A Stay-At-Home Mother Would Earn $138,095 A Year!

Stay-at-home moms
I have read about this topic before, and it is sort of silly, but still interesting I think!

If the typical stay-at-home mother in the United States were paid for her work as a housekeeper, cook and psychologist among other roles, she would earn $138,095 a year, according to research released on Wednesday.

This reflected a 3 percent raise from last year’s $134,121, according to Salary.com Inc, Waltham, Massachusetts-based compensation experts.

The 10 jobs listed as comprising a mother’s work were housekeeper, cook, day care center teacher, laundry machine operator, van driver, facilities manager, janitor, computer operator, chief executive officer and psychologist, it said.

The typical mother puts in a 92-hour work week, it said, working 40 hours at base pay and 52 hours overtime.

A mother who holds full-time job outside the home would earn an additional $85,939 for the work she does at home, Salary.com.

Last year she would have earned $85,876 for her at-home work, it said.

Salary.com compiled the online responses of 26,000 stay-at-home mothers and 14,000 mothers who also work outside the home.

1. Chicorina says

Amy, that’s an excellent point.

Our lives are wonderful when our mates, friends, society appreciate the value of what we do. It is difficult when working women devalue our situation and equally bad when we, SAHMs, devalue their situation and choices.

I’ve worn both shoes and being a mom is tough both ways. I personally think it’s easier staying at home, but that’s my situation and it may not be easier for many women. I am at home with 4 children (three school aged, one age 3). When I worked, I was a single mother of 1 – I thought it was bone crushingly hard.

Please don’t judge. None of us have it “easy”.

2. kimmy says

If being mom is so easy then why are women so quick to put their newborns in daycare while they get a career outside the home?

3. GrannySmith says

Listen, I am a woman and even this article made me laugh. Doctor, psychiatrist I am surprised they didn’t say lawyer because moms have to be able to argue their case to their children of why they need to eat their vegetables. Moms do alot of important things I am thankful for my mom, but to try and break down what moms do into real careers is nonsense. Being able to put a bandage on a booboo does not qualify a mom as a doctor. I am sure if her kid fell and cracked their skull she would not break out all of her surgical equipment. What about all of the moms who screw up their children mentally and emotionally a psychiatrist would have their license revoked, moms are lucky they don’t get their kids taken away. I am sure if a mom’s child was raped she would not know exactly what how to handle the situation without going to a real licensed therapist. The only people that should feel insulted are doctors and psychiatrist and all of the other licensed professionals. Just as you cannot say a person with a pet or plant will make a good parent because they have to take care and nurture it, you cannot say a mother is a licensed professional just because being a mom is a multifaceted job.

4. Denise says

Go get em Michelle. What an ignorant comment. What intelligence? Obviously this person hasn’t got a mother or one that doesn’t do anything but lay around the house all day. A mother is everything to a child, a person that heals the sick-doctor-guides-psychologist-cooks meals-chef-cleans house-maid-washes clothes-laundress-makes appts for various drs. appts., activities, etc,-manager, receptionist, administrator-along with dozens of other jobs she has to do that are too numerous to name. Pay a mother for all that she does added up to one salary and it is alot of money in one bundle. And that isn’t adding to what she does for her husband to keep the house running smoothly! INTELLIGENT you are not #6. Or you must be a man!! If so then that explains your remark. If you aren’t a man then you are a stupid person that doesn’t have any responsiblity and is probably very immature.

5. Michelle says

Ohh…. and I am a stay at home mom who went to school for over 10 years!!!!!! I am a very intelligent woman, and don’t take ignorant comments lightly! Your $15/day education most not have given you must intelligence if that article insulted you.

6. Michelle says

You obviously don’t have children… “yeah right”, it doesn’t take 10 years in medical school to know how to fix a boo-boo, or be able to tell when you need further medical help! It also doesn’t take 9 years in school to be able to tell that your child is upset and needs attention or a hug or something to make him/her feel better! You must not have gone to college either, because no profession requires 8+ years of specailty school…just for your info, a doctor, which I am, goes to school for 4 years at an undergraduate school, and another 6 years ( INCLUDING YOUR RESIDENCY) of medical school, which is broken down into 2 years of medical classes, and 4 years of “On the Job Training” Stay at home mothers, which I am now, spend more than $15 a day on food, and cleaning supplies! Besides, if you have never thought if THIS, the children are our future, if 15/day is okay for your future than great, but I want someone to have a little boy to run the country and fix social security, and give other underprivilaged children and families health care. I want a child that can find a cure to cancer and AIDS. I would 1,000,000 a year to the woman who bears that child!

7. yeah right says

Um, last time i checked you need to go to school for about 9 plus years to become a psychologist…any stay at home moms do that? lol hah……another one was a doctor…please you need to go to school and actually be smart for like 10 years. Yeah right people, stay at home moms should make about 15 dollars a day. Less than that if they didn’t go to college…lol hah..what a joke. That article insults my intelligence.

8. CanuckMom says

Silly? That’s a little demeaning isn’t it? YOU can’t call being a Mom the most important job int he world and then call being recognized for that work as silly. There are enough people out there that think that staying at home means you’re a lady of leisure, that we should at least support one another shouldn’t we?

9. Sandra says

I wish…I would take money, it would make raising my son to be a fine young man a whole lot easier!!

10. Denise says

What’s so silly about that???? The stay at home mom has a lot of hats to wear not just being called mom. Just read the list of everything a mother is. If a mother got paid for everything she did and was then she would make a lot of money. No, I don’t think it’s silly. But money isn’t what moms want when they have children. My children growing up to be the fine young men they are is payment enough for me!!