Catherine Zeta-Jones On Telling Michael Douglas, "I cannot live without having children."

Catherine Zeta-Jones

Actress Catherine Zeta-Jones has been winning audiences over since her sexy role in 1998’s The Mask of Zorro. Now a married mom of two, Catherine talked to Parade about balancing her career with family, and the one thing that could have ended her relationship with actor Michael Douglas. Read excerpts below:

On the importance having children had in her early relationship with Michael:
“…There was one thing I had to be sure of. I turned to Michael and said, ‘Do you really want children?’ And I thought, for one minute, he was going to say, ‘I already have a son, Cameron, and I would have to say goodbye. I remember saying defiantly, ‘I cannot live without having children.’ And he went, ‘Me too.'”

On why she’s not a screamer:
“Michael and I have been married seven years. I’ve known him nine years. We’ve never screamed at each other. We disagree, yeah, but we never shout…I did the screaming thing before. It doesn’t work. I’ve realized hat you can actually say what you need to say. People can tell from the tone of my voice. And my kids know when I raise my finger or do ‘the eyes’ that I mean it.”

On not living in Hollywood:
“I’ve been told that it’s not good for business, but at the end of the day, I’d sacrifice career so my children can go to school without the paparazzi pestering them.”

On how her career has changed:
“When I first came to the States, it was like I’d do anything. I had not a ruthless but a nice kind of ambition….At this point in my life, I actually have a life. If I’m going to do a film, it’s got to mean something to my heart.”

She rocks!

Source & Parade magazine

1. Diana says

classy, class, classy! Love her for not dying her beautiful black hair to be another bleach blond in the crowd.

say something negative about this old lass, the posters(zeta herself?) claim you’re jealous of her. That has always been jonesie’s defense. Got to give her one thing, she is smart and calculative, set for life.

3. hunky jim says

4. juli says

#16 and #17 jealousy,jeolousy and jealousy!
    catherine is a talent and smart lady with a beautiful face and great body,her childeren are very cute ,too.

5. Natai Zap says

What a bragger, I can’t stand zeta jone .She was on the cover of Insyle and the whole article is about how many houses she has and bragging about all her material things she has. Can’t stand her husband and it funny to see him try so hard to keep up. Face lift and all as if he can even keep up with any person 20 years younger then him. Can’t stand to see a man be a better father to his 2nd family and a crappy father to his 1st. Not a fan..

One hecka smart lady. In the land of nubile hollywood, she would have had an expiration date. Not much of an actress as well. Her life is set with Hollywood royalty now, and more kids ensure more retirement benefits. Better to be an old man’s darling than a young man’s slave. Plain Jones from the Welsh projects then to now keeping up with Zeta Joneses. You decide!

7. Nicki says

She has always been beautiful, and after having her children she is even more beautiful. I have always loved CZ-J, since that surfing movie(??Blue “something, or something”) before she was anyone, besides a beautiful face. And just like Michelle Phieffier(sp) she always will be.
    Has anyone been to celeb baby blog and seen Michelle P.”s daughter who is 13 or 14 now??? She is so beautiful. Claudia is a beautiful child. (I remember mean and hateful things said about her when she was a baby…Shame on anyone who said those things…)

8. limanio says

My GOSH!this lady is timeless,she looks great always,and her kids are soooooooooooo lovely,carys zeta is a one classy baby!

9. omid says

There is nothing better than a smart,classy and beautiful lady and czj is one smart,classy and beautiful lady.GOD bless she and her cut kids.