Gwyneth Paltrow Interview About Her Post-Partum Depression

Gwyneth Paltrow

Like many moms, Gwyneth Paltrow says she suffered from post-partum depression following childbirth. In a new interview, she opened up to ET’s Cojo about what it felt like and how she got through it.

“It was a very difficult time,” she shared. “I just did not know what was wrong with me. I felt very detached, I felt like I was a shell of myself. I just felt like I was going through the motions of the things in my life. It was a very weird three to six months. I didn’t know what was wrong with me until I started to come out of it, and my mom said to me, ‘You don’t seem right. What’s going on?’ And I was defensive because I didn’t know what was wrong with me.”

The mom of two, Apple, 3, and Moses, 2, says she didn’t take medication because, “By the time I realized I needed medication I was already coming out of it.” She said, “I really feel for any woman who’s had it or going through it, because it’s not easy.”

Next, Gwyneth can be seen playing Pepper Potts in the new ‘Iron Man’ movie, starring Robert Downey Jr. as the Marvel superhero. “It’s time to just have some fun!” she says of the film, in theaters May 2nd.

(My husband and son are psyched to go see this movie together..it definitely looks like a fun summer flick for the guys!)

Comments

1. Amanda says

Analise I feel the exact same way. Not sure what it is about her that makes me feel that way. She seems so fake, kinda like all she does is go through the motions.

2. Liza says

I think the reason she and so many celebrities and therefore the media talk about it, is to bring it out in the open.

For years, women have suffered in silence with PPD, being told that they just “had the baby blues” or were ungrateful, when in fact they were really going through PPD. It has long been a condition surrounded in shame and embarassment, so the more people in the public eye talk about it, the less that stigma is attached to it, and therefore the more women will be able to get help. It’s not about exploitation.

3. anime says

I think her point in coming out about it is to show that she’s just like other moms who have gone thru it and not some perfect person who is a size 2 right after having a baby and that everything is blissful. She’s just being honest unlike a lot of other celebs I suspect. Good for her for talking about it. I think a lot of people, me included, have gone thru exactly what she did and don’t realize it until after the fact.

Is Post Partum Depression supposed to be acknowledged because these celebrities say they have suffered through it. I don’t mean to be rude, but this is something that women go through and have been going through since forever. I feel as though the media exploits way too many things in the honor of a “good” story, this isn’t news.

5. Sandra says

Laurie It says in the article that he is two.

I think the last comment about the husband and son going to see the flick might be the Web mistress speaking of her family. I don’t know many 2 year olds that could make it through a 2 hour movie.

6. LAURIE HARRIS says

HOW OLD IS MOSES…ISN’T HE A LITTLE YOUNG TO SEE A VIOLENT MOVIE?

IT WOULD BE GREAT TO GET A PHOTO OF CHRIS MARTIN AND MOSES TOGETHER…