Angelina Jolie Says She Is Just A "Punk Kid With Tattoos"

Despite being a mother of six, Angelina Jolie says her rebellious past (filled with knives, bisexual romances, and tattoos!) still remains a part of who she is.

“I don’t walk around feeling I need to apologize or explain myself,” Angelina, 33, shared in December’s Harper’s Bazaar. “I am still, at heart – and always will be – just a punk kid with tattoos.”

She also says she’ll only play characters on the big screen that she would ideally want to hang out with.

“I tell stories that are about the type of woman I’d want to meet,” shared Angelina, who plays the mother of a kidnapped son in her latest drama Changeling.

“The type of woman where I think, even if it’s silly characters I’ve played, like in Tomb Raider, there’s something about her that will be fun for my daughters to see one day,” she added.

She said that she and Brad explain the difference between the big screen and real life to their children.

“Listen, my kids play video games. I let them play with toy soldiers. We don’t take war and violence lightly, but we don’t hide it from anybody,” she said. “We say, ‘Mommy and Daddy have movies where we play these characters, but there’s real death and violence in the world.'”

Angelina recently admitted that she bought Maddox, 7, some knives.

“My mom took me to buy my first daggers when I was 11 or 12,” Angelina revealed in November’s W magazine. “And I’ve already bought Maddox some.”

The mention of video games made me wonder about something…do you allow video games in your house? Video games are allowed in our house…I mean, I grew up playing them so I certainly don’t see it as a big deal, but I do worry about the effect they could be having. And just to clarify, we only have games like Mario Kart and such…not Grand Theft Auto! I was concerned by a recent news story about a boy running away from home after his father took away his video console. Microsoft was even offering a cash reward for his safe return home I think. His father was so shocked that his son ran away as he said that he had no idea how important video gaming was to his son. I guess that some children develop secret lives in which they have relationships with other gamers through online gaming and such. That is definitely scary.

1. Collette uk says

I havent called you have i or been nasty back to ur comment have i no an apology would be nice that was just downright nasty what you said

2. Collette uk says

Mina im a uk cunt am i that so sad +pathetic yes you are entitled to ur opion does that give u the right to say such nasty comment about me i would never do that

3. jORGIE says

# 29 I like your comment, and it’s really true. I always admire Angelina, as a person and as an actress.

4. Mina says

Colette, if I don’t see enough to say she is not fit to be a mother, then you don’t see enough to prove that she is. Your title should be UK C__T. You back off I have a right to express my American opinion about this whore any damn time or way I please.

5. Zbella says

Also, I like how AJ is a whole person – she remembers her youth and does not try to erase the past and what makes her her. Many women, when they become mothers, loose themselves. That is sad. I respect how AJ can remember part of her is just a punk kid. Once upon a time we were all something that formed who we are today.

6. Zbella says

That’s so sad about the boy. What a tragedy.

We don’t have video games in our house. I only have one son, he is 4, and he loves to play on My 7 year old daughter also enjoys that website. Other than that, they don’t have computer privileges. It’s a very scary world out there. I personally don’t get the allure to video games, and neither does my husband. But I don’t judge others who allow them.

I let my kids watch TV and some videos, which are not the best use of their time, but my parents were very strict about TV, a little too strict. Although I’m glad I didn’t waste my time on it, I also saw how my brothers found sneaky ways around the rules and I feel a happy medium is the way to go. Someday my kids will probably play video games at their friends’ houses and that’s OK as long as they are age appropriate.

7. Nanny says

I am a child-care worker and have children of my own as well. I have cared for lots and lots of children and worked closely with many families. I live in Australia and children are not safe to run outside and play in the neighbourhood here either. Personally, my children are allowed xbox/playstation and the games. BUT, I only let them play games that are appropriate for their ages (10 + 8). They also do gymnastics 3 x times per week (3hrs each time, which is a very very strenuous activity), eat nutritious food, watch small amounts of tv, do school homework, volunteer to help with “special needs” children, and visit with friends and family. On the whole, I think I am providing them with a balanced lifestyle. I believe it is all about balance, honesty and not wrapping them up with cotton wool. Hopefully they will grow up to be healthy, balanced and tolerant human beings.
    I admire AJ for the way she is bringing up her children, I don’t agree with all of it (not the knives), but It’s really nobody else’s business and I’m sure not everyone agrees with everything that I do with my children. And to the family that’s son has died, our prayers are with you.

8. Arianna's Mummy says

They also do not suspect foul play, but suspect that it was due to the cold weather that occured shortly after he ran away. But the investigation is still underway.

9. Arianna's Mummy says

Honey, Yes, some hunters found it in the woods on wednesday, they released the information today once he was identified.

10. Deeds says

recently AJ said that her children asked her why doesn’t mommy and daddy get married like Shrek. AJ said she wants her kids to differ fantasy from reality. How did she explain that one I wonder.

11. Arianna's Mummy says

Ahh. but I don’t believe everything I read on here… I take everything with a grain of salt. The kid running away occured close to where I live, so I know it is true, and it has been on all news reports since he went missing. Which has ended tragicly, as they have found his body. There has not been any word on cause of death though. I feel for the parents and it is a sad ending.. though I still stand by that they should have monitored what he was into and put their foot down long before.

12. Bridget Little says

The little boy that ran away after his dad took away his video game is from Barrie Ontario, Canada. His name is Brandon Crisp. He still has not been found….

13. laila says

video games are a waste of time they are violent and nothing of any value is learned from them. My kids are older and were not into those games. Thank goddness because I wouldn’t have spent a dime on them.

14. Arianna's Mummy says

Oh and I still think 15 is to young to be playing Call of Duty. or any other Mature rated game. They are on par with Restricted movies….and should be treated as such

15. Arianna's Mummy says

So you read it in another magazine, so it must be true?

Yes the boy that is missing is 15 not 11, sorry he looks really young and I didn’t remember his age when I wrote my comment. and the Police believe he may have met up with some other on-line gamer but they don’t know, so it is not fact, it is a suspicion.

I agree that video games are not helping the childhood obesity problem, but on the other hand, it is also not safe to just let your children outside to play and run around the neighbourhood like we used to when I was a kid,(not that long ago either), and since many parents don’t want to go out and play with their kids, or even supervise when they have other things to do, since both are working full time, then the kids are not going to get the excercise like they used to, compound that with all the junk food and convience food that people feed them, then you have the recipe for obeisity. So either you risk them being outside, or you risk damaging them inside…. Not exactly an easy choice that people like to make it. Besides, there are many parents and children who balance being able to play video games or watch tv to have a healthy lifestyle. It all has to do with moderation and control. Video games themselves do not cause obeisity, or are dangerous, it is how people use them.

16. laila says

Angie should be more careful with what she says in her interviews. She doesn’t have to reveal these personal things.. I think I just got too much information. Knives for kids??? Not so good …. maybe she is just a punk with tatoos?
    I read in another magazine their place in france is a pigstye toys and food everywhere No one cleans up, the kids are free to do whatever they want including dying their own hair and the dye is all over the walls as is their artwork She feels they should be free to create be and be artistic But using the walls as your canvas is a bit much don’t you think?

17. bambamswife says

She is much more that a “punk kid with Tatoos. She is one weird person. How do we know how children will turn out? I really think there would be more problems with jolie’s kids because of her weird ways. I feel sorry for Shillou. She isn’t an adopted child and she is not one of the twins. It seems, but none of us really know how the lives of celebrities really are, that jolie cares more for her adopted children.

18. Jackie says

That’s the problem with our society-too many video games. This is why our kids are obese. They have pent up energy that should be used in sports and being outside-not sitting in front of a TV.

There’s a difference between teaching your children awareness and exposing them to age-inappropriate themes (and in Maddox’s case, items). A fine line; a VERY fine line.

As for the video games, no video games in our house! The fact that my kids are still babies is irrelevant; even when they are older we will not waste our money on video games.

20. Lauren says

I’m not a fan of Angelina but I admire how she’s raising her children. She’s not sheltering them from the realities of the world and teaching them awareness. Unlike Suri Cruise who could be the next Paris Hilton due to her upbringing.

21. Honey says

I agree Angelina’s being realistic. Video games are not the problem – lack of parenting is. For our generation, video and computer games are still considered a new risk to our children; but they are growing up in a world where it is the norm, so we are the ones who need to adapt. It’s just like monitoring the tv shows our kids watch – the same goes for anything our kids do. That being said, the games you can play online with other gamers, freak me out….now the police believe that boy has connected with someone he played with from anywhere in the world and logged on with a different user name, so it’ll be a surprise if they find him again. The boy in that story was 15, I believe, not 11. So sad.

22. Collette uk says

Ariannas mummy excatly how i see it that how i do with my older daughter who 6+2mth +got 2nd daughter who 2+2mth when she old enough wil with her x

23. Arianna's Mummy says

Video games are not a problem for parents who pay attention to what their kids are doing, teach them about the real world, and set boundries. The same as movies, tv or anything else.

That kid ran away because his parents tried to take away his video game that he was addicted to, but they should have set boundries on that long before, and not let him get away with skipping school, staying up half the night almost every night, not doing his homework…..Spoiled brat if you ask me. I mean I feel for the parents, they don’t know where their son is, but video games do not cause violence, kids to run away or anything else if properly monitored. What was an 11 year old doing playing Call of Duty anyways?? it is a mature game and rated as such.

My husband is a gamer, so of course we have video games in the house, both for the PS3 and Xbox 360, and many are not appropriate for kids, so my daughter will not be allowed to play them unitl she is old enough. Plain and simple, we don’t let her watch a movie until we have seen it and made sure it is sutiable, the same will go for games, and in the mean time we teach her about real life, the same way we were taught that made us mature resposible people.

24. Renee says

She seem like a real parent to me. Down to earth and viewing things as I, as a parent, would view them.

25. Collette uk says

To mslewis very true +she is at least she not wraping them in cotton wool+in a bubble violence happens everyday+her children need to know dangers

26. mslewis says

You can’t hide your kids from real life and in real life kids play video games, they play with toy soldiers. If you try to keep them from these things they will want it more and will find out about them from their friends. You can’t keep kids in a bubble. Angelina is just being realistic.