More Women (With & Without Children) Staying Home!

Within less than a decade, the number of children raised by stay-at-home moms has increased by 13 percent, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Ivy League-educated women are rebelling against the work force. Highly qualified women are rejecting fame and fortune for the comforts of family life. They’re choosing children instead of career.

Fifty years after women swarmed the work force, they’re going back home, leaving experts to question if the feminist fad is out of fashion.

Indeed, support for working moms is falling dramatically amid “growing sympathy” for the view that women should be in the home and not the workplace.

In the US the percentage of people arguing that family life does not suffer if a woman works has plummeted, from 51% in 1994 to 38% in 2002.

Professor Jacqueline Scott of Cambridge University said the idea that support was steadily growing for women taking an equal role in the workplace, rather than their traditional role in the home was “clearly a myth”.

She added: “Instead, there is clear evidence that women’s changing role is viewed as having costs both for the woman and the family.

“It is conceivable that opinions are shifting as the shine of the ‘super-mum’ syndrome wears off, and the idea of women juggling high-powered careers while also baking cookies and reading bedtime stories is increasingly seen to be unrealisable by ordinary mortals.”

And it isn’t just more mothers that are staying home to focus on their families….more wives without children are staying home too!

Dr. Scott Haltzman, author of “The Secrets of Happily Married Women,” says that stay-at-home wives constitute a growing niche. “In the past few years, many women who are well educated and trained for career tracks have decided instead to stay at home,” he says. While his research is ongoing, he estimates that more than 10 percent of the 650 women he’s interviewed who choose to stay home are childless.

Daniel Buccino, a Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine clinical social worker and psychotherapist, says stay-at-home wives are the latest “status symbols.”

“It says, ‘We make enough money that we both don’t need to work outside the home,'” he says. “And especially with the recent economic pressures, a stay-at-home spouse is often an extreme and visible luxury.”

Stay-at-home wife Anne Marie Davis, 34, says that staying home allows for charity work and leisure: reading, creative writing and exploring new hobbies, like sewing.

It’s a lifestyle, Anne says, that has made her happier and brought her closer to her husband. “We’re no longer stressed out,” she says; because she takes care of the home, there are virtually no “honey-do” lists to hand over.

“If you told me years ago that I was going to be a stay-at-home wife, I would have laughed at you,” said Catherine Zoerb, 27. Yet after she finished graduate school in 2005, she found herself unemployed, childless — and strangely happy. With her husband’s support, Catherine decided to just stay home.

“I was able to clip coupons, do all the chores and make nice dinners,” she said. “I was much less stressed and tense.”

Catherine’s husband, Kirk Zoerb is a man who appreciates the scope and difficulties of managing a household: Kirk, 27, says he’s happiest when his wife is jobless.

“When Catherine stays at home, I feel the house is more together because she has the time to do things like in-depth cleaning and can be more attentive to the garden,” he said. “She also has more time to find good deals at secondhand stores, garage sales and at grocery stores.” As a couple, he said, “we have more energy and are generally emotionally healthier.”

What do you think? Is this a trend in your life and community?

Source & Source

Thank you for some other informative website. The place else could I get that type of information written in such a perfect manner? I’ve a undertaking that I’m simply now running on, and I’ve been on the look out for such info.

Hi there, I discovered your website by means of Google even as searching for a related subject, your web site came up, it looks good. I’ve added to favourites|added to my bookmarks.

3. cathy says

I consider myself well educated … at least my 2 graduate (note, not undergrad degree) diplomas and my stock pile of school loans would tell me! Nevertheless, since the age of 18, until last year (now age 39), I worked non-stop!

When our family moved, I was unable to find employment and went through “dark times” emotionally trying to understand why no one wanted to hire me?!!

I had been raised in a family of six boys and I the only female; that, women should rely on no man! Well folks, the reality is, when I was working I taught high school, tutored daily after school, and I also headed a school club that had events on the weekends. In reality, I had little time to spend with my two very young boys. Then, I had even less energy to keep up with my slob (B personality) the husband, and the boys leaving toys, bottles, snacks, everywhere, laundry, dinner, etc… . My husband and I fought all the time about this, and we even hired a maid to come in once a week to help out. It still was not enough!!

Now that I have been home over a year, I have moved away from feeling sorry for myself for not working, and trying to refocus my energy into my children. It is not always easy!! My boys are ages 4 and 6, and are very active. But, if I were working, I would not have the time to do homework, reading, playing games, making them a home cooked “healthy”meal every evening, etc! Unless, you are wealthy and can hire someone to do these other responsibilities, then women, usually have to be “super” women; which is pretty much impossible! Some thing/s simply has/have to give.

We should not be judging in the perspective, I am better because I stay at home or that I work or I have children or have none. As women, we should be respectful of one another. We have forced men (and women) to notice our worth in the work force and we are still doing this. And now, women are showing once again their true value at home. (Trust me, I made my husband eat sandwiches for his dinner for a month until he finally learned to stop calling me at 10 a.m. at work to ask me what was for dinner!!).

Lastly, I am fortunate that I do have a husband that can allow me to stay home given his field in the medical profession. I also have a friend (highly educated) who stays home with his daughters, while his wife the doctor is the primary bread winner! Whatever works, make the most of it. One position is not better than another.

4. Christina says

Why on earth are all you self-proclaimed high achieving women (and men) picking on poor Jill? If indeed it is more than one person claiming to be real #1 through 5.
    She originally only claimed that motherhood was the hardest, yet most rewarding job in the world and no job outside the home is harder. Most others here who claim to have the highest educational background also said the same thing. Doing a good job of raising the next generation is one hell of a responsibility, and no profession, if you get it wrong, carries longer or greater personal repercussions. I know the debate degenerated after that, but she wasn’t the only culprit.

Yet someone calls her ‘typical low class’ and laughs at her educational standard and implies she’s not fit to either work outside the home or capable of coping in it. Do you mean to say that only well endowed financially, middleclass graduates, former high flyers are now allowed to be good mothers? What nonsense.
    That is what I dislike most about the new generation of Yummy Mummy, earth mother, domestic goddess types – for a lot of women being a SAHM is the new way of having it all and also a form of one-upmanship.

5. Real Women says

Jill there you go…5 women who have been there done that in the corporate world who now love the luxury of being at home mom. You should be glad that the challenges of being a mom is the only challenge you have faced in your life.

6. Real Women #5 says

yet another highly educated SHAM here! i have a masters degree in education and spent 5 years working in the field after grad school….only to get completely burnt out! thankfully I got pregnant (2.5 years trying and a bunch ‘o fertility treatments) otherwise I don’t know what i’d be doing now. I love staying home more than anything else I’ve done. I dread going back to work some day.

7. Real Women #4 says

I have a master’s degree and worked in my field for years and as a full time college professor for 5 years before becoming a SAHM. I plan to homeschool and hope never to go back to paid work unless it’s absolutely necessary. We chose this path because it’s where both our hearts are, of course, it’s not the right choice for everyone.

With that said, I find my job very stimulating every day. I’m constantly researching, reading and learning new things – particularly about child development, global issues, homemaking crafts and skills, our natural world, etc. I love that I have time to pursue activities that I love and learn things I’m interested in, rather than being forced to do what a boss or employer wants or perform repetitive tasks that I used to have to do.

So for me, it’s way more intellectually stimulating and interesting being home than it ever was at work.

8. Real Women #3 says

Cutting out shapes with much kids is so much more fulfilling to me than the yrs I worked in nonprofits, honestly. It’s real and I can see the impact I am having in the here now. If I want to go back to my old work, it’s always there. My child however, well this is just a moment that I am not going to waste not wanting to be where I am right now. I have made my choices and am grateful I had the choice in the first place.

9. Real Women #2 says

I am glad I waited to start my family until after we experienced having our education and working. I got to experience several women who had to work and leave their family at home. I saw some thrive and others struggle with it. It showed me I wanted to be home and we did everything in our power to make it feasible which included having our education. If we did not have our degrees, I don’t think we would have had the excellent start to provide for our children and yes we expect them to be educated as well and will do what we need for them to do this just like our parents did for us.

10. Real Women #1 says

I have a BS degree and 6 years of work experience before I left paid employment, and I am glad that I have my degree. No matter what job field I would return to, having the degree makes me significantly more employable. I like having the security of knowing that I could return to paid employment if I needed or wanted to.

I also feel fortunate that I could put the cares of the ‘outside world’ aside and focus on my babies entirely, and I really enjoyed doing this. Maybe other people have trouble doing this? I also thought my higher education gave me a better perspective on the value of my staying home with my kids. I appreciate that I could make a conscious choice to stay home with my kids, rather that do it by default because higher education wasn’t an opportunity for me.

11. real mother says

Jill is a typical spoiled American low class women. If you don’t want to be a stay at home mom, then go get some degrees that are so easy to get according to you, go get a real job paying $100k/year (that should be easy too right?) and then hire a nanny and send your kids to private boarding school.

Motherhood is work? yes. But it is work where you never get fired, outsourced, laid off, sued, responsible for managing lives of 100s, responsible for managing $1M+ of budget, require 4-8 year of higher education as qualification, discriminated (race, age), require any experience (the ultimate catch22 for any entry job), no office politics, you don’t have to brown nose, you are not selling lies to profit, your company/organization is not cladestine (blackwater private military)…many other things which make jobs jobs

12. a Guy says

Two types of stay at home mothers

1) college educated, worked in a professional job for 2-3 years before having a baby and deciding to be SAHM to provide the best care of their child
    2) not college educated or educated but never really worked a professional job before having a baby and deciding to be a SAHM because of financial reasons (her salary does not compensate enough for childcare expenses for her not to be SAHM)

Women in category 1 are happy to be SAHM and appreciative of the fact that they can do so.
    Women in category 2 are like Jill and complain how hard motherhood is compared to community college or some hourly job at the mall.

13. a Guy says

TO JILL…

To me you find motherhood challenging and difficult because you never had to work hard in your life. Have you ever achieved anything at top 10%?

Please spend 4 years in a top 50 college, 2years in a graduate school, get As and Bs, get a job that pays more thar $50K/year, work at a job for 5 years AND THEN tell me that professional life is easier than motherhood.

Just because you clean the house doesn’t mean you are a fulltime janitor who have to clean at night when everyone else is at home having dinner cleaning huge buildings with every efficiency, no respect for your work, all kind of mess in the toilets, etc. Cleaning after your kid’s bathroom is nothing like cleaning a busy airport restroom with 100 stalls EVERYDAY.

It all comes down to professional jobs are 95% meaningless means to an end to put food on the table, whereas motherhood is the most meaningful service a mother can provide to her own child. Motherhood gives meaning to your life.

14. babymom says

“ignorant”….I’m hearing this word often these days and almost always it is coming from people who are uneducated not smart enough to go to college when 30% of population are these days….meaning they are ignorant themselves and do not understand the true meaning of the word.

15. a Guy says

Mothers like you who complain and unappreciative of the OPPORTUNITY to spend time with your child are the most likely to get divorced by their husbands. Either bring home more money than your husband so your husband can be the stay at home dad (try getting ANY job in this economy), or you be the stay at home mom and thank your husband.

Only relationships I found which last30+ years are
    1) both spouses work at high income jobs where they can afford $30/year childcare
    2) spouse earning little after taxes – childcare expenses stop working and be the stay at home person (why work when you throw all the money to childcare raising your kid by someone else who don’t give a damn)
    3) both spouse earn low income so they have to work both jobs while their kids are being raised by aunt/grandparents etc.

Otherwise I guarantee you someone will snap during the life of the kid and will divorce.

I am a stay at home wife for a lot of the same reasons as Sam (#18). We live abroad because my husband’s work is here. I have a college degree and have used it working full time, but here there isn’t work for me. I don’t mind though. I find good things to do outside of the home, I get things done at home, and I enjoy my life. We hope to have a child in the next year or so and then I’ll be a stay at home mom. I’m looking forward to that too. I don’t look down on mom’s who work outside the home though. Sometimes it’s necessary and sometimes people just like to! That’s fine. On the other hand, I disagree with the idea that it’s “regressive for the status of women (#12)” if I stay at home. I actually think it’s progressive that women have a choice. Either choice is okay.

17. N says

I, like #35(Mary), work full time and do everything at home. My husband stays home during the day with our son until i get off then he goes to work then its my turn…Until he goes to pre-school. I clean the babies play room EVERYDAY!!. I clean the kitchen EVERYDAY!! I clean the rest of the house EVERY 2 DAYS with a thorough cleaning on SAT. I cook EVERYDAY!! I wash a load of clothes EVERYDAY!! I pay bills like any normal person. I am a nurse when he gets hurt ….you know the rest JILL!! ; )

yet Jill is a SAHM with a 5mth old that cant even eat, who has never felt so CHALLENGED, along with being mentally drained. IF you were running a business out of your home you’re not going to have a very successful business when you’re spending the whole morning tending to your child. Thats only IF….. ; ) Let me use one of your lines…….”Please don’t call me ignorant- you are the ignorant one. You have no idea what you’re talking about. How naive.”

18. N says

Jill – Sorry you are the ignorant one. Do you even know what that word means? I know it is a very BIG WORD for you. Let’s take a step back. Did you go to college? Obviously NO! because if you did you wouldn’t have that remiss and smug attitude towards it. It was you that said the task didn’t have that much self-worth. When it has plenty! That was the argument and my point, honey. Did I lose you somewhere. The other question was…. Here we go are you ready? What needs besides those listed does your 5mth old need that you cant even eat? Sorry to say but you are not a strong woman. You would not be able to survive working and maintaining a household at the same time. For the sake of your child PLEASE continue to be a SAHM. You would probably die if you had to accomplish anything that involves MULTITASKING. : )
    And thats not all I have to say….but for sake of your feelings I wont continue…. ; )

19. Mary says

I was the product of a stay at home mom who was miserable and resentful. She hated her life and was jealous of her children’s success. She grew ill and died at a young age because she always felt less because she didn’t go to college etc etc. Her negativity and misery deeply affected her 6 children and I learned that being happy in your life and grateful for whatever path you have chosen is so important if you want to raise children that are happy and know their worth. I work full time because I am earn significantly more money than my husband and support the house financially. I also do everything at home, so on Friday night I clean and take care of the chores until 3 am so I can have a free weekend. I enjoy my job as well as my home life and my daughter is happy and secure because she is being raised by a woman that is happy. So stop wasting your energy picking on each other because you are accomplishing nothing except dishonoring another soul.

20. N says

“anyone can get a degree”……. is not a fact! Its pretty obvious #32 has not gone to college or even tried. Getting a license as you stated is not the same thing. They do not compare. College is not some easy feat that ANYONE can accomplish. I really wish you would stop using that as an argument. No one is saying that being a SAHM is not hard or self-fulfilling. I have a problem with the fact that your 5mth olds needs prevent you from eating properly and taking care of yourself properly. At 5 mths old he/she is only eating, sleeping, and pooping and all of that is done on a schedule. How many needs does a 5mth old have?

21. Jill says

# 30- raising a kid until they’re a young adult is tough work- and it can bring much self-worth. The fact that you have raised that child with morals and values, protected and sheltered them and made them upstanding citizens in the community is earned with much more self-worth than going to college. if you think that just cleaning the house is all someone does at home, you’re sadly mistaken. I could say the same thing about someone who went to college and got a degree. Like I said in my last post, ANYONE can get a degree, not everyone can raise a child. The woman who can do both, more power to her- that takes a lot of strength, persistence and patience. My mom for example was a stay at home mom. My Father worked outside the home, but he never made her just sit at home and twiddle her thumbs. She ran a daycare business for awhile and now she has a craft business and keeps busy. She dealt with the finances, driving us to soccer, baseball and gymnastics, ran errands, helped us with homework and many other things. She was a hard worker- INSIDE the home. She sacrificed more than anything. She is now 56 years old and she still has her own hobbies and life. My dad in no way keeps her under his thumb- it’s probably the exact opposite! 🙂

This is a huge step back for women. I would like to think I’m worth more than cooking dinner and keeping a tidy house. What happens wen the kids grow up? You’ll be stuck at home twiddling your thumbs with 0 self worth looking for messes to clean just so you can please your husband. GO TO COLLEGE , GIRLS. Unless you prefer for men to try to keep you under their thumbs any way that they can… just sayin.

23. Jill says

Self-indulgence???? What is taking care of a 5 month old baby? It’s the exact opposite! Just you wait and see if you plan on having kids!! It’s fully self-sacrificing! I barely have time to take care of myself during the day! Sometimes I can’t eat until 1200 in the afternoon because his needs come first!! Listen Diane- I have no problem with women working outside the home while having a baby or like me, staying at home. Everyone is misunderstanding my posts. If you work, congratulations. To me, just because someone has a degree and a job outside the home doesn’t mean they have a clue about what it takes to raise a baby. JMO, it takes a lot more than some stupid degree to do that. ANYONE can go get a degree, but not everyone can raise a child. It takes a lot of wisdom. Everyone on here has absolute opinions-even you. It’s a blog and I’m not the type of person to ride both sides of the fence. I’m sorry if I offended you and for what I said. I really don’t want to argue with you- honestly. I just have my views like you. Thank you for wishing me well, and I wish you the same.

24. diane says

Jill, you deal in absolutes and it’s that that I find incredibly frustrating. It isn’t for you to dictate other women’s life choices, or to judge when they don’t adhere to your narrow notions of womanhood. We women come in many shapes and sizes; some have kids, others don’t. Some work, some don’t. Childlessness isn’t proof of selfishness anymore than staying at home is proof of self-indulgence. Your post frustrates me especially b/c I know women who live in the same place as you, where husband and children are the very limit of their desires. I do want more, and that doesn’t make me selfish. It makes me the sum of more than my reproductive parts. I do wish you well, but mostly I wish you enlightened enough to stifle the judgements. They’re tiresome.

25. Jill says

Diane- i have a high school diploma and a Medical Assisting license, and an X-ray Technician license. I just chose to be a stay-at-home mom because I find it more worthwhile. Just because you don’t want kids and you’re a cold hearted selfish person, don’t take it out on me. I have been both in the professional world, and at home. I’ve seen both sides. I think that that’s great if a woman wants to work. Sometimes they don’t have a choice- what makes me mad is when women can afford to stay home with their child but choose to put them in daycare from 6am- 7pm. That is not healthy. Children need their mom. Grow up- we all have our views. Insulting me makes you look childish.

26. traveler says

I’m a feminist in that I believe each and every woman should be given the opportunity to do whatever she wants with her life. If she wants to be a stay at home mom, fine. If she wants to be a doctor, fine. What I find irritating is when stay at home moms put down women who work outside the home and lash out at them saying that they don’t care about their families because they choose to have a career. To me, it sounds like jealousy. Maybe being a stay at home mom isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

27. Arianna's Mummy says

And what do you think working mums do when they get home? They also have to pay the bills, clean the house, Be the nurse if their child gets hurt, or if it is sick generally they take time off to care for the kid if at all possible. They stil have to be a psychologist and a psychic. Run after the kids after work after being at work all day (and not all have desk jobs, and physically work much harder then running after your kids could ever be) so exactly how do they not have just as hard if not harder job then a stay at home? Do you honestly believe that they just go home an relax?

I would love to be a stay at home mom, it just isn’t possible at this time for me, but I would never think it is a harder job then working as well.

28. N says

Sorry Jill…… I have a 2yr old and a full-time job and I agree with #20. If you are at home everyday all day…….you shouldn’t have to do thorough cleanings of your home everyday. You’re not going to be a “nurse” as u put it everyday, unless you have an accident prone child. You’re not paying bills everyday.
    The only thing you may be cleaning every day thoroughly is the kitchen. Stop exagerrating.

29. diane says

jill i appreciate mothering is tough. but let’s not dress it up as a thousand ‘real’ careers at once. that’s a disservice to those persons actually trained as nurses, psychologists and accounting. these people went to school, got degrees and have professionals designations. they do more than slap on a bandaid, peptalk a kid through heartbreak or decide how much to spend on groceries.
    you seem awfully defensive. again, i encourage you to get over yourself.

30. Jill says

#9- I take it you don’t have kids huh? As a mom, you have many different jobs, not just one- having a desk job. You’re a nurse, a maid, a psychologist, a psychic, ( for when your babies can’t tell you what’s wrong and you have to figure it out), accountant to keep track of the finances, an athlete, (with all of the running around you have to do), and many more jobs. Please don’t call me ignorant- you are the ignorant one. You have no idea what you’re talking about. How naive.

31. Sam says

For the past year I have been a stay at home wife without kids. My husband’s work has taken us overseas and as such I found it too difficult to find work (even though I’m college educated). For him he says he prefers it, our evenings and weekends are free for fun rather than chores and jobs and we don’t have the usual problem of conflicting schedules.
    In a way I chose this life and even welcomed it, I was fresh out of university, didn’t know what I wanted to do next and the idea of being the traditional “dinner on the table” wife was appealing and in some ways still is but it isn’t the “charity work and leisure” mentioned in the source, you work hard to make things perfect, feel bad when they aren’t and above everything else you’re on your own the majority of the time (I wouldn’t feel comfortable treating it as “leisure time” and spending all my time socializing that would frankly be shallow and lazy) and while I’m safe and provided for and I know if i did need anything it would be provided for me all that isn’t the same as the freedom and sense of self-worth of having your own money and your own life independent of your partners. We have one more year left abroad and no plans for children yet and when we return to an English speaking country I will be going back to work, the “comforts of family life” wear off pretty quickly!

32. M says

Being a working mum for some women is not a choice that they wish to make and would rather not make. I work part time and leave my daughters with grandmother, who I know cannot give the love and attention or have the same amount energy as me- which in turn makes me feel so guilty.
    For those women who say its ‘harder to be a stay at home mum’ and ‘it’s the hardest job in the world,’ try being a working mum and still be expected to provide a home cooked meal when your husband gets home, do the laundry, help the kids with the homework, have an immaculate house- when you’ve just finished work at six!

33. Amerie says

Im sorry but I have to work and make my own money.I couldnt be a stay home wife or mother.I cannot see myself depending on any man.I was not raised that way

34. Could it be says

Women should have the freedom to make a decision that is right for themselves and their families. As other women, whether we have made the same choice or not, we should respect each other. There’s nothing regressive about making a decision for one’s self.

Heather, you don’t have to leave your career if you don’t want to. You can give priority to your baby and family for a while so you won’t feel so stressed. Having a baby is a big lifestyle change. Staying at home temporarily would give you the peace of mind while you adjust. Also, you would not lose those precious developmental stages your baby will go through with or without your presence.

36. Meg says

One salary usually isn’t enough to sustain a household. That said, I think staying at home is a bit regressive for the status of women.

37. Jenn says

I agree – being a professional and a mom is definitely way tougher than being a stay at home wife/mom, not to mention emotionally draining. That said, I’m a firm believer that one parent or the other should stay home if it’s even remotely possible. My mom stayed home and my family was a lot poorer financially because of it, but the benefits for kids of a stay at home parents are immeasurable.

Even if there aren’t any kids involved, I’m all for one partner staying home when possible. You can still build up a side business if you really want the challenge and income, but it makes life so much easier for everyone when someone can keep the house. I’m sure the divorce rate would drop in a huge way if we went back to the one worker per household model (not that that’s possible for everyone in this day and age).

38. anon says

I have to agree with Heather – as a trained sociologist, I know that most of the data on the opt out trend is fiction or twisted. Stone argues that women are actually being pushed out of the workplace, not pulled out my desires to be at home. Then, they feel more like “agents” if they discuss their decisions as though they were actual choices rather than as being stuck between a rock and a hard place. But the findings that people aren’t as supportive of women working outside of the home doesn’t surprise me – most people have hostility to women no matter what they do, but especially if they begin to make progress in the work world

39. diane says

your blanket dismissal of ‘professionals’ as lightweights in comparison to stay-at-home moms is ignorant jill. get over yourself. we each of us have crosses to bear.

40. Jill says

Being a stay-at-home mom is the hardest job in the world. It is so mentally draining. I have never felt so challenged, but so blessed at the same time. I’ve never slept so good at night. For any “professional” who says that working outside the home is harder, I ‘ll laugh in their face.

41. Heather says

Had a chance to look up the media clip on this study myself, and it looks like it concurs with other research about women/mothers working outside the home-it’s hard to do because women still do the bulk of household work as well. I took a six-month maternity leave and life is much more stressful now that I’m back to work…it is really hard to manage everything. I have a husband who can comfortably support us but to me that misses the point that I would like to continue a career that I have made heavy investments into AND have the time to be a hands-on mother and wife. This is the so-called ‘double bind’ of working moms…for anyone else interested in this there is another great book called ‘The Second Shift’ that talks about the time constraints and household obligations of working women…

My husband and I decided that I should stay at home after our first boy was born. Now with three children it would not pay to go back to work. I would have to have a car, nice clothes, pay childcare, money for lunch and gasoline, plus car insurance, etc. We would be in a higher tax bracket and would be actually paying to work outside not to mention the stress and lack of energy to do fun things with the kids. It really does not pay to go work out of the home. Also, I don’t have to deal with office rivalries, gossip, traffic jams, and general unpleasantness of the workforce. I love being home and having the freedom to take care of my kids myself and taking better care of the house and of my husband. He is not complaining, either!

43. Heather says

I’m skeptical; I don’t dispute that more women are staying home, but I don’t think it’s a return to traditional gender roles by choice. Read ‘Opting Out?’ by Pamela Stone, a sociologist who studied this phenomenon of highly educated professional women returning home. She found that more often than not, women felt forced out of the workplace after become mothers because of a lack of support on all sides, and decided to stay home because work became ‘all or nothing’. As a highly educated new mom, I’d have to agree that this is more the case than professional women choosing to stay home and mother. And let’s face it, staying at home is hard work too!!! It’s not all ‘sewing and hobbies’…unless you have a nanny and go to the country club everyday.

44. Stephanie says

my husband stays at home with our son (he previously was a teacher), but we make ends meet. it helps a lot!