The Truth About McDonald's Chicken McNuggets

Oh no! I let my kids enjoy McDonald’s chicken nuggets sometimes! It’s back to Whole Foods to stock up on lots of Bell & Evans!

Read the shocking truth about McDonald’s chicken nuggets!

It wasn’t as if I thought McDonald’s was healthy….but I thought that their chicken nuggets were harmless. A McDonalds Chicken McNugget is 56% corn (that’s not what worries me…I just thought that was interesting!) and contains several completely synthetic ingredients, quasiedible substances that ultimately come not from a corn or soybean field but form a petroleum refinery or chemical plant. Yuck!

AND…perhaps the most alarming ingredient in a Chicken McNugget is tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, an antioxidant derived from petroleum that is either sprayed directly on the nugget or the inside of the box it comes in to “help preserve freshness.”  According to A Consumer’s Dictionary of Food Additives, TBHQ is a form of butane (i.e. lighter fluid) the FDA allows processors to use sparingly in our food: It can comprise no more than 0.02 percent of the oil in a nugget.  Which is probably just as well, considering that ingesting a single gram of TBHQ can cause “nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse.”  Ingesting five grams of TBHQ can kill.”

1. Cheryl says

Check the ingrediants on everything you eat. If all your food isn’t 100% organic chances are there is something in there that will “kill” you or cause “cancer”. I say that you should eat what you want and enjoy doing it. I mean we are all going to die anyway. You could walk in front of a bus tomorrow and all that worrying about what you’re eating will be for nothing. So stop worrying about what is going to kill you and start living your life.
    Eat, Drink, and Be Merry.

Wow greenlee, I’ve never seen that. Like I said I never fed myself the McDonald’s food and I don’t intend to feed my kids it too. I think it ruins your health. There are better things to eat than oiley salty french fries and chicken nuggets WITH the soda too. That can add up to so many calories. I like eating Subway or things that are good but also good for your health.

3. greenlee says

I would never feed my kids fast food. Ever. There is a McDonald’s in our Wal Mart (the norm now everywhere) and nothing makes me more sick than when I see momsin there at like 9 in the morning pushing around their toddlers who are sitting in the shopping cart eating friggin’ FRENCH FRIES. At 9 in the morning. That’s some great parenting.

4. MommyDearest says

UUgghh…My kids eat chicken nuggets all the time! Great! One more thing to feel guilty about…..! 🙁

5. Me says

People were getting cancer and other problems long before diet coke, mcdonalds and all the other shit we consume. Some of the healthiest people die young from cancer and diseases and then there are those that smoke and treat their body like a garbage bag and live past 80. I don’t want the 80+ years anyways, why should I? So I can sit in my own shit and not recognize my own family members? I’d rather enjoy what I eat. Thanks!

6. dori #1 says

I knew there was a good reason I stopped eating there!
    Geez and my kids used to love those chicken nuggets too.

Kim the toxins build up over time then our organs just can’t cope anymore 🙁 Your body shows the effects over time. We challenge our bodies daily by these things we can’t avoid like mercury fillings (I don’t have the means to get mine changed to safe fillings, it isn’t cheap and is a long process I hope to someday though), cancer is the result of these things. Something causes our cells to produce abnormal cells, the more I read about what is killing us in this world, the more I shake my head. Making money seems to be more important than our health, just imagine if all these products were removed from the shelves not something they want to do. It’s the whole oops we didn’t know that had long-term effects.Personally I feel anything needing chemicals to “maintain freshness” when it’s for immediate consumption, just doesn’t strike me as safe? McDonalds food tastes like crap cold, so how is it staying fresh? What role is that TBHQ playing in our innocent Mcnuggets, how will it affect your body and mine
    McDonald is making better menu choices, but it comes down to choices. Cancer is an ugly thing as is illness 🙁

8. kim says

I’m sure you can find something like this in all foods. Although Mcnuggets aren’t my favorite I have eaten them for tbe past 30 years and nothing has happened. This is kind of like when you go to the dentist to get a tooth filled and they give you that crap about how mercury is poisonous and it could kill you. I always say, “I’ve had mercury for the past 30 years and it hasn’t done anything yet.”

9. Gesa says

My british au-pair son – Joshua (2 years old) – just loooved Chicken McNuggets… he was kind of picky and I still hear him saying “I want nuggets! with his tiny voice”… I would have never allowed it because my parents never took me to McDonalds when I was little and I can completely live wihout it…. I think there are some ingredients in Mc Donald´s food that taste nice, sweet on childrens´ tongues and are kind of addictive – that´s the trick of these fast food chains – that you want mooooooore…….

10. side bangs says

I worked there in high school rats would always eat the bread they would serve the ones that was not eaten on.

What do you mean, like a hotmail address? That is what I have now. No my baby just kicks whenever it likes to. Once in a while it kicks at night, but it doesn’t bother me much. I have never caused trouble on anywhere. I don’t know why they would block mine. Is there anyway that you can somehow unblock it?

I heard it was great too 🙂 Is the babe quiet at night? Does she have a busy time? My little guy went crazy ever evening from 5-9pm, he wriggled so much my shirt moved!

Interesting side bangs 🙁 likely it is your IP addy that’s causing problems. In the past WM has blocked addys that were causing trouble perhaps someone claimed you were one of them? Have you tried a Hotmail account?

Checked there. Guess I’ll have to stay here in this mad house. I emailed and when I keep sending it, it comes right bakc into my mailbox. Something is worng here…..hmmm. Maybe my i.p. address is blocked or something. What did I do to make it be blocked? I am going to watch my new DVD now – The Devil Wears Prada. Heard it’s really good.

I am having trouble with my username and password over at Hello Razzi. It won’t go through. I keep fighting with it so you ladies don’t worry.

Are you at home now sidebangs? Come over to Hellorazzi 🙂

I watched “super-size it” a few years ago and haven’t eaten there since. Any food that causes liver failure is not good!

17. side bangs says

OMG, I never ate McDonald’s in my life because I always knew their food was not so great. I don’t know if this is true but didn’t one fast food restaurant ( Wendy’s i think) find like a fried rat in their food or something? Yuck!!

18. Melissa says

You would be suprized at the amounts of things that the governement has to allow into our food supply in small amounts because the sheer impossiblity of extracting them from our food supply. These things are allowed into our food in the parts per million, and can also be cancerous, but impossible to avoid. Also a lot of foods such as plants have natural toxins in them, to protect themselves. Tea has tannins, potatoes form solanin for example. In the tiny amounts that we consume of them, these substances are okay. So I assure you treating your child to mcnuggets once in a blue moon is not going to kill them. Also you should read things critically. In this article mono-, tri-, and diglycerides are said to be emulsifiers. Not true, they are fats that need emulsifiers to be dispersed in foods or digested in the body.