Life-Like Baby Dolls Are Causing Panic

Dolls

Frantic police have smashed a window to rescue a seemingly unconscious baby from a locked vehicle, only to find it was a extremely life-like doll.

The embarrassing mistake made in Australia last week is not an isolated incident and passionate creator of the “reborn” baby dolls Vynette Cernik knows just how easily they can be mistaken for the real thing.

Ms. Cernik said last week’s case of mistaken identity mirrored a similar incident in the US when the window of a new Hummer was broken by police trying to rescue a “baby” that turned out to be a doll belonging to the owner’s wife.

Selling for up to $1000, the painstakingly hand-painted dolls were so lifelike with eyelashes, fingernails, milk spots and wispy hair that they were constantly fooling people, Ms. Cernik said.

“They’re even weighted to feel like a baby’s weight and they flop like a baby,” she said.

The dolls can even come with umbilical cords, cord clamps and their own birth certificates.

“They are so realistic, people do become attached to them,” Ms. Cernik said.

“You don’t stop playing with dolls because you grow old. You grow old because you stop playing with dolls.

“People do have to be careful when they go out with them. I tell them to hold them properly, not dangle them by one leg or something, because other people do think they are real babies and become alarmed.”

Ms. Cernik said she felt sorry for the police and the members of the public distressed by the situation and suggested owners should put warning cards on the dolls.

Australian Sen-Sgt Phil Edwards said last week’s incident had been frightening for both police and members of the public who genuinely believed a baby was dying.

“It was incredibly lifelike,” he said, agreeing that warning cards on the dolls might be a good idea.

He said when the car’s owners were eventually found they were “nonplussed and apologetic”.

Oh no!

Comments

these dolls are very realistic that a policeman have mistaken it for a real baby, these dolls should not be put inside the car alone because of its realistic appearance it will only cause panic to someone who will see this doll inside the car alone.

Reborning is the art of transforming a vinyl doll (either whole doll or kit) into a realistic looking baby doll (usually of a human baby- but sometimes elves or chimpanzees may be made). The person who makes this transformation is called a ‘reborner” or reborn artist. The more realistic looking the doll is the more successful the artist is considered. Once completed the doll is called a ‘reborn’, ‘reborn doll’, ‘reborn baby”or ‘fake baby’.

Over the past few months, reborn baby dolls have become more and more popular. However, most people do not even know what a reborn baby is. Reborn babies are doll replicas of a real baby. The doll is most likely made from vinyl and often times the creator of the doll will add items such as glass or beads to get the baby a realistic feel.

I wouldn’t call this a fad, but there is definitely something strong going on with collecting reborn baby dolls, and classic dolls like these in general. This is interesting, considering how these realistic dolls earned their name.

having a child is so hard if you are a working mom, especially when they get old without the attention of their family so im suggesting that take attention to your child before its too late.

6. Joann says

I’m 41, mildly learning and developmentally disabled, and unable to have real babies of my own. I’ve collected 3 realistically-looking, anatomically correct newborn baby girl dolls so far (none of which I have anymore because I’ve had issues with their skin tearing and their limbs not working right), and I’m going to try one last time to collect another anatomically correct girl (and hope that this time she will last me a year or longer and not have any problems). I’ve taken my second and third doll with me to my Christian Bible Study meeting twice (1 time for each doll), but I’ve never taken my dolls anywhere else. I’ve always left them at home, and I plan on doing the same with my 4th doll. I don’t have a problem with grown women like me who love babies but don’t want any real babies of their own playing with and nurturing a realistic-looking newborn baby doll. In my situation, since I can’t drive, hold down a job, or live on my own, and I don’t get out much or see my friends very often, a baby doll becomes a fun hobby that brings me joy and gives me something constructive to do. I’m not much of an animal or pet person, and I don’t want to nurture a real baby, so what’s wrong with having a doll to care for and cherish?

It a nice site collecting all information about eyebrow & Eyelash Cosmetic.
    Beauty is more important for every women so i m care about my eyes.

8. Bunny says

these babies can help a woman dealing with the loss of a child . i think it is so wonderful that GOD gives someone this gift to create one of these beatiful reborns .

9. Celeste says

This is just weird!!! And very discusting that you would have it sitting in a car like that, they do look so real so of course someone would panic seeing one in a vehicle. Why do you need something like that????

10. Emma says

“So why on earth are grown women carrying around fake babies?”

I saw a special a few months ago about women who were buying these dolls so they could pretend like they were their children, because they wanted the experience of being a mother but without all the fuss and hassle of a real baby. It was so disturbing. I believe there are clips of the special on youtube. If you search under reborn you should be able to find it.

11. Anon27 says

I can see a crazy woman faking a pregnancy and using one of those dolls to scam someone, perhaps an ex boyfriend.

12. onatear says

Many people are creating these, and they are available on eBay…I have 8. But, I wouldn’t take them out in public!!!!!

13. Sandra says

So why on earth are grown women carrying around fake babies? I used to collect dolls. I collected them to be set up in my home, not carry them around in public. That is the last thing I want is people thinking I have a mental disorder.

14. carmeluu... says

OMGGG!!!….. i want one of theese doolls!!… where buy one of these dolls???….. anyone know?… pleasee tell me!