Mira Sorvino Wishes That She Could Just Focus On Being A Mom

Mira Sorvino

Mira Sorvino says she’s struggling to balance motherhood and acting.

“I hate it,” Mira, 39, told People magazine at an event in Santa Monica to promote shelter adoptions of dogs and cats. “I feel so guilty because my kids cry so hard when I go to work. I know there are millions and millions of working women out in the world who face this same dilemma, but it just kind of kills me, and I don’t know what to do about it.”

Mira, who won an Oscar for Mighty Aphrodite and her husband, Christopher Backus have a daughter, Mattea Angel, 2, and an 11-month-old son, Johnny.

On the set of one of a recent movie shoot, Mira outfitted the inside of her trailer with kid-friendly decor.

“I’ve tried to make it as much fun for them as possible on the set,” Mira said. “I went to FAO Schwarz and got all these things to make the trailer as fun and club-housey as possible. I made a tent with fabric, bought a beanbag chair and put together an art table where my daughter could paint. But days on the set are a minimum of 12 hours and that’s hard for them.”

“I’d love it,” Mira laughed, “if I was independently wealthy and could stop acting and just focus on being a mom and activism.”

1. Andrea says

#3 and #5,

No, winning an Oscar doesn’t equate to cash in loads, but it does mean higher paying offers. That’s a fact.

Look, it comes down to choosing time to be with your kids or a lifestyle she wants to continue. I’m just summarizing her own words in the article.

2. Zbella says

Motherhood is stressful, whether you are famous or not – is her point. But she COULD choose to take a few years off while they are so young and work later… Very nice looking family. They seem very close.

3. Angie_in_Arkansas says

i’ve never seen her little ones other than the back of their heads…they are soooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!! Mattea looks like a carbon copy of mommy! Adorable!
    In this pic, it looks like someone shoved some random kid into her arms and said “Smile!” (he’s adorable though)

i’m not tryin to defend celebs or anything but they do have a certain lifestyle to upkeep..they can’t go buy multi million dollar houses and luxury vehicles and then quite workin…can u imagine the taxes & upkeep on those monstrous homes?? they choose that life though and i don’t feel sorry for her, just her kids. 12 hours/day??? come on…that’s ridiculous!

4. Fifi says

You don’t know anything about her, just because she won an oscar does’t mean she had loads of cash!

5. Lauren says

I can’t stand when celebrities complain about their life. They have everything, money, a healthy family, and yet they still complain..

6. Robin says

just because she won an Oscar doesnt mean she’s wealthy – its a statue not wads of cash…and it doesnt guarantee work for her either…

she sure has cute kids and a cute husband though!

7. Andrea says

She won an Oscar and says she doesn’t make enough for her to stay home for her kids?? That’s odd.
    And doesn’t her husband work? She just probably wants a certain lifestyle and isn’t willing to shop at “ordinary people” stores.