Poem Titled "To My Child"

Below is a beautiful poem that Brooke Burke posted on her blog a few days ago. A friend of hers had e-mailed it to her.

To My Child

Just for this morning, I am going to step over the laundry, and
pick you up and take you to the park to play.

Just for this morning, I will leave the dishes in the sink, and l
let you teach me how to put that puzzle of yours together.

Just for this afternoon, I will unplug the telephone and keep the
computer off, and sit with you in the backyard and blow bubbles.

Just for this afternoon, I will not yell once, not even a tiny grumble when you scream and whine for the ice cream truck and I will buy you one if he comes by.

Just for this afternoon, I won’t worry about what you are going to be when you grow up, or second guess every decision I have madewhere you are concerned.

Just for this afternoon, I will let you help me bake cookies, and I
won’t stand over you trying to fix them.

Just for this afternoon, I will take us to McDonald’s and buy us
both a Happy Meal so you can have both toys.

Just for this evening, I will hold you in my arms and tell you a
story about how you were born and how much I love you.

Just for this evening, I will let you splash in the tub and not get angry.

Just for this evening, I will let you stay up late while we sit on
the porch and count all the stars.

Just for this evening, I will snuggle beside you for hours, and miss my favorite TV shows.

Just for this evening when I run my finger through your hair as you pray, I will simply be grateful that God has given me the greatest gift ever given.

I will think about the mothers And fathers who are searching for
their missing children, the mothers and fathers who are visiting
their children’s graves instead of their bedrooms, and mothers and
fathers who are in hospital rooms watching their children suffer
senselessly, and screaming inside that they can’t handle it anymore.

And when I kiss you good night I will hold you a little tighter, a
little longer. It is then, that I will thank God for you.

1. JAYNE says

I love this poem, whoever wrote it. It just sums up what we all need to focus on – spending time with the kids, while we have them. I spend every evening with my kids doing what they want to do and do the jobs when they are tucked up in bed, we leave the big jobs till the weekend and everybody joins in. That way i get a fun break from the trials of the day and get to catch up on jobs when I have more energy and no children tugging at me. Above all, the kids, Dad and I get to spend quality time together. My boys are 6 and 19 months. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

2. Everyonehasone says

I thought the poem was lovely. I had a child late in life and spend every moment I can with him.. I don’t worry about laundry, dishes or vaccuming like I did before I had him. He will only be little once (he’s 10 now) and I don’t want to miss any of it… the laundry, dishes and vaccuming will all still be there after he is off with his friends as a teenager.. Love them while you can!! They grow up tooo fast.

3. Tatiana Sanchez says

this is a really good poem my little girl is in the hospital right now from some stupid ass person who hit my daughter and took off this helped a lot thanks

4. Sally Meyer says

I am the author of this poem. It was written in 1999 for my son who has autism. It was written in the evening, after a particularly hard day with him.

If the webmistress would please contact me, so that I can have my name and copyright information on the poem, I would appreciate it.

Sally Meyer

5. laila says

try to live a bit of this poem everyday I had my kids later in life and so I tried to do some of this every day.

6. DMITZ says

Thank you bj’s mom 🙂 I often find myself saying the same thing. I’ve gotta try to remind myself every now and then.

7. Julie says

Sandy i kno it does but lia hasnt been posting i hope everything is ok with the moving to the new pent house highrise and kimora at school im a regular reader shes a great writer but i miss seeing new entries. i know shes busy to with karmello and kadence coming soon.

8. bj's mom says

DMITZ….that was as nice as the poem itself! 🙂 and i agree….i feel like im always saying “i cant right now, i have to……” we are so lucky to have them!

9. DMITZ says

I’ve read this poem many times and I enjoy it everytime as if it’s the 1st time I’m reading it. As a full time working mother of 2, my days are pretty hectic with a toddler and a 6 year old (in school and plays soccer). I know many of you have even more than 2 children that play multiple sports/activities, so I’m sure you can appreciate the meaning behind this poem. Often I’ve found myself watching my daugther putting together a puzzle, frustrated and crying out, “Mommy help me!” I can be in the middle of ironing, cooking dinner, answering a phone call, cleaning, or anything that I feel needs to be done at that moment. It’s reminders like this that make me want to step back and take a deep breath and just give that extra time to help my daugther. There are times when my son wants my husband and I to watch SpongeBob with him or another show that just doesn’t seem as exciting as our nightly shows we DVR to catch up on when our children are sleeping or preoccupied. There are times when he asks us to play a board game with him but we need to go to the grocery store, drop clothes off at the cleaners, and wash the car all within a 3 hour time frame. It’s those precious moments you will never get back with your children that we should all treasure and take advantage of now (like someone said, by the time they are too old to want to spend this time with their parents). I feel for the person that lost their child to cancer and when I read this, I feel so lucky to have 2 children that love me as much as I love them. I don’t think it’s about spoiling your children or spending unnecessary money on them. It’s about all of us fast paced parents that don’t always take them time to slow down and let our children know how much they mean to us.

10. theresa says

maybe brooke and her friends will feel all warm and fuzzy about themselves because they decide to try and be more zen and aware and appreciative “just this one” day… they should try being more like this everyday – and who really thinks brooke burke has to do her own dishes or laundry?

11. Nicole says

I think it’s perfectly healthy sometimes to step back, relax, and just go with things. Like the saying goes, “Everything in moderation.” It’s easy to be too strict and easy to be too soft. Balance is the key, at least to me. Beautiful poem.

12. MommaE says

Thanks Tabitha, it’s nice to see a mature discussion on this board-it can sometimes be awfuly mean and over dramatic!

13. Tabitha says

Right, it is just a fun and silly blog until people start analyzing each sentence to bits. If I come across as intense, I didn’t mean to…My comments in the last sentence were not called for.

14. MommaE says

Thanks for the comment #10. I actually wasn’t even referring to you when I made those comments, but if you feel the need to clairify then it’s your perogative. Your response however is a little intense-It’s just a fun and silly blog 🙂

15. Tabitha says

MommaE–grow up, seriously. In spite of the constructive critiscism I left (which was respecful and tasteful)…I stated it was a beautiful poem, and listed the parts that sincerely moved me. I referred to it as “touching” and said it “really hit home for me personally”. Even the most established authors in the world recieve constructive criticism from time to time….and THAT is what makes their poetry better and better each time. Plus it is ok for people to have different views on topics. So seriously….take your little whine fest elsewhere.

16. MommaE says

wow, i cannot believe the comments-this is a poem that should be read every day to remind us how lucky you are to be parents! I don’t believe that this was to be taken literally but honestly people…..maybe your’re reading a bit too much into it…..get over it! It was a beautiful poem thank you for posting it Webmistress

17. Tabitha says

Pehaps I’m missing the point entirely, but i just don’t believe that buying your child every little thing they want is how you show them you love them. (such as the ice cream, cookies, and the 2 mcdonald toys.) But it is a beautiful poem other than that, and yes I realize the line was “just for today”, meaning buying the child all those things on that day does not mean it is an everyday occurence. I’m not even impyling the author is spoiling her child…it just seems to me that in a poem about expressing the ways you show love for your child…discussion about what you will buy for them should be left out. The focus of their time spent together was what really seemed touching to me. I liked the lines about blowing bubbles, counting stars, snuggling, etc. Those were the ones that really hit home for me personally.

18. Lisa says

Parents should be parents and not best friends or buddies, but occasionaly we do need to step back from that and have fun with our children. That is what I think that is about # 3

If I had no routine and followed no set rules my childs life would be chaotic and she would turn into a spoiled brat

19. canuck says

…except for the part about McDonalds! That place is PURE evil. And while I’m at it, why is she only doing these nice things “just for today” why not every day? That’s what parenting is all about.