Heath Ledger Found Dead In His NYC Apartment

Heath Ledger

This is just so sad…I didn’t believe it when I heard it on the news last night…I had to rewind because I thought I misheard. Heath was only 28 and he had a adorable baby daughter, and a very promising career…he had a big movie coming out this summer titled, “The Dark Knight.” Heath and (then wife) Michelle were one of the very first couples I dedicated a category to. My thoughts and prayers go out to Heath’s family. 🙁

Heath Ledger

Michelle Williams was on location in Sweden, believed to be with 2-year-old daughter Matilda, when she got the terrible news.

“She’s devastated,” says a source close to Michelle, 27.

Although their three-year relationship didn’t last, Michelle and Heath could always agree that their daughter comes first.

“He was absolutely in love with his daughter,” says another source. “And he really liked what he did [acting]. He spoiled Matilda rotten. He was playful and very funny with her.”

The source adds: “I can’t believe Matilda is going to grow up without a dad, without knowing her father. And that Michelle will have to deal with having a daughter who’s lost her father. She’s a survivor. She’ll make it, but it’s going to be hard. Her first concern is going to be Matilda.”

Comments

1. alison says

this was devastating news. i cried many times, which sounds pathetic but it is just so sad. i couldn’t even believe it when i saw it at the bottom of my screen of E! when i woke up from a nap. i saw ‘heath ledger’ so i was like, oh what’s that! and it says “heath ledger found dead in NYC” and i was so shocked.

it’s so sad what his family has to go through. also, i don’t think michelle ever really stopped loving heath (and him for her) but i just think that she was worried about her child. I don’t mean that he was a bad father, obviously he was an AMAZING one, and she knew that. but she couldn’t be with him.

also, Michelle’s brother went to GWU where my mom works as a surgeon, and he has apparently said that the two were married. I never really believed her because the media never said anything about it, but since my mom says that her brother has said so and also that they wore rings, i’m not so sure they weren’t.

i guess we won’t know unless Michelle opens up later.

anyways, it’s so tragic and i still can’t believe it. i’m still really upset, and it’s been a month. at least matilda has a strong mother and a caring family (from both the Ledgers and the Williams). I’m also glad his family and people that knew him (and those that didn’t) have such fond memories of him. may he rest in peace and watch down on his family, michelle, and matilda.

2. Generic name says

ow..as far as I remember I post my comments after Mimi..and its gone..well anyway RIP to Heath I’m gonna miss this man..he’s such a big lost!!

3. Tia :) says

I went to graduate school. I Make very good money JJ., i have no reason to lie to you…. If you live in the same province, you would know how much we are needed…so i dont know where you’re getting your information from. When i started 4 years ago my starting Salary was $28.00 an hour…it’s gone up since then…now mind you, i only work part time now because of my daughter. I love my job, sure there are days i dont want to get out of bed, but thats life!

4. kianoosh says

i’m so shocked…i just can’t believe that he is not alive anymore…he was one of my fave actors…when i saw the news in yahoo! news i was like “oh my god”…i’m so sorry he was a great talented actor…so sorry for his family and friends…REST IN PEACE HEATH

Two year old kids are pretty sharp these days. She will pick up on all the sadness especially when she sees her grandparents and Heath’s sister, who I think favors him a lot also. It is heartbreaking, just absolutely heartbreaking! It brings tears to my eyes!

6. Jx2 (the real McCoy) says

#53 – What a flippin coward!! Impersonating me – do you actually think that you can fool people into believing that that comment was made by me??? LOL LOL Keep wishing!!

7. fee says

Us weekly posted a pic of michelle and matilda getting off a plane today, and matilda has the biggest smile on her face. it breaks my heart becuase she has no idea what is going on. Sooner or later though, she is going to ask where daddy is. People think kids at this age don’t understand things, but they are so much smarter than we give them credit for. may God be with Heath’s family, Michelle, and Matilda during this time.

8. Jx2 says

“At least millions of dollars of research and trials have been poured into pharmaceuticals.”

LIZA – You must be employed by a pharmaceutical company to be touting them so vehemently!!! Everyone who has watched Michael Moore’s movie knows ALL about the medical institution in the U.S. and about the drug pusher’s known as doctors!!!

My naturopathic doctor is a graduate of the University of Toronto and majored in biology. She also studied Naturopathic Medicine at a University level as well…so she did not get her credentials in a breakfast cereal box! Not all Naturopaths are cut from the same cloth…some are in fact better than others!! I’m fortunate to have found a good one who helped me better than any doctor did!!

Tia – you may live comfortably because of your double income household, not because you are employed as a nurse. Don’t forget that I live in the same province as you and I KNOW that nurses are not paid very well!! A good friend of mine is a nurse and she is currently studying for her Masters in Nursing. I have aheard plenty of stories about the good old doctors and nurses she worked with!!

9. Ella says

This is so shocking. It’s just so surreal that he’s gone. Its the first time i have cried over a celebrity dying. I think its disgusting that they brought the strecher out with his body on if front of hundreds of people. The most disrespectful thing i have ever witnessed! My prayers are with Heath’s family in Perth, Michelle and Matilda. Heath you were one in a million! There is pain in my heart

10. Nicki says

I have to agree with MiracleMileMom, I also saw on Acess whatever, or those other shows, where the Paps are stationed out in front of Michelles apartment in NY waiting for her to arrive there. How sick are they, she is coming with his 2 year old daughter! Let them get through this without the sick paps stalking them.
    Let them be.
    It is a an awful time for them, and totally incomprendiable time for a 2 year old baby.
    So sad and should be able to be done in private.
    My prayers are with Matilda and Heaths family.

11. MiracleMileMom says

I agree, the photos of his body being wheeled out whre HORRIBLE Access Hollywood kept playing it over and over last night………. the body on the gurney and then being put in the back of the coroners van. What is wrong with the media?? This man has a family, a mother and father, siblings, a daughter, an ex who is the mother of their little girl – does anyone STOP and think about what that must be like for them to see??? Do the people who run this stuff not have children, parents, siblings??? It’s a news story, yes…… but really – that is crossing the line.

My heart breaks for his family, Michelle and especially his little girl.

Such a terrible tragedy. He was a wonderful actor and a loving fantastic father, my prayers are with his family and especially his daughter. I wonder if Michelle has tried to explain to her that her daddy is gone?

I also can’t help but wonder if he had a Will at such a young age? Will his financial holdings go to his daughter or to his father?

13. Tia :) says

eminencegrise- There was actually pictures floating around of that?! that makes me so sad. Unbelievable.

14. Tia :) says

Dori- If you read my last post, i said that all the sources corrected themselves said that that was just a rumor.

15. Liza says

Naturopathic medicine, when unregulated and unmonitored can be just as dangerous, if not moreso, than misuse of pharmaceuticals. At least millions of dollars of research and trials have been poured into pharmaceuticals.

Doctors didn’t kill Heath. No one knows what killed him, it could have been an accidental and lethal combination of several prescription drugs or drugs or alcohol or )gasp) herbs. Every patient should educate themselves and be completely open with their doctors about what other substances they take, whether prescription or not. Far more people are helped by western medicine that are hurt by it.

And WM, Heath and Michelle were never married. I really don’t understand why you can’t take the time to fact check before you post.

16. madison says

Police: No Illegal Drugs Found With Ledger
    Medical Examiner Says Autopsy Inconclusive

POSTED: 3:55 am PST January 23, 2008
    UPDATED: 1:00 pm PST January 23, 2008

It may mean something in explaining what happened to Heath Ledger. Then again, it may not.

Police in New York said Wednesday that a rolled-up $20 bill was found near the body of the Oscar-nominated “Brokeback Mountain” star.

However, authorities said no illegal drugs were found in the apartment. And NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said there was no visible drug residue on the bill. But it will be taken to a lab for testing.

At an afternoon news conference, Kelly didn’t elaborate on whether police think the bill may have been used to ingest drugs.

Ledger was found dead in his New York City apartment Tuesday. The medical examiner’s office in New York said early Wednesday that an autopsy on Ledger was inconclusive, and more tests are needed.

A spokeswoman for the office, Ellen Borakove, said that it will take about 10 days to complete toxicological tests on tissue samples taken from Ledger’s body.

Prior to the autopsy, police said the death of the 28-year-old Australian actor was caused by a possible drug overdose and appeared to be accidental. There were sleeping pills nearby Ledger’s body, police said.

17. carleigh says

I’ve been trying to comment on this blog for the past three hours..maybe this one will post.

Heath was a great actor, very talented. My heart aches for his daughter and the fact that she will not be able to grow up knowing her father.

If drugs/alcohol/mix played a part in his untimely death, then this makes it all the more sad.

RIP Heath Ledger….you will be missed.

18. carleigh says

I am saddened by this loss, he had enormous talent and a gift for acting. My heart breaks for his baby girl who is so young and will not have her Daddy anymore. Heath and Michelle were never married, sometimes I wish the WM would get the obvious right because it’s highly annoying and inaccurate to say the least.

The press said he had pnuemonia but the initial autopsy ruled that out as being the cause of death. There were more drugs found at the scene as well as a $20 bill rolled up in a “certain” shape, I read all this stuff on people and TMZ so I am not sure how accurate this can be given the sources. It does appear to have all the makings of another ANS type death, how sad.

Rest in peace Heath Ledger…you will be missed.

19. Genevieve says

RIP Heath

i can’t believe that he died. Its crazy and surreal this is probably the first celebrity i actually started crying after hearing that they died.

20. dori says

Tia a bill was found but no mention of narcotics being used or residu. Your statements are incorrect or your source is incorrect on this one. They don’t know anything yet.

21. 2teens says

it’s just so heartbreaking. There was something really special about Heath, which is why his death is shocking to so many people.

22. Georgia says

I think im still in shock about this. I dont know if i will ever get over it. What a tragic tragic day. I seriously dont know what to say. He will be greatly missed by so many people. I grew up in the same suburb as Heath and this just hits too close to home. My deepest sympathies go out to the Ledger and Williams families.

23. eminencegrise says

What a sad and awful thing to happen!

Poor Mathilda!

No matter how he came to die, NO ONE deserves to have their body displayed like that – they should have put up a barricade so no one could take or circulate those horrible photos of his body being carried out.

Imagine that being an image to carry with you of your own child?

His family must be devestated.

So, so tragic.

What a huge loss.

24. Tia :) says

Well lucky for me, i have always worked with wonderful doctors. Need not worry about my wages, I live quite comfortably. It’s because of a doctor that my daughter is alive today. She was very sick when she was born. Im sorry you seemed to of had such a bad experience. What works for you, works for you..no need to preach.

And as for Perez…he’s awesome! i just enjoy his website..as for what he said, it was also on the news today, TMZ.com (who was the first to report) and i believe justjared. com
    They, however, now say its just a rumor..which im happy about. I may be wrong, but Heath didnt seem like that type of guy.

25. Jx2 says

Tia – PerezHilton is hardly a reliable source of info. The results on how Heath died are inconclusive!!
    Whether by street drugs or doctor-prescribed drugs he obviously ingested some kind of ‘drug cocktail’…I’m surprised you are so supportive of doctors since you are a nurse…nurses are often mistreated by doctors and severely underpaid in comparison. I personally have had bad experiences with doctors and their over issuing of prescription drugs AND their arrogance!! My health improved considerably when I started seeing a naturopathic doctor who focuses mainly on Chinese medicine and Asian philosophy.

26. Tia :) says

I just read that they ruled out pneumonia, and are now leaning towards the medication or the drugs that were found. This just breaks my heart…I just loved Heath Ledger!

27. Sydd says

i could’nt believe it when i first heard it!! my sister and my dad at the dinner table said they got a text message saying heath ledger had passed away. i ran upstairs to go on babyrazzi and nothing was on it :[ then i went to celebritybabyblog.com and saw it was true :[ so very sad.
    Deepest Sympathys, Thoughts, And Prayers go out to Heath’s family and little Matilda who will grow up without a father.

RIP Heath xx You Will Be Missed. :[

28. Lauren says

I couldn’t believe it when I first heard the news. It’s so surreal and unbelievable. Heath was so young and had such a promising career/life ahead of him. Now, Matilda is going to grow up without knowing where her daddy is. Poor Michelle and Matilda. It’s truly heartbreaking. Rest in Peace Heath. You’ll always be remembered. 🙁

29. luckylee13 says

It makes me cry when I look at pictures of him with his daughter..it’s so clear that he loved being her father. There are a lot of pictures of him carrying her around on his shoulders and he’s smiling. It’s really,really sad.

30. Tia :) says

Before you go out on another one of your rants about heath care professionals JJ, this is what was posted on perez hiltons site:

“WCBS in New York is reporting that drug packets were found inside the actor’s SoHo Apartment, as well as a $20 bill with narcotic residue.

Several drug packets containing an unknown substance were found listed on the official police report from the scene.”

I dont understand what it is you have against Doctors…

31. Megan says

I am in shock too and I did cry. I still feel like I will wake up and they tell me it is not true. One of these days we will have to listen to what Tom Cruise says about anti depressants. RIP.

His poor daughter.

32. Jx2 says

Just like I said in another post. The medical industry is to blame for many senseless deaths. Doctors prescribe drugs to patients rather than suggest alternatives like deep breathing, meditation, yoga, herbal teas and exercise. Now Heath will have the long needed sleep he yearned for….but not in the right context.

33. Malory says

Its terrible for his family and specially for her daughter and her wife. He was so young. Too sad, he was a good actor

34. Butterfly says

And another thing, my late husband was also 28 when he died. It has been over 9 years now and we all still grieve. This will not be a loss easily forgotten for Michelle or Matilda and I hope that the media gives the family the space and respect that is deserved during this time.

35. Butterfly says

My heart goes out to Michelle. My children lost their father at ages 2 and 5 and it has been hardest for my son who was 2. He doesn’t have any memories of his father and that has been a real challenge. My daughter has fared better, partly because daughters tend to need their mothers just a tad bit more than Dad’s for their identity, but mainly because she has some memories. I hope that as hard as it may be for Michelle, she keeps pictures available to Matilda and that she preserves any personal writings, pictures or film. Although Matilda will struggle and certain experienes will be harder for her than others, she is not alone. Many children have lost their Dad’s in Iraq, in 911 or in an accident. A death like this is tragic…Heath’s accidental overdose of prescription meds was the same way that my late-husband died. It was heartbreaking! Children are resilient and both Michelle and Matilda will get through this tragic loss. Heath, you will be missed!

36. me says

I didn’t think him and Michelle ever got married.

Nonetheless, it’s very tragic and shocking. He was a beautiful creature and he will be missed. I feel so badly for Matilda having to grow up, most likely losing the only memories she has of her father. And for Michelle having to answer the “where’s daddy” questions.

37. boo says

I apologize for the triple post….. and the ? in the first 2 posts were supposed to be hearts…. but I guess you can’t do that on this site!

38. lucy says

I m shock. I cant believe this. He was so young, handsome man. And the best actor. You will miss us. This is very big tragedy…..Goodbay big actor……….:-(((

39. boo says

I too was in severe shock and found myself in tears while watching a few dedication videos on You Tube….Heath was so Young and had his whole life ahead of him, his Daughter was his Pride and Joy and he loved his career….. he was taken too soon, Its so hard to think that Matilda Rose is going to grow up without her Daddy, and I can’t begin to imagine how she is going to take the news that she will never see her daddy again 🙁 Being so young, obviously she won’t quite understand what is going on but eventually she will begin to wonder where Daddy is and why can’t I see him anymore. It’s Heartbreaking!!
    I send My Thoughts to Michelle and Matilda and of course the rest of Heaths family and pray that they will have the strength to get through this!

R.I.P Heath xo

40. boo says

? R.I.P Heath ?xo

41. boo says

? R.I.P Heath ?xo

42. dori says

such tragic news I feel incredibly sad…such a great actor and so young… We will miss you Heath.
    It’s been reported that doing the role of the evil joker took it’s toll on Heath he was unable to sleep at night , his body was tired but his mind wouldn’t rest he admitted he was very stressed out about it…and was taking ambien to try to sleep and that only worked for an hour. …they are saying the overdose was an accident.

This is so sad, and so very unfortunate… I had to turn up the radio yesterday when I first heard the news, because I couldn’t believe what I was hearing… it’s unreal, Heath was so young and in his prime.
    I found this article on http://www.wwtdd.com, which indicates that the Westboro Baptist Church is picketing Heath Ledger’s death, saying that he has now “gone to hell” for having portrayed a gay man in “Brokeback Mountain”… I just cannot believe that, at a time like this, where a young man has lost his life and a young girl has lost her father, a church would choose to discuss a person’s acting choices (for which Heath received an Oscar nomination!!)… that is nothing short of a disgrace…

44. Jenna M. (UK) says

This is so sad… I couldn’t believe when my mum told me this morning. Heath was a great actor, one of my favourites. Deepest sympathies to his family, especially little Matilda.

I’m going to have to go and watch Brokeback Mountain now!

45. Tia :) says

JJ- I though the same too about James Dean.

This just breaks my heart…especially to see the picture of him with his daughter…my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. We was a wonderful actor.

46. mr says

I think I’m still in shock – my heart goes out to Heath’s family, Michelle, Matilda and to those others who were close to him. This is truely a sad day in Hollywood.

47. Alurah says

It is so horrible. my heart goes out to his family and the pain they’re going through. I just keep seeing pictures of him with his baby girl and it doesnt seem possible that he could be gone! It is so very unfortunate. Rest In Peace Heath….

48. Jx2 says

So. Very. Unfortunate. and Sad.

He will go down in the books with the likes of James Dean and Sal Mineo.

49. Jamie67 says

I’m so shocked:((
    My heart goes out to little Matilda,growing up without her daddy!!
    A wonderfull talented actor,he will be missed.
    God bless his soul.
    R.I.P Heath.

50. lostfan says

I’m just shocked ! cant beleive this has happened to someone who always seemed so relaxed and happy with life. so so sad.

51. Dnice says

This blew me away when I heard about it. He was a wonderful talent. I just keep thinking about his 2 year old who won’t get a chance to know her father. Matilda looks so much like him too. My prayers go out to his family….such a tragedy.