Mark Wahlberg Reveals That He Is Expecting A Son

Mark Wahlberg

Mark Wahlberg and model Rhea Durham have been together for years – and are proud parents to daughter Ella, 4, and son Michael, 2.

Now, as the couple expects baby number three, are they finally ready to walk down the aisle?

They haven’t announced an engagement, but Mark did call Rhea his “future wife” at the New York premiere of his new film, The Happening.

“I did my own thing for some 30-odd years,” he told People magazine at the Tuesday night event. “I had a blast, and now I feel like I have a real purpose.”

The actor dropped the “wife” word when discussing his 37th birthday on June 5th. “I had a beautiful day with my kids and my future wife,” he said. “We went to brunch.”

As for the impending arrival, Mark revealed that they’re having a son, and that Rhea, 29, is due in September. “We’re thrilled!”

Though their 4-year-old daughter Ella as not as thrilled initially.

“My daughter was extremely disappointed when she found out that we were having a boy — she wanted a little sister,” Mark told Us magazine at the NYC premiere of The Happening Tuesday.

“She already had all these plans of dressing a little sister up in clothes,” he said. “But I told her, ‘Honey, that means you’ll be more spoiled than the boys.’ She goes, ‘Oh, daddy, I didn’t think of that!'”

“I’m moving the office out of the house [to] prepare his room,” Mark told Us magazine.

On his children: “For the most part, my kids are darlings,” he said. “But at 5 a.m., it can be a little crazy.”

His Happening costars certainly have no doubts about his parenting prowess.

“He’s great with kids,” said Zooey Deschanel, who plays his wife in the film. “Really, really good.”

In fact, that’s what made him perfect for the role (as a science teacher trying to survive a mysterious phenomenon). “When I see Mark Wahlberg, I see the sweet guy who likes to hold the baby,” said director M. Night Shyamalan. “He brings humanity and vulnerability to the screen. In a crisis … that’s the guy you want with you.”

Mark added that he is now trying to do more family friendly films, including his latest, M. Night Shyamalan’s The Happening.

“This is a movie that my nieces and nephews can watch,” he said. “I’ve done things that I’m not proud of, and that I’m going to have to explain,” he added.

(Ok…I’ve seen the previews on tv for Mark’s new movie and if that is his idea of a movie that he can be proud of and that is appropriate for his nieces and nephews he’s nuts! It looks like a disgusting horror flick. Maybe his nieces and nephews are over 18 years old?)

1. Maren says

hmmm. On the site “In Case You Didn’t Know” they are stating that they are expecting a girl. So who is right?? Only time will tell.

2. KayG says

His wife is so lucky….he’s the most gorgeous man on the planet! (Um…besides my hubby that is! LOL!)

3. Liza says

I believe that most of his nieces and nephews are old enough to see this movie.

And remember that a trailer portrays a film in such a way to draw in viewers. M. Night Shymalan has never made a horror film, his films are thrillers with underlying messages that require the viewers to really think. And he doesn’t really do gore. But I”m not surprised that the WM would judge it without knowing anything about it.

4. Amanda says

I love seeing pics of this family. Thier children are adorable! I had heard he wasnt very nice in person but everything I see him he is smiling.

I’m going to assume his nieces and nephews are at least teenagers…it could be a family film if you have older children…from the previews it just looks like a suspense not actually gore and guts.

I haven’t heard anything about his new movie, so I cannot comment on whether it’s family friendly or not, but I do love how he handles parenting, the way he consoled his daughter about the disappointment that there won’t be a little baby girl to dress up. So sweet, he has a way to make the kids feel good about themselves it seems. And if its true that he wants lots more children, there will probably be a little sister on the way sometime. It’s great to hear of celebs with family values!

If you have a second to spare, I’d like to invite you to my new blog about stylish design for kids :):) Thanks for stopping by :):)

7. Just me says

Webmistress … I agree with you. I just saw the previews last night, so I was kind of surprised to read that it’s a “family film.”
    It looked like a thriller to me.
    Anyway, congrats! He seems really happy and a great dad.