Jenny McCarthy Claims To Have Cured Her Son of Autism

Despite criticism from the American Academy of Pediatrics, Jenny McCarthy says she helped her son, Evan, recover from autism.

Jenny – who believes the MMR vaccine was to blame for her son’s diagnosis – says a strict no wheat-and-dairy-free diet has changed her son from a quiet little boy who used to flail his arms around to a loving six-year-old.

“Before the vaccination, he was huggy, lovey, snuggly,” she explains in the newest issue of Us Weekly. “Then it was like someone came down and stole him.”

Jenny, 36, remembers when Evan began to come out of his shell while watching a SpongeBob episode. “I heard Evan laugh…I jumped on the bed and started screaming.”

She added, “When he finally hugged me, I prayed, ‘Please God don’t let this be the only time.'”

Jenny has become an outspoken advocate for autism awareness, often courting controversy along the way (doctors have accused her of creating fear of necessary vaccines). She’s the bestselling author of five books, including her newest, Mother Warriors: A Nation of Parents Healing Autism Against All Odds. She’s also constantly researching on sites like like and

“I made a deal with God,” she explained. “I said, ‘You fix my boy, you show me the way and I’ll teach the world how I did it.'”

She’s even reached out to John McCain – who spoke about the importance of autism awareness during Wednesday’s debate – without much success.

“We tried,” said Jenny – who currently labels herself a Democrat. “McCain had come out and said he thinks there’s enough evidence between vaccines and autism, so I got on a helicopter [to meet him for] an on-camera interview. By the time I got there, the campaign manager said, ‘He’s ahead in the polls, and this is too controversial, and he doesn’t want to go one way or the next.'”

The mom has avoided one controversial critic: Denis Leary, who blamed “inattentive mothers” for autism in his new book, Why We Suck: A Feel-Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid. (He later said his words were taken out of context)

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I hope to give one thing again and help others like you helped me.

2. Christine Cade says

You are the most ignorant person I have ever run across.YOU ARE A CLASSLESS UNDEREDUCATED IDIOT with no couth…I wont go into much more…I’m sure you wont be able to comprehend it ( I know..comprehend big word for you…you might have to look it up in dictionary)

I hope you dont have kids…you should not procreate.

3. david says

As a specialist, who works with children on the ASD , I find this article quite disheartening . Autism is a disease and in my opinion if the environmental and genetic factors are present, like cancer, autism can develop. However, what I find most disturbing is her claim for a cure, by removing wheat and altering her sons diet “cured him”. What the article fails to mention is that food allergies, such as wheat and iodine, can mimic behaviors that are found in Autistic children. Once these are removed the behaviors are diminished. The only thing she cured his her son’s allergy to certain foods. He clearly did not have Autism. She single handedly placed false hope in parents who have truly Autistic children. Children need to be loved,nurtured, and accepted for who they are and who the will become. Personally, I have many friends who are on the ASD, quite frankly I would not want them to change one bit.

4. aliciacweets85 says

Casey, you of all people should be able to understand what i mean with that comment. Your boy actually has the problem. But for this psuedo-celebrity to b*tch and complain, for her to throw wild accusations as to WHY the kid (MIGHT) have autism; going on TV shows and writing books, etc. the only way for her to continue to get attention is to claim she miraculously CURED the brat herself!? *lol* I mean…what the hell? Like i said earlier, (IF her kid is even sick) she is not the first person to have a retarded kid, and she wont be the last. She should get the f8ck over it already.

5. IrishNDN says

Maybe what her son actually had was severe food allergies. Some people are so allergic to some foodstuffs that they exhibit extreme mental and physical symptoms from ingesting even the smallest amounts of the offending allergin. Remove the items the person is allergic to and the symptoms improve and/or disappear. Just a thought….

6. Casey says

#53 that was a horrible thing to say. My son in fully autistic …He is 6 yrs old and hardly speaks. He is trapped in his own little world of most repeating movie prases. HE IS NOT A BRAT>>>GET OFF THIS SITE IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE INGNORANT!

7. Aliciasweets85 says

OMG, who CARES about her retarded kid!! She is NOT the first nor the LAST woman to have a brat with a mental defect.
    WHO CARES!!! My Gawd.

8. Casey says

About comment #41 YES I read this about her. Jenny believes that her son is a crystal child and that she is an indigo child. If you goole it it will explain what these wackos think. They believe that “autistic” children do not have autism. That they were put on this earth because they are special. That because they so no empathy or harbor no hate that they will change the world and bring peace. Which they refer to as the NEW WORLD>they actually hope more children are born this way to fight for this new world. SICK SICK SICK ANd this is what Jenny McCarthy believes but she is not talking abou it any more since she started talking about how she recovered her son from autism, SHe she used to have a web site called but she shut it down recently. Interesting

9. Smile says

I thought that there is no cure for it…? Thankyou #11 You read my mind… This is far from the topic but her son looks like a grown up man in a kids body.

Am I the only one that read the article Tia posted? It is very educational and makes sense. I think she is a good mother and I applaud her for what she is trying to accomplish, I wish them well and I pray that he continues to do good. I do think this disability cannot be cured but help in being controlled, I have never cared for her or her style of humor but I do absolutely think she is a good mother and is doing what she can to help her son and others.

Paula, I wish the very best for you and your son also.

11. N says

#26….. HPV is a sexually transmitted disease…. Every woman does not have it. A man or a woman can have it……it can be transfered with or without the use of condoms. It is transfered by skin to skin contact. It can lay dormant in the body for years. FYI…..

12. Paula says

All of the people on here bashing a woman for doing everything to help her child, obviously you do not have a child with autism or have read her books. She is a great role model because of the fact that she changed her way of living for her child. Show me one person that does not have skeletons in their closets. My son is battling autism and with the help of his DAN! doctor he is getting better and better, she didn’t come up with all of these things on her own, her son has been in therapy and under the care of doctors. Lots of people have cancer, and they are in remission, just because they are in remission are you going to say they never had cancer in the first place? Or what about people addicted to drugs or alcohol? Are you going to tell them sorry you never had a problem to begin with? Come on, give me a break, parents that are blessed with special needs children, are just that blessed because some of the people critizing her are not strong enough to handle it.

13. Ronnie says

A simple choice to me;
    Would you rather your child was alive and autistic

because the MMR vaccine saves lives, the things it is protecting against are life threatening!
    So how can she be soooooo worried about her child when what she is basically saying is she would prefer the chance of her son dying from measles or mumps than him having autism, with autism at least he is alive!
    isnt that better to any mother???

anyway i agree with amada peet, jenny mccarthy IS a para sitic mother!!
    especially when she is putting other childrens lives at risk because her son could be passing the disease around!!!!

14. samsmom says

Rita, I think she talks about that in the book she wrote about Evan. She does seem to be a little flaky about her belief system. And as Oriana stated, God does not make deals with people. He is God. Having said that, I believe Jenny was really grasping for something to believe in after dealing with a traumatic event. It seems that she has settled on New Age ideas. She talked about it some in her book, I seem to remember she talked to a psychic which I think is where the “star” comment came into play.

15. Niloofar says

Again tnanks alot Tia!!! I agree with oriana about that there is a reason for everything,but about that they are a lovely family!!! I don not think so.DOES ANYONE AGREE WITH ME?

Thank you Tia!!!!!

Stacey, I do believe in the power of healing and faith healing for sure. I also don’t think people can make deals with God, to me, it doesn’t work that way. God’s plan is his plan. Believe me, I begged, pleaded and promised everything when I lost my leg and I still lost it.

I am sure there were many promises and deals made with God during 9/11 and families have asked Why Lord? I also believe there are miracles happening every single day, some we are aware of, some we are not. I find it hard to believe this little boy is cured, I hope so, but I doubt it. He is very, very cute and they are a lovely family.

I think that every affliction can be healed, and I also believe there is a reason for everything that happens, we question why, but God has a long term plan and maybe one day we will know the answers.

17. Rita says

A while back..maybe a year or two ago…I read AND saw a website JM was on and promoting that referred to her son and other children with autism as some kind of “stars” (like in the universe, not television!)or someting like that. It said they were special kids who all had a place. It was hard to gfind the find, and it is no longer around. I found it accidentally while loking up homeopathic and healing remedies…just for fun. What I DO remember is that she said her son was BORN this way…and it dealt kids purpose and or destiny. A short time later she was on Larry King and this was NOT brought up. I widh she would clarify for people who actually do listen to her, and let everyone what she actually does beleive in!!! Does anyone recall this????

18. Stacey says

Oh and by the way, to those who Do and DO NOT believe, DO NOT underestimate the power of God when it comes to curing the impossible diseases/disorders. Miracles Do happen!!!!! Somethings people ARE cured from!

19. Stacey says

Guys, we are ALL in this together. Whether we agree with Jenny or not isn’t the issue. All of us fear Autism striking any one of our children and would do whatever it took to prevent it, or if possible, find a cure or a treatment above the others. Instead of arguing about who’s right or who’s wrong, let’s All work together, maybe do a little research ourselves, and oneday FIND something that helps. I know there are very intelligent, specialized people working on it, but MOST of the greatest inventions and phenomenons in history occured by mere accident. Possibly one day, someone might also stumble upon a treatment or cure (of possible) for Austism. Let’s do our best to keep our eyes open, stop pointing fingers, and work together. God would not have put us on the earth with over 6 billion other people if He did’nt intend for us to work together.

Oriana, im happy your Mango is getting better dear! Just for you, if i remember to log on my computer when my waterbreaks, i’ll leave a msg on hellorazzi 😉

21. Janepitt says

Jenny McCarthy is an idiot. This situation proves that someone as disgusting as Jenny McCarthy can get the attention of medical organizations and the US Congress to fall at her feet because she has a modicum of celebrity. It’s a sad day when someone actually believe they can learn something about autism from reading a book with this woman’s name on it.

It wouldn’t surprise me if she did this to resuscitate her flagging career. She as most of the freaks in Hollywood have no shame and will do anything for publicity. Her sons autism is the best thing that has happened to this witch. What she is doing with her child is exploitive.

Tia, thank you honey! Very interesting article and I enjoyed it! Hope you have a nice weekend and a restful one! Mango is improving but won’t drink any water, we are hydrating him twice a day. Please let us know on Hellorazzi as SOON as something happens with you, if your water breaks, get on there and let us know! Ha! You just take care of yourself!!!!!!!

23. jules says

Oh dear! Its sotries like this that create hysteria. I work with autistic children and theri families in the UK. Autism IS NOT CURABLE It is a life long condition known as Autistic Spectrum Disorder – The spectrum being the key word – some autistic people are severely disabled others highly intelligent. Jenny’s son may be affectionate it does not mean he isn’t autistic. I@f he truly is a little boy with autism then he will have that condition for the rest of his life. Sorry Jenny but get a grip and accept the little lad for who he is

I ahte when people say medical professional’s don’t care. Well, i can’t speak for all nurses and doctors but let me tell you a nurse myself, I see my child in every single last child I help heal everyday..I see my grandparents in every elderly patient I have ever looked after. I see my mother and father in every middle aged person I have ever had the pleasure of helping..You cannot put us all into one single category and say we don’t care. I care.

Oriana, click on my name..there is an article on the MMR.

25. chi says

After a heated discussion with my pediatrician during a wellness visit, he conceded that he believed the cumulative effect of the increased number of vaccinations our children get can contribute to learning disabilities (ie, autism). The culprit is not the vaccine, but the preservatives used in them, like thimerosal – which is mercury based. Drug makers “willingly” stopped using the preservative years ago but would never concede that it caused autism (suspicious). Why take it out if it wasn’t harmful? My pediatrician agreed that I had a valid point. I’ve always adjusted my children’s vaccination schedule – they get all their shots, but on a slower timetable so their bodies have a chance to mature and handle it. Parents must be proactive rather than reactive when it comes to your child’s health. QUESTION EVERYTHING, especially from your doctor. Don’t put blind trust in ANYONE, unless you want to be disappointed.

26. Honey says

I was trying not to say anything about that, #27, but it is kind of right in your face! I do not think it was intentional by any means, but I think they could have picked a better picture!! This one’s going to haunt that child when he’s older!!

27. BLssd says

All this other stuff aside, let’s talk about the fact that that person just dumped off her daughter at a birthday party! That’s irresponsible, especially if you have a very shy child who doesn’t know anyone there to begin with! Geez! No wonder the poor girl was nontalkative and standing by herself. Makes me sad picturing it.

28. Lurker says

I think it’s great she has found a way to deal with her son’s autism. Cure, of course not. But if changing his diet has helped them, then who’s to tell her she’s crazy?

I’m not sure why any parent of an autistic child couldn’t at least give it a doesn’t have to be “false hope”, it may really work with some kids, obviously..and for an, as of this point, uncurable disorder, why not try? It’s not likely to HURT the child, so if it COULD help, then why not ?

Sure, Autism MAY be overdiagnosed (just like ADD/ADHD, IMO)..and who knows if anyone will ever prove what causes will likely be a point of argument for years to come.
    But if ANYONE, ‘celebrity’ or not, has even an IDEA of how to help with it, then I think they deserve thanks for sharing the information, then do with it what you will.

Oh..and who’s to say a vaccine couldn’t cause it? I fully believe it could, and I think it’s ridiculous not to at least consider it. Do I KNOW? Of course not. But I won’t say it isn’t possible either. My kids have all had their vaccines in due time..but let’s just LOOK at how many MORE vaccines kids get these days, vice when we were kids. I don’t know why it couldn’t be a possibility for some people.

Heck as I understand it, EVERYONE has the genes or whatnot to cause cancer..but not everybody gets it. Probably kind of like that HPV thing..every woman has it, but some women don’t ever get cervical cancer. So why couldn’t autism work the same way?

I’ve never thought much of anything when it comes to Jenny McCarthy..but I don’t think there’s any denying she loves her son and wants to do what’s best for him..and I don’t think she should be faulted for it.

I do believe it may be controllable but not cured. She is sounding very arrogant to me by saying she made a deal with God and he is cured, that is ridiculous! I also do not believe that the vaccines cause this disability. I am sorry if this offends anyone but it just doesn’t make sense to me.

I do agree with Tia and I think in time, studies will definitely prove this to be true.

30. Blair says

As a special ed teacher for preschoolers, (who specializes in Autism, though works with many different types of special needs cases)… i am just going to lay it on the line. Autism is not curable. There are therapies that can make it manageable and that help the child with social skills. But you can not cure autism. Her son probably does have special needs, but something different if she claims he has recovered. Autism is HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY overdiagnosed, as sadly doctors do not know wnough about it.

I know a 4 yr old child who was simply shy that was labeled autistic because she did not play at a birthday party that she was invited to. The friend of her mother who invited her is a pediatrician and hosted the party. She came up with the diagnosis after watching “Marley” for 2 1/2 hrs. Marley was dropped off at the party which was loud and crowded, and no one she knew was able to stay with her. She did not know a SINGLE child or adult there. So she played at a sand table by her self for the whole time. Of course this does not make her autistic!!! She is cautious and shy, and knew no one. But thats the thing, pediatricians dont have a single clue what autism really is all about.

31. V says

What I can’t stand about this woman is this ‘vigilante autism woman’ persona she has taken on. It is very comendable that she is persistant in helping do whatever it takes to improve her sons life, but if he is autistic, one does not get cured from it. She claims this all over the place and then when I read the actual US Weekly interview, when pressed about how exactly was he cured, she uses that stupid car accident comparison and then says he is ‘recovered’, not exactly ‘cured’.
    She is giving false hope with her misinformation to a lot of parents out there. I have a friend with a son who has severe autism, and she can’t stand Jenny McCarthy. She says she doesn’t realize how crazy she sounds and she let it consume her life. Her marriage ended because of it. Jenny says in the Us interview that her husband didnt care and didnt want to deal with Evans autism and that is why they split, and then says that but now he wants to be in his life because he is recovered.

32. V says

I read the interview and she says her son is ‘recovered’ from autism, not ‘cured’.
    Then goes on to ask ‘Do you recover from a car accident?’ No, you recover’.
    She IS nuts.@@

33. Dee says

As an EI therapist, I think she’s ridiculous. Some kids are able to come out of it and live relatively normal lives, other’s don’t because of a variety of factors (mental retardation being something you can’t ‘cure’). Many children with autism have some degree of MR.

She is ignorant to think she found a ‘cure’. She may have had a good combo of therapies that worked for her child, may not work for others. I have some clients who are very bad off and will hopefully be able to learn some self skills, others who will be just fine. She should stop spreading around such misinformation.

I agree with #15. My son will not and has not been vaccinated because of the possible link with autism. To all of the comments shooting down Jenny and her words have obviously not read any of her books.
    She has never said her son was cured-she always states recovered. I don’t understand the comments about her being a Playmate. Yes, in the past she was but that doesn’t make her ignorant or any less of a loving, caring mother……it just makes her a hot one and maybe that is where the problem lies with some people.

35. Kay says

If there is a link between MMR vaccine and autism, then why don’t more children have autism? All my children had the vaccines and do not have autism. I don’t mean any disrespect to Jenny McCarthy but maybe her son never had it to begin with. Could it have been a misdiagnosis?

36. Honey says

Jeff-are you suggesting Jenny did these things? Just asking. I also think that given the fact that Jenny’s son’s autism was never documented publicly while he suffered from it, it is unfair and unreliable for her to claim it’s just gone. There are many degrees of severity, and perhaps her son’s wasn’t very severe. I think it’s irresponsible of her to proclaim to know what thousands of doctors world wide are trying to prove. Her son may be rehabilitated, or improved, or he may have been misdiagnosed in the first place. Every case in individual.

37. Jeff says

Selena, if you think Jenny McCarthy is a “good parent” than show me a bad one?

What makes someone a good parent when they smoke when they are pregnant, absolutely refuse to breastfeed just because they do not want to, and are more interested in having their hair blown out so they will look good in pictures after the birth of their child but end up having to have an emergency c-section and end up with a blue baby?

To all those who take the word of Jenny McCarthy for gospel, just think about that before you jump on her bandwagon and claim she knows what she is talking about.

Like others have said, it is very doubtful that her child even had Autism in the first place.

38. canuck says

There are MANY MANY MANY proven links between autism and the MMR (not to mention all the other medical problems associated with routine immunizations). Of course these finding are disputed! The drug industry is a multi-BILLION dollar industry. Duh. Get real people. If doctors, politicians and other decision makers had our best interests at heart, we would no longer be using fossil fuels (for example) since we have had the technology to use cleaner energy sources for over 50 years. Don’t put blind faith in the medical profession, it’s a very slippery slope.

39. Bethany says

I believe I have heard her say in an interview that her son is “cured”….I don’t think the web mistress is making that up. She’s a fruitloop. Poor kid.

40. Ellie says

Allison … BINGO!

Or better, when they “thank God for this, and thank Him for that” but then deny His very existence when pressed about their beliefs. Face it … in the Hollywood “Believe anything and wear a fashionable bracelet to prove it”, many celebs are embarrassed to attach themselves to Jesus. It’s as if it’s the uncool thing to do. But mark my word, when something horrific happens, they’ll be crying out his name begging for a fix. Very sad, really.

41. Allison says

“I made a deal with God,” she explained. “I said, ‘You fix my boy, you show me the way and I’ll teach the world how I DID IT.’”

Don’t you love it when people give God credit for something, then take it away in the very same breath! Classy.

42. Sandra says

WB you need to change the line of this story. Jenny hasn’t said anywhere that her son is cured of Autism. She has said he has recovered on his current diet. She was just on Ellen a week ago discussing this. If you want to post accurate info than one should get the facts straight.

43. samsmom says

Maybe cured is not the correct word here. Maybe she should be using high functioning or rehabilitated.
    I doubt that Jenny was lying about the symptoms her son endured nor the results obtained. If some people want to say there is no way a vaccine could cause Autism, then how is it logical to say in the same breath that it can not be cured or managed through homeopathic methods? I don’t think it is fair to say x does not cause z in all cases, when we all know that the medical and science community often change positions on key topics.

44. Amber says

Autism is not curable. He either never had it, or he isn’t “cured”. Autism is way over diagnosed. I work with special needs kids, many diagnosed with Autism. There is a pediatric neurologist who is well known in our county that will diagnose 99% of the kids she sees with autism. Luckily, there are many parents who thinks she is nuts, but unfortunately, many others who trust her. I always encourage the parents I work with to seek a second opinion.

45. fee says

The government has been pouring billions of dollars into studying autism, has some of the best minds working towards a cure, and a playboy playmate has found the cure? Nothing against playmates of course, but come on!

Autism at this point in time is controllable, not curable.

46. eli says

maybe he isn’t severe as others… i know there are all different degrees of that.

i do not know what is causing that and do not think it has anything to due with vaccaines! they may later find out it was someting in our pre-natal vitamins or smth stupid like that.

Iv said it once..i’ll say it again. There is NO link between the MMR vaccine and autism!!!!!! I don’t understand exactly how many tests need to be done to prove this, but again and again the tests come to the same conclusion…it does not cause it!!