Brad Pitt Explains Why He Cut Back On Drinking To Be A Better Dad

Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie

Brad Pitt thinks drinking beer made him a neglectful dad. Brad decided to massively cut down his alcohol intake after seeing Zahara, 2, choke on an ice cube. He said: “It’s not easy to be a good father when you’ve had a few drinks. “About a year ago I’d had a couple of beers and my daughter Zahara had this piece of ice that had been dropped on the floor, and she was putting it in her mouth and began to choke on it, and that was it.
“You have to be absolutely on top of every situation. The other s**t doesn’t work anymore. When they wake up in the middle of the night you have to be there.”And you can’t deal with children when you have a hangover – that’s just a misery!”

1. Tea says

N’ thanks, and you are right, I often have to shake my head and wonder what people could be thinking. logic does seem to show up occasionally, but it is rare!

2. N says

Especially about the “logical” part! You will find that at this site that is sometimes nonexistent. IMO

3. Tea says

One thing I think it is important to remember people, it is not like he is going out and saying these things every day to get in the spot light, mags and interviewers take things from one interview and release certain parts of it every week or so after everyone has made a big deal over the last thing that they put out then it died down to keep it going. They also have a talent to get people talking. If you have ever been interviewed by someone good, you would know that it is like having a conversation with a sympathetic listener who knows which questions to ask to get you talking. This is one little snipet of a long conversation and you don’t even know what context the comments were made in, or what the conversation was like that got him to the point of saying that. The interviewer or editor just decided, “hey this looks like something that will get people talking about Brad!!” and off it goes. Or I guess you can believe that he just goes out his front door every few days and makes these comments for attention if that makes you feel better, but if you think logically that conclusion sounds pretty far fetched

4. interesting says

i think its pretty kool the wayb hes being aware of his faults.that says that hes tying to let people know hes human and that its not a kool thing to be much power to him

5. Denise says

Took him this long to figure out you can’t drink and take care of kids too? It does slow the reaction time down. But, he is stupid for admitting it. Wonder when they’ll learn to keep things to themselves. Maybe he has to be more alert because AJ is off in her own little world. Ha.

6. lily says

He is an excellent father, devoted father a very good man, best actor, we love he movie. Angelina very luck have him.they have many child they should marry good examples for the child.

Jenna my Dear, I will just have to stick to my old Bud LIght that I sneak in every now and then! I like Rolling Rock too! Ha!

8. Jenna M. (UK) says

Lol its a drink Oriana, Irish cider I think. Its supposed to be better cold but trust me, its gross any way.

9. Gina says

He does not have any gray matter in that cranium. Has he ever said anything that makes sense? What about Crack dear Braley? Is it good for kids? I remember you going to capital hill to campaign for it.

Grow up!

10. dori says

I’m sure he is a great father.. I just didn’t need to know that he drank beer., He wasn’t drinking all that much I’m sure, but it was an unknown ….why did he feel the need to share that information.? It’s not like he was an alcoholic. And at 40 I think we all slow down on our partying ways don’t we?

Now if he was drinking a case a day like Paul Newman says he does I would say, whoa Nelly! I don’t think a couple of beers will hurt anyone. I love beer with pizza but can’t drink it because of my meds. I think if he was drinking beer though, why the ice? I don’t know of many men that put ice in a glass with beer?

I do think he is a good father and I know he loves kids, I think he is a good man.

sara, I will pray for you husband to stay safe, God Bless all our men in the Service, men and women!!! Hard to believe, but my friend’s dad is a doctor, 59 years old, and he was just called to go to Afgan! I think that is where our focus should have been from the beginning anyway.

12. Jenna M. (UK) says

I think its cool of him to talk about it but I just know some idiots are going to come on here complaining about what a bad dad he is for drinking at all etc etc.

13. Somayea says

i think it’s really nice of Brad to open up. I hope Zee is okay. I think if guys[especially dads] would cut back,then there would be less abuse/deaths.

14. Lauren says

I admire Brad for being honest. It’s annoying when celebrities lie about that stuff even when you KNOW they’re doing it. You can tell Brad is a really devoted father. 🙂

15. Tia :) says

no, no. I admire Brad for opening up. It’s not like he’s saying “im an alcoholic” He was just saying he would drink a few beers. I mean, it was normal in my house for my father to come home on a hot summer day and have a nice cold beer.

I think he is an excellent father. You can really tell he loves his babies!

16. ann.w says

Brad is best dad in the world, he and Angelina is very special always help people they are too good to be trust. he is best actor, we lake he’s movie.

17. sara says

I’d like to say that I too give him credit for his candid admission. My husband is a drinker, we have 3 little ones and I am constantly telling him to cut back. He’s in Iraq now and without his beer…maybe this will help our situation. I sent this to him…

18. 2teens3beans says

A couple (2) of beers isn’t going to affect the reaction time of a full grown man… c’mon Brad, admit that it was really a six pack! Tee-hee.

19. Pat says

Finally who does not drink and take drugs in hollywood ? This is a debate , since i thought this guy got his shit together. And now know i was wrong. Do not get into heroin like momgelina.

20. Sassy says

DMITZ – I was going to say the same thing, I never drank because I grew up with two parents who were alcoholics, I remember being terrified of getting into the car with them.

Thank you Brad, for coming out and being honest….

21. DMITZ says

I have to give Brad props for openly admitting that because he will catch a lot of flack for that comment.