Mariska Hargitay & Family At Disneyland

Sorry…images removed.Mariska Hargitay (who stars in Law & Order: Special Victims Unit) and husband Peter Hermann attended the Disney/Pixar Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage re-opening ceremonies at Disneyland on Sunday in Anaheim, CA with their 11-month-old son August.

Mariska, 43, recently wrote an article for The Huffington Post titled “Sexual Violence and Illuminating the Road to Health and Happiness.” Mariska is purportedly a big supporter in seeing an end to violence and abuse in this lifetime.

Now I have to briefly vent: Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is ridiculous for someone to be a part of a show that glorifies violence and everything horrible, and then claim to be a supporter of ending violence. The thing is, I have never actually watched any shows of the genre including shows like Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and CSI. I have however been subjected to commercials for these disgusting shows inadvertently. Just viewing the commercials feels like an assault. How can people watch these shows? I know I’ll catch a lot of flack for saying this, but that’s fine.

Despite my above grievance, these pics are adorable and best wishes to Mariska and her family!

1. Maegers says

Just a note to add to the above comments, but If you think that shows like SVU and such glorify violence, then don’t blogs like yours glorify the invasion of the lives of celebrities and their children. Think about it. You post photo after photo of children of celebrities, thus incouraging an industry that hounds, and sometimes physically damages people and their children.
    So really, you take away people’s right to privacy, safety, and the liberty to act as they will without judgement.

Just.. making a point.
    Don’t be a jackass.

2. christy says

I have to disagree, and not just because I am a fan. You are entitled to your opinion, but I feel it is ignorant to say that any show glorifies sexual assault and violence.

Just like any drama, SVU tells a story and through the show MH received many responses of people who were touched by her character and told her their stories of how they were affected as a result.

I feel that you should know that after such a response, Mariska wanted to be educated on the matter and is certified as a counselor.

There are many celebrities out there that are affected by one cause or another and try to bring light to it to gain awareness and education and funding to support programs in the communities.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that but I also feel that when making comments in a public environment you should be careful as to what you say. Television shows don’t always have a negative imact. Telling a story is not glorifying any certain topic.

Take care.

I only wait that if Mariska to arrive to read commentary so been improper nonsense and if does not feel discouraged in its beautiful work to help to the people victims of the sexual violence. One sees as soon as the author of so unhappy commentary never asistiu the SVU nor neither knows the workmanship social of Mariska. But asim is same. Ningúem is unamimity and negative people will always exist, of critical poor spirit and always made use criticarm exactly that esas is total baseless, as in this case. But if it does not worry Mariska, “the dogs bark but the caravan passes.”

4. kristin says

These shows (especially Law & Order SVU) help to bring the uglier side of humanity to society’s attention. While its certainly gruesome being exposed to such violent crimes, shows such as these help take the stigma away from rape and other crimes. Also, the psychological trauma experienced by the victims is portrayed, along with the value of reporting such crimes and seeking help without shame. Instead of feeling alone and humiliated, women are encouraged to respect and value themselves, which is as good as it gets!

5. Ekaterina says

If you have not watched Law and Order than you should not be commenting on it. Seriously. It in no way glorifies violence nor shows it in the manner the webmistress’ and the above comments suggests. Frankly, what disgusts me about these comments is that the nightly news shows far worse content. Look ina newspaper or online, people. There is far worse violence out there and unfortunately it’s a fact of life. At least Mariska and her colleagues are doing something to try and end. And that is in no way hypocritical. If you feel so strongly, why not get involved and contact a congressman or senator? Going after a tv show is a waste of time and ridiculous, especially a tv show that educates people in the manner it does without glorifying or exploiting violence.

6. Kay says

Amen!! Thank you so much for stating the very words that I said when I heard she was about ending violence. Seemed a bit strange to me to promote violence in your line of work and yet preach against it in your personal campaigns.

I am so disturbed by the commercials that we are subjected to when we are watching a perfectly appropriate show for our family – it is very frustrating! You can have a show about law and order but you don’t have to show the “blood and guts” and other vile things to make it realistic. How about she advocates concerning the gruesome scenes her show airs?

Good show, Good character she is playing!

Good mother and love her hairstyle!

The baby is a cutie!

8. NAC says

The character that she plays on TV is part of a unit dedicating to fighting violence. Just because a show talks about violence doesn’t mean it glorifies. For many of the topics, it brings public awareness to a large problem that affects all of us, even when we don’t know it. Facts might be better before you pass judgement in life.

9. MELISSA says

I’m so disgusted by “webmistress'” comments. First of all, Try watching the show before you open your mouth and insert your foot.

After years of therapy, I am ok with saying that I am a rape victim. and it was the worst thing I have ever been through. But because of people just like the character that Mariska portrays, I am proud to say that they helped me heal, and bring my attacker to justice. So many women are AFRAID to come forward because of how they will be seen. and it took a dedicated woman police officer to help me see through my cloud of pain, and help me make the decisions I did to bring the attacker to justice.

Law & Order: SVU is a POWERFUL show. I will admit, sometimes it is hard for me to watch. My husband has often asked me why do I watch it considering what I have been through. and I tell him the truth. Because it reminds me that there is hope and justice in this world. sometimes it doesn’t always work out that way, but you can always see these people working towards that and fighting for people who can’t fight for themselves.

10. fifi trooper says

Did you really just move the pictures, because you were getting the third degree on how ignorent you sound? HMMMMMMMM,
    if you never watch the show, then you really can’t pass judgement! I think, that the show is a representation of what’s life out here in the real world is about! If, we keep sugar coating the world’s issues then, we will never change for the better! We need to know what it is that makes the world tick, so we can defuse it! BYE-BYE!

11. fifi trooper says

12. jj says

To whom this “Babyrazzi” blog belongs to:

Education is POWER – in my book!
    Before you pass judgement on something you know nothing about, educate yourself first!

“Law and Order and other similar type shows – Do Not Glory Violence” – repeat after me:

“They educate the masses about what kind of heinous activities exist in our society” …rinse and repeat!

I happen to enjoy shows and movies depicting criminal investigations and law and forensic science…are you to assume that I condone violence and all criminally-related offences as a result of my interest. That would basically imply that every one who watches these shows has a criminal mind.

It would also suggest that you have a peanut for a brain and live in the land of Strawberry Shortcake…before I pass judgement on you – rethink your statement and educate yourself about the show. Or forever keep your peace and don’t say a word.

13. Canada eh.. says

Congratulations Mariska, you have a beautiful baby boy; he’s simply gorgeous. Just like his mother.
    keep up the good work on SVU, it’s a great show.

14. fifi trooper says

thank you! the show is sooooo good! Webmistress, I don’t understand you! You, talk about these shows that you’ve never seen, but you let this racist stuff that is said about Heidi Klum baby stays! Why?

15. JJ says

beautiful woman! definitely a”Catherine Zeta Jones type” of stunning beauty…her baby has amazing eyes!

16. carleigh says

I love Mariska and am an avid follower of Law and Order: SVU. I think it is an informative show and it deals with the delicate subject of rape and violent crimes against women, at the time you are watching this show, you can also learn a great deal about sexual predators in the world we live in today! I think her performance is both sensitive and very moving, she’s a great actress and the show is well written and thought provoking. August is a completely adorable child and he has such beautiful eyes! His grandparents would be so proud of him!

17. Ekaterina says

You should really not have said anything about those shows since you have never watched them. SVU has made rape much less taboo than it originally was and helped a lot of women deal with. That is why Mariska is so involved in violence awareness, because she got so many emails and letters from woman seeking her help after seeing the show. Seriously, you sound not only ignorant but offensive about such an amazing show and actress. Next time, do your research before you say something.

18. alicia says

awww look at those family!!! hes such a cutie!!! just like my godson!!!!!!! loved those how mariska looks.

19. Essie says

August is a really pretty little boy!!! Beautiful eyes.

Those Law & Order shows aren’t really that violent. The murder/rape/beating usually takes place in the beginning of the show and isn’t shown. They are good shows but I don’t watch much anymore, but I do like them when I see them.

He is a beautiful baby… He stands out like Baron Trump I think.
    Love the shoes too!:)

Webmistress, if u havent watched any of the shows, u should not make any comments. It relates to what is going on in the world today and certainly does not glorify violence.If u had to think about everything like that, you would be hopelessly sad.Plus, its a tv show! I think YOUR statements above were ridiculus.

21. Zbella says

Webmistress, since you have never watched the show, you should not judge it. I am a HUGE fan of Law & Order: SVU. It stants for Special Victims Unit. She plays a police officer fighting against sexual crimes and crimes against children. What could send a better message? I don’t let my kids watch it as preschoolers, but it is a great show for adults.

I tried watching CSI but to me that show is gross. They try to make the stories as shocking as possible and it’s all glamour and glitz. Law & Order makes people think about issues like child abuse & sexual abuse. They are not all uplifting, but they are important issues.

I love little August and beautiful Mariska. He is looking a lot like her recently.

22. minkysmom says

the shoes are so cute! I don’t think the show glorifies violence, sure it is violent but the main purpose of the story is about olivia (mariska) coming to terms with her own mother’s rape while being a rape advocate herself. she feels compassion for the victims and treats them with the respect they didn’t have at the time they were violated. it is a wonderfully written show focusing on this strong woman and the beautiful friendship she has with her partner.

23. Deborah says

The show deals with issues prevalent in today’s society. The issues that she wrote about are the very issues that Mariska’s character fights against on the show. The show does not “glorify violence and everything horrible.” Perhaps you should educate yourself on topics before you begin spewing off about them. You make yourself look ignorant.

24. fifi trooper says

well, stop watching it! and it’s just a show! I swear, if you be up in arms like that……you probably won’t live that longer! calm down, and take a breather!

25. fifi trooper says

First! i love those shoes! they look very comfortable! I like that she’s out with her family! I think that it is romantic, and ideal! Cudos to Mariska!