Why Nicole Kidman Named Her Daughter Sunday Rose

Nicole Kidman

Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban chose a “really adorable and original” baby name for newborn daughter Sunday Rose, baby name expert Pam Satran, coauthor of Cool Names and The Baby Name Bible, shared with Us magazine.

“Sunday [is] a choice to rival Tom and Katie’s Suri and Brad and Angelina’s Shiloh,” Pam Satran said.

Nicole, 41, and husband Keith Urban, 40, welcomed their daughter – who weighed 6 pounds, 7 ounces – on Monday morning.

“Sunday is one of the next generation of word names,” explained Pam Satran. “But it also harkens back to the ancient tradition of day-naming as practiced by many African tribes and originally brought to America by the early slaves.”

Other famous day names? Actress Tuesday Weld, the character Wednesday Addams and Robinson Crusoe’s Friday.

“Some modern parents like Sunday because of its spiritual element, which connects to such other starbaby names as Angelina and Brad’s son Pax and pop names like Nevaeh,” Pam Satran added.

Sunday emulates Suri because both “unusual first names begin with Su and have two syllables,” said Pam Satran.

The name also represents Whitsundays, an island chain off the coast of Queensland, Australia – where Nicole and Keith celebrated Nicole’s 40th birthday – and it is a day of prayer in Nicole’s Catholic religion.

Pam Satran said Rose is the “starbaby middle name of the decade.”

The daughters of Michelle Pfeiffer, Teri Hatcher, Ewan McGregor and Eric Clapton all have Rose as their middle name. Sylvester Stallone, Pam Satran points out, has three daughters with the middle name Rose!

The couple’s decision to give Sunday Rose both of their last names “is a signal that this is a marriage of equals,” Pam Satran said.

UPDATE: Sunday Rose, who was born on July 7th in Nashville, is named after early 20th-century artist’s muse Sunday Reed. Her middle name, Rose, is in honor of Keith’s late grandmother Rose.

“I have read a bit about Sunday Reed and her husband John – she was a key mover and shaker in the arts around the beginning of the century,” Nicole’s father Antony told Australian newspaper The Daily Telegraph. “The name Sunday struck me as being a nice name for a woman, so my wife and I mentioned it.”

The paper reports that in January, Nicole and Keith visited an exhibition by artist Sidney Nolan, who had a longtime relationship with Reed who became his muse.

The exhibition featured a quote from Nolan that was scrawled across a wall: “When you are young you are given a good view of life, because of your closeness to birth.”

Comments

1. SUNDAE ROSE!!!! FRUM BELGRADE says

i absolutely love this name!!! its mine thank you very much high! im sundae rose!!

2. tam says

I think people need to mind their own business I love the name & I’m very happy for Keith & Nicole. I can’t wait to see a picture of her I know shes beautiful just like her parents best of luck & many congrats!!! enjoy EVERY minute w/ her she will grow very fast.

3. Gretel Laurynda says

I went to church with a girl named Sunday when I was a child (in the 80s). It was unique, but I always thought it was pretty. Sunday Rose is classie. Children and adults who make fun of a person, for whatever reason, are immature, ignorant, uneducated, bullies who will never succeed in life because they don’t know how to get along with people.

I’m happy for Nicole and Keith. It was refreshing to see a pic of her running at 5 months. Let’s face it, the lady is in shape–she could have 5 more if she wanted without any problems whatsoever.

Congratulations!!!

4. Sundai says

My name is Sundai, it’s pronounced the same as the day of the week. I was born on a Friday. My parents say they got it from a song back in the 70’s. I don’t care for it too much, but I have had many good comments about it. And yes I was teased as a child and I think I’ve heard them all. Now as I’m a little bit older I still don’t like it, but I’ve learned to live with it.

5. sandra segura says

I am so happy for both nicole and keith. I was so worried because of her miscarages. God bless and have a wonderful life.
    Sincerely, sandra segura

6. Jaye says

I think with all the unique names that people are naming their babies recently, Sunday will grow up with children with unique names as well. Hopefully those children will be a little more merciful and open to Sunday’s name then some of the adults that posted comments since the arrival of her birth.
    I’m sure with the love of her family and friends Sunday Rose really won’t give a second thought to what people think about her name.

7. Jaye says

Nicole’s father confirmed that he and his wife had suggested the name to Nicole and Keith. It was a muse, Sunday Reed, of a famous Australian artist Sidney Nolan. According to Keith’s brother, Rose was chosen to honor Keith’s grandmother. So this person that wrote it was to emulate Suri (Red Rose) is incorrect. I am happy that family clarified the origins of the names so we can stop reading crazy speculations!
    Anyway….Congrats to Nicole and Keith and many blessings to them and little Sunday Rose.

8. Katrina says

Congrats to the both of you cherish and remember every min of the first few years, get your video cam out . I bet she is a great looking baby. And don’t listen to all the S_ _ t that some people are saying. Just love every min of you baby girl.

9. sonia says

well done nic long time in the waiting, love the name, a beauitful wedding, cute hubby and now a beauitful little girl to finish off the package. good luck to you both and hope you both get that happy everafter.

10. Cheetah says

aah you know all the people with names like katie, dylan, michelle will be in a minoraty soon and then that will be weird names. In about 50 years the world will go crazy because you name you kid nick. 🙂

stop the insanity!! :?)

11. MiracleMileMom says

Compared to other celebritiy baby names…. I think this one is sweet, original but not weird.

I too hope that Nicole’s other children get to share in the joy of their new baby sister. Every time I see those kids with Tom, my heart breaks a little for Nicole. I can’t imagine what it must feel like to have to have basically given her children to her ex-husband in order to move on with her life. I hope that Tom will recognize that Sunday is just as much their sister as Suri is, and allow them to bond accordingly.

12. Lauren says

I like the name. I think it’s unique and no one really has that name. Congratulations! They must be over the moon now.

13. River Phoenix says

They called it Sunday? Sounds like Keith is back on the drugs again. Back to rehab we go!

14. 2teens says

I like the name Sunday Rose. It is pleasant & soothing sounding… I picture a little nature girl.

15. Peppers says

Another stupid name to join the others – Rumer, Scout, Ever, Harlow, Honor, Suri, Shiloh, Apple…..and the list goes on. These people are out of their minds. Don’t they realize these kids have to live with these names forever.

Pam Satran makes it sound like a competition with Suri. i would love to hear why they did name her that. i’m not sure if i like it or not. My hubby sure does though:)

shannon

17. Jennie says

I think that the name Sunday Rose Kidman Urban is a bit different from normal names, yes, but not unpleasent. It soounds nice when you say it . . . I like it. I think that when people try to analyze everything celebrities do, they just get out of hand sometimes. This is Nicole’s first child that she gave birth to. I am very happy for her for my mother can relate to her troubles trying to have children. I think we should just accept the child’s beautiful name and move on to wishing her the best in her early stages of life.

18. jenna says

Sunday Rose Urban? Three names that are words, ugh.

Sunday Urban is not a pretty name, sorry.

19. Ruby Jackson says

Why don’t we wait for the parents to explain why they named their child Sunday Rose?

It’s a pretty name, I think. However I really hope she doesn’t have to use both their last names in school or on a regular basis – it just doesn’t roll off the tongue easily. I bet she’s beautiful. I also agree that comparing this name to other stars’ children’s names (especially Nicole’s ex-husband’s) is pretty ridiculous. They liked the name, leave it at that!

21. Candy says

It’s a nice name i really like it ..it’s so original & Rose as a middle name is good choice it’s so classic …Congratulations & Best Wishes For Them

22. violetsky says

Ms Sugar Walls, Sundae is an ice cream, are you obssessed with Sugar!!! – It would be pathetic. A lot like all those people who name their kid Katie and spell it KT. People who do tha are mocked in the UK, more so because they can’t spell.

23. cheetah says

pff. whats going on with the whole name thing in hollywood.
    Poor kids if it marries angelinas madox, she will be named

Sunday Rose Jolie Pitt Kidman Urban!?

When do people learn its a day in a week, its a flower, please give them only 1 lastname!?!

as for the baby.. Welcome to the world its not your fault.

24. essie says

Why would that name “expert” compare Sunday’s name to Suri? It’s idiotic. They don’t compare in any way.

I like the name Sunday because I had a friend named Wednesday and another one called January. I always thought it would be fun to have a name that’s a day of the week!!!

25. avery says

Rose is a sweet name, and it is nice that they are honouring Keith’s grandmothers in her name.

26. ames says

Well, Rose is after Keith’s grandma who passed away recently, so there’s a reason for that.

I wasn’t crazy about Sunday, but it’s growing on me.

27. Just me says

I said this in the other post but Sunday is cute, although it reminds me of my aunt’s dog. And I’m getting a little sick of Rose. But I guess when you have something a little different for a first neam you should pair it with sometihg more traditional.

28. Amanda says

I am really happy for them both!! I am so happy she had a girl! I will have to get used to the name though lol