Giada De Laurentiis Shares Baby's First Smile

Giada De Laurentiis

Celebrity chef and new mom Giada De Laurentiis is learning all about the joys of motherhood.

“She smiled for first time yesterday!” she gushed to People magazine Sunday at The Second Annual Kidstock Music and Arts Festival in Beverly Hills. “It sounds so corny – and I remember my friends telling me and me being like, ‘Yeah, yeah, yeah,’ but it’s so special. Especially when you’re sleep deprived and all you do is change poopy diapers, it’s so great to get something in return.”

So special, in fact, she warned her husband Todd Thompson, 44, not to take his eyes off their daughter, Jade Marie De Laurentiis Thompson, who was born on March 29th. “I was telling my husband before I left, you have to make sure to watch her all day, because she will give you the biggest smile when you least expect it.”

The Food Network star and Today show contributor also revealed that the family’s latest addition is already inspiring her to try her hand at making gourmet baby food.

“People have been asking me for years to come up with kids’ recipes and doing all that because I have a lot of kids that watch the show. And I’m thinking, ‘I’m not a mom, not my thing, leave that to the moms.’ And now, I’m so into it!”

But the one person who may not be as into it? Her husband: “He’s like, ‘No more puréed food, thank you very much!'” explained Giada. “Because I try all the recipes out on him first, so then we’ll see if Jade likes them.”

Regardless, her next cookbook, due out in September, includes a baby/toddler section.

Comments

1. Analise says

Love her and can’t wait for the new cookbook. Jade is a cutie for sure.

*eyeroll* to the reflex people here.

2. 2teens says

Jx2, I’ll have to go back and look at the older threads. I was off babyrazzi for a while but summer gives me more free time.
    Hey, good plan for the child rearing since your hubby is a gusher 🙂

3. Jx2 says

LOL – hi 2teens – I responded to you a couple of times in previous threads but I’m not sure you saw them. One comment I made is on a May 15 post & the other on a May 30 post both threads are on Angelina Jolie.

You know, generally speaking people tend to think that if a woman does not take an immediate liking to a newborn then there must be something wrong with her. Normally, it’s the man who does not care for newborns. The funny thing is that my husband gushes more with newborns than I do. So I told him that for the first year or so he can take care of the (potential) baby and then I’ll take over after 18 months or so…LOL!

4. 2teens says

Hi Jx2, I have also known people who did not show an interest until the baby was older (my darling husband among them), so I am sure it is a common sentiment.

5. Amanda says

JX2 I have friends who feel the same way you do and they are wonderful parents. So dont feel like the odd one out.

6. Jx2 says

Dori – I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and say perhaps you are right but I’m not one of those people that oooh’s and aaah’s over newborn babies. I really can’t understand what all the hype is about over a newborn. They do nothing for me. I feel nothing when I see them. Don’t get me wrong I really enjoy being with toddlers and children. I have three nieces between the ages of 2 and 8, and I try to spend as much time with them as I can but I only begin showing an interest in kids after around 18 months. Prior to that age, I find them a bore.

7. Amanda says

May not be genuine but at 3AM you will take what you can get lol I love that Kx 3 mom pointed that out though most moms don’t know it.

8. Jx2 says

Finally someone speaks the truth! “Early smiles are just reflexes”…!! I have been saying that all along to new parents . Why are parents so reluctant to believe that when a baby “smiles” it isn’t really a genuine smile!!

9. LAURIE HARRIS says

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO SEE PIX OF JADE!!! IT WOULD BE SPECIAL TO SEE HER WITH HER HANDSOME FATHER TODD… A FASHION DESIGNER FOR
    ANTHROPOGY LINE…

Early smiles are just reflexes, but it feels great as a mother to be on the receiving end of those, anyway! When the baby focuses on you, engages you with her eyes and expressions, and REALLY smiles, then that’s absolutely precious! Not saying that she doesn’t experience this with Jade already…just saying. 😉