Moms In An Uproar Over Motrin Ad

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmykFKjNpdY]

When Johnson & Jonson debuted a web clip advertisement for Motrin this past weekend in which a female narrator gripes about the social pressure to “wear” baby slings many moms were offended.

Below is the verbatim from the ad:

Wearing your baby seems to be in fashion. I mean, in theory it’s a great idea. There’s the front baby carrier, sling, schwing, wrap, pouch. And who knows what else they’ve come up with. Wear your baby on your side, your front, go hands free. Supposedly, it’s a real bonding experience. They say that babies carried close to the body tend to cry less than others. But what about me? Do moms that wear their babies cry more than those who don’t. I sure do! These things put a ton of strain on your back, your neck, your shoulders. Did I mention your back?! I mean, I’ll put up with the pain because it’s a good kind of pain; it’s for my kid. Plus, it totally makes me look like an official mom. And so if I look tired and crazy, people will understand why.

By Sunday night, Johnson & Johnson had taken the ad down. And, at the moment, the Motrin website is also down. AdRants claims that “Twitter is in an uproar,” and Kathy Widmer, Vice President of Marketing for Johnson & Johnson’s McNeil Consumer Healthcare, has issued an apology, which reads, in part:

I am, myself, a mom of 3 daughters. We certainly did not mean to offend moms through our advertising. Instead, we had intended to demonstrate genuine sympathy and appreciation for all that parents do for their babies.

What do you think?

Comments

However you carry or transport your baby is a personal preference. I don’t understand all the hoop la over this, although it does strain your back regardless of how you carry your baby/child. There are other things you can do to reduce strain, and there are back stretching and strengthening exercises you can do regardless of your situation that will help alleviate this, many providing immediate relief. You can learn more about how to reduce back strain, muscle spasms, etc., which will help in everything you do. If you want more information and tips on this, you can visit my personal informational blog at: http://www.stopbackpaincausenow. Let me know if it helps you, or if you have a specific issue, and I’d be happy to research it for you. We all need to take better care of ourselves. My boys enjoyed this type of transport, but it is a big strain on your back. However, carrying them or holding them on your hip is, as well, and at a bad angle on top of it. I believe carrying them in front strains your back much more as it pulls you forward, straining your back/spine even more. There are a lot of options out there. Just choose which ones works best for you.

2. bb says

can you say overreaction? since when is whether a freaking baby carrier hurts your back or not controversial?

3. Tia :) says

Ibuprofen may cause G.I. upset, and in very rare cases…and i mean rare… can cause gastrointestinal ulceration/bleeding. I only take ibuprofen and i’m ok 😉

4. Isha says

People its a commercial….COME ON! If people get offended by this its because they have nothing to do. There are plenty of mothers out there who get back pain by carrying their babies in a sling, carrier, or whatever. Though I wouldn’t say to take Motrin every sec(Ibuprofen can damage your liver and the lining of your stomach), sometimes some people need a little pain relief . I thought it was a funny commercial. I have 2 kids, my son was heavy 21 pounds when he was 6 months, after a while carrying him in the snuggli was not an option. My daughter was much lighter and I carried her in a carrier till she was almost 2. Not every mom and every kid is the same. Stop being lame people.

Its just a commercial, get over it.

5. Heather says

I’m crazy in love with the idea of baby wearing but I have to admit I’ve worn the mei tai too long and had some major neck and back problems. It was so bad I would have these debillitating headaches. Now, I’ve learned to build up my stamina and strength with the carrier slowly.

6. Josie says

hi 2teens – I have been on and off here for a while. Trying to find a familiar name but it appears many of the former posters are not on her any more. It is very cold here in Ottawa and we had our first official snowfall today.

Tia – so happy to hear from you. Your little guy weighed just as much as I did at birth. I too, was a 9 pounder baby. LOL! Is Luca keeping you up late at night for feedings? How is Alyssa? She must be happy to have a little brother. He’s probably more of a new toy to her 🙂

7. what? says

They chose their words poorly…..”in fashion”, “supposedly”, “in theory”, “look like an official mom”…..considering baby-wearing has been around for centuries, it’s hardly a new fad and their wording comes off as patronizing and belittling.

8. Tia :) says

Josie Darling!! Thank you! So happy we can chat on here now! I really missed talking to you.

Hello 2teens! Luca is excellent! He really has a set of lungs on him though let me tell you. When he wants to eat, he wants to eat now! He’s a big boy, he’s gaining well!

9. 2teens says

Hey Josie! Been doing great!! It’s actually cold here in FL today… in the 40’s. I’m enjoying it because the sun is still shining. 🙂
    Sooooooooo glad you’re back!

10. QTPIE81 says

I think the “offensive” piece is that it sort of implies that people chose to “wear” their babies as part of a fad or just to “look the part”. I think it pokes a bit of fun at the phenomenon. I’m apart of it. I love wearing me babies. I’m not really offended, but I can understand why people might find that it rubs them the wrong way. Additionally, I agree with someone else… Those Brooke Shields VW commercials are stupid.

11. Freya says

I’m not offended by the ad, but I think a lot of you are missing the point the ad is trying to make. It’s making fun of the mothers who think you have to wear a baby and suffer to be a good mom. They’re saying you shouldn’t have to suffer and there’s more to being a good parent than an outward image to be accepted.

12. Josie says

Yeah 2teens!! It’s been so long. How have you been? 🙂

Hi Tia!!! Congratulations on the arrival of your baby boy!!
    Na sou zeesee!!!! Best wishes to you and your family 🙂

13. Zbella says

Offensive, no. Stupid, yes. Seems pretty extreme to take pain killers regularly because you are “wearing” your baby. That’s just odd to me. I would suggest either get a stroller or take some strength training classes. I never had pain from holding or wearing my babies!

14. Sandra says

The ad doesn’t offend me at all. Its advertising a drug to help if your back, neck, head hurts from carrying around your child. Jeesh overly sensitive is right!

15. 2teens says

I think the commercial is fine and people are overly sensitive.
    Now you want to talk offensive… I HATE those cavemen commercials. I guess many don’t agree with me because they keep airing new ones.

16. Dnice says

I am at a loss at why anyone is offended…If you like carrying your baby and you have experienced no pain from that then fine…some people may experience pain…It’s for motrin, it’s advertising……..Different strokes for different folks people…damn!

17. Tia :) says

Oh come on. I cannot believe the thinkgs people will complain about. Well people..im actually “wearing” my 2 and a half week old son right now…and i wasn’t offended by this silly commercial. Give me a break.

18. littlemisscaliope says

It reminds me of an ad that the losing team on “The Apprentice” would come up with. It’s kind of dumb.

19. Josie says

A candid commercial about an ongoing concern, the stresses and strain that carrying a baby will do to the parents. Although I am against taking meds for every little symptom, I find the commercial refreshing and honest. Raising children is a big deal and mothers need to be able vent too even if it means complaining about the hardships that go alongside with rearing a child or two. I’m not offended in the least with this commercial.

20. Jackie says

I also think that if carrying your baby close to you makes you have to take motrin all of the time, then maybe it’s time to get a stroller. It’s not fair to your baby for you to be unhealthy-it’s just stupid on your part.

21. Jackie says

Did I miss something? Obviously the women who got offended have way too much time on their hands and are overly sensitive. Maybe those pregnancy hormones haven’t left their bodies yet!!

22. Mom says

I think the Volkswagen commercials with Brooke Shields are far more offensive than this commercial – when will someone start a beef about them! Ridiculous!

23. Lucia says

YOU PEOPLE NEED TO GET A LIFE! IT’S A COMMERCIAL! AND CARRYING A BABY, EITHER IN A SLING, BABY CARRIER OR IN YOUR ARMS DOES PUT A LOT OF STRAIN ON YOUR BACK…. IT’S A COMMERCIAL!!!!!! AND PLEASE…. BEING IN PAIN DOES TEND TO GET YOU IN A BIT OF A CRANKY MOOD! SO PLEASE…DON’T ACT ALL HIGHT AND MIGHTY AND SAY YOU “MOMS” NEVER GET THAT “CRAZY” LOOK IN YOU EYES… OH AND BY CRAZY I DON’T MEAN PSYCHOPATHIC! ENJOY BEING A MOM, ENJOY CARRYING YOUR BABY (ANY WHICH WAY YOU WANT) BUT DON’T PUT UP WITH THE PAIN.

24. KCMO MOM says

I think that people need to get a life and find something else to be in an uproar about! If it doesn’t apply to you then don’t worry about it. But in my opioion it was RIGHT ON!!!!

25. Midge says

I agree with #7 Sam. I think it’s hilarious. I wore my babies, but also took Motrin on a regular basis when I did so because of the strain it put on my back. It was worse with my second one. One, I was older, and two, he was a big baby. Maybe this speaks more to us older moms who have the aches and pains of aging to go along with wearing our babies. I don’t find much offensive, and thought this was a funny, true ad.

26. clara says

As a babywearing mom since 2000, with no back problems, the ad bugs me too. What is the alternative? Carrying a baby bucket car seat everywhere? That’s way harder on your back. Fitting the baby’s weight into your core is easier than being pregnant.

And they don’t mention the liver damage constantly popping Motrin will give you.

27. Could it be says

Carrying my baby in a sling or mei tai has made my life easier in every aspect! I’ll sooner buy another baby carrier than Motrin.

28. MOMX3 says

I’m a baby-wearing mom, and YEAH, it kind of is offensive to me.

The sling does put pressure on me, but it hasn’t killed me. I don’t look tired and crazy.

People don’t consider that it would be way more nerve wracking to be pushing a stroller AND carrying a baby…