Reese Witherspoon & Ryan Phillippe Split

Reese Witherspoon

I can’t believe this! Very sad news.

Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe have separated. The couple’s rep released a statement to TMZ Monday morning that says “We are saddened to announce that Reese and Ryan have decided to formally separate. They remain committed to their family and we ask that you please respect their privacy and the safety of their children at this time.”

Sources tell TMZ Witherspoon has contacted celebrity divorce lawyer Robert Kaufman, who has represented Jennifer Aniston, Roseanne and Lisa Marie Presley.

Sources say Witherspoon spoke with Kaufman about divorcing Ryan Phillippe, her husband of seven years. The couple has two children. They met at Witherspoon’s 21st birthday party.

As for why Witherspoon contacted Kaufman, we’re told it was not triggered by one event. Rather, one connected source says it was “cumulative.”

Divorce papers have not yet been filed.

I guess they didn’t look so happy at the October 16th premiere of Flags of Our Fathers in New York.

Reese Witherspoon

This is just so depressing because they have two beautiful children and seemed so happy, stable and family-centered.

1. Lauren says

I was so shocked and sad to hear about this latest split. They’ve always been open about their relationship and how they work at it. Sometimes, its not enough. They’ve always seemed soo family oriented, stable, and happy. I hope they can remain friends for the sake of their darling kids.

2. Crystal Fuller says

I cannot believe that Ryan would betray Reese the way he did, cheating on her, being out until 300 in the moring at bars flirting with other women, all because he is jealous of Reese career, and the fact that his career is just now getting started, you know he should have showed more appreciation of her then jealousy, but in the end, she will find someone else, I know. She is very cute, smart, and has a good head on her shoulders, I am sure that she will find happiness in someone elses arm, and also mainly someone to be true to her and to her children. As for Ryan, he needs to grow up and get a life, and act like a man instead of a child. Get a grip Ryan.

3. ophelia says

You think you know a person and you don’t. It is sad but it has happen too many times in holloywood. They act a certain way when they are with you and once you really get to know them they are different. But, with kids involved you try to make things work but its too late. Life is too short to focus on all the bad things and it is time for her to turn a new leaf and take care of herself and her children. That goes for him too! They were a cute couple in holloywood and i would have never expected this. Although everytime my husband saw a picture of them both he would tellme that her fame was too much for him to swallow. It must be hard being married to another movie star. Not to say he hasn’t had fame himself. Don’t get that wrong…Life in holloywood. You think that having so much mony could make you happy? I guess my life is not so bad. Bills? that all I have to worry about and I thought that was hard. Thinking about a split up is much worse. Hope the best for them both and remember the most inportant is there beautiful children…..

4. Rory says

This is so sad. They were my favorite celebrity couple. I hope they still keep them selves dedicated to their children.

5. Noelle says

This is really sad! They were a couple I really admired and never thought they’ll break up. I like the way they managed to keep their private life hidden. But…
    I wish them a bunch of luck.

6. Lolitha says

Im now hearing ryan cheated with another actress,well Reese time to move on and Dori speculation of the splitt was rife after Reese won the oscar so i guess he felt muh better in the arms of this Australian actress who is not that well known unlike Reese who commands a better pay than him.Ryan is such a chicken what did Reese do to deserve it.Im sure had he won the oscar she would still be by his side.I saw a change in him after thoe oscars he no longer smiled in the post Oscar pics and stuff and Reese was seen increasingly out with the kids without Ryan.If she still has Jaqouin Phoenix numbers i say nnow is a good time to call him up,They looked Good together in walk the line.

7. Cheyenne says

Awww, I can’t believe it… They used to be my favorite hottest hollywood couple… but guess it’s for the best.

8. nikki says

OMG thast so sad !! they were a very grounder couple!
    i mean they looked like they were gonna be 2gether 4ever!

9. Lucia says

oh i can’t beleive this! how sad. I love them both, they are such great people and wonderful parents. I really hope they can work things out. I hate how so many marriages are coming apart. No wonder so many people decide not to marry these days. Well, i wish them both well and again, i hope they can work things out. I’m so sad for both of them.

10. dori says

Do you think when a hollywood couple both make movies and one of them does better than the other it causes a riff in the marriage? Like a jealousy?

11. Lolitha says

AJ fan Have they tried Love? i Mean if all fails try love Oscars,OnScreen Romance ,Movie scripts etc aside try love.

12. AJ Fan says

That is sad news. They are a beautiful couple and I really hope they can work things out. It seems like they have tried very hard though. Hopefully whatever happens they will be happy and enjoy their lives, their children and much success in the future.

13. Lolitha says

Im so deperesses about this,why,Is it because of the Oscar.Its like i just had someone died.I love Reese and Ryan looked like such a goodman.It seems like they were a normal family,i heard her on Oprah one day saying Oh we do have a chef in my house,her name is Reese,i love making anything with cheese…ohhhh, i need to dry my tears now.What did that Marriage counseller tell them.Someone nominate ryan for an Oscar so he does’nt feel overshadowed my his wife succes.

14. ashleigh says

i loved this couple its such a shame that they had to split up. I wish them all the best, they seemed to be such a great loving family with wonderful children.

15. dori says

This is surprising and sad news indeed. I thought this couple would make it. Being a hollywood couple is difficult to survive. I wonder what went wrong. They seemed so great together.

Aww, that’s sad to hear. They were a really cute couple and they have two beautiful children. Hopefully they are just doing what’s best for themselves and for their family. I wish them the best of luck

17. carleigh says

I hope they can work it out because they seemed like such a devoted, loving, committed couple. If I am not mistaken aren’t these two the ones who were involved in ongoing marital counseling and a “prevenative measure” to ensure the longevity of their marriage? I may be wrong but I am almost sure i read that somewhere awhile back. I don’t know but I just hope they can make it work!

18. PS says

And the same thing will happen to Tom and Katie and Brad and Angelina and whoever. Not wishing it, just expecting it.

19. CHloe says

This is too sad!!!!! i love both of them

why hollywood star always wanted split, they r ruin their career ……..Come on!!!!
    i bet a few years later ……. or even in a few months…

Reese or Ryan will find a new gf/bf!! it is so unfair to the children!!!

it is the same thing happen to Tom cruise and Nicole Kidman

20. Kary says

Yes, this is very sad. Maybe they’ll try and work things out. But if not maybe it’ll be for the best!

21. Kelsey says

The news of this split put a complete damper on my day. As soon as I found out, I called my sister to tell her the news…we were both so sad. I have a huge amount of respect for Reese as an actress, as a mother, and as a woman. Although I don’t know her personally, it hurts me to know that someone I truly admire has to go through the painful process of a divorce. I really thought Ryan and Reece were going to go all the way, but it seems like they did their best to keep their marriage untarnished for as long as possible. I hope people give them the privacy that they need during this time.

22. Jenn says

AWWWW!!! Iam so sad to read this! They have been together for so long, too sad, they were so real and honest about their relationship, I hate to see this end! :O(

23. Alexis says

So very typical of Hollyweird life. Talk was Ryan got jealous of Reese’s onscreen and offscreen relationship with Joaquin while filming Walk the Line. Hopefully the children will adjust as normally as possible. They are precious kids indeed.

24. Ann-Marie says

Kristen, I got the same reaction. I love Reese, she is a beautiful actress. I loved her in Just like Heaven (my favourite movie). Goodluck to them both, and their children.

25. Shea says

Very sad!!!!!! they did try though for a long time. I hope they try to work things out too. But if they dont then, maybe , its for the better for them. 🙁

26. Kristin says

wow, reading the headline for the first time gave me an upset stomach as if I were hearing about my sister! Good luck to you both!

27. kk_619 says

Awww thats so sad. There are not many celeb couples that anyone thinks will last, but these 2 were definately a couple that I thought would last. Im very sorry for them and their family!!

28. kelley says

I hope they can work things out. They always seemed so grounded. They were pretty young when they married, and from what other sites are saying Ryan has beeb being a bad boy/