An Expectant Nicole Richie "Playing By The Rules"

Nicole Richie

A four-months-pregnant Nicole Richie was spotted leaving the Neil George Salon in Beverly Hills on Thursday. The former Simple Life star, who recently told Diane Sawyer that she’s “playing by the rules” during her pregnancy, opted not to get her roots touched up.

The American Medical Association recommends that expectant mothers stay away from hair dye during pregnancy.

“If you dye your hair three times while you’re pregnant, that’s the equivalent of smoking one to four cigarettes,” Dr. Jeanine Downie, a dermatologist and the director of Image Dermatology in Montclair, N.J., has said.

Wow! I didn’t know that! I knew pregnant women should never let hair dye chemicals touch their scalp or skin, but I didn’t know it was the equivalent of smoking one to four cigarettes…yikes!

1. Deenah says

She looks pretty.In the simple life she looked like a fun mom but,I hope she doesn’t act that way with her child.

I suppose maybe there are some rare cases that people get bad reactions from vaccines, but I haven’t ever heard of Autism being caused by it before. Can you imagine the lawsuits towards that company if that was proven!!!!!!

I do have to say though that nothing looks any trashier to me than a woman walking down the street with a cigarette dangling out of the corner of her mouth. It is a nasty disgusting habit! My mother smoked even when she had to use a oxygen tank in the end to breathe, plus it stinks and is expensive. And No, I am not a smoker, never have been but my sister does and it makes me sick.

3. Jenna M. (UK) says

‘Twas on a Jenny McCarthy thread, Oriana. Analise was having a little hissy fit about how Jenny and her partner had given their son autism by vaccinating him. I happenned to disagree with her and she went a little hysterical on me 😉

I don’t understand? When was Jenna supposed to say anything about Autism? I don’t remember reading anything like that? I do think if there was any doubt or proof that vaccines caused it, the medical field would be up in arms and it would be all over CNN.

5. Jenna M. (UK) says

Furthermore, how the hell am I an autism enabler? Did you not investigate the links i gave you before, THERE IS NO CREDIBLE EVIDENCE TO SUGGEST THAT VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM! So get off your high-horse. Even if their was, I and most good parents would rather have an autistic child than one that DIED from preventable diseases because they weren’t vaccinated.

You made yourself sound like a complete fool when you said “you must be friends with Jenna” . If you’d read the posts properly (IE, not just reading what you want), you’d see I completely disagreed with the person you were addressing!

6. Jenna M. (UK) says

Analise, firstly, you need to drop your grudge with me because its just pathetic and chidish.

Secondly, read my posts before you criticise them. I NEVER ADVOCATED DRINKING DURING PREGNANCY! Read: “Would you give a newborn baby a glass of wine? I would think (and certainly hope) not. Drinking during pregnancy isn’t much different.” How does that come across as advocating drinking? I mean, are you completely thick or just reading what you want to read?

I said that I would never drink during pregnancy, and that it is not a good idea period. However, and I stand by this, the occasional small glass of wine is not as bad as smoking, drug-taking or getting drunk during pregnancy. The lesser of two evils if you like.

7. Analise says

Good for her! One should NEVER dye their hair when pregnant. Some are just too selfish to get it. And they’ll say, like JULIE, “oh my kids turned out fine”. Yeah, but you took a risk. Better safe than sorry. You must be friends with Jenna here. The big autism enabler.

8. Nikita says

OMG….Nicole is sooooo cute when she’s pregnant! I love this pic…Now only if she would stay that way!

9. kimmy says

OMG- you are an idiot. I don’t take serious advice from someone that can’t spell. It’s sacrifice not sacrafice.

She looks healthy to me and I think they are a happy couple. As long as that lasts she should stay on the right track, she may turn out to be a very good mother.

11. OMG, Idiot! says

Live life while pregnant, unable to sacrafice 9 months of your pathetic life, sounds like your TOTALLY ready to be a responsible unselfish parent!

BTW this is in response to the alcohol while pregnant, I don’t care if you want to look like a freaking fake barbie doll for your husbands!

12. kimmy says

Anything you do while pregnant can be a potential hazard. Just because I’m pregnant can I not got to the gas pump anymore because I’ll be inhaling fumes? Or how bout talking on a cell phone? Those have radiation as do microwaves. Julie is absolutely right.. and smart. You go girl! You have to live life.

13. dori says

punky got a new name again? new name same garbage.
    Nicole looks very healthy She must be taking care of herself !

14. Denise says

If everyone took every piece of advice the all the dr’s say they would spend the entire 9 months sitting at home in one space on the couch never talking to anyone or doing everything. You can have your hair highlighted while pregnant and if you don’t its just an excuse to be lazy and look like crap.

15. sara says

Well, I think sacrificing 9 months of Vanity and “habits” are worth it. I have 3 and didn’t risk anything….maybe you’d call me old fashion or just plain “scared”. But God forbid if I did something internally/externally that could have caused the problem, I couldn’t live with myself. I don’t believe everyone has all the answers…each pregnancy can differ.

16. Jenna M. (UK) says

I have to say though that the occasional light drink during pregnancy is nowhere near on a par with people who get drunk, smoke or even take hard drugs during pregnancy. My mum had the occasional glass of wine while pregnant with my brother and sister and it didn’t do them any harm (still, I wouldn’t risk it with my own kids). It makes me sick when I see a heavily pregnant women walking down the street with a cigarette in her mouth.

I used to go to school with a girl who carried on smoking cannabis and getting drunk every weekend when she got pregnant. Her excuse was that her own mum had used heroin when pregnant with her and she “turned out fine”.

17. Jenna M. (UK) says

JJ – it isn’t about Victorian puritanism, its about sacrificing your own happiness for the health of your child. Would you give a newborn baby a glass of wine? I would think (and certainly hope) not. Drinking during pregnancy isn’t much different.

I’m also shocked at your grandmother’s irresponsibility. Giving a baby brandy, even a few drops, to the point where they “calm down” or even go to sleep, is just intoxicating it. You know that feeling of being drunk? Imagine how scary that would be for a helpless child. I would hope if somebody did that nowadays they would have their kids taken off them. Its just like that couple I read about in England who gave their baby girl methadone to keep her quiet.

18. DMITZ says

Oops, forgot to comment on Nicole. She looks so cute in this picture. She also looks healthier and I hope she is enjoying her pregnancy.

19. DMITZ says

My doctor told me it was okay after the 1st trimester to dye my hair. I highlighted my hair twice during my pregnancy and everything was just fine. I think it’s more of an old wives tale (IMO). People also say the same about getting your nails done at a salon.

20. Lacy says

i’m supposing that is why nicoles roots aren’t dyed. it doesn’t look as if she had any dye touch her scalp.

21. Danica says

Nicole looks great! She really does look pretty. And about the hair dye, I have heard that you are only supposed to stay away from it in the first trimester but after that it should be fine.

22. JJ says

Yeah I agree with #4… people need to relax about not having their hair dyed while pregnant…what’s the big deal? And as for having a few sips of wine will pregnant – no big deal either. In fact, my grandmother used to give her children a few drops (NOT GLASSFULS) of brandy in their milk when the infants were quieted them down and in some cases even put them to sleep. In Italy and other Mediterranean cultures – consuming alcohol while pregnant isn’t as shocking as people find it in North America. Lighten up people, don’t be such Victorian puritans!!

23. OMG, Idiot! says

Yeah and don’t forget to smoke a joint 2 times a day the entire 9 months of pregnancy, your baby will come out just like you!

24. **s says

Nicole is beautiful in this pic. Healthier than I”ve seen in awhile. Hope she is a good mom. BTW-they say its healthy for a pregnant woman to have a glass of wine once a week in the last trimester.

25. KT says

I agree with #4Julie…Plus, I am pregnant with my second child and i highlight my hair, which is one way that the dye doesn’t touch the scalp and you cannot absorb chemicals through your hair so I am not worried. Plus look at Gwen Stefani. That platinum blonde is not natural and I never saw her have roots while she was pregnant. Kingston looks fine to me….American Medical Association recommends a lot things that people don’t follow. The WHO recommends brestfeeding until 2 years and not everyone does, so that’s life. we all make our own choices…

26. Julie says

I have two perfectly healthy twins as a matter of fact. I’m also a labor and delivery nurse and have had discussions at length with OB’s and maternal fetal medicine physicians about these topics. So, #5, do you have some information for me that may be more accurate than I already have?

27. OMG, Idiot! says

Wow Julie how did your kids turn out? Let me guess you haven’t had any yet. And just how exactly WM do you dye your hair without letting the chemicals touch your scalp?

28. Julie says

Ok, it’s equivalent to 1 to 4 cigarettes during the entire pregnancy?????? That’s ridiculous. Anyone living near a metropolitan area will breathe in WAY more than that just walking out the door during the first week of pregnancy! Nicole, go ahead and dye your hair if you want to! You can even have an occassional (gasp!) glass of wine too!!! People really need to relax.