Judge Orders Girl Named 'Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii' Renamed

Bizarre Names

A family court judge in New Zealand has had enough with parents giving their children bizarre names, and did something about it. He ordered a girl named Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii to be renamed.

Judge Rob Murfitt made the 9-year-old girl a ward of the court so that her name could be changed, he said in a ruling made public Thursday. The girl was involved in a custody battle, he said.

The new name was not made public to protect the girl’s privacy.

“The court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgment which this child’s parents have shown in choosing this name,” he wrote. “It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily.”

The girl had been so embarrassed at the name that she had never told her closest friends what it was. She told people to call her “K” instead, the girl’s lawyer, Colleen MacLeod, told the court.

In his ruling, Judge Murfitt cited a list of the unfortunate names.

Registration officials blocked some names, including Fish and Chips, Yeah Detroit, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit, he said. But others were allowed, including Number 16 Bus Shelter “and tragically, Violence,” he said.

New Zealand law does not allow names that would cause offense to a reasonable person, among other conditions, said Brian Clarke, the registrar general of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Brian Clarke said officials usually talked to parents who proposed unusual names to convince them about the potential for embarrassment.

Comments

HI Jenna, who named their kid Fish and Chips? I would just love to know who was that ignorant! I am amazed at some of these names! These people have talent and are somewhat intelligent, I just don’t get it!!!! I feel so sorry for these kids and you know some of them will have their names changed and will go by nicknames until they are able too. Hope you are having a good day honey!

2. Nicki says

#2 they decided when the stupid parents were going through a custody battle.
    I will admit I did chuckle a bit when I read her name. But it is totally wrong.
    Like Jenna M.(UK) said look at the other names kids have been cursed with. And I agree with her, they shouldn’t have children in the first place.
    How sad for them for the rest of thier lives? Very sad for for them!

3. Jenna M. (UK) says

Ok, I’m not one to agree with the state interfering in peoples’ personal lives, and I like a lot of unusual names but most of the names mentioned above are just sick.

Anybody who’d name a kid Number 16 Bus Shelter, Sex Fruit, Fish and Chips, Violence etc shouldn’t be having kids in the first place.

I am glad for the child’s sake the name was changed, it is one of the dumbest names I have ever heard! These parents are idiots!

I don’t know what to think of this foolish business. On one hand, it is an intrusion on the parental rights to change a child’s name by force. On the other hand, what kind of idiotic, mindless parents name their child something that will surely cause her to be teased and tortured by her classmates and others during her lifetime. Where this people on drugs when they named their daughter? Do they think is funny to shame their child with such and outrageous, tasteless name? I believe the judged felt compassion for the little girl plight. If it was in my power, I would have done the same.

6. Julie says

Yes, some of these names are ridiculous and crude. But when did someone decide that they could claim a child as a ward of the state to change the child’s name???? Is there a law against naming your child whatever you want? This sets a bad prescident. Will the judicial system be able to now arbitrarily rename any child as it wishes? Sounds like trouble to me.

7. sharrie says

what a shame that those pathetic parents felt it necessary to hang that kind of a name on that poor child. They made sure she would be tormented in school.