Mariah Carey Doesn't Want Children Because She Would Feel Violated

Mariah Carey

(In the above pic Mariah was snapped arriving in the UK earlier this month to promote her new album, with a 15-strong entourage with her, including bodyguards, stylists, hairdressers, publicists and managers)

In a somewhat odd explanation of her having no desire to have children in the foreseeable future, Mariah has claimed that having children would leave her feeling ‘violated’.

“It’s hard to have kids in this world,” she told OK! magazine. “I don’t think I could properly educate a child right now. Maybe in the future, but I actually haven’t thought about it.

“For now, I enjoy my dog Jack’s company. It’s definitely because of childhood traumatic stuff. The whole not wanting to have a baby as a baby.

“I never wanted to feel violated and I know that’s a kind of weird thing to say, but that’s how I am.”

Hmmm….

Comments

1. Michaela says

i think Mariah would make a great parent her and Nick. I used to never want children but now i do maybe Mariah will be the same

good luck Mariah
    xox

2. Rachel says

3. Rachel says

Hi, Mariah am like one of your biggest fan’s in like the entire world just wanted to say that this picture is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

4. Mihz. Diamond Princess says

What in the heck is she talking about being violated about. is it the fact that she married nick cannon which is younger than her cuz im confused.

am glad mariah admits shes not ready to have a baby but i do think she might have a baby in the future go mariah hope your happy with Nick cannon and dont let him rule your life like tommy mind you he is better than him and plus hes young

6. Leigh says

Now that I’m reading the People Magazne article about wanting children, I am doubting she said such a thing about being “violated.” This wouldn’t be the first time she was misquoted. Whatever is true, I just hope if she changed her mind about having kids that when she does have them, she’ll be an awesome mom and not bring her past baggage into motherhood. My mom had childhood issues but spared me from them by being Supermom in every way imaginable. God bless her and Nick!

7. Christina says

The only reason she doesn’t want kids is because she’s too busy being a coke head and a party animal! Is it wrong to not want kids? No, but when you use your childhood as an excuse for this “violation”, then it’s hard to believe any other defense for all the accusations that come by her these days. If you ask me she’s gone shallow and has lost her mind. Everyone has had a point in their life that has been traumatic, but if you stop that from living your life then you won’t ever truly be happy. Sad. It really is! Having children is a gift, not a curse and if that’s how she feels about the concept of parenting then maybe it is better for her to never have them because she’ll just abuse them emotionally.
    Hopefully this marriage she’s gone through IS real and she’ll come to her senses.

8. Leigh says

I am a huge fan of MC, but you cannot deny her oddness. Even she acknowledges that she’s a little off. It’s great that people who truly believe they wouldn’t make a great parent choose not to conceive/adopt. It’s the most unselfish thing to do when you’re not ready. BUT… using the term “violated” is very weird and anyone who says different is full of it.

9. Elizabeth says

Good for her, I think it’s awful that women are made to feel they are not complete without children. People should use a little common sense and stop having so many children, how is the planet going to feed them?

10. dori says

JX2 you are right. If Mairah doesn’t want kids thats her business. Thoe who bash her are jealous. She is beautiful and a great singer with a range like no other in the business. She has bad taste in clothes and dresses too trashy but , with a voice like that and the money she makes I think she can do whatever she wants.
    She is a good person and generous. Those of you trashing her obviously haven’t followed her all thses years because you’re talking out of your a**.

11. Jx2 says

Why are people still c*riticizing women based on the way they dress by calling them a “sl*ut.” Are there two kinds of women in this world? The Earth mother who wants to have children and the sl*ut who does not want to have children and also happens to wear a mini skirt and display her clea*vage? Christina Aguilera does the exact same things but I guess she can’t be labeled a sl*ut because she has a baby and is mar*ried??? Come on!! Just because a woman wears a mini skirt does not make her a “sl*ut.” I guess those people that believe and think this way also think that a woman was asked to be ra*ped because she was walking alone at night or because of the way she was dressed…ridiculous!!!

12. DeeDee says

Huh?? I don’t have a clue what she is talking about, she probably doesn’t even know what she is talking about.

13. nosoupforyou says

She is not ready to “educate” a child? Having a child involves much more than education.

I’m glad she’s aware that she is not ready to have a child.

Her comments are very strange. She is one odd duck.

14. fee says

Maybe the statement came out strange, but kudos to her. At least she figured out she doesn’t want children before she had them. There is nothing wrong with not wanting children.

15. Robin says

I 100% agree with the post above re: disliking kids except for her own…I can only relate to my 4 year old daughter because she is a mini-me, other kids make me very uncomfortable…
    Bravo Mariah, if you don’t want kids then DONT have them. She may be a bit wacky but she’s smart about this topic!

16. ife says

um “jess” i think she meant she didnt want to have a baby as a baby, when she was younger…duh

17. Iluvmy2girlz says

and dressing like a s-l-u-t doesn’t make her feel violated?? whatever!! i like her songs and voice though

18. anime says

She’s just an idiot that only cares about her fake boobs and being thin which doesn’t happen with her all that often. I am glad she is not having kids. Who wants more little phony Mariahs?

19. kim says

I dont care for mariah much but i do agree that t is good for her to be honest. as far as Jx2’s post…i wasnt thinking about it being an essay, i was thinking how very educated she really is. i certainly couldnt have come up with that.

20. Michelle says

ummm, far to many woman have children and they shouldn’t! It really bothers me to hear the opinions on here, almost all of us woman can procreate but can we all do our children justice, NOT!!! I have met many a mo0ther whom do not deserve the priviledge and yes it is! I applaud Mariah for noticing she cannot give a child what they need, as some should shut their mouths and their legs!

21. Jx2 says

Mariah’s choice of the word “violated” was used incorrectly. I don’t think that “violated” was the correct term to use. I think the word “intrusive” is better suited to explain her feelings about not wanting to have any children.

22. Mara says

Good thoughtful posts Jx2 and Kelli , thank you ladies.
    Women are socialized to have children. It’s OK to think about it. BTW I have children but it is not for everyone.
    Good to see women thinking for themselves on this issue.

23. Jx2 says

I guess if you won’t shut up then neither will I!! Don’t request something if you aren’t willing to reciprocate.
    Now you can see? What? What was wrong with you before? Did you have cataracts?

24. KBL says

I don’t think the issue is exactly with Mariah not wanting kids. It seems to be more about her “violated” comment. Personally, I don’t care if she has kids or not, that is her own choice to make. It’s probably best that she didn’t have kids; she is by far materialistic and self-absorbed. A child would only take away from her precious limelight.

25. Jenna M. (UK) says

I cannot understand why this article is even here. So what if Mariah doesn’t want children? Isn’t that her choice? Woman are not just “breeders”, here to bear children and increase the population! It seems to me that the WM is trying to paint Mariah Carey as some kind of selfish freak for saying she doesn’t want kids – and that annoys me.

Well done to Mariah for being honest. People who do not WANT children should not HAVE children. Kids are special; they deserve to be brought into the world by parents who really want them. No child should be brought into the world just because the mother feels pressure to submit to societial (sp?) norms!

26. Jx2 says

I’ll shut up if you shut up JenniFurrr !! Are you having difficulty in reading my post? Is that what has you all constipated?? LOL

27. jen says

Will you please just shut up Jx2? I don’t mean to p i s s on your parade or anything, but we don’t need a big essay. Sometimes I think you have to prove to yuorself that you’re really intelligent by writing chapters. You are insecure.

28. Nina says

#6 Freya, Connor is a cutie, but did you see Tony Romo with Jessica Simpson?? He is a hottie! !! She looks like an idiot with blue frosting all over her face—but still, I tend to root for these two. They look happy (sorry for the rabbit trail 🙂

Maybe she was abused as a child and has fears of that happening to her children. There are a lot of good reasons to feel violated in this world and the world can be a scary place for children. I hold my children really close because I know the statistics for abuse are one in three!! There is no reason to criticize mariah on this possibly sensitive topic!

30. JESS says

A BABY HAVING A BABY? UMM, HELLO MS. THANG?!?! YOU DON’T FALL INTO THAT CATEGORY! NOW, 20 YEARS AGO – THAT’S A DIFFERENT STORY! LOL!

31. Amanda says

I do not like her, I used to like her music but I do no like her new stuff. I don’t like her sense of style at all. She dresses like a hooker and thinks she is hot. She looks nasty. I think its a really good choice she doesnt want kids. Some people simply could not handle them.

32. Kelli says

Thank you, JX2! That was very kind. For what it is worth, I agree wholeheartedly that my sense of urgency may have everything to do with that I am running out of time for biology. But I am a HUGE fan of adoption and would consider it even if I did have a biological child. There are too many kids who need good homes and I don’t need my child to look like me to love it completely.

33. Jx2 says

Kelli – I hear you loud and clear!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way you feel. I know a LOT of woman that feel the exact same way. You are not in the minority. I appreciate your level-headed maturity and your willingness to think before you act. You may want a child now because you feel that your time is running out but there are a lot of children in orphanages that need a supportive and caring families to be raised in. Even if you do not have a biological child, it is not the end of the world. You can contribute your time and love in other ways and still be around children by volunteering at a local sick kids hospital(just a suggestion). Nobody will think less of you if you do not have a biological child and those individuals in society that criticize you and dub you as selfish are just reflecting upon their own inadequacies and insecurities as parents, which has nothing to do with you.

34. Jx2 says

I don’t care for Mariah and I can’t stand her singing either but to say she is selfish because she does not want to procreate is IGNORANT!
    Wanting to have a child is a behaviour enforced upon women at a young age by society. It’s a social conditioning.
    I’ll tell you what IS selfish…selfish is wanting to buy a big SUV car when we all know damn well that emissions from automobiles are significantly responsible for global warming. Selfish is believing in material needs as a vehicle for happiness. America’s favourite past-time is going to the mall to shop for things that are not even a necessity.
    Slowing and stopping exponential growth of the population and the physical capital is key to the success of future generations. Society needs to to examine the “vision” of the purpose of human existence which does not require deliberate, constant human expansion. Much of the underlying problems associated with the physiological and cultural commitment to growth comes in the form of poverty, unemployment, and societies addiction to material goods and excessive waste. Having a baby is just another material need. What people DO NEED is identity, community, challenge, acknowledgment, love, joy. To try to fill these needs with material things is to set up an unquenchable appetite for false solutions to real and never-satisfied problems. The resulting psychological emptiness is one of the major forces behind the desire for material wealth.

35. Kelli says

I don’t think it’s selfish to conciously decide not to have children. I think children deserve to have parents who want them. And far too many DON’T. I see no reason to fault the few adults who THINK before bringing a human being into this world.

I am Mariah’s age (37) and it has only been in the last year or so that I have wanted a child. I want one now really badly and I fear that it may turn out that I don’t get one – that is for God to decide. However, if I had had a child prior to this feeling of want, I would have had a feeling of resentment and that sense of “intrusion” – which is the word I think Mariah was looking for. I’m not a kid person. Chuck E Cheese is my idea of hell, I do NOT want to spend every weekend at soccer games, and I run from public gatherings when there are too many munchkins about. And I’ve always thought kids were pretty nasty. There’s always snot and spit and pee and poop and throw up and used to ask my mother, “Why are they always leaking. What’s wrong with them?” I don’t like KIDS. But yet I want so much to have and meet and cherish MY own kid. This is something new. It may or may not happen, but I like seeing the older mothers on this site because it lets me hope.

I know that this doesn’t make sense to people who seem to have their entire adulthoods revolve around their children. I just wanted to back up Mariah a bit.

36. Just me says

#11 … AMJ … I was going to say that maybe it would be a violation to her body because she has teen talking a lot lately about how happy she is since she lost weight.
    Whatever the reason is, good for her. Sounds responsible to me.
    I think she looks kind of trashy in this photo, with her clothing and pose but I do think she is beautiful.

37. amy says

Good! This world is over-populated already…Anyone who says kids aren’t their “cup of tea” get my hearty support in of our global over-population crisis. I don’t care if you are gay; don’t have an “ambition” or desire to procreate; feel it will violate your body; or just don’t want kids…it’s all better for the environment and already depleted natural resources for this planet we call Earth.

PS. I also may never have children. Never have. I most certainly don’t feel like a freak. I love animals and companions, but no thanks to kiddie-poo’s. 🙂

38. AMJ says

She bugs me…like a lot!! She was on Oprah last week talking about her diet and how she does it…..I would be skinny too if i had my own personal chef…..as far as kids go…..that’s fine she feels that way but I think she is a little selfish.

39. Wing says

She said maybe in the future??? Doesn’t she realize that her biological clock has been ticking for YEARS? lol

Good joke though.

40. KayG says

“Violated” is a strong word. I am sure she is getting some backlash for that comment. She probably didn’t mean it to sound so harsh.

41. Liza says

I think Mariah is a bit grotesque and its time she dress like an adult, but that’s a whole different issue.

WM, I don’t see why this is so strange. People don’t want children for a variety of reasons. I agree with Freya that posting this here seems like an attempt to cast her as a “freak” because she doesn’t want children.

Freya, I don’t know if there is any further explanation anywhere of why she feels this way, but I know a few people who like children but do not want pregnancy because they would feel like it was a violation of their body and they would be giving some level of autonomy away. That could be it, but I don’t know.

Click on my name to read the People article about Tom Cruise’s son Connor playing a younger version of Will Smith in an upcoming film! 🙂

43. Freya says

It’s great that she admits she isn’t ready, capable or willing to be a mother, but why is it here? Is it supposed to cast her as a “freak” for not wanting children? Lots of people feel this way. I’m a mother but I can see where she is coming from. But there is one thing I’m confused about; would she violated by being pregnant and giving birth or by actually raising a child? What exactly is the violation Mariah is talking about?

44. Ronnie says

i think it’s great she understands the responsibilty of bringing a child into this world
    she understands she wouldn’t “be able to educate it properly”

good on her!

45. Kay says

Good for her. She’s admitting her true feelings. I fully believe there are people in this world that are not meant to be parents and she recognizes that idea. I’m one of them also for my own reasons. To each their own.