Something You Need To Know

Shampoo Safety

I came across a very interesting article today of great concern to me. It reveals new information about a very dangerous chemical found in children’s shampoo and bubble bath products. You can read it here. (WARNING: The article is plenty disconcerting, but doesn’t offer any practical info..such as a list of products to avoid and a list of safe products! Ugh!) I had finally learned to be “chill” about all this stuff and not worry so much, but here we go again…oh well! I used to buy all my stuff for the kids at Whole Foods and the local organic shop…brands like California Baby, Rainbow, Shi Kai, etc. Just recently I reverted to Johnson’s and Johnson’s lavender baby wash as I LOVED the way it smelled. Well, now this article comes out stating that para-dioxane’s are found in many children’s shampoos and are carcinogenic. Para-dioxane appears to be closely tied to SLES and SLS in products (sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate respectively). In the US, the use of the word “organic” in cosmetics and personal products is not regulated as it is in food. As such, products with parabens and SLS can be found even in Whole Foods personal care section (and in their house brand shampoos, for that matter, as I was quite dismayed to find out). I intend to do further research for my own personal knowledge, and will share as I discover, but thus far all I have discovered is that this dangerous para-dioxane is often listed on ingredient lists simply as ‘dioxane’. Hmmm…now I will go through all the stuff in the house.

UPDATE: This is THE site to check out regading this stuff! It is excellent…check it out here.

It basically reveals that Johnson and Johnson Bedtime Bath (which I currently use) is of ‘moderate’ concern and California Baby Shampoo and Bodywash Super Sensitive is of ‘low’ concern. So I will be buying California Baby from now on or another similar brand.

Comments

1. Kierstin S. says

My son gets a rash when I use the J&J bedtime bath! The first couple times I thought maybe he just had daiper rash, and then I put 2 and 2 together. Thanks for the info!

2. Ketty says

Since 1998 i’ve stopped to buy products that contains SLS for me and my baby i buy only products without chemicals from Urtekram. Even my deodorant i started to use the ones without alluminium. Keep your eyes open (O.O)

3. Ketty says

Since 1998 i’ve stopped to buy products that contains SLS for me and my baby i buy only products without chemicals from Urtekram. Even my deodorant i started to use the ones without alluminium. Keep your eyes ope (O.O)

4. MamaofTwins says

There are other things in baby shampoo that are terrible such a formaldehyde. It is also found in most household cleansers, toothpaste, skin care products, and tons of other stuff. I shop with a wellness company that has all chemical free products. go to syoung.whywellness.com to learn more. I am always happy to say that my family lives in a chemical free home.(well other than the paint on my walls, but don’t know how to avoid that)

5. Lexi says

@@
    you have got to be kidding me???
    This is insane , if you look hard enought you can find fault in anything! We all lived thru the crap for years and years and most of us are smart, and the last time I checked I didn’t have any abnormal things growing on me.

6. Lexi says

@@
    you have got to be kidding me???

7. Lexi says

It is amazing that we all lived thru this life with all the hazards out there, last time I checked I had no abnormal things growing on me and I am smart with 2 colleges degrees. I think it is insane, you can find fault in anything if you look hard enough. @@

8. boo says

Thanks for the heads up webmistress… I’m definately doing a look through on all of the products I use on my kids… better safe then sorry… this is some good info to know and pass on to others!~*