Johnny Depp Opens Up About His Daughter's Health Scare

Johnny Depp

Johnny Depp, 44, is still keeping mum about the undisclosed illness which landed his daughter, Lily Rose, 8, in the hospital this spring – but he is opening up about the panic that he experienced.

“To say it was the darkest moment, that’s nothing,” Johnny told Entertainment Weekly. “It doesn’t come close to describing it. Words are so small.”

“Now every single millisecond is a mini-celebration,” said Johnny. “Every time we get to breathe in and exhale is a huge victory. She pulled through beautifully, perfectly, with no lasting anything.”

Johnny also has a son, Jack, 5, with longtime partner Vanessa Paradis.

Comments

1. Jenna M. (UK) says

#37, I agree. I live in the UK and we ten to complain a lot about our Health Service, but when we look at countries like the USA that have no National Health Service we have no right to complain! For such a developed and rich country such as the States not to have one astounds me.

As for Johnny Depp, I like him. I don’t think he’s fake. Compared to a lot of Hollywood actors he seems the most down-to-earth and genuine. I never noticed the accent thing before, I never really see him doing interviews so I couldn’t comment on his real accent. I hope you people aren’t criticising him for having a fake accent in his films though… that would just be rather silly lol!

2. Grip says

It is a DISGRACE that we have people who die in the US because they don’t have access to BASIC healthcare. I mean a total sin. Meanwhile, the CEO’s of the pharmeceuticals and hospitals and insurance companies are rolling in dough. Politicians don’t care, because they’d have to let go of the campaign contributions. It’s a disgrace.

Just reading and resting today Tia, went to see the “Bee” movie yesterday, too many kids!!!!! Ha!

I think it would be a good agenda for the next election for someone to focus on Health Care issues, but they prob won’t have the guts to do so, will be afraid big money will be pulled from their campaign contributors!

Too many mothers having to decide, food, shoes for their children, or take them to the doctor! It is beyond disgraceful!!!

4. Tia :) says

Grip- Yes i am from canada. How terrible that in such a powerful country there is pain and suffering due to poor health care.

Oriana- Here in canada, there is a shortage in nurses as well. I can tell you, I choose the right profession. Today the government in Ontario is offering free tuition to students who are interested in becoming a Nurse.
    How your weekend went well dear!

Tia, in a country as big and powerful as ours, it is downright disgraceful when people have to choose between eating or getting their medicine! And people die and are turned away every day when they don’t have ins. Millions do not! You don’t have to be labeled a “poor” person to be snubbed and treated like dirt either. It is pitiful, beyond pitiful! There is a shortage of nurses everywhere, in every state.

I read even in Cuba there is medical care available to the people!

Grip, I am sure you have seen many sad cases you could write a book about!!!!

6. Grip says

Tia – I take it you’re from Canada? well, healthcare in the US is a mess… I’m in the industry (and desperately trying to get out.) It’s a sin, and a disgrace… there is no question about it.

7. Grip says

Cathi – saying America is far from perfect and acknowledging it’s faults – not hard to do, I could go on a diatribe about how things are messed up just based on the costumes I saw most kids in this Halloween…. BUT to say that America is an agressive puppy with big teeth and you never want your child to step foot in the country is a bit different. ESPECIALLY when you are more than willing to take $$ from that very country to live your rich life in another. And as for France, it is NOT a world power anymore, so it does not have the problems that world powers fact. But it has stop lots of problems…lots… as I have a friend who lived there and has family there. So it’s far from perfect too. He has the right to live in Antartica if he likes, but he’s still a messed up individual for talking as he does (as rare as it may be) and he’s a royal hypocrite in my book.

8. Tia :) says

Oriana, you are such a sweetheart! I do enjoy talking to you.

It really can be that bad eh? It is horrible that someone can be turned down for healthcare.

I really would like to know why Johnny thinks his home counrty has failed him so? what happened that someone could ever feel this strongly about the country where they were born and raised?!?

Cathi, believe me, I am not blind to our country’s faults either, but it is our country, and to me, the greatest in the world, but I am biased. We have made many mistakes and have a lot to improve on.

Sad to say to my precious Tia, and yes, she is very special to me, I do think Michael Moore hit it very closely about our Health Care System. It sucks! No way around it! The elderly suffer, and there should be some drastic changes made immediately.

However, I do think Johnny is very snobbish and arrogant from living in France for so many years, unfortunately the French are haughty and exactly like that, is just icing on the cake adding to his concerns, and some are valid, about the U.S.

He didn’t use that fakey accent when he was living here and first started out! Bullcrap on that nonsense!!!! Even when he was drinking and drugging, destroying hotel rooms, getting arrested with Kate Moss, he didn’t have that accent so I don’t buy it. I just don’t like him or his attitude. I do think he has settled down and is a good father, so I wish him and his family good health and happiness.

10. Cathi says

I am an American who loves her country, but I am not blind to our country’s faults. We are very materialistic, especially in Hollywood. Johnny Depp loves acting but he hates the media attention and wants to protect his kids from that and from all the materialism. France is not perfect either, but I feel that it is his choice and I respect him for that.

11. Andrea says

No, no recent quotes except that elusive one about his daughter’s illness. That’s because he hardly gives interviews.
    And so what if it was 4 yrs ago? It’s what he’s known for when the news media thinks of him. Hey, let’s throw away all our history books! They’re “not recent”!

Nicki, you’re such a hostile person. Make like a leaf and blow away.

12. Grip says

As I said, he’s a moron… a moron with a fake accent. A HYPOCRITICAL moron with a fake accent to boot.

Stay in France bub… just wish you could leave the $$ from the US behind.

Jerk.

13. Nicki says

Andrea- You do realize that was over four years ago??

19. Andrea ++++++++++++++++++++++++

Don you have any recent quotes of his?????

14. Andrea says

An article on CNN.com quotes Johnny Depp as saying the following:
    ——————

“America is dumb, it’s like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you, aggressive,” he said.

“My daughter is four, my boy is one. I’d like them to see America as a toy, a broken toy. Investigate it a little, check it out, get this feeling and then get out,” said the star of the off-beat films “Edward Scissorhands” and “Dead Man.”
    (http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/03/depp.us.reax.reut/
    —————-

He sure does sound eloquent. I wonder which accent he used during the interview.

15. Nicki says

Well, Rachie UK ================
    She has been fine for awhile now., If you are such a big fan why are you just hearing about this now?

And he doesn’t use his normal accent in an interview since he has been with his childrens mothers, over 9 years.
    \God Bless them and I wish them all the best!!!

16. Rachie UK says

what are you talkin bout fake accents? he just uses his normal voice!!! anyway i absolutely love johnny depp & im sooo pleased to hear his daughter is fine, it must have been a horrible time for the family.

Grip, please look at his picture promoting Sweeny Todd, he looks like a big Fool in that picture and I can see the real life arrogance in him too!

18. dori says

Yes Leo has way surpassed Johnny but they did start out together in Gilbert Grape and I do believe they both have outstanding acting ability. But you’re right Leo did get a lot further and is an exceptional actor.

19. Grip says

LOL Oriana, he makes me sick too. LOL

Look, the US is NOT perfect, I’d be the very first to admit that… but neither is France, or England, or Swaziland…. so get overyourself Johnny.

S, in all respect to you, I have lived in Ca. since 1983 and have not lost my Southern accent one bit. Now there may be others that have, but Johnny boy is from a town 80 miles from my hometown, and I can assure you, no one in Owensboro, Ky speaks with a French accent!

I don’t know how long he has been living over there but I don’t think he is a French gentlemen by any stretch of the imagination. I doubt if he can even speak the language that well either! I have never heard him say one word in that language, not even in any movies he has ever starred in!

The more I think about it, he makes me sick!

21. S says

i think accents develop as you spend more time among other languages… that is how we all develop our own accents. there are different accents just in the states, and if you live somewhere long enough ALL the time, it will, if only slightly, change your own accent.

Nicki my Dear, I can’t tell you how much I enjoy my special bond with you!!!!! No fog as of yet, not even in Fresno, but coming soon, there is some around San Francisco though at the airport.

Oh without a doubt I think he is a good actor and has an incredible fan base. But that accent cracks me up! He knows he is a Southern boy!!!! Ha! I wonder if he has a speech coach?

Grip is right in my opinion, neither of those wannabe’s have any class, talent yes, class, no, and Madonna hasn’t changed, she is still the same person she always was too.

dori, Leo is becoming more and more an excellent actor, much better than Johnny by far!

23. dori says

Love Love Love Johnny Depp and not just from Pirates always thought he was a very good actor just like Leonardo DiCaprio. Glad to hear his daughter is fine.

24. Grip says

Because they are trying to act like they have class, which they don’t…. and I wonder if Johnny would LOWER himself to bringing his child to the US for treatment, if needed…. heaven knows he has no problem taking US $.

25. Nicki says

Hey oriana~it is sunny but very cold. Windy. Yesterday it was beautiful about 80. Today feels like 50. But sunny and bright.
    Is it foggy up by you? Probably starting to get cold there now.

The fake accents crack me up. Madonnas is the funniest, especially when she has 3 going in the same sentence.
    I do like Johnny in movies, interviews not so much.

Nicki, I am up early this morning. What is the weather like down there, prob really nice!

I don’t get why these actors and actresses really try to be something they are not with their fakey accents. It is stupid!

Mr. Big Shot has forgotten his roots!

Yes, he is a big Star, and I do think a loving and good father, but he isn’t anything special in my book. A reformed druggie and drunk, and I am sure he still smokes his pot over there in his new country, France!

27. Nicki says

Glad is daughter is OK.
    But you call that opening up? I like Johnny, but don’t like the Madonna fake accent thing either.

28. fee says

can’t stand him?

Y’all are crazy but to each her own I guess. I am just happy that his daughter pulled through ok.

YAY JOHNNY Can;t wait to see Sweeney Todd

29. Dianne says

I read she had an E.Coli infection.

He’s so strange. Why does he talk (offscreen) in an accent he doesn’t naturally have? Madonna does that too.

30. Grip says

Can’t stand Johnny Depp, but would not wish this on anyone…happy to hear his little girl is well.