Richard Branson Makes His Daughter An Offer She Can't Refuse

Richard Branson

Richard Branson’s daughter Holly has announced that she’s giving up her job as a junior doctor to work in the family firm, Virgin. Holly, 26, who qualified last year after five years of study at University College London, will begin learning the ropes at her father’s multinational during an apprenticeship which covers all areas of the business.

“I’m leaving medicine next Tuesday to start working with my dad,” Holly told a Daily Mail columnist. “He’s just offered me such an exciting opportunity I couldn’t turn it down.”

When, as a teenager, Holly announced her desire to become a doctor, her father supported her decision. However, Richard has always wanted his daughter and her brother Sam to be involved in Virgin. And her decision is thought to be backed by her mother, Joan.

Holly will be able to use her medical knowledge during one of her first tasks in her new role – helping advise on the entrepreneur’s bid to run the GP polyclinics planned as part of the reformation of the National Health Service.

While she may be taking time out as a GP for the moment, Holly isn’t ruling out a return to her chosen vocation altogether. “I trained very hard to get into medicine, so I won’t say I’ll never go back to it,” she insisted. “But I want to give this new project my all so I’m deferring my medical training for a year.”

She revealed her career change at the Cartier International polo tournament at the Guards Polo Club in Windsor on July 27th.

Comments

1. violetsky says

Polyclinics, will be the death of the NHS!
    The NHS which spent thousands training her, (because daddy’s money will pf only paid for some of it!) How can she stab the NHS in the back like this.

2. Marie says

She is certainly old enough to live a life SHE chooses.

Her father bought my son’s business in Mass. because that’s what he does with his life and wouldn’t it be great if she could run one of her dad’s businessses while he takes care of other things. Her medical training will never go to waste. This is an opportunity for her to get more

kknowledge of a different kind and once she does,she can decide to do whatever she wants. What a great

country!!!

3. Analise says

That’s some real “baby” news, WM. On the other hand how this is “a shame” is beyond me. She’s capable of making her own decisions.

4. Jess says

she’s deferring for a year and all of sudden she’s “taking the safe route”?

She’s going to work for her father’s buisness, it just happens that her fathers buisness is Virgin which makes alot of money. If anyone else decided to work in their family buisness..it wouldn’t be an issue…

I don’t think anyone trains as a doctor as a “novelty”

She is beautiful and smart, I don’t think it is all about the money so much as all about the family business and helping her father, I admire her very much and wish her the best of luck.

6. Nic says

I agree! What a waste of time, effort and money. Seems like she trained as a doctor as a novelty an that soon wore off. I think her father doesnt hgelp the matter by offering her a position she couldnt refuse. If my daughter was a doctor I woulod be proud and not try and head hunt her for my own gains. very sad

7. Just me says

I know this is going to come off sounding rude but … I’m kind of disappointed that she is dropping her medical dreams to kind of take the easy and safe route.