Salma Hayek Talks About Motherhood

Salma Hayek

Salma Hayek is expecting her first child at age 40 and she says women shouldn’t be in a hurry to have kids before they’re ready.

“Motherhood is not for everyone,” Salma tells Marie Claire in its May issue. “It is for me, but there’s no reason women should feel rushed to have a child.”

Salma, who spoke to the magazine before announcing her pregnancy and engagement to businessman François-Henri Pinault, continues: “Society thinks if you don’t have children, you’ve failed as a woman, even if you are CEO of a company.

“You’ve got to be beautiful, smart, skinny, tall, rich, successful at your job, married to the right guy – and have genius children. And by the way, you also have to be a nun!”

She also admits that the pressure to appear physically perfect isn’t easy on her. “The stress is sensational,” she says. “But then, you have to keep everything in perspective. It’s a dress, hair, makeup – c’mon, let’s go! We have to stop this obsession that starts when we’re teenagers: ‘Am I pretty enough?’ ”

Salma has challenged the stereotypes that women face – especially Latin women. “I started out in Hollywood at the same time as Jennifer Lopez,” she says. “Before us, Latinas only had roles that were part of the backdrop, as the maid or the prostitute. We changed that. Of course, you’re always looking for those Meryl Streep parts, but I am grateful for the things I did.”

1. Tempany says

# 4 and # 6, i totally agree, it worries me that Hollywood glamorises older motherhood when, as much as we wish it wasn’t the case, women who put their careers first are taking greater risks of having a baby with health difficulties or having a miscarriage. Yes, it’s not fair, but the facts have to be faced.

2. DMITZ says

I’m not a fan of hers, but congrats. She speaks like she knows what she is talking about though. Some people don’t know they are ready for motherhood until the baby gets here. It doesn’t necessarily start from pregnancy or planning to be pregnant.

3. celine says

way to go selma! you are sensational in your thinking!

will always rise over the celebrity bullshit, and moreover, will just be so perceptive on problems regarding sexism, esp as they play out so innocently in relation to the whole deal on motherhood.

4. jay says

Yeah Right…motherhood is not for everyone.God know how many years she had to go to the Doc to get pregnant.

5. Zbella says

Yes, a Mom – that is true. We are told to wait and wait and then it can be too late. I’m glad I started when I did. I had my first at 27 – some people think I was old and some young. My sister has been unable to get pregnant since she started trying at 33 (now 37). Every woman is different but the best time to start a family, biologically speaking, is 20-28.

I am happy for Salma & the older moms out there too!

6. BabiesRBeautiful says

She’s a very beautiful actress and she looks like she’s enjoying her pregnancy. No matter the age, it’s miraculous and all the mothers who believe it is embrace it so well.

7. A mom says

Ya, wait until you’re old to have kids and you might not be able to even have them. Hollywood continues to glamorize being an older mom, when statistically, after 40 your chances of conceiving and delivering a healthy child is much much MUCH lower than even in your early 30’s. Don’t wait until your 35 to start trying. If you want children don’t wait until your 40. You will probably have many heartaches and even possibly miscarriages. It’s not fun. And it’s heartbreaking. I applaud any women for doing what she wants, when she wants, but the biological clock can be a bitch.