Tom Brady Opens Up About Preparing For Fatherhood

Bridget Moynahan

“It’s going to be a challenge,” Tom, 29, says of impending fatherhood in the June/July issue of Details. “I guess that late at night, I’m not so much scared as thinking of it as a huge unknown.”

Brady is expecting his first child this summer with actress Bridget Moynahan, 35 – with whom he split in December after three years together.

“I want to prepare for it the way I do everything else in my life,” he tells Details. “I make lists. I make plans. But being a father is different. I think that people go into it and find out, holy s—, I have no control.”
Tom, who is now dating Gisele Bundchen, says “I’m attracted to women who are smart and funny and ambitious and have lives of their own and great families. Isn’t that what attracts anyone?” he says.

“People want to go out and travel around and meet cool people. I could just go live in Vermont, but is that what I really want?”

Tom, who often keeps low-profile, doesn’t appreciate all the media attention he has received for dating Gisele Bundchen while facing fatherhood with his ex. “It doesn’t affect anyone but me anyway,” he says, “so why is it a big deal?”

Tom said he and Bridget Moynahan know the sex of their baby but he isn’t about to tell everyone just yet.

Comments

1. WENDY says

ALL YOU LADIES SOUND ABSOLUTELY MORONIC!! YES, THEY GOT PREGNANT AND YES THEY ARE NOT MARRIED. WHO IS NOWADAYS? WHO WANTS TO “GET MARRIED FOR THE BABY?” NO MATTER THE CONSEQUENCES. AND AS FOR WHAT WAS SAID ABOUT HIM NOT TAKING THE FULL BRUNT OF THE RESPONSIBILITY BECAUSE HE WON’T BE THERE FOR MIDNOGHT FEEDINGS.. WHAT MAN REALLY EVER IS? MEN WHO CAN BOLT UPRIGHT IF THEIR WIFE OR GIRLFRIEND SO MUCH AS WHISPER AND THEY SLEEP RIGHT THROUGH THE BABY SCREAMING. AS A WOMAN WHO WAS A SINGLE MOTHER OF 3 FOR 10 YEARS, I THINK THAT TOM IS BEING VERY RESPONSIBLE AND IF ALL YOU MALE BASHING WOMAN CAN’T GET OFF YOUR PEDISTALS, THEN MAYBE YOU JUST NEED TO SHUT UP AND GET LAID!! LEAVE THE MAN TO HIS LIFE. HOW CAN HE BE A GOOD DAD IF YOU ALL ARE SETTING HIM UP TO FAIL? ITS NOT LIKE HE DOESN’T KNOW THE MEANING OF RESPONSIBILITY. TRAING CAMP STARTS SOON AND HE’S GOT TO HANDLE THAT TOO. YOU THINK THAT SHE IS GOING TO STOP WORKING FOREVER OR NOT MOVE ON WITH HER LIFE? IF YOU THINK THAT, YOU DEFINATELY ARE A MORON. TO YOU TOM AND BRIDGET, GOOD LUCK AND CONGRADULATIONS. NEWBORNS ARE TRYING BUT THEY ARE SO WORTH IT. AND NO MATTER WHAT PEOPLE SAY, GOD CREATED ALL CHILDREN AND PLACES THEM WITH THE PEOPLE HE KNOWS WILL LOVE THEM.. AND NO, THERE IS NO WAY TO OCCUPY A 2 WEEK OLD WHEN THEY WANT TO GET UP AND BE GROWN UPS.. I KNOW, I TRIED..

2. K says

OH MY!!! What a piece of work he is. As if he will have anything to do w/ baby but every other weekend visit. He wont be there every night at 3 am when baby wakes up crying, he wont be changing diapers (The nanny will) etc. He is such a CAD =(

3. Xenafan96 says

What an inane, vapid person Tom Brady is. Sure, he will be busy with his sports career and won’t get to be there all the time for the baby, but he is not playing now. He is missing out on SO much. Babies bond with Mommy and Daddy in the womb, and having that bond and knowing your baby knows you before you meet face to face is such a joy, a joy he doesn’t really even seem focused on. Sometimes relationships don’t work out, but there is this new life coming into the world, totally innocent, and that baby deserves to have a full time dad. I am finding this guy to be unbelievable in his cold shoulder tactics he seemed to have taken. IMO, his new girl seems to be pulling his strings, and as a father, he needs to be a man and put his foot down.
    **James- Thank you for your male perspective, we don’t get alot of that here. I was raised by a single father and any real man would step up for the love of his child. I totally agree with your comment. People in the public eye DO influence how we look at situations. Glad to know good, decent men such as yourself still exist. That is something I wish that Bridget and her baby had to rely on!! 🙂

4. JANICE says

Actually, I don’t think he is trying to step up now. If you read the entire Details article, he certainly does not look like father of the year. And I have read nowhere of him making ANY effort towards Bridget and his unborn child. He has not even mentioned Bridget’s name – like she is a non-entity vessel for the baby.

He hasn’t even been in the same city as Bridget for about 4 months, so he certainly hasn’t been doing any ultrasound visits! I think he probably learned of the baby’s sex back in February before the announcement, and he’s using that little tidbit to make it look like he has some involvement. But I’m not buying it. I’m still waiting to be convinced, and I think I will be waiting a long time.

5. Christianna-Grace says

I think everyone needs to back off from calling Tom Brady such horrible names. Sure he hasn’t done the right thing and been with his child’s mother but he is trying to step up now. Someone should give him credit for that, at least he is trying now. I’m sure he will do his part adn to the best of his ability, and calling him a “shitbag” and “loser and jerk”. Wow, do you even know this guy? It seems that your judging him on a few articles and a few photos taken by people who like to make the celebrities look bad. Thats great. I’m glad people are judging people they don’t even know. I’m sure Tom will make a good father, even if he isn’t married to his child’s mother. Just because his relationship fell apart and he moved on quickly doesn’t make him a horrible father. How do we know if he knew or not if she was pregnant before he broke up with her? Do we know every aspect of their relationship and lives? I really doubt that. How can you people judge him based on the information the media gives you? I find it disgusting how you think you know Tom Brady and his relationship. I think you should all take a step back and look at the whole situation before you go and judge a man that none of us know, personally.

I think he will be a perfectly fine father and we should just give him a break.

6. Huh? says

Besides, babies need routine and often have a hard time sleeping in strange cribs. Tom will be so busy with football and Gisele that he will definitely be a stranger to the baby. I doubt he will get over night visits the first year.

7. Huh? says

By the time the baby will be old enough to go away for the night, it will be sleeping through the night. By abandoning Bridget and the baby, he has placed all of the responsibility at her feet. I doubt Tom will spend too many nights worrying about his child. Gisele will see to that.

8. Yeah right???? says

Tom does not live with Bridget. How is he going to stay up at night with the baby. The baby will be born at the beginning of the season and Tom will not be able to fly to California very much. Bridget will certainly not fly the baby to him. Babies have very sensitive ears and I doubt she would risk that. She will probably breast feed as well. So exactly when is Tom going to stay up at night to help Bridget and the baby. I doubt she will be letting him do sleep overs. What a stupid comment.

9. yeah right says

I think you guys are missing the point. *gasp* what if he took the baby during the night as well. Just because a woman carries the baby for 9 months does not mean the father cant stay up with it at night either. What a stupid sterotype. It takes two to make a baby, and either two can do an equal job at taking caring of it.

10. Elle says

Yes! I, TOO, have lost ALL respect for TOM BRADY! He has to be The Loser of The Century thus far and I’m not talking about Football! Also, Gisele has to have a whole lot of space between her ears and in her heart, as well, to continue dating/having sex/globe-trotting with a Man who is about to be a Father with his former LONG TERM girlfriend! Gisele and Tom may possibly be Perfect for one another! They are BOTH possibly the most Self-Centered People walking and sleeping around today! So glad they found one another just in time to reveal to us all what Losers they really are!!! No more Patriot Games in this house!!! No Thank YOU, Tom!!!

11. JANICE says

I don’t think it’s fair to blame Bridget for not recognizing Tom’s true nature. I mean – come on – she was obviously in love. I think many of us have been in relationships where things were going great and the man’s was very, very good… but when he wanted out, he suddenly became horrid. Maybe there were a few hints at his real self, but when you are in love, you tend to excuse them. Tom seemsnot to have become an obvious a**hole to Bridget until November – but a non-obvious one a bit earlier when he put Bridget in the position of maybe NEVER having a child by resisting her getting pregnant for so long.

So I do see Bridget as innocent in all this. I think she was blind-sided by Tom’s sudden change in affection. I can only surmise that Gisele came into the picture, or that Tom turned on Bridget when he found out she was pregnant.

12. James says

Brady says he has no control. Duh, that’s what got you into trouble in the first place! And the late night comment, that just has me ROFLMAO. When does he have time to think with Gisele next to him?

Do the right thing dude, don’t make us guys look like shit!

13. Zbella says

I agree with #3, #4 and #10 (also #20). Of course he’s 1/2 responsible for the creation of this child, and he’s taking 0 responsiblity. LOSER. FOOL. JERK.

14. alexis says

I GIVE UP…………..

You seem to be bridget’s best friend and you know her so intimately…….

I usually always read people comments with an open mind and enjoy looking at the pictures of the babies and the moms to be…..

I will never come back to this page again since people can speak their mind without being called names. There is entirely too much negative energy here. Men are constantly being bashed if we perceive them to be anything but perfect in how they accept fatherhood or don’t accept it………If she just found out now that he’s loser that really is a shame but it’s likely that she had some idea what type of man she was with prior to this happening. You keep telling yourself that she is completely innocent in all of this if it makes you feel better. I’m outta here PEACE!

15. I like you fifi trooper says

Ha Ha. I love it fifi trooper. You are so right. He is trying to save face and he has made himself look worse in the process. He is just another dumb jock.

16. fifi trooper says

Whatever! All of a sudden tom, wants to come out, and say these things! Where was he about 5 or 6 months ago! I think that he just don’t want to look bad in the media’s eye! He’s trying to fix his image, but to me he’s nothing, just another dumb jock, that happen to get lucky winning the superbowl! He’s nothing without that coach, or team!

17. Maddy says

The more I learn about this guy the less I like him. He sure sounds like a very self centered person. He definitely doesn’t sound excited to be a dad. I hope his baby never hears how he acted and treated his mom.

18. Anon says

Alexis,

“excuse me but until men can have babies we have to be the responsible one’s! Most of us knows when a relationship is on the rocks so unless it was a complete accident she should have been more careful!!!! ”

I think this is the most assinine statement I have read on this blog. I have 4 sons and I have drilled into their head that they are the ones responsible for birth control if they choose to have sex. Unless they are prepared to marry the mother, then they better make damn sure that they are protected.

Why do you have such low expectations for men anyway? I am sure that Bridget thought their relationship was doing just fine. Friends on both sides said things were great with them until right before the break up. She was already pregnant at this time. Most articles suggest that she was blind sided by the breakup. Why is the woman the only one who knows when a relationship is going bad??? That is so stupid. You make men sound like they are totally ignorant goats who have no clue whats going on and can’t take responsibility for anything. How the hell was she suppose to know that Tom was stepping out on her? How many married women have no clue that their husbands are unfaithful? MOST OF THEM HAVE NO CLUE. Your comments are so stupid.

I am sure that Tom was the ideal boyfriend. When you see pictures of them together he looks very happy and attentive. It seems his true colors are coming out ever since the breakup. She was in love with who she thought he was. He probably presented her with a wonderful image. She probably had no idea that he was a cheating and abandoning loser. So please grow up and quit expecting men to act like children with no clue whats going on.

19. ~*Miapocca*~ says

Relationships are like the rainbow..teh color spectrum is wide, we cannot tell every single thing except form the media and so far these two are mum..no one is talking…I congratulate them on that

However based on picture alone, brady hasnt looked too good. The timing of the pregnancy, new relationshp, break-up all point the bad finger at him….I glad for brigette , she will have a child, a gift to hold on to.

I dont believe in traps…thats the mindeset of a poor desperate woman..bridgette looks like she is strong enough to go it alone since she built her own career in show biz before this kid came along..if she was interested in trapping him, she had 3 yrs to so and she could have threatened all kinds of sucides and pyscho behaviour to hold on to him..but obviously she let him go and girl did what she had to do…I admire her already..

I think he will help support the child and take care of his/her physical needs. He won’t be a hands on father until the baby gets older, and even then he may not be all that involved. I personally don’t care for him, he seems very self centered to me and definately not ready to be in a settled relationship. Nope, don’t like him at all!

21. JJ says

Don’t know who this guy is and don’t like hime already.
    Based on his comments, he sounds like an arrogant prick, who doesn’t deserved to even see his child. I hope Brigette doesn’t give him any visitation rights…

22. alexis says

excuse me but until men can have babies we have to be the responsible one’s! Most of us knowswhen a relationship is on the rocks so unless it was a complete accident she should have been more careful!!!! by no means am I even insinuating that she should have had an abortion. As women we definitely have more than a clue when a relationship if in trouble. AGAIN to make statements as if we know these people personally is ridiculous and puting the blame on him is making it sound as if he had all the control in the relationship! and one more thing “anon” if he is as horrible as everyone makes him out to be then don’t you think she would have figured this out a long time again….I’m sure he didn’t turn into this monster overnight!!!!

23. carleigh says

Tom Brady is a first class ASS!!!!!!!! He should learn to keep his BIG mouth shut and his fly zipped up and he wouldn’t have these problems in his life. He hasn’t done one thing that I’ve seen for Bridget and it doesn’t appear that he has really absorbed the magnitude of responsibility that is going to be thrust upon his in the all-to-near future. He should just shut it!! The more he speaks the stupider he appears and the less sympathy people are going to have for him!

24. ~*Miapocca*~ says

Actually Brady said he had a CRUSH on Alicia Milano from charmed..who has a thing for big huge atheles, so I guess brady learned a few tricks from Giselle..disclose your crush in the media and viola you get your hearts desire..I have a feeling Alicia will make him tow the line, hahaha she is a little boss of a woman who knows what she wants in her men. A serial dater too.

Bridgette doesnt need to marry this guy. hopefully she will find the right someone to stand by her…there is a reason for everything , but there always a good reason for the pain…You just have to take the lessons and make the most of it. I cant imagine her getting back with Brady since Bridgette will defintely have felt some seriously painful emotions heightened by pregnancy and all, irrespective of how she got into that state

I also wish Brady luck and hope he knows whats he is doing and hopefully he can be a better father than partner. He already missed the first 9 months!!!

25. ~*Miapocca*~ says

Actually Brady said he had a CRUSH on charmeds Alcia Milano..who has a thing for biug huge atheles, so I gues she learned a few trick from Giselle..disclose your crush in the media and viola you get your hearts desire..I have a feeling Aalicia will mak ehim tow the line, hahahashe is a little boss of a woman who knows what she wants in her men. Aa serial dater too.

Bridgette doesnt need to mary this guy. hopefully she will find the right someone to stand by her…somethings we may cry over situation that seem soo painful, but there always a good reason for find yourself in the circumstance and its best to take your lessons and make the most of it. I cant imagine getting back with Brady since Bridgette will defintely have felt some seriously painful emotions heightened by pregnancy and all, irrespective of how she got into that state

26. N says

Anon #10 I agree…..Also, Giselle made a play for Tom when Bridget and him were still in a relationship. Saying she thought he was handsome an all-american boy…some one that she would like to date….comments made by her right after she and Leo broke up. He took the bait……

27. JANICE says

Anon # 10…I could not have said it any better. For people to suggest that only the woman is responsible for a baby, or that she should have an abortion if the man doesn’t want the baby, is repulsive. Is this where the sexual revolution has gotten us??? I want a re-write!

28. Anon says

Alexis,

For her to get pregnant was not very responsible???? What kind of moronic statement is that. I do believe Tom was there and bore some of the responsibility. She made the choice to have the baby???? Are you saying she should have chosen to not have the baby???? What does that statment mean???? It sounds like you are saying she could have chosen an abortion instead??? Besides, they were together when she got pregnant. They did not break up for another month and 1/2. We most certainly can dump on Tom. He broke up with Bridget because of Gisele. Both sides have confirmed he was with her the week after he and Bridget broke up. Bridget went to Miami a week later to try and patch things up and Tom treated her very cruelly. It was reported in a sports mag. Friends also confirmed that he knew she was pregnant at this time. So yes, by all means, we can dump on him. He left his long term girlfriend for another woman. He made absolutely no effort to work things out. Its not like this was a one night stand. He forced the decision on Bridget that she would be having this baby alone. This is despicable, selfish and immature and a disgrace to his family. He is a self proclaimed role model for kids and supporter of family values. But when push comes to shove, he is not willing to put his money where his mouth is and he bailed.

Read that article above. Not once does he mention he is excited to be a father. Not once does he mention anything about the health or well being of his child or its mother. That article show him as a totally self absorbed immature person who is more concerned about being in control, traveling and having sex with whoever he wants. Loser.

29. alexis says

I’m sure there were problems prior to them breaking up and for her to get pregnant was not very responsible. Since we don’t know the whole story why should we only dump on him? I think everyone sympathizes with her because she is pregnant but that doesn’t mean she is completely innocent. She made the choice to have the baby knowing she and Tom were no longer together and Tom can’t be held responsible for that. Hopefully he will step up now that he has no choice….for the baby’s sake.

30. Jean says

Preparing for fatherhood? Hmmm, don’t think I have seen any pictures of him and Bridget going to the OB/GYN, or helping out with the nursery. That is fatherhood! It begins way before a child is born!

What Tom Brady has been preparing for is how to make another child! with as many supermodels as he wants.

31. ellie says

Tess…but I believe in making a REAL EFFORT to see if the relationship can work. Tom moved on in a second, so obviously he did not think his child was worth the effort. How sad for Bridget and the baby…how selfish and thoughtless of Tom.

32. Tess says

#4- pretty much my thought. However, I do not believe in a couple being together just for a child.

33. ellie says

And don’t forget all those young New England fans who look up to Tom…and see it’s OK to knock up someone (a very lovely and long-term someone) and then not marry her. And don’t even get me STARTED on his selfish and thoughtless behavior with Gisele. Tom is already such a deadbeat dad, he doesn’t belong on a baby blog!

Poor Bridget…I stand in awe…

34. Think About It says

It doesn’t affect anyone but him? Excuse me, but what about Bridget, the baby and yes, even Gisele. Selfish.

35. JANICE says

Can’t wait to see that list .. I’m sure “marry Bridget so baby will not be a bastard and Bridget will not be a single mom” is not on it! Don”t think Gisele gave her permission to put THAT on the list. What a total loser of a man. Too nice a picture of him, Babyrazzi! Don’t you have something with horns? Or maybe a jackass’ tail?

36. Janie says

I no longer have any respect for Tom Brady. He is an idiot. Bridget will be the one taking care of the baby while he is running around the world with Giselle!

37. Lauren says

Oh please, like Tom is going to be bearing the full responsibility of this baby. Bridget is the one who will be there for the midnight feedings and the diaper changing.