Maria Bello Can't Imagine Giving Birth In A Hospital

Maria Bello

(In the above pic a luminous Maria Bello was snapped at “The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor” premiere in LA on July 27th.)

On what was it like to play a mother on screen in “The Mummy”:

I’m a mother, and it’s second nature for me to play a mom. I love that they are in this complicated family dynamic, which is how it is for most people. I never like to see these easy, down-pat families on films, because that’s just not real life for most people.

On being a parent to son Jackson, 7:

It’s incredible. I remember the night he was born. It was 22 hours of labor and a thunderstorm with nothing more than an aspirin. I never felt so much love and fear at the same time. When he was little, I just wanted to keep him from every lesson he needed to learn.

I need to trust God to take care of him. If you have faith, it makes you relax. I think the greatest thing we need to teach our kids is to be our most authentic selves.

On giving birth in her own bed:

I had this notion that would be the way to do it. I had a midwife, and after 12 hours I said, “We’re going to stay here and stick it out.” Believe me, there were times where I wanted to say, “Get the ambulance — I’m done.” But then I thought, “I can do anything for 24 hours” and it was almost exactly 24 hours. I can’t imagine giving birth in a sterile environment like a hospital.

Maria, 41, lives on the west side of LA with her 7-year-old son, Jackson Blue.

Jackson Blue, whom she had with her ex-boyfriend, screenwriter Dan McDermott, is named for her college mentor (Augustinian priest and professor Ray Jackson, who passed away 11 years ago) and, simply, for the color blue. “Twenty years ago, my friend, who is a Celtic healer, said, ‘I feel this blue energy around you,’ ” explained Maria. “So when I was pregnant, we thought, ‘blue.’ ”

Maria shared that Jackson goes to basketball camp and Maria and Jackson have been taking surfing lessons together. But “his real bug is basketball,” she said. “My child is obsessed. One of his first words, after ‘Mama,’ ‘Dada’ and ‘dog,’ was ‘basketball.’ ”

Maria is close friends with Carrie-Anne Moss, 40, whom she met in a hotel lobby in Toronto 12 years ago. “I walked in and she goes, ‘I love you!’ And I go, ‘I love you, too!’ ” We went up to her hotel room and made French onion dip in a wine glass and had chips and salsa and talked all night.” The actresses—who Maria said “never talk about the business”—are godparents to each other’s children. (Carrie has two sons.) “She is so compassionate,” said Maria. “She is my parenting mentor.”

Source & Source

Comments

1. Just me says

Nothing against anyone else, but I’d rather be in the hospital, just in case. And give me the drugs, too.

I went to a “normal hospital” to have my son but it had a few nice pictures on the wall and a foldout bed for my husband. It wasn’t Club Med but nice.

2. bj's mom says

could it be….definately was easier for me the second time around. things moved much quicker and things went very smoothly.

3. Could it be says

I agree with all those who defended home births. I had my daughter naturally in a hospital the first time around but this time I’m doing it at home. Since I’m low-risk and it’s more comfortable in my home, why not? I hear that second births are generally easier too. Any one out there with more than one child to confirm this?!??! 🙂

4. telemetry says

Homebirths are not ‘very risky’! It depends entirely on many different factors, but they are more and more common here in the UK and people have them, live and enjoy the experience.

As an American immigrant to the UK, I’m very glad I never had to go through the US birth experience.

I have two healthy daughters born here in Britain.

5. USMC Wife says

I wish I could’ve had my two children at home, or at least in a birthing center without all the risky interventions. Have any of you seen “The Business of Being Born”? It’s a documentary about the American hospital industry. Truly eye-opening. I’m pregnant with my third, and when I told the doctor I want to attempt a VBAC, she rolled her eyes. Nice.

6. what? says

Homebirths are not “very risky”. There are rarely any complications in normal pregnancies. In fact, in a normal pregnancy there are less complications at home than in a hospital where doctors love to cause a cascade of unnecessary interventions that are riskier and can create more problems than they attempt to solve or prevent.

7. what? says

Hospitals are SOOOO not sterile! That was a bad choice of words, but maybe she meant it in a different sense and not germ-wise. That I would agree with!

8. Wendy says

Most hospitals have very homey maternity wards now, and it’s very risky to have a baby at home.

9. Granny says

In my day it was usually delivery drug free. I did it three times without drugs. I told my daughter when pregnant take all they offer!!! I would have.

10. chloe says

I am glad that she had the spirits, and the will, and the power, and more spirts, and more will and her own bed, and more will, but for me I want: a hospital, a GIANT dose of pain medication, a pan to knock myself out, and a boxing glove to knockout the man who knocked me up.

11. Katemommyof2 says

I commend her for the 22 hours without drugs, but i gave birth in the “sterile” environment of a hospital and had an epi and i still consider myself a real woman. I did it with both of my boys. Any woman who has had a child with or without drugs, in or outside of a hospital is awesome. Bringing a life into this world is huge.