Angelina Jolie's Brother In Awe Of His Nieces and Nephews

Angelina Jolie

(The above is an old pic of James, Angelina and a baby Maddox…cute!)

Angelina Jolie’s brother, James Haven, is in awe of his sister’s children.

“They’re unbelievable,” James, 34, an activist for AIDS and human rights causes, tells Marie Claire in November’s issue. “Zahara likes to hide from Angie, who always knows, right when she walks in the room, that Z’s playing.”

As for Pax, who was adopted at age 3 in March from a Vietnamese orphanage, the child “amazed me the first time he said my name,” said the proud uncle.

“He didn’t know any English, and I hadn’t heard him say a word yet, so I wasn’t expecting it,” says James.
James said that his sister inspired him to become involved in philanthropy.

“Angie was the catalyst,” he said. “She’d say, ‘I just heard this is going on in Darfur …’ and I’d want to be involved.”

He also was prompted by what he called his difficult home conditions growing up with father Jon Voight.

“I don’t want to constantly berate my father – I wish him well, and I hope finds peace – but he put my mom through years of mental abuse, and it made me care especially for abandoned women and children,” said James. “So that’s my religion – helping widows and orphans.”

A rep for Jon Voight didn’t return a call to People magazine seeking comment.

James also shares that he still wishes people would forget about his famous kiss of his sister at the 2000 Oscars!

“So long ago!” he said. “Can we please move forward? Someday I’ll get married, and on my wedding day they’ll be saying, ‘OK, we have to ask about that infamous Oscar kiss.'”

Jenna, No, I don’t think she has mental problems because she wears black, I think her outlook on life could play a part on it, like her brother stated years ago, Angie feels there is so much sorrow and strife in the world, she had traveled to so many countries and seen horrible things, she now wears black a lot because of all the suffering she has witnessed. But she wore Black years before she became a n Ambassador for any third world country. She wore it in high school when she was so sad and miserable when she was doing drugs and cutting herself. She has said herself she was into the goth style when younger and I think she still is to a certain extent. I would have thought since she says she is so happy with Brad and the kids now that she would have a brighter outlook on life in general now.

Marilyn Manson is a sicko and I can’t stand him, but that is just my opinion, if you like him, then to each his own.

I think Angie has not overcome her demons and she is still having some mental issues.

2. Dave says

I agree–wearing black all the time is not normal, at least in her psyche. She must be depressed, angry, or insecure. I feel bad for the children she’s adopted because this woman’s got a bunch of mental issues to deal with.

3. Jenna M. (UK) says

You think she has mental problems because she wears black a lot?

Wearing black is just Angie’s style (and mine and the lovely Marilyn Manson’s styles for that matter lol), just like I’m sure you all have your own styles. And by the way, wearing black does not a goth make, Angelina is very very far from the goth look.

Jenna, I am not hung up on it, I just cannot have helped but notice it for YEARS she has wore mostly black, and to me that doesn’t seem normal. I am not into all the goth looks period, just like I don’t think Marilyn Manson is normal, and he is creepy to me. Guess they have a lot in common since he painted naked pictures of her but it just isn’t my preference to look like he does or wearing black all the time. Maybe she is trying to make a statement, I don’t know, but she does wear drab colors most of the time.

I know she had mental problems years ago and I think she still does today to some degree.

If I saw someone wearing Red all the time, I would say the same thing, what the Hell is up with that? That would be stupid to me!

5. Jenna M. (UK) says

Well I’m sorry Oriana but I think thats a very shallow attitude to have. I think when people are that hung up on what other people wear (this isn’t directed at you Oriana but people on this board in general), they really neeed to take a look at what is missing in their own lives.

6. Deeds says

Oriana, you’re funny! Would you like a blindfold and a last cigarette before you go in front of the firing squad?

Deeds my Dear, don’t shoot me!!! I went to Sears and saw sheet sets on sale for $9.99 that color! I bought about ten of them! Twin and Full size. It is a popular color around here!

Jenna, As far as wearing black all the time, I remember Johnny Cash used to wear it all the time, he said he had a purpose in life for doing it, I just find it strange for someone to wear Black 99% of the time, and that goes for you too. Sorry about that. Black is or used to be, for mourning, and in some countries it still is, it is for me also, but that is my choice the same as yours to wear it everyday if that is the case.

As far as this movie setting in the time period, I love this time period as well as the 40’s. This will be my kind of movie and I will go see it, I like Clint’s movies. I do think she would look better with some more weight on her and I think she is putting on a little bit more.

8. Zbella says

She and James look very much alike and always have. I do think it’s unusual. I have 3 siblings and none of us look that similar.

9. Zbella says

I am a big fan. However, she needs to put on some weight. I’m sorry, I know it’s none of my business, but that’s my opinion.

10. Nicki says

Deeds- the movie is set in the 1920’s. Clint Eastwood said many actresses wanted this role, but Angie was thier first choice. She didn’t even have to read for it, it was handed to her. So her look must be right for the movie or they would have looked at many actresses.
    You may think she looks silly, but the outfit is for the movie and she has no say in what they pick for her to wear.

I think this looks like a good movie, it is based on a true story. Clint is a great director and I’m sure he will do a great job with the story.

11. Deeds says

AJ looks silly acting like she is in the what ’40’s? I believe back in that era men liked full figured women. Clint should have told her to put on some weight. I know other actors will do that to make thier role more believeable.. JMO

12. Jenna M. (UK) says

Oriana – who’s to say whats normal? Aren’t people free to wear whatever they like? I wear black almost all the time, the occasional bit of purple, dark blue or dark red, but nearly always black. Its just what I like, and I don’t think anybody has the right to call me abnormal because of that.

13. Vial of blood says

When she won her golden globe, she said i am so in love with my brother right now, and then later that freaky kiss was too much for people to bear. Angie used to do weird stuff. I wonder how Brad feels with James around.

Nicki, she just started wearing White in the past few months, before that from the pictures I have seen, it was mostly black and a lot of gray. I wonder why she has an aversion to bright colors? She looked gorgeous in the Yellow dress she wore in Cannes, and she looked good in the red sweater and the one she wore the other day also. She does wear mostly black and she did way before she ever had kids! Even as a teenager. Back then she was into the goth look but I would have thought she would have outgrown that by now. She does seem to prefer drab colors.

Brad also has been wearing more gray lately but he has always dressed like a bum and not looked too clean to me, even since as far back as being with Juliette Lewis, she used to talk about how he would go for two weeks at a time without bathing! Like Johnny Depp!

I love the hat and coat she is wearing but I think she looks older in this era. I have always thought she looked older though than 32, she has a happy, brilliant smile though! I am sure Clint will be enthralled with her!

15. Nicki says

oriana~ silly to say that. We have many posts here of her in white, just click on Angie and Brads thread. She also has gray on, and surprise one day of her in all white, shorts and cute top. How are you? Good I hope.

For the record lulu, she has said, since Maddox was a baby, she is always wearing black because she is a bit clumsly. When she spills coffee or baby food, it wipes up easy and looks ok, (as opposed to white or tan, you still see a big stain after it drys~~JMHO) Let her be, does your neighbors tell you what to wear and why?
    She wears what she is comfortable in. I wear jeans everyday, I hope my neighbbors aren’t asking each other why? I wear what is comfotable for me and what I enjoy wearing.

Jenna, it isn’t normal to wear black ALL the time unless you are in mourning. Has she been in mourning for years?

17. lulu says

Can someone tell me why she is ALWAYS wearing black or dark colors?? She is SO pretty..whats that about?

Just looking at James, he looks like he would be a very sweet and nice person, I think he is nice looking and he is probably a sensitive person too. I think Maddox and the others are lucky to have him for family!

19. Alyssa says

James goes to my Church and he leaves in the neighborhood next to mine, he seems ‘weird’ if you dont know him but once you get to know him he is sweet. He is in the Orphanages Around the World group at our Church.

20. Tia :) says

My husband and his sister look alot alike. I think i know what you mean Jenna…for a boy and a girl to look A LOT a like is rare….at least in my eyes 🙂

21. Jenna M. (UK) says

Its not weird – I was being sarcastic when I said it was scary. And I don’t know hardly any siblings who look as much alike as those two, I was just pointing out that it ws unusual for siblings to look *that* alike.

22. kimmy says

I thought brothers and sisters were supposed to look alike. You know, with the whole having the same Dad and Mom. What is so weird about it?

23. Kris2 says

I know this might sound kinda dumb…but, what kiss is everyone talking about? I have no idea what-so-ever!! Can someone please fill me in!!!?

24. dori says

Nicki Those were great pics she was such a beauty before she got so rail thin. Mad was a cute baby too. And he’s still cute!

25. Tia :) says

Maddox is a cutie! I do think people need to move on that kiss..i agree with Oriana, i didnt see anything sexual from it.

26. Kris2 says

Nicki…Great pictures of Maddox and Angie. That’s a side of her I really haven’t seen. Maddox really has grown.

27. Lauren says

Maddox was the cutest baby! He’s grown up to be a handsome little boy. James and Angelina look a lot alike. Weird! 🙂

28. Jenna M. (UK) says

Maddox was such a cute baby! Well he’s still cute now but ya’ know what I mean! James and Angelina look so much alike its scary.

I didn’t get anything sexual from that kiss, people just aren’t used to seeing celebs do it.

Nicki, nice pictures of Maddox, he has grown up so fast, always been cute as can be. It is very obvious how loving and nuturing she is to him, I still say I have not seen this same devotion in the pictures we have seen with her and Shiloh, maybe because he is her first child.

30. Kris2 says

Wow…Maddox looks so little in this pic. I never noticed how much Angie and her brother look alike.