Angelina Jolie Opens Up About Sharing Her Love Of Knives With Maddox

Angelina Jolie says she is passing down her knife obsession to her seven-year-old son Maddox.

“My mom took me to buy my first daggers when I was 11 or 12,” Angelina shared in the new issue of W magazine. “And I’ve already bought Maddox some.”

Angelina has long been obsessed with knives and shared that collecting knives is a unique rite of passage in her family.

“My mom took me to buy my first daggers when I was 11 or 12,” she recalled. “And I’ve already bought Maddox some things. We take him to a special shop.” She emphasized that the knife blades are dulled so they’re not dangerous, and that the purchases are accompanied by discussions about violence. But, she said, “we also talk about samurais and about the idea of defending someone as good. We talk about everything.”

In a 2003 interview with 20/20, she admitted that, as a teen, she once had a relationship that involved ritual self-mutilation.

“I got knives out and had a night where we attacked each other… it felt so primitive and it felt so honest… and then I had to deal with, you know, not telling my mother, hiding things, wearing gauze bandages to high school,” she said.

She said she no longer engages in such activities now that she’s a mother.

Splash News Online & Source

I am now nott positive the place you’re getting your info, however ggreat topic.
    I must spend a while fnding out much more or understanding more.
    Thanks for excellent information I was searching for tis information for my mission.

sania, leave your country and move your kids to this one, they will be safer! Normal 3 year olds here play with toys, not knives. Sorry!

3. Zbella says

Don’t you mean, not the sharpest tool in the shed, or the sharpest knife in the kitchen 🙂 I like her, but she could have kept that information to herself and saved herself the grief.

4. susan says

angelina is a beautiful woman no doubt but she doesnt have to much going upstairs. not the smartest cookie on the block,,

5. Collette uk says

+u spell my name correctly it collette not colette can u not spell now +im a huge fan doesnt mean i agree with everything she does

Attention seeking whore? Vile and disgusting? I do think these are quite harsh descriptions of her! She may have done some vile acts in the past and I don’t understand why anyone would want to cut themselves for any reason, I hate even getting a blood test! I think Pamela Anderson is an attention seeking whore and I certainly don’t put Angie in that category at all.

I think she should wait at least two years before adopting again and give the babies a chance to be babies without having to share their mother with yet another sibling. Six kids are plenty to learn to adjust too and give the proper amount of care and attention, even if she does have Nannies and Maids.

7. Josie says

#51 – We all get it! you don’t like AJ & Brad. Don’t you think it’s time to turn your negativity into a positive and find a new hobby that you enjoy. Life’s too short to be angry all the time.

8. Deeds says

#49, it gets scary when you think all of the nonthreating things children can innocently get into. It’s unbelieveable AJ wants to add knives to the list.

9. Brangelinasuck says

Colette, please learn to write. Your infantile responses doesn’t change the fact that this woman is an attention seeking whore in every sense of the word. She is a vile disgusting individual and I will continue to post my comments about her. If you would pull your head from her behind you wouldn’t be on this site praising an amoral woman like this.

#39 Niki. Thanks the grandbaby couldn’t be more wonderful. The entire extended family is smiling as much as the new mom and dad.

#47 hair dryer was in the bathroom on counter. Which is actually where mine is. Only no one uses the tub, just the shower. The kiddo was in there talking to Mom from what everyone gathers.

12. Deeds says

The fact of the matter that AJ only had 1 boyfriend live with her doesn’t change the fact that it was condoned(sp). Maybe a child could be proud of thier macthbox collection of cars. There is a big difference, at the age of 7, bragging to your friends about a car collection is different than a knife collection. I never try to micro-manage my childrens lives, I would have resevations about letting my kids visit a home of a 7 year old with a knife collection. Granny why in world would a 3 year old have access to a plugged in hair dryer?

13. Jon says

Keep on Cutting! aw yeah! Buy your kid dull knifes, tell them about your sexy times with knifes as a teenager. It makes you so alluring Voight-head!

14. maggiemoe says

She’s wacked in the head! she’s So into the attention she gets now from talking about things she did 20 yrs ago. Its already been stated that whatever she does influences people everywhere to imitate her, so let’s see how this pans out. attention-whore.that is all.

Just got home, Nicki, I better not have a nightmare tonight about you chasing me with that sword! You know how many meds I am on! Ha! My son Jeff, used to love those matchbox cars, and they were exp. even way back then, they are a very cute collection to have too. I will talk to you tomorrow my Dear!

16. Jill says

You’re right Tess. I got a bit too excited today in pre-school today when we were using the glue for cut and paste crafts and after I tasted the glue I began smelling it and it made me stoned. It’s taken several hours for the effects of the glue to wear off which is why I sound like a complete idiot in my postings!! Please pray for me!

17. Tess says

Tess- has anyone ever told you how retarded you are? Well, let me be the first one…”You’re retarded.”

18. Nicki says

Granny~ Exactly! Very well said. (hope all is well with your new grandbaby……….Congratulations!!!)

Sorry hitherdither I don’t know who her 1 time teen boyfriend was before she married JLM. Also i have read that actual hunters have shot themselves/or another person in thier party. Of course accidents happen. I use to stand up in the front seat, with only my Mom’s arm to hold me if she needed to stop suddlenly. Not that many accidents happened back then. Lucky me and the others.

I would NEVER use a gun for anything, and I can say that honestly. If anyone ever broke into my house, I have a 4 battery Maglight flashlight beside my bed that would get the job done, or at least give me an advantage against the intruder. So please I suggest you arm yourself without guns. If you ever shot at a child or a niece or nephew, because you were startled by someone in your house, you would probably think differently about guns. JMO.

19. Tess says

Jill, have you realized that nobody cares what you think and nobody (besides me) is even responding to your lame comments. You don’t even make any sense. I think you were sniffing too much glue in pre-school class this morning.

A woman a few blocks away from me died when her 3 year old accidently dropped the blow dryer into her bathtub. No one thought about the tub and dryer. Accidents obviously can happen. I imagine they will be careful with the knives becasue it is more obvious. There are lots of hobbies that people do such as allow children to jump skateboards at ramp parks, do fireworks on the 4th of July or wood carving, glass etching or even game hunting. Just everyone needs to practice vigilence if it is going to be allowed for children

21. Jill says

It’s funny how people say they hate guns, yet if someone were to break into their home to hurt their family, they’d have no problem using a gun. I think the hate should be focused on the psychos that use them to do evil.

22. Leah says

I agree, it is strange, and somewhat dangerous to supply knives to a seven-year-old. But everyone’s different; and everyone knows Jolie is especially different! But we can’t go bashing them for this. No one knows the true explanation. It might not be so bad to supply knives to Maddox, I mean, no one knows them personally. Cut them a break!

23. hitherdither says

Sorry, don’t know who it was Meg. Perhaps Nicki would know.

In my opinion, it doesn’t matter how much you’re taught about guns, knives or anything. Accidents happen no matter how much a person is taught. A family in our town are hunters, been hunters throughout generations, kids grew up around guns and learned from an early age not to touch them and then were taught when old enough how to handle them. What happens, a 12 year old shot his 14 year old brother and killed him. No one could understand it as they were raised around guns. So, accidents happen no matter who you are are how much you teach your kids. I just hope Aj’s kids don’t have any accidents.

AJ probably feels comfortable with her knives like hunters feel comfortable with their guns but what she used them for makes me uncomfortable. She admittedly used them for self mutalation. That’s what I don’t like. Hopefully her Maddox won’t take that after her. I understand people cut themselves to stop the pain of feeling anything else. Hopefully she’ll raise her kids differently than she was raised. But with so many kids to look after, someones emotional needs are going to be overlooked.

24. meg says

Thanks Hitherdither:)
    By any chance ,anyone knows
    who the lucky guy (or lady) was?!!!
    Angie IS weird!!!!!

25. Nicki says

Hi oriana~I would never shoot you, I HATE guns.LOL.
    I agree her Mom didn’t do her any favors allowing her 1 boyfriend she had as a teen to live with her. It was only 1 though, but agreed 1 was too many at that age.
    Yes knives are dangerous. But I highly doubt Maddox is playing with them. I doubt with younger children running around they are laying on his nightstand. And I do know for a fact a child as young as 2, my nephew, did not touch his Matchbox collection to sneak play with them, even one of them. He knew they were not to be played with. He had other ones he played with, never his collectable ones. He is 16 today and he has over 5000 different ones, some worth $100-$200. Although I admit my Dad has a ball getting them for him, he still enjoys looking at them.

My Dad had a knife and sword collection when we were young. It was hanging on the wall down cellar in our playroom,lol, it was his workshop before he built a new one, and we NEVER once touched them, just looked. They were just hanging there, easy to take down but we never did. We were taught about them, where they were from and when they were used and by who. It was very interesting, and we knew never to touch them. Mine was a Japanese beautiful sword. It had a red braided tassel hanging from the hand area. The shealth was brown and the blade had beautiful carvings in it. I only touched it when my Dad allowed me too. So that is why I think Maddox isn’t bringing his to the dinner table and waving it around the younger kids.

And remember I would NEVER shoot you, I hate guns with a passion. Oh and don’t worry about my Japanese sword, I won’t stab you with it, my Dad one winter had to sell his whole collection. I remember I kept standing in front of mine so the guy wouldn’t see it,LOL. He told me that was the main reason he was buying the collection, my sword. I was so sad,lol. He did tell me he would take very good care of it, so no fears about being stabbed either,LOL. I love you too!!!!

A BB gun for a child is the worst thing you can buy him. I had a friend that had his eye shot out by a BB gun, he had a Glass eye and it was so sad, since he was 10 years old. Even for teenagers, these things are dangerous.

I do think Angie has matured and settled down quite a bit, I also think she still has some of her old hang ups that could be harmful, to others as well as herself. I think she would benefit from some counseling, and it would help her grief from her mother’s death. She was weird when she was younger and her mother didn’t do any good in buying her knives, just like her mother didn’t do her any good in allowing her to live with her boyfriends when she was such a young girl. Sorry Nicki, don’t shoot me, you know I love you dearly!!!!

Any knife, dull or not, can still be harmful and dangerous, you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to know that. I doubt if Maddox’s knife collection is in a locked cabinet, kids are not content to just look, they sneak and take them out to play, I also doubt someone is watching each child every minute, they are allowed too much freedom and look kind of wild and unruly to me sometimes. I would have concerns, kids are quick, and Maddox is a super smart little boy.

I doubt seriously if Brad had any say at all about her buying him knives, I think she is headstrong and will always do exactly as she wants too.

27. Nicki says

Kay- that is sad that your young son didn’t feel like he could go to his Mommy and show her what he found, or a friend had given him. He knew enough to hide it under his mattress, because he knew you would “Flip out” (your words.) I hope he never wanted to join the Boy Scouts. (they use pocketknives.)

I think Angelina has been very responsible, teaching her son about different things, and not “Flipping out.” I don’t think Maddox will hide things under his mattress. OK maybe not yet, maybe in a few years……….a girly mag or two, but that will be because he would be embarassed, not because he didn’t feel like he could trust his Mommy, (just a puberty thing.)

28. Jill says

Let me guess- are you the same parents that wouldn’t let your little boys have a toy gun or even a water gun? Like I said in my earlier post-paranoid. You know cars accidentally hit people every day too- are you not going to let your boys have cars? Or how about action figures? When two boys play with action figures they usually fight- oh no! God forbid they act like boys! Let’s just give them dolls and turn them into girls.

29. Kay says

I remember when I found a small knife hidden under my young son’s mattress. Needless to say I flipped out! I took it away from him and explained the dangers of having weapons. I thought that Angelina was more responsible now that she’s had kids…guess I was wrong!

30. hitherdither says

#16 Meg. To explain it to you…and someone correct me if I’m wrong…when two people get together to have sex and use self mutilation it means they are cutting each other or hurting each other to bring about sexual satisfaction to one or both. It’s what you call a fetish.

Fact of the matter is..fine if you want to do that..but don’t go around talking about it. I have sex too but I don’t go around sharing all the details of it especially to magazines.

31. Collette uk says

20 PISS OFF God sake if u dnt like her stop wasting ur time leavin nasty comment everytime she on here

32. Arianna's Mummy says

What does knives have to do with refugees? Knives don’t cause war, guns don’t cause war, people do! Haveing an interest in Knives has nothing to do with careing about refugees, who are the victims of war. The UN also is involved in War ( Afganistan anyone?) as well as taking care of the victims of war, I would think that should make them more hypocritical than Angelina, since they are actually waging war and causing people to become refugees!

33. Kali B. says

I think Jolie is very hypocritical. As a participant of the UN, saying how poor countries are in wars, going to refugee camps, visiting children who are seted and forced to go to the war in countries that she adopted her children…. and now purchase knives and i don´t know what more for her 7 years old son, I think is incompressible. It is very easy to criticize the world, say that the things are wrong, but you do not make the minimum effort to change your life style. I think that is better to stop acting like a humanitarian and so worried about the problems of the world, making people from UN who is interest losing time with the crap that she speaks and makes.

34. Brangelinasuck says

This woman is still sick and no matter what popular opinion is she is a piss poor example of a parent.

35. Ann says

“It felt so honest…….” Yes, nothing quite says honesty like taking knives out and slashing other people with them. Never liked her. Always thought she was a freak. This just confirms it more. I wonder if her and Brad engage in knife playing on the weekends. How fun!

36. Arianna's Mummy says

I agree with # 13 as well First to number 2 she didn’t bring up what she “used to do” for the fetish thing, it was quoted from an old interview, please actually read what it says! second there are many daggers and knives you can buy that are decorative and a collection. My husband and I have many as well as swords, macheties (sp?) and axes, we really have a large collection of them. And none of them are sharp, in fact for most it is impossible to sharpen them, they metal will crumble if sharpened so they are no danger to anyone! When my daughter is old enough (she is only 3) and if she is intrested, then we will get her some for her own collection as well.

37. accalia says

I agree with number 13.

Jeez people, read the entire article over before you freak out ,jump to stupid conclusions and start bad mouthing her again.

38. meg says

I didn’t get it: a relationship with self-mutilation?
    Will s.o explain it to me?
    and if it was a male partner,who was it????

39. eyesofpearls says

SHE NO LONGER ENGAGES IN SUCH ACTIVITIES?????? Even worse, she teaches her son to live knives!!!! And not those for cutting bread!!!! There is something really dark about this woman…

40. Amanda says

Good Grief!! Thats the craiziest thing I have ever heard!! What is she thinking?? I hope she at least keeps them locked up. I could see if it was for hunting or something. Is she slow reverting to her old ways and taking her kids with her??? Its just plain scary!!

41. Nicki says

The fact is children are exposed to guns and knives. Look at the very popular Pirates movies. Guns, cannons and knives, on my!
    I believe she said it was a collection. People don’t play with things they collect. He isn’t playing with the knives, he is collecting them. My nephew has a collection of Matchbox cars. Been collecting them since he was 2. He has never once played with any of them from his collection.
    I don’t see where waiting until a boy is 18 will make him automatically mature enough to start collecting knives. Would I encourage knive collecting, probaby not. But I wouldn’t want my kid shooting animals with his gun either. In the south, where I had lived for 10 years, the hunting dad couldn’t wait until his lil boy got his first gun. (two friends kids were the ripe old age of 6) They would go hunting every weekend. Those kids didn’t use thier guns as toys, only for hunting with dad. They learned early on how to handle a gun and use them responsibly.
    Like Ellen, I would hate that also, but I’m sure her son was taught saftey and care while using his gun.
    While I was growing up it was motorcycles for my brothers. Had thier first, a minibike at 6 and it seemed every year they got a new and bigger one as they grew. They also raced on the weekends until they were about 15 or 16. They didn’t ride thier dirt bikes on the street because they knew it was wrong. They also always wore thier helmets. They were taught this and they respected it.

You don’t need a knife collection to become a self harmer. Any kitchen will supply you with what you need to do that.

42. Jordyn says

I dont care if its a rite of passage in her family to pass down this obsession. Find another one to pass down! Maybe Brad didnt tag along because he was taking Shiloh to the store to buy her first oozie because thats his obsession. Why am I invisioning this family running around with paint on their faces attacking each other during their bonding time? Oh, boy. Bottom line, its their business but I cant imagine what these kids will be like in their teens.

43. Anonymous says

It’s totally irresponsible in my opinion. Children shouldn’t be exposed to guns or knives at 7 years old.

Yes, her mother bought her knives at 11, and it did her a lot of good didn’t it, she was a self harmer, does she want to hand that down to Maddox too?

It’s crazy.

44. yikes says

Not to be stereotypical but ..Shouldn’t Brad be the one to purchase this type of gift? I thought this is a bonding type of thing between dads and sons. it’s rather interesting…..

I’m afraid I don’t find it any stranger than the rite of buying young boys hunting rifles and BB guns. In some parts of the country that is still a big deal. Some will say bad things about that. I know my husband bought our son one and started taking him hunting at 10. I hated it.

Just shows how things differ from one family to the next.

46. Tess says

The Almighty Jill – go ahead and give your children dull razor blades to play with and we’ll be hearing about your family on the 6 o’clock news!

47. Kat says

I agree that this was not a wise move on Angelina’s part. She might have thought she was doing the right thing and yes even if the knives are ‘dull’ (not sharpe) its still teaching Maddox about knives and violence at a young age – why not give him the knives at a more reasonable age – 18? and teach him about knife fighting or whatever then when he is more mature.

48. Jill says

Oh my gosh… people are so paranoid these days. So freakin what?? Did you not read where she said that the knives are dull?

49. Star says

I agree that it’s not appropriate to pass along such a fettish to a child. To have her adopt him to help him out of an impoverished life, then to expose him to the violence she’s talking about is incomprehensible. Selfish, irresponsible, and reckless on her part.
    No wonder they fly private planes. That kid wouldn’t pass security check point. Even saying a word that sounds like “bomb” at an airport, like “lip BALM” can get you in trouble real quick. There was an incident where they detained a child for saying some sort of weapon word.

i agree with oriana and even play knives are dangerous what would happen if he hurt shiloh or the younger kids i think that toy knives guns etc.should not be given to a child as young as he is i mean i like angelina but she needs to let him play with safe toys that are for all ages

51. hitherdither says

I agree Oriana. Why try to inforce this fetish of hers on a child? And to say she had sex involving self mutilation..well that’s just crazy. She belongs in those underground sex movies. When is she going to learn to keep her big lips shut and stop reminding people of what she “used” to be? It only gives her bad publicity. Maybe she misses it tho and that’s why she keeps talking about it. And what in the world does Brad say to her about that? I’m sure he knew about things before he married her since she doesn’t mind telling everyone. On the other hand maybe he likes it too.

I don’t think her obvious still obsession with knives is anything to boast about and buying him knives as young as he is is ridiculous to me! So what if the blades are dulled, they can still be dangerous. I could think of a lot of other things she could expose him too other than this.

1. a good idea to mix it up…

every once in while and have a guest write a post for you. guests could be highly qualified professionals in a field of business interest that you often deal with on your blog, or family friends who have some sort of…

2. bb guns uk…

This enables authors to keep track of who is linking to, or referring to their articles. The TrackBack specification was created by Six…