Melissa Joan Hart & Potty Training Awareness Month!

Melissa Joan Hart

Get ready! Sunday (June 1st) marks the beginning of Potty Training Awareness Month! In hnoor of this special month Melissa Joan Hart has teamed up with Pull-Ups training pants to keep an online diary of her experiences potty training her eldest son Mason, 2.

“I’ve been watching DVDs … and meeting with experts and trying to figure out the potty training, but it really is different for every single kid,” Melissa told People magazine at The Playroom’s First Anniversary benefiting the organization Friends of the Family on Wednesday in L.A. “You have to take what works for you and leave the rest behind.”

“When Mason first showed signs that he was ready to use the potty, my husband and I were really excited and – more than anything – proud,” Melissa, who’s married to musician Mark Wilkerson, said in a statement. “Potty training is one of the first times I’ll be able to act as a teacher to my son, and that adds a little pressure.”

Also adding pressure, she revealed to People magazine, is Mason’s need for post-potty celebration. “Normally if you do a high five with a kid, that should be enough of ‘hey, you went on the potty! High five!’ but Mason likes lots of celebration, it has to be all about him, so that’s his thing,” she said. “What works as a reward? Sticker, stamps, candy … We use Hot Wheels cars, but Hot Wheels only worked for a week and then we had to go back to candy and now we’re at stickers.”

The 32-year-old actress – who gave birth to Braydon Hart Wilkerson in March – also talked about the joys of having two boys. “Mason has been great – every time he sees the baby he’s always like, ‘Baby’s so cute,’ and has all these sweet things to say. He always wants to hold him and feed him.”

Note: Oriental Trading catalog also works well for potty-training rewarding! My son would browse through the catalog and get to pick something out for reaching potty milestones. It was very motivational for him.

Also, while supplies last, you can get a free Potty Training Success DVD by Huggies Pull-Ups here!

1. justventing says

PHEW!! i am SO glad we have MJH here to tell us “it really is different for every single kid” she should wriote a book called “Stuff You Already Know” ….yuk!

The baby in the stroller is cute though!

I completely agree, pottytraining awareness is completely senseless even as a term. Raising awareness only makes sense in relation to things that are otherwise neglected or forgotten, like raise awareness for a good cause, to donate money or buy eco-friendly, things in that category. But potty training is necessary as eating or sleeping, it is simply something that every human being needs to learn, and we don’t have campaigns to raise awareness for breathing or sleeping, do we?

Oh, and by the way, if you have a second to spare, please visit my new blog about stylish design for kids and feel free to give me some feedback. I’d really appreciate it :):)

3. bj's mom says

Liza….thank you. she has gone on every single post whether i commented or not just to diss me….she has serious issues.

4. Liza says

Dori, Obviously you have some problem with BJ’s mom, whether she comments or not. My suggestion would be to respond to the substance of her posts if you disagree with something, but by spending so much energy attacking her in threads she hasn’t even posted in, you appear both childish and obsessed.

No one will be interested in what you have to say if they see you as only a trouble maker.

5. 2teens says

My son was trained in one day at age 2 because he REALLLY wanted to wear his new power ranger undies. (1993)
    My daughter took much longer, she wasn’t interested in fashion at that age, hee-hee.
    I do think PTAM is a tad silly though.

6. sara says

potty training a 2 yr old boy can be such a pain! We waited until ours were 3 and it took 1 day. Who needs videos & rewards, when they’re ready they’re ready.

7. phnxgirl says

I don’t think Melissa looks very good these days. Her hair always looks drab and greasy. Her husband is hot though.

8. Liza says

I’m glad to see that other people find the idea of potty training awareness as ridiculous as I do.

While I don’t fully agree with Tempany, I do see your point and agree to a certain point. I don’t think she purposely exploits her children, but I do think they are the only thing keeping her famous.

9. Dnice says

You can’t be serious. Potty Training doesn’t need awareness. It is something that has to be taught whether the kid likes it or not. What a bunch of rubbish.

10. Tempany says

i cant help feeling that melissa exploits her children to make money and keep herself ‘famous’. when was her last real work? usually no harm in this, but documenting mason’s potty training as she is planning to do is exploiting something very personal that the whole world doesnt need to know about. how embarrassing for her poor little boy who she is robbing of his dignity!!!!! oh well, as long as they’re happy. sure she is a great mom despite this! just my opinion.

11. Vic says

PTAM…WTF!!! Only in America!!!
    ….and that’s a joke before anyone starts completely slating me 😉

12. sharrie says

POTTY TRAINING AWARENESS MONTH??? What a load of BS. Why can’t these entertainers come up witha REAL and worthwhile cause. Gees…