Daryl Hannah Hopes To Adopt A Child From The U.S.

Daryl Hannah

Eco-activist and actress Daryl Hannah is planning to adopt a child from the U.S. “I know there are more than half a million kids right here in the U.S who need to be adopted or need homes, who are so-called ‘hard to adopt’ because they’re not babies and come from troubled backgrounds, so I think that’s probably the way I would go,” the 46-year-old actress said recently. Hannah admits that she has all but given up on finding love but still dreams of starting a family.

Comments

1. bodyBYfisher says

Thank you Debra for clearing that up! I believe that we need to take care of home first (meaning the US). The US have children that need homes and because they are being overlooked by some potential adopters, they are finding good homes in places like Canada and the like… why is it chic to adopt overseas when we have children languishing in foster care?

2. DEBRA D says

wHEN YOU ADOPT FROM THE FOSTER CARE SYSTEM, THE GOV. HAS GIVEN THE PARENTS EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO GET THEIR ACTS TOGETHER. THAT IS ONE REASON THE CHILD STAYS IN THE SYSTEM SO LONG. tHE PARENTS RIGHTS ARE TERMINATED BEFORE THE CHILD IS PLACED FOR ADOPTION. SO THERE ARE NO LEGAL AVENUES FOR THE BIRTH PARENTS TO COME BACK AND CHANGE THEIR MIND. YOU ONLY HAVE AN OPEN ADOPTION IF YOU CHOSE TO. YOU DON’T HAVE TO. CHECK INTO BEING A FOSTER PARENT. IF YOU FALL IN LOVE WITH THE CHILD YOU HAVE FIRST CHOICE. IT HAS CHANGED. THE KIDS ARE NOT MOVED AROUND AS MUCH. IF YOU HAVE YOUNG CHILDREN AT HOME YOU DO HAVE TO FIND OUT IF THE CHILD WAS SEXUALIZED BECAUSE THEY COULD ACT OUT WITH YOUR CHILD. THE SAFEST WAY IS TO FOSTER YOUNGER CHILDREN THAN YOUR OWN. IF THE CHILD HAS PROBLEMS YOU TAKE THEM TO THERAPY AND THE STATE WILL PAY IF YOU CAN NOT AFFORD IT. EVERYONE WHO LOVES CHILDREN SHOULD CONSIDER FOSTER CARE AND POSSIBLY ADOPTION.

3. debra d says

I was 50 when I adopted a 30 month old, it has been challenging but I am so glad I did. I definately believe in giving the children here in the USA a chance FIRST. Angelina talks about her kids being survivors, well let me tell you .. the kids coming out of foster care are survivors. The first 6 months are hell but once they learn to trust you… they are priceless. I am now 56 and am thinking of adding more to the family. I am a grandmother but these kids need a real home and some stability. There are no guarantees even when you give birth to them. Trust me, these kids want homes and if you can ride out the beginning it is PRICELESS

4. Jenna M. (UK) says

Stardust and Zbella, I agree. it doesn’t amtter to a kid where they are adopted from, they just need adopted into a loving, caring and stable family.

I don’t think people should be judged over where they choose to adopt from. Of course there are children in the U.S.A and the U.K that need adopting badly, but there are also children needing families in other countries.

I plan to adopt myself when I’m older (I’m only 17 now) and will probably adopt from abroad. While I wouldn’t rule out adopting from the U.K., I think children growing up in orphanges in Africa or China or South America are more desperately in need of a home than kids growing up in fostercare over here, due to the circumstances and povery etc.

5. StarDust says

I don’t think expense is the issue. My sister is adopting from China and it is NOT about money. They chose to adopt overseas because US adoptions are ‘open’. Meaning the mom or dad can change their mind and take the baby back. Can you imagine? I happened to one of my friends. Heart breaking.

But Chinese adoptions are not oh so easy either. My sis has been waiting 18 months for a match. They are slowing down because of the bad rap foreign adoption has gotten. Great, so we should let kids sit and die in an orphanage instead.

Zbella, you are right, it is not about politics, but people make it about that and it’s so sad.

Anyway, best of luck to Daryl.

6. EveLina says

Exactly, there are a lot of children in-need for help here, just as much as in Africa, or China. Good for her!; )

7. eBirdie says

It takes someone special to have the commitment and patience to adopt an older child who comes from a troubled background and has spent some time in the foster care system. Generally, these children require a lot more attention and remedial care in the areas of emotional and behavioral health. They definitely need good homes and devoted parents as much as any child, anywhere, does. That said, not every family is ready to take on a challenge like that and it becomes even more of an issue if you already have young children in your home – parents want to think of the balance they have already created as well as the safety of their small children. Even people who don’t have children can feel overwhelmed by what it would take to address the variety of issues an older adoptee might be facing and come to the realization that, for them, adopting a baby or a younger child might be a better option. It’s a shame that more people aren’t willing to consider adopting older children, but I don’t think we should blame or fault everyone who makes a different adoption choice…after all, it’s not wrong to want a baby – women have wanted babies for thouands of years. And again, people who are willing to make the sacrifices and deal with the issues of adopting an older child are very special indeed.

8. Andrea says

I think it’s great she wants to adopt an older child. They have a harder time getting adopted since everyone wants babies. I wish her the best.

9. Lurker says

I agree with most everyone. I don’t know much about adoption, true..but I am happy to see SOMEONE in the public eye bringing attention to the children needing homes in the U.S. for a change.

Though if Sharon Stone has adopted from the U.S. as well, then good for her, too! I just didn’t realize where her boys came from originally.

10. Just me says

@Jamie67
    Age shouldn’t matter, but come on … you’re talking about Sharon Stone, not an “average” single woman. Even with Angelina, we kept hearing reports that she wasn’t getting preferential treatment. But first it was that she would bring Pax home in 3 weeks … then it was this weekend … next thing you know, she was bringing the kid home the next day! I don’t think it’s a fair comparison becaus of the money and fame issue, I guess.
    Many people do opt for foreign adoption, because it is cheaper and generally you don’t have to wait as long. Any credible adoption agency will admit that it is more difficult to adopt an infant in the U.S. I’m sure it’s not as difficult to adopt an older child, though.
    Good for Daryl!

11. Jamie67 says

@Essie
    Sharon Stone was way over 46,when she adopted her latest son Quin.
    Good for you Daryl,you go girl!!

12. Zbella says

Wonderful. Adoption from any country is great, IMO. Children and love don’t understand politics or borders. She is a beauty and seems so sweet. Best of luck to her in starting a family!

13. Denise says

So glad to her that. Daryl is one of my favorite actresses. I wish she’d make more movies. But her life has taken her elsewhere. She’s worked so hard on bringing awareness to the environment. Too bad she doesn’t get the publicity “other” celebrities do.

14. Melissa says

Well, good for her! Although she is going to have to re-think future choices…like not being able to sit up in a tree and get arrested!!!

15. Ginger says

Ellie,

You don’t have a clue what you are talking about. Seriously. It is not difficult for an older single person to adopt a special needs child in the US.

For those looking to adopt a special needs child in the US, please check the facts.

Ginger

16. Xenafan96 says

You go girl! Another person who loves children and doesn’t assign the “perfect” age to look for in a child. And as eco-friendly as she is, she may just start a revolution in H-Wood! Love Daryl, she is one of the nicest people.
    Ok- I met her once out in Arizona and she was very lovely and very unassuming. We were visting family and had stopped in one of the parks and she was there hiking. Talk about surreal! Here is the lady I always thought was a mermaid for real(this wasn’t too many years after Splash) just gabbing away with my dad about the environment and how clean the air is in Arizona. And my dad had NO clue who she was LOL! He just thought she was a pretty blonde girl that stopped by to chat.

17. Essie says

She might find it difficult, at 46 and single, to adopt a child in the U.S. Of course, she has money so that might help, but for the average person, it’s not that easy, even if the child is hard to place.

But, good luck to Daryl.

18. Elena says

YAY Daryl!! Finally a celebrity that realizes that there are needy children in her own country.and who does not feel the need to adopt from Asia or Africa in order to drum up some extra publicity.Way toyl!!