yesterday. So my thoughts and prayers go out toJohn, Kelly, and Ella.

20. Fiona says

This is so unbelievably sad. They truly seemed like dedicated parents. My thoughts and prayers are with them at this difficult time.

21. sunny says

It is also magnified not only becaus he is a celebrity, but they seem like a truly wonderful family and parents.
    What a sad tragedy for them to endure.
    Just because they are celebrities doesn’t make it less tragic–it just brings it to the forefront and we see through them, what ordinary people go through too. It just makes them real. It’s heartbreaking.

22. Kay says

Any good parent would be heartbroken by the death of a child. This is only magnified by the fact that John Travolta is a celebrity, and well known around the world.