The New Strawberry Shortcake Unveiled!

Strawberry Shortcake

Strawberry Shortcake was having an identity crisis. The “it” doll and cartoon star of the 1980s was just not connecting with modern girls. Too candy-obsessed. Too ditzy. Too fond of wearing bloomers.

So American Greetings Properties, worked for a year on what it calls a “fruit-forward” makeover.

Strawberry Shortcake now prefers fresh fruit to gumdrops, appears to wear just a dab of lipstick (but no rouge), and spends her time chatting on a cellphone instead of brushing her calico cat, Custard. Her new look was unveiled Tuesday.

American Greetings is dusting off another of its lines, the Care Bears, which will return with a fresh look this fall with less belly fat and longer eyelashes.

Do you think the new Strawberry Shortcake is cuter?

You are in reality a just right webmaster. The web site loading velocity is amazing. It kind of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a magnificent task in this matter!

I am a fan of the “old style” Strawberry Shortcake Dolls but do approve of this new look for her. – It is much better than the last revamp. It has a somewhat classic look – the green and white striped tights are back and the Strawberry Hat is cute.
    My concern is they called her Fairy Size – so are the dolls going to be Polly Pocket Sized?? I hope not.

I think Hasbro is going in the right direction with this change – unlike the change that they did to My Little Ponies –Poor things!

3. Aleni says

Cute, but why do we have to sexy up all the dolls and toys??? I think this gives our kids the wrong message.
    But I guess is all about sales, not the kids….
    I love the “old” strawberry shortcake.

4. arolina hnderson says

why have tey changd strawberry shortcake ……….. they kept it more modern but what about those people who liked the strawwberry shortcake how ate choocolate and pent time with custard, now all this show will teach children is thatlooks matter

which is sad

5. Laura says

Bottom line it was a business decision made to increase revenue. I was a fan in the 80’s but I can’t expect my daughter to identify with that look. Then they lost me when they changed her to the blue jeans and stripe top. In my opinion she didn’t look feminine at all. I love the new look, it was time for a change. She looks very pretty and their sales are going to increase. Too bad the new look won’t be out in the stores in time for my daughter’s birthday.

6. Alice says

why is this on a baby website?? oh this isn’t an accurate news report. strawberry shortcake hasn’t look like she did in the 80’s since the 80’s. she’s very popular. why don’t any of you know this?

7. Mabriana says

We don’t like it either. We didn’t grow up on it, but now we think it just looks stupid. Little girls don’t need to worry about what they eat, how long their hair is, or how they look on their cell phones. Companies don’t need to change originals, they were beautiful and great looking before, now their just antiques.

8. Mommy 2 a Mixed Boy + 1 says

I dont like it. I like the old one better. I hate how everything has to be soooooo modernized these days and they look weird. I loved cartoons growing up because they were cute and fun to watch. Now cartoons dont even LOOK like cartoons, KWIM??

9. Analise says

Umm… how is this news? Strawberry and friends have gone through many changes through the years. Including within the past SIX months. Just look at her from the first 2 seasons of the current show to the new 3rd season. I grew up with SS and loved her, but the newest and most successful since the 80’s is adorable and well, MODERN. This newest version is just another makeover. See Big Country fun released in March. BIG change in appearance from the Let’s Dance DVD released last fall, but still charming. I’ll reserve judgment until the new episodes featuring the new look are released. If my daughter likes it and the message is still good, no problem. Don’t know what rock some of you live under, but this is news to true SS fans, but not earth shattering. Oh yeah, Holly Hobby also had a revamp awhile back along with the Care Bears.

10. NG says

Didn’t they make a new strawberry shortcake 5 years ago….You know the one that sang “Jump and clap and turn around…Make a big strawberry sound”. She was wearing jeans and a sweater

11. Stephanie says

I don’t like that she spends all her time chatting on her cell phone. Children should only use those in emergencies and it isn’t a good example.

12. Mara says

Agree with # 2, didn’t know they altered the cookie monster.
    What did they do to the cookie monster?

13. Tracy LeAnn says

Ya know this is really sickening for me to see! I loved Strawberry Shortcake as a little girl and her crew were fun to watch & play with. She was designed for litltlegirls between the ages of 3yrs-11yrs old. It’s really sad to think that little girls are going to be seeing this “new version” that is more grown up then she should be. I remember growing up & idolizing strawberry, rainbow brite, & loved the carebears. Its very upsetting to know that american greetings is doing this sort of thing to improve their image! When did it become more important for little girls to worry about high end fashion,monitoring their food & when did it become as”must” for teddy bears to lose their cuddliness & to have long eyelashes?? If this is what companies like american greetings are “about” now, then I think I’ll just stick to Hallmark where values are more important then the the latest fads!

14. KayG says

Strawberry Shortcake is a classic icon. It should not be changed, just like Barbie shouldn’t have been changed from the original.

15. Mary says

I don’t care for it.

That is NOT Strawberry Shortcake. At least they didn’t make her into one of those god-awful BRATZ dolls.

I am surprised that they went with the high-waisted pants though. I would have thought she would be wearing low riders with her thong showing.

16. Just me says

Yeah, the new version is pretty but it’s not Strawberry Shortcake!! I agree with No. 2 Lurker … Cartoons are supposed to be just that, cutesy little characters, not, I guess, more grown up. I’m not trying to be a prude, I guess I’m just old school!
    BTW, the first Strawberry Shortcake is the original that came out in the 80s. I think there was an update after that.
    I also heard they’re making a Smurf movie …. I’ll be curious to see how they look now.

17. amyyeager2 says

she definitely look more grownup and modern… i have a hat with the old one on it from when i was 3 and i noticed my daughters new strawberry 2shortcake stuff looks different… im VERY annoyed about them changing the carebears.

18. Freya says

Bah. Didn’t they revamp her a couple of years ago? My daughter has some SS things now and they don’t look like the old and beloved one I grew up with, but she doesn’t resemble this new revealed one either. I was upset when they redid He-Man a few years ago and I saw a computer graphic Care Bears show and it just made me so sad.

19. annie says

I think they’re both cute. There’s a lot more important things in this world to worry about than Strawberry Shortcake, though.

20. Danica says

The old strawberry shortcake is like a cute innocent little girl. The new one looks like a preteen celebrity obsessed barbie-ized wannabe supermodel.

21. Anon says

Wow, as a someone who comes from the original SS generation, does this mean I need a makeover too?? I cherished my SS things and I don’t particularly care for the new look. I’m afraid to see what the new Care Bears will look like. They’ll probably get rid of Grumpy because he’s un-PC…..

22. Katrina says

I come from the original generation of Strawberry Shortcake; I still have a tiny little rubberized (not sure) figurine of her that still smells like strawberrries. I also had the Purple Pie Man and man he still smells like cinnamon. The new character is alright, but why wouldn’t they use the same character that’s on kids tv on saturdays?

23. Sandra says

I am sorry but that is NOT Strawberry Shortcake. A character shouldn’t change it doesn’t make her Strawberry anymore! So disappointing!

I prefer the old strawberry shortcake…I used to love watching this when I was a youngster and to me the new one is just another cookie cutter cartoon character to add to the bunches of other cookie cutter cartoon characters. The old version had uniqueness…now everything just looks the same with different titles (Anyone seeing a Bratz Doll dressed in a strawberry design?). Booo to American Greetings for this. Snoopy still has the same lines and everyone enjoys Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin Patch!! Why do we insist on messing up a good thing :-/

25. Lurker says

Well, I for one don’t like this ‘new version’ of Strawberry Shortcake at all.

But, I’m someone who didn’t like it when they changed the Care Bears either.

I also think it’s sad that we have come to a place where even our cartoon characters are worried about their size.
    I grew up with these characters, and not only did it not hurt me, but when the characters were introduced into my household (the old versions), it hasn’t hurt my kids either.

By all means, encourage healthy habits in kids..but why alter CHARACTERS like STRAWBERRY Shortcake, the Care Bears, and Cookie Monster?
    I’m just glad my kids are, for the most part, past the stage of all these CARTOON characters.