Important Information For Expectant Women About Lipstick

Lipstick

The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics had discovered that many lipsticks contain dangerous amounts of lead and pregnant women and young children are particularly vulnerable.

Among the highest lead-containing samples were: L’Oreal Colour Riche “True Red” L’Oreal Colour Riche “Classic Wine” Cover Girl Incredifull Lipcolor “Maximum Red” and Christian Dior Addict “Positive Red.”

Dr. Sean Palfrey, a pediatrician at Boston Medical Center and medical director of the Boston Lead Poisoning Prevention Program, said “If you have a mom who uses a lipstick which has some lead in it and then she gets pregnant, she may be slightly poisoned and can poison her fetus,” he said. “Then the baby is born and may have an elevated lead level, which is dangerous.”

I don’t think the study is meant to frighten women, but I think with this information most pregnant women would steer clear of the lipsticks with elevated lead in them.

Comments

I really appreciate it when you include blog messages like this. Thanks. Have you seen this webpage: ewg.org? It contains a lot of useful information, particularly about some problems with baby formula and chemicals in cosmetics that are not good for us.

2. kimmy says

This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Pregnant women have been wearing lipstick for centuries now, and I still plan too.

3. dori says

Good that your laughing LOLLOL my neice just cancelled a wedding too 200 peopple and the invites were out and the responses returned YIKES!!!!!

4. Elsa says

I was just going to say this is on legit news and it should really be news to all women, not just pregnant ones or women who kiss their kids….

So much for thinking the government regulates these things.

5. Zbella says

I’m wrong! Saw it on the news this morning. Wow – that is really awful. Thank goodness I only wear lip gloss, if anything at all. Seems like there are a million dangerous things out there now with cough medicine, lead lipstick and toys…

6. kim--original kim says

# 7, Dori, ha ha LMAO!! After reading all those posts about Depp earlier, you really made me laugh! Thanks, I needed it–basement flooded tonight and sister cancelled her wedding tomorrow….needed that laugh!!!

7. Ignoranceisbless! says

Lead builds up in the systems, just because you have been exposed does not mean you will immeadiately get sick…when the toxins are too much is when you will get sick. Lead in terms of a developing baby is not a good thing! Just a quick point, why would the producers of these companies tell us they were dangerous? This world is about money not safety. Recently I watched the movie Food Nation, it was loosely based on McDonalds least to say the meat was contamintaed with E-coli but when asked about it he said yes it can be fatal for someone but cars are also fatal and they still make those! Shocking but true, protect yourself by informing not ignorance! Thank you Webmistress!

8. Zbella says

Hmm – I think I would have heard about this if it was true. I have had 3 children in the past 6 years and no mention of this. I was told to avoid many things – lipstick was not among them. Lead is serious. If it is in lipstick don’t you think the women would be sick??? Well before they GOT pregnant? Sounds fishy to me.

9. Kimora and Kariah's Mommy says

Thanks wm…good to know. I don’t typically wear red lipstick; prefer dramatic eyes. I appreciate all types of tips such as these. After all, I have been pregnant 23 of the last 39 months!

10. dori says

Well someone better tell Christina Aguillera cause she wears tons of the stuff.
    No really if not one thing it’s another but I have heard this before especially about the L’Oreal Lipstick Quick soemone tell Johnny Depp his precious France is selling us Americans products that will harm our children!!!

11. wtf says

Pregnant women also need to stay in doors and wear oxygen mask so they do not breathe the toxic air around them!

12. kim--original kim says

It’s very interesting…all of a sudden we seem to be having all sorts of recalls/warnings, etc.
    I think there’s actually a LOT of things/info. that the gov’t. keeps from us Americans… we’re sort of a need-to-know based society. The preservatives in our foods, etc.
    I always think of one of my favorite lines from one of my all-time fave movies, “Tommy Boy…” Dan Akroyd plays the head of a car-parts company and says “What the American public doesn’t know is what makes them the American public.” (I think that’s the exact wording.) It’s SO true…with our short attention spans and all. We can only handle so much information at one time! Crazy.

13. Kamineko says

Liz, regardless of what Snopes says, this has some basis in fact. There are many toxins in our cosmetics,food, air and household cleaners, etc.
    Take a look at this link below, it changed my mind about a lot of the makeup and personal care items I used to buy. So long Chanel “Scarlet” lipstick!

cosmeticdatabase.com

14. Rachie UK says

Yay something else which we aren’t allowed to have coz we’re all gonna die… just don’t wear lipstick!