Angelina Jolie's W Cover Inspires New Moms To Breast-Feed

Thanks to her new W magazine cover, Angelina Jolie will inspire more new mothers to breast-feed, according to officials from various breast-feeding support organizations.

About 70 percent of American mothers breast-feed their newborns, but the rate falls dramatically after six months, Reuters reports.

Dr. Shannon Fox, a psychotherapist with Momlogic.com, said, “If someone as popular, beautiful and together as Angelina is breast-feeding her children, it inspires other women to do so themselves.”

The downside? “She is also an international sex symbol,” Dr. Fox told Reuters. “So whether or not she says, ‘This is a beautiful way of nurturing my baby,’ every man who sees that photo will see those breasts as sexual.”

The beautiful photo – taken by Brad Pitt – shows Angelina, 33, smiling, while a tiny hand is just visible at the bottom of the frame.

“Mothers of twins report it takes a lot of time, effort and physical energy to breast-feed. I think the picture is beautiful,” La Leche League International spokeswoman Jane Krouse told Reuters.

Added Andi Silverman, author of Mama Knows Breast: “I think it is fabulous. Seeing a celebrity like Angelina Jolie breast-feed can be a role model to encourage women to make a choice that is wonderful for their baby.”

“Breasts are used to sell all sorts of products,” Andi Silverman said, “so to see them used the way nature intended can only be a great thing.”

Comments

1. eyesofpearls says

To breastfeed a child of 2 or 3? Are you nutts? You just develop a parasite instead of an independent individual!HORRIBLE!

2. catsue says

First of all, Angelina is pretty. Second, she does devote her time and money to humanitarian things. Third- she IS crazy. I hope she stops having kids now- adoption or natural.

For all those women out there who think breast feeding a 2 and 3 year old, YOU ARE CRAZY. Every heard of something called food and milk (From a cow!). It’s like stupid moms who also put pacifiers in mouths of kids who are 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 years old!

3. catsue says

#13- GROSS. 2 years old! Time to stop and get your TODDLER on food. I think you just like the stimulation.

4. catsue says

I think it’s total rubbish that breast feeding is best, etc. Out of 15 women I know, only 4 breast fed. They say that breast feeding protects your child against illnesses, ear aches, allergies, and obesity. Well the 4 women I know who DID breast feed: one baby got OBESE, 2 babies were sick all the time and had allergies, and the other baby had ear aches all the time. The 11 women friends who DID NOT breast feed, had ZERO of these things. Why are some women so adamant that a bottle is so bad. I think these women are just wanting their husbands play with them and this is the next best thing. Gross- but probably true.

5. Niloofar says

IM IRANIAN & in iran breastfeed feel natural to a mother. but everybody has a different idea like TESS everything she does is for her personal life and it is none of nobody business.

In the way!! Deb, I kind of like mine honey! Ha! I hope you aren’t flat chested for you would know what I mean! I do agree that they should be used for nursing babies, if a woman has a baby, what about the women with breasts that have never been pregnant and don’t have any milk?

7. Deb says

Womens breast’s were put there to nurse babies. Producing milk is there main purpose. Weather you choose to nurse or not they still will make milk after you have a baby. The rest of the time they are in the way and a place for cancer to form. Men’s toys they are not! Biology 101

Zbella, don’t you find it embarrassing when you are out in pubic with a child that old? Does she eat solid foods? Have you ever heard of the cups that children drink from after being weaned from a bottle? A child two years old is called a “toddler” from all the books I have read, maybe it is changed now? To each his own, but I just don’t think children three years old should still be breast fed, it is crazy and you should know that.

9. Rachel says

Nurse as long as she chooses? I can just imagine in 20 years…Bitty Bitty!! (For everbody who watches Little Britain)

10. Zbella says

AJ is so beautiful. If it gives some women the boost they need to try breastfeeing, great! I have already been breastfeeding (or nursing, as I call it) for over 5 years now. My baby is 26 months and will be allowed to nurse as long as she chooses, whether Oriana finds is crazy or not 🙂

11. sharlee says

When it comes to breast feeding your child or children it is a personal choice. Not breast feeding does not make you a bad mother just as breast feeding doen’t make you a better one. I had ALOT of trouble getting my first daughter to breast feed and this was 19 years ago. My other two daughters breast fed for well over three years each (sometimes in tandum). 7 and a half years of straight nursing ruined my boobs but I would do it over again in an instant. Everyone is intitled to their opinion and shouldn’t be told that it’s wrong. I think Ms Jolie is beautiful but hey it’s just MY opinion.

12. eyesofpearl says

#30.. I call it double standards, Jill. You promote care for your children, you breastfeed them, look after them and then you teach them how to admire daggers. I call it hypocrisy. You don’t have to agree with me. I don’t care. I am entitled to my opinion.

13. MOMX3 says

I don’t get it…basically formula is pretty similar to powdered coffee creamer. Don’t believe me? Read the ingredients.

All three of my kids breastfed and the statement I just made is only the tip of the iceberg why.

14. jealousy is evident says

Tess – All I am saying is mothers should at least TRY to breastfeed their babies. If it doesn’t work out – oh well, at least you tried to give your baby what’s best. But not even trying is selfish because all you’re thinking of is yourself not whats best for the baby. And in my opinion it is ignorant because you’re ignoring the facts. Would you smoke around your baby because you want a smoke? Or would you go outside because you know the effects of second hand smoke?

15. Jill says

#29- what do the 2 have to do with each other? You make no sense. So, just because she breastfeeds, she can’t show her boy a knife? Breastfeeding isn’t about safety, it’s about nutrition. So, what, it;’s ok for mothers who formula feed to show knives to their kids? Dumb.

16. eyesofpearls says

Ah, at one moment she promotes breastfeeding…a week later she says she teaches her son to love knives. This woman is full of controversies….

17. MommaE says

really, it’s just a nice photo! I am sure it wasn’t posted to envoke such an intense discussion! It is a choice that each woman needs to make personally-I think that everyone should at least give it a shot, but truly it doesn’t work for all people-we shouldn’t be attacking! It’s hard enough in those early days-you’ve got to do what works for you and your family

On the real subject the photo is gorgeous! I really do enjoy them and the rest of the photos are great! They are just regular shots that any spouse would take-love them!

18. Josie says

Yes, she is stunningly beautiful. I can definitely see myself being in awe of a woman like AJ – she is very inspirational and selfless!!

19. annie says

Angelina she is most beautiful women in the world, she is the best actress and we like her movies.

20. Amanda says

Angie is in no way a roll model to me, I think breast feeding is a peronal choice, no celebrity is going to change your mind.

I just hope Angie can keep it up, let’s face it she has never shown real stabitility for very long in her life. I mean just look at her past. Yeah I know people can change etc etc but she still hasnt made peace with her father and yet she claims family is what is most important. The very fact that she is saying she needed a man to make her better says a lot to me about her.
    I AM NOT SAYING SHE IS A BAD MOTHER OR PERSON. I think she is a great one I just hope she can keep it up. She took on quite a bit really fast. Wont be long for it to lose all its glamour.
    I also don’t think the only reason Brad left JA was because he wanted children. I think there was much more to it than that. I think that was a cover up for him ans Angie adopting and having kids so quickly.

21. Tess says

Jessica, I stated my opinion and I have chosen not to repeat myself again. If you are having a hard time grasping what I said then perhaps you need to take a remedial English course. I’m done with you!

To the other women that have posted, thank you for being so open-minded and honest 🙂

22. Brangelinasuck says

Angelina will always be a low fame whore. It’s people like you who need vacuous celebrities to inspire you to do what is right for you or natural. Anyone that Angelina inspires can’t really have a mind of their own. The jealousy argument is so weak.

23. samsmom says

Tess, I can empathize with you. Although I do breast feed my child, I had some of the same feelings you did. I think it is because as a child of the eighties, I did not grow up around it. None of the women in my family did and it was a rare occasion when I saw it take place. Years later when I became pregnant, I knew I wanted to give it a try because of all of the health benefits, plus I wanted some of the perks as well (weight loss, not having to make bottles, etc.). Anyway, I cannot tell you how many nightmares I had about breastfeeding while pregnant. I was so worried that I would not be good at it, hate it, or about what people would think.
    Well, long story short, my son was born and he was a natural at it. He took right to it, I had very few problems and here we are 2 years later still at it.
    I am not trying to make you feel bad at all, I just understand where you are coming from and wanted to share my story.

24. COuld it be says

I think this is a beautiful photo of Angelina and I think it is wonderful that she was willing to have these photographs out there. It’s not every celebrity who’d be willing to have their no make-up, non-airbrushed face on the front of a magazine.

Breastfeeding can be extraordinarily difficult and there are all sorts of messages from both sides that end up making women feel bad about their choices. Let’s lay off each other.

25. Sarah says

This is redonkulous. Saying mom’s act high and mighty because they breastfeed?!?! I nursed both of my boys until they were 1 and I got just as much crap for breastfeeding as other moms do for not. Why can’t we all just respect eachothers personal choices. I could care less how another mother chooses to take care of HER child! As long as proper respect is given to my choices, than I’m happy.

26. Rachel says

Come on Jessica, comparing the choice of bottlefeeding to breathing from an oxigentank or iv feeding is taking it a bit far. So if you’re all for doing things the natural way, I suppose you also don’t use birth control as it’s not natural? And you let all your body hair grow as it’s there for a reason?

27. Jessica says

Of course anyone is entitled to not breastfeed. However to say that it doesn’t feel natural suggests to me that the poster might have issues. Tess when you said that breastfeeding is not a requirement of life by that same token I could say that even breathing and eating are not. You could, if you wanted to, choose to breathe in air from an oxygen tank with the aid of tubes or get your nutrients intravenously instead of eating. If you couldn’t actually do those things nature’s way then yes, of course you have to look for the alternatives. But women who choose to not breastfeed when they can are doing no different to the breathing and eating with the aid of tubes I mentioned earlier. Not the natural way.

28. Sandra says

I dislike how the high and mighty moms (women) feel they must call names and throw in the faces of those that choose to not bf’d. As Tess has said it is a choice, so leave it at that. It is a choice. Our kids will not die if they do not get breastfed. In fact they still say when you bf’d your baby won’t be so sick blah blah blah. HA my son wasn’t breastfed and he had 1 cold by the age of 1 and he still has yet to have an ear infection. On the other hand my friend who did bf’d her son was constantly sick with this and that.

So just exactly what better chance would I or others be giving to their child if they breastfed? Lame # 8

29. Deeds says

Don’t you think AJ looks different in this pic? (I’m not saying she isn’t beautiful) There’s something different about her. She looks about 10 years younger.

I breastfeed my two year -old and my 8 month -old, and once we finalize our pending adoption of our 13 month-old, she will probably get in on the action, too! It’s totally a choice, though…and for us, it works because it carves out specific, scheduled one-on-one time for my child(ren) and me since we have a lot of babies in our family. Obviously the main point of breastfeeding baby Kajanae (the youngest) is for nutritional value, but anways…just my ramblings; don’t care to take part in the feud.

31. tess says

Excellent points Rachel!!! Thank you!!

For those women that prefer to breastfeed – Great!! For those who choose not to – Great!!! There is no right and wrong here!! If breastfeeding moms want other people to respect them for breastfeeding their child in public, then you have to reciprocate by respecting a woman’s choice to NOT breastfeed because she does not like the feeling of her breast being sucked 24/7 or because she does not feel comfortable doing so or because she can’t produce milk. To each their own!!!

#8 & #9 – Comparing breathing to breastfeeding is like comparing apples to oranges. Breathing is a requirement of life whereas breastfeeding is not a requirement, it is a choice made by the caregiver/mother/guardian. Stop trying to police other women by insisting that they do what you think is right. Trying to control another persons thoughts and feelings by trivializing them and mocking them is lame.

There are a lot of women these days that do not (cannot) get pregnant the old fashioned way i.e. via intercourse, they rely on modern techniques of insemination and fertility treatments. Does this mean that news ways of conception are wrong or unjust or unnatural? I certainly don’t think so. So before you call someone ignorant #8 – do some research. I won’t hurt YOU as much as YOUR cutting words hurt OTHERS.

32. Rachel says

#9 How can an opinion not be valid? If that is how she feels, than that’s the way it is for her. A friend of mine does not want children, because she does not feel it is right for her. Should she have one anyway because her body is made for making babies?

33. Rachel says

Breastfeeding is a choice you make. Stop laying on Tess for making the choice not to breastfeed. How is not breastfeeding selfish? I love the fact that many people breastfeed their children, because they think it’s the best….and then feed them pizza, fries and whatever until they are obese.

34. Jessica says

Tess, just because you said that it’s not natural TO YOU doesn’t mean it makes your statement valid. It is a ridiculous thing to say, like saying that breathing does not feel natural to you or eating does not feel natural to you.

35. jealousy is evident says

#2 nasty mean person who’s obviously jealous of how beautiful and nice Angelina is! Look in the mirror spiteful!

And as far as breastfeeding goes – I hope the picture inspires more ignorant people to at least give it a try!! I know not everyone can for various reasons, but don’t be so ignorant as to not even try to give your baby a better chance because you are too selfish to try?? Lame Tess

36. tess says

#5 – I said: Breastfeeding does not feel natural to me. What part of that statement do you not understand?
    I did not say, it is NOT natural to breastfeed. I said it does not feel natural to ME!! Get it??!!

37. nemeka says

Oh for goodness sake, Tess, how can it not be natural to breast feed?????? Why do you think you have breasts? Just to make your clothes han a certain way? Well newsflash honey, breasts are for feeding babies!

38. tess says

This cover will not influence me to breastfeed. It does not feel natural to me to be doing this. Everyone is entitled to their own choice when it comes to raising their children. Seeing a celeb doing something is not going to persuade me to do the same.

39. Brangelinasuck says

Please, stop putting this whore on a pedestal for doing what comes natural to most mothers. The current boom in breast feeding came in the early 90’s when this witch was whoring herself out as a 14 year old.