Mary Cheney & Heather Poe Welcome A Son

Dick and Lynne Cheney pose with their newest grandchild.
Mary Cheney

Mary Cheney, 38, gave birth yesterday to her first child, Samuel David Cheney, whom she will raise with her longtime partner, Heather Poe.

The 8-pound 6-ounce boy is the sixth grandchild for Dick Cheney. The vice president and his wife, Lynne, both beaming, posed for a photo with him just hours after his 9:46 a.m. birth at Washington’s Sibley Hospital.

At an N.Y.C. forum sponsored by Glamour magazine last winter, Mary Cheney responded to questions, saying: “This is a baby. This is a blessing from God. It is not a political statement. It is not a prop to be used in a debate by people on either side of an issue. It is my child.” But she also went on to declare that “every piece of remotely responsible research” had demonstrated “no difference between children who are raised by same-sex parents and children raised by opposite-sex parents.”

Mary and Heather, a former park ranger, have been together for 15 years and live in Great Falls.

(I don’t mean this as a political statement in any way…I know to stay as far as I can away from stuff like that, but I think it is incredibly presumptuous to state that there is no difference between children who are raised by same-sex parents and children raised by opposite-sex parents!)

1. Kris says

Where are the photos of Mary and Heather with their new baby boy?! So much for the “family” photo.

Let’s stop talking about what God wants. God is a concept, no more, no less, as there is no physical evidence that God did ever, does now, or will ever exist. Some people believe in God. That’s fine, that’s a choice they are entitled to. However they are not entitled to force their morality on others whilst using this undefinable concept as a moral justification.

And to all those people who ‘have nothing against gays,but don’t think they should have kids because the kids get confused and picked on at school’…ask yourself this. If you changed your attitudes, lived and let live, and stopped telling your own kids and anyone else who would listen, that gay parents are wrong, don’t you think the problem would, you know, take care of itself?

Read what those brought up by same sex parents have to say – they’re the ones who really know.

3. stacey says

for fuck sake people, the child will be loved and cared for by its parents, whoever they are. isn’t that what matters? these two women have wanted this child for a long time and they will bring up this child in a loving and stable relationship. whoever thinks different then get in the times. lots of gay parents bring up children. I SAY CONGRATS TO MARY AND HEATHER. AND THEIR LITTLE BOY WILL BE PROUD OF HIS PARENTS.

4. carleigh says

Who cares if they are lesbians or not, this child was WANTED and obviously planned. If they are happy together and can financially sustain their family then they should be more than able to do this. I didn’t agree with the 60 y/o woman who went to extreme measures to give birth to the twin little boys because I believed it was wrong because she was past her “prime” so to speak. However, Heather and Mary are BOTH willing and quite able to provide this child with a wonderful, well-rounded life and any child would be lucky to have those things. He will have certain advantages that some children never have and most importantly he has not just ONE but TWO mommy’s who will shower him with all the love he will ever need.

5. LIBRAESQUE says

Kimmy, you’re doing what most un-educated, insecure people do when confronted with people with human experiences different from yours, you pull the ol’ lets agree to disagree…
    why? Because you can’t make a valid point or debate properly when faced with well educated, informed, well-rounded, worldly people

too bad for you

Ladies, (minus kimmy) I’m impressed!!!

6. ~*Miapocca*~ says

I believe all have the right to express an opionion irrespective of how bad or good it is without being called names..however you start the name calling , you deserve all you get for anyone on the boards..

But really , I thought we were living in the mellenium not way back when….

Enjoy your discussion..this is getting boring already

7. ~*Miapocca*~ says

Very funny..most research is based on someones idea of logic…so alhtough you can read a research paper and agree with the conclusion , you have to be critical of methods, conflict of interest and who is funding the research, methods, when and previous research

If the heritage foundation presented me with research on gay parents, I will just as well drink chlorine before reading what they wrote on the subject

Research makes sense , however its not an exact science and there limitations and mentioning in genral RESEARCH SAYS is a dead give away that the indivdual has no t read any of those resaerch papers but is extrapolating from thier mental model or what they have heard.

If you want to mention the specific research and reasons why its credible, then of course we might actually believe you also went and GOT A BOOK AND ACTUALLY READ IT

Try not to patronize ppl on this site, sometimes common sense an life experience can make a hell of a lot of sense on social issues…….

8. Tia says

Maus- I grew up in a Roman Catholic home..i was sent to catholic schools, went to church on sundays….all that stuff…i was never ever taught that being gay was wrong. We were taught that God loves each and everyone of us no matter what. Also, we were always taught that god never wrote the bible…or jesus for that matter. The old Testament was written by people who god supposedly spoke to….the new Testament was written by St.’s Matthew, Mark, and Luke

9. kimmy says

Ok- that’s cool. With your swearing and everything, I can tell you’re really the educated one.

10. Angelina says

It is not a matter of presumption, noneducated one. There is something called RESEARCH (psychologists like to do this) that is pretty conclusive that children raised by gay parents do just as well as those raised in traditional families. Some people like me (and Mary Chaney) prefer FACTS, whereas you just pull your opinions out of your ass, never having read a fucking book in your life. Get a clue!!!!

11. kimmy says

I’m getting attacked by all sides for my opinion and I don’t feel like I have to defend myself anymore. I don’t know any of you and I can talk until I’m blue in the face and it won’t do any good. So I think we all need to agree that we disagree. I think you are all a pack of wolves.

12. Jenna M. (UK) says

Kimmy, I am also studying Sociology, and Psychology in college and happen to personally KNOW several people who have been raised by same-sex parents. That is where I get my information thank you very much, nothing unfounded or presumptive there.

13. Maus says

I reckon the problem with the “Why did God make gay people” is that the extreme Christians believe that the devil has taken over in them and they need to repent in Jesus in order to go to Heaven. That makes sense when you hear them preach and try to convert you. It is amazing that people are so stuck in the fear of hell that they will do anything to defend their point of view as the truth. I grew up in a catholic environment and was too afraid to leave that church until I was well in my mid 20’s. I was at boarding school in a nunnery between 10 and 13 years of age and even at that age I could see that there was something wrong with what they were preaching compared to what they were doing!! Do as I say not as I do. Bunch of weirdos. The bible was not written by God or Jesus, but by people who had their own limited beliefs ruled by fear and by greed, as the bible is a prime example of how you can get a lot of control over people when you make them afraid of something. They’ll do anything not to be punished in the most extreme way. Something horrible luring at the time of death. Pretty clever these guys, if you ask me. And they still have a grip on so many millions of people all over the world. Bloody amazing. Jesus is looking down shaking his head, believe me. He never said he was to be worshiped and never wanted “Religion”. Nothing divine about religion. Jesus would not even think about judging the two ladies with the new baby. He is pure Love and that is what he wanted us to see. That is what he wanted us to be. No opinion, no judgment. Just acceptance, tolerance and Love. Rather easy, isn’t it? May be some day!!

14. Jen says

Kimmy – you keep criticizing people for giving opinons, not facts – then your defense is “you’re criticising me for my opinon!!!!!!!!!”

Can you please pick one? Oh, and while you’re at it, if YOU have any facts, that would be appreciated also.

15. Tia says

Sarah-Jane, what you said about god making gay people is sooo true! I believe that if these two people love eachother and give this child a loving home, then GOOD FOR THEM! What difference does it make? I went to high school with a girl who had two moms. She grew up just fine and is now married with a baby on the way!

Kimmy, beliefs are yours and yours alone… Everyone has different beliefs in some respect… But saying they have no morals etc, is rubbish! They may be gay but that doesnt mean they kill, steal etc… All moral-based! It may not be toyour beliefs but to call them immoral for wanting to give a child a home is complete rubbish!

Why shouldnt they?

And as or god intending a man and a woman, then why did he make people gay anyway? It is not a choice, whatever you may think… and No im not gay, im a heterosexual mother of 2 gorgeous girls!

And as for you having nothing in common with them? What a pile of ****! Thats outrageous! They want to be parents… So are you! Thats one thing that I can be sure you have in common! As far as I can see, the only thing you probably dont have in common is your preference for which sex you fall in love with!

Something completly beyond your control!

17. kimmy says

Wow! I’m a fool now? Well, I’m glad I never had to debate you in college because it would be really easy to do. Resorting to calling someone a fool for stating the way they feel is so childish. You should be really proud Miapocca. No wonder our beliefs are so different. Me- a class act, you- tacky.

18. ~*Miapocca*~ says

I actually thought the last zbella comment made sense to me…

Just state your opinion and go away fool..

19. Zbella says

S.O. means significant other. Like spouse, only gay people cannot get married in all 50 states. Anyway, if you are not a homophobic, you certainly don’t know any gay people very well if you think you have nothing in common with them. We have a lot in common – including the desire to be a parent.

I say Lucky Baby, this child will be cherished, educated, well taken care of and in a stable environment.

I personally wish them good luck and much happiness, I certainly can’t judge anybody for whatever lifestyle, I believe in the Ten Commandents but the Bible does say that He that is Without Sin cast the First Stone, I don’t live in a Glass house and I haven’t seen any pictures of Mary rolling around on the floor without any underwear on so I say she already has the upper hand on a lot of women (skanks) out there!!!!!

21. N says

Homophobia is the “irrational fear of”, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals.

Sodom and Gomorrah is what ” I think” about when kimmy mentioned God’s dislike.

Although I believe God dislikes “SIN” and no “SIN” is greater than another…

Thats why I try not to judge and try to live my life the best I can.

🙂 Have a nice Holiday weekend……of course in the USA.

22. kimmy says

Libraesque- When did I ever say anything about being close friends with a gay person? What if I wasn’t friends with them because we had nothing in common? Ever thought of that? No, you didn’t because you have this one tract mind about me hating gay people, which by the way I never said. Second of all, no, you didn’t give me a correct definition of homophob, probably because you don’t truly know what that disease is. And as far as the last part- what is an S.O? If you mean abortion, how the heck did we get on that topic? And what does that have anything to do with what we’re debating? And by the way, don’t get me started on that topic because I can bring a lot of points to the table with my pro-life stance. If you’re trying to debate with me, I’m probably a lot older and wiser than you so don’t even try it.

23. ~*Miapocca*~ says

OH MY GOSH..its Malayka criticizing someone on the way thier sexual orientiation and life choices…why not direct that critism to your gay midget, who is being UNFAIR by marrying a woman and rasing children when he is GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hahhahahhah

24. ~*Miapocca*~ says

Xena get to a 1000..we jus thave to rie the narrow minde dfolks on here..that will get them going..LOL dont have the energy for it though, I have along weekend and I intend to enjoy it at full blast..ahahah

If I croak in the meantime I think the green burial is the way to go…hopefully I will go smiling in a colony og gay parents frolicking in a naked paradise with thier beautiful children ahahahhahahaha

oh not to mention I would like to go having sex rather an orgy..with every imaginable sex …now I guess that will do it for the narrow minded FOLKS…..Catch up on you rreading folk, the third sex and homosexuality has existed in many different cultures even before Christ arrived…….. ahhahahah ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMA0

hmmmthe presumptions of straight folk…thinking they are better because they spread it for the opposite sex…talk about about sheer nonsense ahahhah..we never learn…next it will be the oddity of interracial marriage..ahahhaha

25. Libraesque says

I’ll give you a definition of HOMOPHOBIA, which is what we’re discussing here
    so what you’re saying is you believe only men and women should be together, but you’re what….friends with gay people??? I don’t understand exactly what you’re trying to say here

And if you can give me even ONE case where a lesbian couple has MURDERED their pregnant S.O, more power to ya

26. kimmy says

Thank you N. All of you uneducated people should start listening to N. She’s really smart and she gets my point, which is not that hard to get. Libraesque- you still didn’t give me a correct defintion of the word phobia honey. If you’re going to call me a homophob at least know what it means.

27. Miapocca says

Who gives a shit..striaght people are stuck in some horrid marriages with some seriously negative emotional consequences for the childrens being raised in those fucked up unions…so what is two ppl of the same sex have kids…single mothers raise kids with their own mother what

I n the long run as long as the child is in an emotionally secure atmosphere they should be fine….

VIVA LES GAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. KT says

Hey if Dick Cheney can accept that his lesbian daughter and her partner can raise a child together then I don’t see why any of you are complaining. That man is one of the most conservative right wing A**h**** out there! He scares me!

29. kimmy says

libraesque- just because I don’t agree with the lifestyle you call me a homophob? What happened to free opinions and the right to think the way I want? Do you know what the word phobia means? It means such a deep fear that you actually have physical symptoms. Gimme a break! Not agreeing or adapting to ones lifestyle is hardly me being deathly afraid of them. I don’t go thru life resisting to talk to gay people. You are the one that sounds uneducated right now and just plain stupid! You are all lame! The same preaching that you typical liberals preach about being tolerant makes you all look like hypocrites. It’s ok for you to have your opinion, but it’s not ok for other people to have theirs, unless of course they agree with you, huh? Morons.

30. libraesque says

Now you’re making the outrageous statement that homosexuals have no morals?

This couple has been together for FIFTEEN YEARS

31. libraesque says

OH! BRAVO Barb, excellent comment

Kimmy, you sound extremely un-educated
    Trying to mask your homophobia the way you are is very transparent, and “hiding” behind God is just lame

32. kasey says

Congrats to the whole family!
    And shame on the author! Every baby is a blessing and as long as that baby is born into a loving family (which it def seems like he has) then everyone should be happy for the new parents. Who cares if the parents are two women? As long as the parents love him and provide for him, that is all that matters!!

Congrats to the Cheneys!! The grandparents look so happy, as they should!

33. Nikki says

I just want to say that I like your website because I love babies.
    I can respect the fact that possibly you think children raised by same sex parents are different from those raised in a traditional family. I completely disagree, but that is another topic. My concern is that you elluded to the idea that you don’t want to get political, but that is a very politicalesque statement.

34. kimmy says

People- do some real sociological research and don’t just give me your opinion. You claim all these things but I don’t see your proof.

It doesnt matter if they have same sex parents or not IF they are raised to realise the difference!! That it isnt the norm for a lot of people but it is for them… At the end of the day, as long as they have love from 2 parents, what does it matter?

36. Kathleen says

Barb writes: “And the happiest children are the WANTED ones.”

That’s exactly right.
    The children of gay couples are always wanted and anticipated — none of these “oops” babies or accidents or mistakes. You’ll never see a gay couple with a litter of children because they forgot to use birth control.

37. y.b.g. says

A loving attentive family is a loving attentive family is a loving attentive family . . . There’s far too little of that commodity in the world — why would anyone presume to spit on it?! More love, y’all!

38. Nicki says

Best wishes Mary and Heather and lil Samuel. He looks like a healthy boy. Good to see his grandparents are enjoying and loving him. Best to them all!
    EVERY child needs LOVE, SHELTER (food and clothing are included in that), and GOOD GUIDANCE. Anyone that can provide that and be CONSISTANT in the 18-24 years that follows is A-OK as a parent and thier child or children will do just fine, maybe adapt better than some.
    Good to see everyone happy and healthy.

39. kimmy says

barb- that is a big generalization and kind of insulting. Where did you get your research for this? I hope from more than one source. I think it’s a bunch of b.s if you ask me. I don’t think having an open mind has anything to do with having gay or straight parents. I think it has to do with your personality and your heart. I don’t agree with gay marriage and most gay people would automatically think I’m hateful and close minded which is close minded on their part considering that we are all entitled to our opinions and lifestyles. Disagreeing with a lifestyle and judging it are 2 different things. God is the ultimate judge and I’ll let him deal with that.

40. Malayka says

It is incredibly selfish and unfair for gay people to have children. I know am being politically incorrect saying this but come on we all know these kids are going to be called names at school and will have the hard task of working out their unique arrangements in their little heads. I know two men who live with one woman and between them they have four kids. Their kids right now seem well adjusted but occassionally get into fights for being called names. A new life should be celebrated but forgive me for not joining in thi stime around.

41. Zbella says

OMG – Libra, you had me laughing with your first post! 🙂

Umm, It’s not presumptuous to say anything that is based on research! I’m sure there is a difference – just as every family is different.

Congrats to May & Heather. Samuel is so cute! Good for Dick & Lynne to accept and adore their grandchild despite politics.

42. barb says

The main way in which kids raised by gay parents are different than kids raised by a male/female couple is that the kids of gay and lesbian parents tend to be more open minded, and in my experience as a teacher, better educated. The vast majority of gay and lesbian parents that I have dealt with have their children in private schools and I have to say that they tend to be far more involved in their children’s lives and educations that their “straight” counterparts. Obviously this is a generalization, there are excellent straight parents out there. But a gay or lesbian couple has to jump through so many hoops to have a child that you can be quite sure they really want that child. And the happiest children are the WANTED ones.

43. carleigh says

I believe that the comment made by Mary Cheney and the one made by the webmistress were both similar. I believe Mary Cheney’s statement was referencing the fact that some people in society truly believe that children raised in a same-sex household turn out to be “gay” more often than children raised in male/female households. The webmistress I believe was trying to assert that there is INDEED a difference in the household dynamics in a same-sex vs. male/female household. They both have their points and both are quite valid, there is NO evidence purporting that children raised by gay couples have exhibited a propensity to engage in a gay relationship. Whereas, the children raised in male/female households are neither more prone to being straight as opposed to being gay. It’s a very controversial issue and I don’t think it really matters what me, the webmistress or anyone else thinks. Mary and Heather have obviously made a life for themselves and wanted to include a child into their life, let them be happy and just love their little boy. It’s time people let people live their lifes and not ostrasize or criticize for their choices, I wish them a happy, wonderful life with their cute little guy.

44. phnxgirl says

Hey everybody, isn’t the webmistress allowed to have her opinion just like everyone else who comments? I think so!

45. Brittany says

The way I understood the webmistress’ comment, she is only saying that there is a difference between kids raised in traditional families and kids with gay parents. She didn’t say that one was necessarily better than the other, just that children raised in these different situations might have different viewpoints or outlooks on life as they grow up.

46. gin says

So under your own presumption: Sean Preston and Jayden James Federline are going to be better off than Samuel David Cheney because they are being raised by a man and a woman (ha!)?

I’m not going into the name-calling, but I think we can agree that their are other more important factors than the sex of the parents that affect how well children are raised: the stability of the home, the amount of substance abuse, etc., etc.

47. kimmy says

Kendra- calling somebody’s opinion stupid is incredibly intolerant. Practice what you preach. We all have different views- you need to grow up.

48. Jenna M. (UK) says

The most important thing in the world for a child, any child, is that it has parents who love them, care for them and nurture them.

As a bisexual female, if I found myself in a serious, loving relationship with another woman at the point in my life that I decide to have children, I wouldn’t let that stop me. I know I would be a good parent.

Plenty of children grow up in single-parent families. Many of these would say that growing up with only a female or male carer didn’t adversely affect them in any way. As long as the child has both male and female role models (such as other family members, close family friends etc) then that isn’t a problem.

The child itself will thankfully grow up more tolerant of people who lead alternative lifestyles than close-minded and ignorant people. The only real problem facing children growing up in same-sex families is OTHER peoples ignorance and prejudice.

Anyway, congratulations to Mary and Heather!

49. kendra says

I knew someone who was raised by lesbians and she was completely well adjusted to the world. Unless you count her being a little artsy, she was totally fine. Also, one of my campers last summer had 2 moms and she was a sweet, shy little girl, but again she was fine as well. So saying that someone raised by parents of the same sex confuses the child and messe it up is incredibly stupid! In fact, kids raised by single sex parents are, if anything, more tolerant towards homosexuality and probably better well adjusted than conservative homophobes.

50. kimmy says

Same sex parents can actually confuse a child. Both roles of a dad (being a male figure) and a mom (being a female figure) have crucial roles in the development of a child. That’s why sometimes you have women (not all omen of course), but some that have really bad relationships with men because they didn’t have a father in the picture. Or sometimes girls and boys really need the nurturing side of a mother if they live with a single father. I think it’s really hard on the child if both parents are the same sex. It goes beyond the argument of just being politically correct.

51. sweetie says

Tha is going to be a very confuse baby, beeing raise by same sex partners, what a shame( I know that i am going to be attack by some of you, but this is what I believe, for some reason God Created MAN AND WOMEN, and don’t take me the wrong way, I don’t have anything against gay people I respect them as humans, but I don’t agree with what they do. confusing a child terrrible. That child is going to grow up thinking is normal.)

If Dick Cheney ever cracked a full on smile I would pass out! He does look like a proud grandfather though, so congrats to all of them!

53. ~*Miapocca*~ says

Thank you Andrea….I seem to be harpiung forever here about lettign everyone express whatever theri views are!!!!

Its extremely annoying when these folks want everyone to think like them

If that kid is goign to look like anyone of those two in the pic, he deserves lots of luck in life..ahhahahha
    First time a wrinkly newborn looks better than the adults ahahhahah

54. Andrea says

I agree with the webmistress on her tailend comment.
    …And why do you say her views are limited…just because you don’t agree with her? Now who is the intolerant one???

55. anon says

how rude to say that Ms. Babyrazzi. I think it’s incredibly presumptuous to say that opposite sex parents can raise a child better than same sex. I don’t understand why you care so much that child will be loved so much by so many different people. Does anybody remember the show “My Two Dads?” Did everybody think that was crazy and they weren’t even partners. I thought you were smarter than that……..oh well, like you said before!!!!

56. Lovethebabies says

web mistress, web mistress… you seem to have quite limited views, don’t you. I am really quite surprised. Don’t like older mums, comments about children growing up in single sex families… My, my. If only everyone in the world were like Ms Heidi Klum!

57. Xenafan96 says

LOL-I did the same thing!
    That kid looks like he could win a 3 round fight! Congrats to the whole family!