Melissa Joan Hart's Clever Santa Chart Secret

(In the above pic Melissa and her husband were snapped with Mason last Christmas)

Melissa Joan Hart has devised a clever way to get her older son to behave himself…with a little help from Santa!

“Mason is almost three,” she explained. “He’s starting to understand about Christmas. We have the ‘Good’ and ‘Bad’ charts, so he gets good and bad checks when he’s good and bad, and depending on how many he has at the end of the month, he’ll get so many presents from Santa.

“So he’s just starting to pick up on that, but we’ve gotta start with the movies like Frosty and all of that stuff.”

1. Eli says

Growing up, we glorified the birth of Christ not Santa, but I understand each is entitled to his own opinion. As children we received 3 gifts which represented the gifts the wise men brought to the baby Jesus.

I have issues with those who reward positive behavior with gifts. Parents should instill positive behavior in children to help promote social/moral values and, yes, I dare say…spirituality. Children should view positive behavior as the right thing to do; not as what you do to receive a gift.

2. Sarita says

So now we can’t refer to a child’s behaviour as bad? What if their behaviour is bad? Seriously I worry about what is to become of these children that grow up with parents that are afraid of using a word like bad to describe their child.

Sometimes a child is bad, he needs to hear that so he can change his behaviour to good.

I think her chart is a good idea and it is nothing new! In our local tradition, it was said the good children got presents, the bad children were taken away to Spain in a sack!

3. appalachienne says

I think parents today have become utter pansies, which is (one of the reasons) why their kids are rotten little brats. Are we seriously condemning the acknowledgement of bad behavior now? That is ridiculous on so many levels, one of them being that “good” is not going to mean anything to them if there’s no “bad” to contrast it with. You can’t have the yin without the yang.

When my oldest was a baby, another mother actually repremanded me for referring to him as a good baby. “Oh, if you tell him there are good babies,” she said, “then he’s going to think there can be bad babies.” I about died. I’m pretty sure I burst out laughing.

I shudder to think how a generation of children protected from concepts like “bad” and “failure,” etc., are going to fare in adulthood.

Besides, fear of coal in your stocking is part of the magic of Christmas.

4. Jackie says

If you want to have your kids wake up on Christmas morning with no presents, then that’s your prerogative is what I meant to say….

5. Jackie says

OK-how did we get on the subject of kids not getting to eat this Christmas, and where in my statement did I say that I don’t feel sorry for those kids? Talk about overreacting! I’m not saying that I don’t believe in consequences for bad behavior- I even said that. If you want to have your kids wake up on Christmas morning I guess that’s your prerogative- personally I think it’s cruel and I’ll stick to that. Oh, and don’t be so defensive-there’s more to life than babyrazzi!

6. Kelli says

#6 – Jackie, Can we overreact a bit? I don’t recall her saying that she has plans to rescind CHRISTMAS. She said that his count from Santa depends on his ratio of bad to good. Have you ever heard the song “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”? Similar concept. It’s just another form of consequences for actions. This is not something solely for adults (well maybe nowadays which is why the average kid is unbearable to be around). There used to be a time when parents actually taught things like right from wrong. Now parents are simply “yes men” who raise a bunch of useless people who think the world revolves around them. Good on her for attempting to actually RAISE her son.

BTW – why not feel sorry for the kids who won’t even get to EAT this Christmas rather than the celebuspawn who might end up with 24 gifts rather than 30 because he didn’t clean his room.

Gimme a break!

7. littlemisscaliope says

I don’t like using the word “bad” to refer to a child’s behavior. Children need to learn consequences but there are much better ways to get your point across to a child.

8. Jackie says

#4- exactly-adults. This “baby” is not an adult and he’ll have plenty of time to become one. Since when is Christmas earned? I agree with you that rewards come with good behavior, but Christmas is Christmas-come on now!! 🙂 I wish that kids were born with the logic that we have, but they’re not.

9. Christina says

The rewarding good behavior is a smart idea however giving bad checks is a very bad idea. She’s almost there, just not quite.

10. Kelli says

My parents used Santa to get me to stop sucking my thumb. It worked!! I haven’t sucked my thumb since 12/24/76!

I don’t see anything wrong with it. The problem with kids now is their belief that they are owed the world just for existing and nothing is ever expected of them. The concept that they can EARN rewards with good performance/behavior is what we adults call “life”.

11. what? says

Geez! And what if he’s *bad*??? Is she really prepared to follow through with consequences with a 3 year old????