Police Investigating Allegation Of Abuse Of Geri Halliwell's Three-Month-Old Daughter

Geri Halliwell

Things like this are so scary.

Police are investigating an allegation of abuse involving the three-month-old daughter of the former Spice Girl Geri Halliwell, it emerged last night.

A statement from Ms Halliwell’s personal assistant Antony Read confirmed that the singer had made a complaint to the Child Protection Unit at a London police station on 18 August. The complaint regarded “an incident concerning her daughter Bluebell while in the care of a temporary member of staff”, the statement said.

It continued: “Bluebell is now happy and well, and there are no further concerns for her welfare. The matter is now under investigation by the police and therefore we are unable to make any further comment.”

Ms Halliwell, 33, gave birth to Bluebell in May. The News of the World reported that the singer had found the baby “bruised and bawling” when they were staying with friends at a cottage in the grounds of Liphook Golf Club, Hampshire. The former Spice Girl went for a stroll, leaving the child with the temporary member of staff. When she returned, she found Bluebell to be “obviously in distress”.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “We are investigating an allegation of physical abuse of a three-month-old baby. The child abuse investigation unit is investigating, and inquiries continue. There have been no arrests.” Police emphasised that the allegations of abuse “are of a physical and not sexual nature”.

Comments

1. braydie says

I love that name alyssa my niece’s name is that..we call her lissie lol. I could stay home if I wanted. my husband makes alot of money but I love my job and I love doing what I do. Who gets to travel everywhere, help people, protect the U.S. and meet world leaders? I also carry a gun which my husband thinks is hot. I looked up daycares about 30 and I only found 3…3!! that didnt have someone working there that wasnt supposed to be there with children. It was sad. I actually found at one daycare…a child molester! lets just say, with what I do for a living, that place is no longer in business. I only take my baby to the daycare i found to be excellent about 2 maybe 3 times a week. I dont really want someone else raising my child….dont get me wrong daycare for working mothers is great, i remember when I didnt have a pot to piss in and had 3 kids to look after, I LOVED daycare lol…but now that I can afford to have him home, I do as often as I can.

2. carleigh says

Ah…I did that too Braydie..you can never be too careful about who you leave the rugrats with. I hated having to leave Alyssa when she was so young but if we want to eat at my house I’ve gotta work. Kudos and jealous of the mom’s who actually get to stay home and be w/ their babies all day long..that’s a rare privilege and joy! I loved it!

3. braydie says

I believe she meant that parents should look into the daycares/employees that take care of their children. Like i did.

4. Lisa says

daycare is a part of a lot of peoples lives-like previous posters note: DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. carleigh says

I totally understand. I know I would absolutely F’ing KILL if someone touched my kids in an abusive way at all. I just hope her baby will be OK and doesn’t have like shaken baby syndrome or something.

6. braydie says

carleigh your right….every kind of child abuse happens more in family/very good friend of family situations then by another person…however who leaves there 3 month old with a hotel satff member? a temporary one at that? No one thinks it can happen to them UNTIL it does. thats why as mothers we should ALL know NOT to leave our child with people that we dont know. I did a TOTAL background check on all the people that work at the day care i take my son to, he only goes maybe 2 times a week and it cost me a good amount of money to do a check but it was worth it. I found at one place i looked at that 4 of their 17 employees had records for something…2 with having to do with children, even the owners of the place didnt know about their records… It does pay to check on the people that are with your kids. and she didnt know one thing about this person. I love my mother, shes raised 6 kids and did a great job … however I still hesitate also when i leave him with her…. I think it is just how mothers are. Geri really should of known better carleigh and im not saying your wrong by any means, Im just glad her baby will be ok.

7. carleigh says

This situation could have happened to anyone and just because someone’s family watches their child doesn’t make them exempt from a family member abusing their child. I don’t think Geri would have left her child alone with the thought of coming back and finding her child abused or in distress. I had to go back to work when my youngest was 3 months old and although the lady I left her with was a distant cousin and I had known her pratically all my life, I still was hesitant just because I wasn’t the one taking care of her. As a parent we hesitate to leave our kids and would spend every waking moment putting them in a protective bubble if we could but unfortunately things like this are as common for someone who has access to top-quality childcare as it is for someone who leaves their child with a babysitter or nanny. Abuse can happen anywhere and anytime and anyone is capable..there is more to this story than what we have been privy to read above.

8. Lisa says

maybe cut back on the pilates, yoga and going out, take care of your baby yourself and something as terrible as this would not happen. I feel for everyone here, but avoidable

9. chrissi says

geri is lovely. my daughter is nearly 5 months old and i only trust her with family. just goes to show how u cant leave ur kids with “strangers” any more

10. Jude says

Well said Braydie. Couldn’t agree more. Lets not forget though that Geri is a bit light in the brains department. Wonder what this will do for the father’s case for access?

11. braydie says

I think we all agree that she was a idiot for allowing a temporary member of there staff to watch her daughter. WHAT was she thinking? was the “stroll” worth her daughter being abused? This is as much HER fault as it was the temp staffer. I would of Never left my baby with a hotel staff memeber…for any reason! All mothers know not to leave their children with strangers, and as a semi celeb…she should know even more so not to leave her baby unattended with a stranger. I feel so bad for her baby, no baby ever deserves to be abused. she should of known better.

What the hell???? That is terrible and that is why the only people who watch my kids besides thier dad, are my brother or sister in law!!!! SCARY STUFF!!!!

13. Jenn says

See, that is why you should take care of your own kids, and not leave them in the care of other, expecially people who are temporary!!! I am so sorry that this happen to this little baby, hopefully the mother will start taking care of her now.

14. BritishMumma says

The only person I trust alone with my baby is my mother and my sister, I would never ever ever leave my baby with a ‘temporary member of staff’

15. Vinnie says

That’s not right? poor bluebell hope we find out what really happened, abusing babies is so totally wrong!

16. Jessi says

A temporary member of staff? Did she do a police check, references, etc? It amazes me how people put their most precious treasures in hands of strangers. Nice job Geri.